Thread: Bball's 2013 Indy 500 pics and random thoughts

Default Bball's 2013 Indy 500 pics and random thoughts

I'm pretty sure we left a little earlier than usual this year but we ended up in worst traffic than usual. Not sure if that meant more attendees or we just ended up timing our arrival to our exit about the same time every other race fan did. That said, our parking spot was incredibly easy to get back on the road from and traffic away was a breeze.

Getting into the track itself wasn't as hard for us as some but then again we cheated a little bit... we settled on a gate and the line was actually flared in the shape of a "Y"... so we just got in the center portion of the "Y" and took about 5 mins to get in.
    After we were in, looking around the place it was pretty obvious there were several people stuck in longer lines. From our vantage point we could see empty seats inside, and growing lines outside. That's something the speedway is going to have to work out.

Weather was cool but not the factor I was expecting.

I overheard someone in the row in front of me talking to his pals as the cars roared past after taking the green "How awesome was THAT!?" he exclaimed....

Great racing all day long... The finish might not have been the most exciting finish but it certainly was a satisfying finish for most of the fans and race teams alike. The second that final yellow came out there was a quick murmur that grew to a roar as it sunk in that Kanaan was leading and was going to win his first Indy 500.

Gomer returns

No Florence Henderson this year though... Can't say I missed her. I hope she's well but I can do without her warbling. She doesn't mean the same to the festivities as Gomer. But Jim is getting up there in age...

The cars roll off to begin the parade laps:

Rahal pits:

Kanaan leads RHR into the pits and locks it up to get down to the pit road speed limit:

To quote Beavis "Fire, Fire, Fire...":

And it's out...

...after contact with the pitwall...

Helio:

Sato in the pits:

RHR:

Pit stops led by Carpenter:

Will Power:

TK heads to victory lane:

And the proverbial and traditional shot of the crowd headed down Georgetown after the race:

Last edited by Bball; 05-27-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bball's 2013 Indy 500 pics and random thoughts

Damn good seats!
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bball's 2013 Indy 500 pics and random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure we left a little earlier than usual this year but we ended up in worst traffic than usual. Not sure if that meant more attendees or we just ended up timing our arrival to our exit about the same time every other race fan did. That said, our parking spot was incredibly easy to get back on the road from and traffic away was a breeze.

Getting into the track itself wasn't as hard for us as some but then again we cheated a little bit... we settled on a gate and the line was actually flared in the shape of a "Y"... so we just got in the center portion of the "Y" and took about 5 mins to get in.
    After we were in, looking around the place it was pretty obvious there were several people stuck in longer lines. From our vantage point we could see empty seats inside, and growing lines outside. That's something the speedway is going to have to work out.
    Ha, yeah that's what we did too. There was no way we were going to wait in the long portion of the line. We "cheated" I guess, but no one noticed. I agree that the Speedway is going to have to fix this next year. I fully understand the increased security in wake of the Boston Marathon, but you need to have far more checkpoints when you're talking about the largest sporting event in the world. They can't tick people off like they apparently did. I unfortunately noticed quite a few empty seats on the rebroadcast, so you want everyone who was there to come back.

Fantastic race. It would have been an epic finish if it weren't for the two yellows at the end. The last few 500's have been super clean with very few accidents. I wish the masses would give this sport a chance again. It was a record low TV rating of 3.7 nationally. I'm sure the local broadcast didn't do too well either considering it was going up against Pacers-Heat.

ABC-TV's telecast of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday earned a 3.7 rating nationwide, one of the race's worst ratings performances in recent history

http://www.ibj.com/tv-ratings-droop-.../article/41594

Great stuff, Bball. I always look forward to your photos and recap.