Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: GM 6: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 6/1/13

Default Re: GM 6: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 6/1/13

Also, Roy calling out the media was amazing and I was so happy with what he said. Shaq and Barkley loved it to. Say what you want about Shaq, but he is never easy on big guys yet he loves Roy. The fact that Shaq has so much respect for Roy should tell you something, Shaq knows what it takes to be a successful big man in this league.. i'm sorry but having perfect manners and no attitude is not part of the formula.
    Last edited by Jon Theodore; 06-02-2013 at 12:50 AM.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't even begin to describe to you how much I hate that Roy Hibbert's comments are a big deal. The sad thing? The quick, "no homo" comment is going to generate bigger outrage than him calling a room full of people motherf***ers to their faces. The guy was being candid and humorous. Chill the **** out. People in this society are searching for ways to be slighted anymore. It's terrible.
    1. It probably should. Gay people didn't deserve to be insulted. The media on the other hand..Roy just said what we were all thinking. :P

2. It might not be a bad thing. When Auriemma has a young team, he actually has been known to say ..outlandish stuff..(He once said there were just as many grads from Duke as Uconn working as waitresses, Duke grads were just working at better restaurants..) Not only to take the fans focus off his team..but also to take the media focus off his young team.

Obviously...different strategies and techniques apply..but quite frankly, there's more similarities than differences in coaching strategies/team morality strategies for men and women and College ball and NBA. It may be to some of the younger players benefits that...instead of perhaps PG constantly hearing about how he needs to be a superhero..and Lance hearing about how he needs to play great on the road..the only thing that is discussed tomorrow is Roy's stupid comments. (I don't think Roy did it intentionally like Geno would. But it may have the same effect.)

Just a possibility. Sometimes it's not the best thing in the world for the sports media to be talking a young team up. They need to have confidence sure..but there's also a bit of pressure that comes with it.

Now..can we all stop whinning about this. Roy made a few off color jokes..okay..he should apologize. He's a good person. Whatever.

We just beat the Heat and are one game away from the finals. Tonight is a good night.
    Last edited by Sookie; 06-02-2013 at 12:44 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is there anything we can do to get this back to basketball? I really, really want this thread to be about basketball so I can continue to enjoy this moment with my fellow Pacers fans.

Maybe this?

"Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

This playoff run has been remarkable either way. My initial feeling about Monday is complete ambivalence. On one hand, we play a good game, we have a legit shot. On the other hand, the dreaded offensive drought could rear it's ugly head and, coupled with a Heat catharsis of intensity, turn things ugly.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

8. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

No homo? I have gay people in my nuclear family who could not possibly discern anything offensive in that term.

Mother****er? Yeah, I heard that on the school bus from the 5th graders when I was probably 8.

We're one game away from the mother****ing NBA finals people. Lighten up and enjoy the ride.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

You can tell him now (above posters son who apparently is learning what is right or wrong by watching Roy Hibbert speak late at night) or he will learn it in a short amount of time. Matter of preference. It could be a good chance to teach your son a lesson....inform him how Roy Hibbert will be fined and relate that to a form of punishment he is more familiar with.

ALSO, has anyone here ever said something in the moment and regretted it seconds later???....I did it today at work and offended an employee of mine (I am the Manager and did not take the situation lightly, I felt horrible). Roy is human, just like all of us. He is not here to teach our kids how to behave.
    Last edited by Jon Theodore; 06-02-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    No, it's inherently homophobic.

A person says the phrase to separate their actions or phrases from being homosexual, because being homosexual is a negative. It's similar to saying "you throw like a girl" and then claiming that's not inherently sexist. In specific cases, it isn't, but inherently..it is.

However, in this case......honestly..it was more of a "oops..I made a comment that a 13 year old boy (or all of his teammates) would think was a sexual innuendo." I don't like that he used it....but the context that he used it in is too funny.
    You disproved your stance in the process of stating it. YOU are the one applying the connotation that being homosexual is a negative, not Roy Hibbert. Roy was simply, as you already stated, separating his comment from being homosexual. There was no negative connotation attached to his statement. You assumed there was. What Roy said is no different than a gay man saying "no hetero". Words are defined not by how they are spoken, but by how they are interpreted.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to D0NT SH0OT ME For This Useful Post:

Roy Hibbert was trending on Twitter. I clicked to see some comments and almost all of them were about his "no homo" comment. Horrible press for him and the team.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Okay, so I'll just tell my young son who's a Pacer fan that the language Roy chose to use in a public forum was no big deal?
    You tell him that the language he used is regrettable but is becoming prevalent in the society he's growing up in. Then you ask him to study Roy's entire body of work and understand that in the heat of the moment, the best of us say silly things. Then get back to talking basketball.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jdw For This Useful Post:

We can win this series. We have been the better team this series, I think we should've won game 1, shouldve been 4-2 on our way to the finals.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Future For This Useful Post:

I was watching the game at a bar without sound, so someone help me out here: What was the announcers' reaction to that foul on LeBron? What were they saying about it? For the life of me I cannot figure out how that could possibly be called a foul on LeBron, but they usually at least present the referee's side of the case. What was said about it?

Paul George played like a superstar, David West played his heart out while running a fever. This was an epic game. Royzilla is going to raze Miami to the ground on Monday.

Also, Roy Hibbert can say whatever the F he wants. He has Charles Barkley status after this playoff run as far as I am concerned. Roy's not running for president, he's not here to be your kid's role model, he isn't the leading candidate to be your next youth minister. He's a basketball player.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

I was watching the game at a bar without sound, so someone help me out here: What was the announcers' reaction to that foul on LeBron? What were they saying about it? For the life of me I cannot figure out how that could possibly be called a foul on LeBron, but they usually at least present the referee's side of the case. What was said about it?
    I was absolutely astonished when watching the replays that they called the wipe away foul. He did nothing that even remotely looked like an attempt to hold Hibbert off.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post

Is there anything we can do to get this back to basketball? I really, really want this thread to be about basketball so I can continue to enjoy this moment with my fellow Pacers fans.

Maybe this?

Lets take Game 7!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D0NT SH0OT ME View Post
    You disproved your stance in the process of stating it. YOU are the one applying the connotation that being homosexual is a negative, not Roy Hibbert. Roy was simply, as you already stated, separating his comment from being homosexual. There was no negative connotation attached to his statement. You assumed there was. What Roy said is no different than a gay man saying "no hetero". Words are defined not by how they are spoken, but by how they are interpreted.
    That Hibbert felt the need to specifically state that his comments had no homosexual connotation is all the evidence one needs to know that he thinks homosexuality is bad and shameful. Why else would he use the phrase?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Lebron led with his knee and his elbow into Roy who was mostly (although he did have his arm coming down - because Lebron's knee was into his stomach) straight up.

That's apparently a call the refs have been making (not against Lebron obviously). In fact, it's one that was made against Battier earlier in the series.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I was absolutely astonished when watching the replays that they called the wipe away foul. He did nothing that even remotely looked like an attempt to hold Hibbert off.
    Led with his knee.

Even Heat fanatic Steve Kerr said it was a good call.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post

Also, Roy Hibbert can say whatever the F he wants. He has Charles Barkley status after this playoff run as far as I am concerned. Roy's not running for president, he's not here to be your kid's role model, he isn't the leading candidate to be your next youth minister. He's a basketball player.
    Yes, Hibbert can say whatever he wants, but as an employee and representative of the NBA he can and certainly should suffer punishment for casting the league in a negative light. Furthermore, he must also suffer the backlash from people exercising their 1st Amendment right to criticize him for his immaturity and homophobia.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

I watched that replay with no sound probably 7 or 8 times and never noticed the knee. Pretty weak call. Even so, the biggest play was Paul George's three after Mike Miller and his lady hair (plz moral police don't call me sexist it was a joke) cut the lead to 6. That PG rises to the occasion. His growth in the league has absolutely astonished me.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Roy Hibbert was trending on Twitter. I clicked to see some comments and almost all of them were about his "no homo" comment. Horrible press for him and the team.
    I just looked at it. There are a few tweets about it. Most are about the MF'er. It's not nearly as bad as you just made it sound.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Even Heat fanatic Steve Kerr said it was a good call.
    Steve Kerr has to be a fan of a great player making role players relevant ha!

You politically correct liberals make me sick. Quit making something bigger than it truly is.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magic P For This Useful Post:

We can definitely win. We should have won twice down there and after 9 games we have a winning record versus them. Cut down on mistakes and it is very possible.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

people need to lighten up.....

46. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post: