Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's official imo. Roy has earned his contract.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It's official imo. Roy has earned his contract.

He's playing like he should be getting LeBron money right now. I'm just fine with his contract, he anchors the best defense in the NBA and is indispensible even if he doesn't score at all. He has come up in big games all throughout the playoffs. Without him we don't get to where we are now, and he's probably our most important, even if not our best, player. If he didn't have that wrist injury we have 2 all-nba players and 2 all-stars instead of just George.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Hibbert has been playing like an all-star since March and has actually stepped up larger in the playoffs. Roy has the right attitude (like the team Roy knows who he is) and a great work ethic which means he will continue to improve. The contract is a bargain in my mind because Roy makes the Pacers a match-up problem for almost every other team in the league.

Banned

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=McKeyFan;1652439]A lot of legitimate discussion has taken place on this board regarding whether Roy has earned his large contract or whether he should have ever received it.

Good arguments for both sides from many members of this board have been articulated, and the intensity heightened as Roy continued to slump.

Roy has always been streaky. I posted several times this year that we will know the answer to the question of whether Roy earned his contract by how he performs in the playoffs. If he can time his streakiness to be of the positive sort come postseason, then he is worth the money. That was my position.

Roy Hibbert has showed up for the playoffs. Great first round. Great second round. Superb performance in Game 6 when it counted, and another great game last night against the Heat.

I suppose he could suddenly tank for the rest of this series, but I doubt it. I waited until it was pretty clear what his playoff performance was, and it's not too early to say it anymore:

Roy has earned his money. Congrats big fella.

Roy earned his contract BEFORE he signed it...... He is already working on the next one...

IMO, there was little doubt the Pacers had to match the contract and give it to him. So in that sense he "earned" it. But so did JO at the point he got his big contract. Roy is showing why they had to give it to him now. But again, so did JO initially. In both instances the player "earned" the contract before getting it and initially showed they deserved it. However, we still look back at the JO contract with regret. I hope the same doesn't happen with Hibbert. He has shown brilliance before only to not be able to sustain it. IIRC Hibbert was a big factor early in the Miami series last year and faded for various reasons late in the series. I haven't went back and checked, but that's my memory. Regardless, my real point is that you can't truly justify a contract like that based on a series, a few months, or even a year or two. A contract that size has to be "earned" throughout its duration or it will kill the team - just as JOs eventually did. Roy is certainly off to a good start. Lets hope he keeps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO, there was little doubt the Pacers had to match the contract and give it to him. So in that sense he "earned" it. But so did JO at the point he got his big contract. Roy is showing why they had to give it to him now. But again, so did JO initially. In both instances the player "earned" the contract before getting it and initially showed they deserved it. However, we still look back at the JO contract with regret. I hope the same doesn't happen with Hibbert. He has shown brilliance before only to not be able to sustain it. IIRC Hibbert was a big factor early in the Miami series last year and faded for various reasons late in the series. I haven't went back and checked, but that's my memory. Regardless, my real point is that you can't truly justify a contract like that based on a series, a few months, or even a year or two. A contract that size has to be "earned" throughout its duration or it will kill the team - just as JOs eventually did. Roy is certainly off to a good start. Lets hope he keeps it up.
    To be fair, JO had bad knees. I'm still amazed how Bird was able to unload his contract for what we got.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    To be fair, JO had bad knees. I'm still amazed how Bird was able to unload his contract for what we got.
    I'm certainly not a JO hater, although I wanted him moved way before he was. I guess that is part of my point though. There are many ways that we could come back to regret the Hibbert contract. He certainly wouldn't be the first 7' 2" player who's body let him down if it occurred. Injuries may be outside the players control but they don't hurt the team any less.

Edit - for the record I'm not trying to be negative about Roy. I think they had to keep him (if the didnt trade him the previous year) and I think he is certainly justifying it right now. I just don't think you can say it has all worked out at this point. It's a long contract and its often in the later years that contracts look ridiculous. Now if they win a title that Roy plays a big part of, you can say it was worth it, but otherswise, IMO, you can only say he is earning it currently. Again, not trying to be negative but I remember the hate for JO and a decent amount came from the team being hamstrung with his contract. Roy is not immune from being in the same boat.
    Last edited by rm1369; 05-26-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Banned

I wonder where are the people that wanted to start Mahinmi in his place? lol

Banned

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I wonder where are the people that wanted to start Mahinmi in his place? lol

It is amazing how those people disappear. How about everyone who wanted him traded?

To be fair, he earned it a lkong time ago. Yes he was not playing well, but he understood and noticed that and sought help - many players, could have sat back and enjoyed the pay check. Roy wasn't like that - he did what he needed to do to get back to normal
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    IIRC Hibbert was a big factor early in the Miami series last year and faded for various reasons late in the series. I haven't went back and checked, but that's my memory.
    The problem in those games were our guards. They weren't able to get the ball to Hibbert or West. After Granger went down with the series tied at 2-2 we almost forgot how to get the ball in the post.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014