Thread: Peyton wins Offensive Player of the Year

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Peyton wins Offensive Player of the Year

Associated Press
    NEW YORK -- Peyton Manning was a runaway winner of The Associated Press 2004 NFL Offensive Player of the Year -- as if there could be any doubt.

Manning was head and shoulders above the rest in 2004, with a record 121.1 passer rating.

The Indianapolis Colts' star quarterback had perhaps the greatest passing season in league history. He broke Dan Marino's 20-year-old record with 49 touchdown passes and had a passer rating of an almost unfathomable 121.1, shattering Steve Young's mark of 112.8 set in 1994. Manning threw only 10 interceptions and led the Colts to the AFC South title with a 12-4 record.

Manning earned 35 votes from a nationwide panel of 48 writers and broadcasters who cover pro football. He easily outdistanced Eagles receiver Terrell Owens and Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who each got four votes.

He also turned two of his previously unaccomplished receivers, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley, into threats almost on a par with Manning's favorite target, perennial Pro Bowler Marvin Harrison. All caught at least 10 touchdown passes and went over 1,000 yards in receiving -- an unprecedented combination for three teammates.

"I feel more comfortable than I did last year," said Manning, who was co-MVP in 2003 along with Steve McNair of Tennessee. "My goal every year has been to be a better player every year than the year before, and I really fell I've done that. I feel I am a better player this year than last year."

And how.

Rarely, if ever, has a quarterback been so dominant. Manning, 28, had a six-touchdown performance on Thanksgiving Day at Detroit. He had three five-TD games (against Green Bay, Kansas City and Houston) and two with four touchdowns (Chicago and Minnesota). Against the NFC North alone, he threw for 19 touchdowns.

"Amazing," said Packers quarterback Brett Favre, who won the award in 1995. Favre held an NFL mark with 12 straight games throwing at least two TDs, which Manning also broke, finishing at 13. "I think they've built that offense to where they're at a point right now where they dare you to try to stop someone, and that's a hell of a place to be."

In all, Manning was 336-for-497 for 4,557 yards and hit on 67.6 percent of his throws. Three times, he had a passer rating above 140.

Perhaps the only one relatively unimpressed was, well, Manning.

"The regular season is over with and it's been a good run for us," he said. "Statistically, those things don't carry a lot of weight in the playoffs."

What could carry weight in the postseason, which Indianapolis opens Sunday by hosting Denver, is the versatility of the Colts' attack. The Colts have the three terrific wideouts, good tight ends in Marcus Pollard and Dallas Clark, a solid offensive line and a Pro Bowl running back in Edgerrin James.

And, of course, Manning, whose steady rise as an NFL star has been capped by this special season, his seventh.

"I look at him as the best player in this league because of what he's responsible for and what he does for our team," Stokley said. "And then to do it at such a high level says a lot about him."

Running back Curtis Martin of the Jets received two votes, while fellow backs Jerome Bettis of the Steelers and LaDainian Tomlinson of the Chargers each got one. So did Chargers quarterback Drew Brees.

The only other Colt to win the award was QB Bert Jones of the Baltimore Colts in 1976. Last year's winner was running back Jamal Lewis of the Ravens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :

realtyczar

Default Re: Peyton wins Offensive Player of the Year

This isn't the same thing as MVP is it? I think that comes out maybe Friday?

No it is different...that comes out later in the week.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is just one more accomplishment on the road to winning MVP.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Is there a remote chance he WON'T win MVP?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has the MVP.But I suppose since he had this great great year and no one was even close they could possibly do another Co-MVP thing If it were any other person they would get the MVP alone.I will be pissed if they do a Co-MVP and give it to him and uhh someone like McNabb or even Culpepper .I dunno though I think he will get the MVP alone.But I can tell you one thing I would rather have a 1 Super Bowl over 20 MVP's.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I'm sure there will be a couple of votes for Owens because of the guy's flash alone... The MVP award should be done away with if Manning doesn't win.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I think Alan Faneca has had an MVP-caliber year. But I'm biased.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

realtyczar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Who??

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Alan Faneca is the center for the Steelers is he not? And if he is then he robbed Jeff Saturday of his pro-bowl spot.

Satuday is the the leader of the line that gave up the fewest sacks and helped produce the leagues 3rd leading rusher.

Obviously much of the pro-bowl is selected off reputation.

Alan Faneca.

Pittsburgh's best offensive player.

The best run blocker, the best "pulling guard" in the league in ten years, probably the best all-around offensive lineman in the game today.

EDIT - Jeff Hartings is our center. I believe he's going to the pro bowl for the first time ever. Great story, his knees were in such bad condition a year or two ago that he was going to retire. But Pittsburgh convinced him to come in, change positions (from guard) and join thier legendary list of centers.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Alright, I won't argue for many of our lineman. Especially the tackles (I think Tarik Glenn holds the record for most consecutive games with a false start). Other than Saturday I'll say that the rest of the lineman are average at best.

This is just another reason why Saturday has been so impressive. He handles all of Peyton's audibles, fake audibles, and other involuntary spasms and at the same time keeps him protected and gives the Edge space to run through.

I'll admit Saturday has a tough job in that all-audible, all-the-time offense.

As you've said, the Colts O-Line has had a good year.

realtyczar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I would vote for Michael Vick, if I didn't vote for Peyton. Not that I think that Vick is a great QB, but he means more to the Falcons, than any other player on a team. (Okay, EXCEPT Peyton.) Without Vick the Falcons are a sub 500 team. Maybe even struggle to win 3-4 games. With Vick they are a division contender. AND Vick packs the Georgia Dome. When he doens't play, they don't sell out. You can't say that about many players.

And yet he still can't beat the Pats, or any well-coached D for that matter.

Oh well.

IndyToad
    It even sticks to tile

You did watch the game against the Ravens, didn't you? You know, where you opened your mouth prematurely and got proven wrong, while... never admitting it?

I watched that game, and I was shocked at how much Baltimore got out-coached... my opinion of Brian Billick really sank during those three hours. Perhaps he only looks like a great coach against Pittsburgh because those matchups are strength vs. strength. (running game vs. front seven on both sides of the ball.)

So I'm still not sure that qualifies.

Billick is a terrific coach, but their offense is bad because they dont have any good receivers. But a very good team. The problem with New England is that they don't read that much into the audibles, so they do a terrific job against us. It is very tough to outsmart them.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.