Thread: Why the Pacers should Consider NT's Tony Mitchell

Default Why the Pacers should Consider NT's Tony Mitchell

After this season, and looking at this draft and our position in it. I really feel that if we have the opportunity to get him in the draft that we should go for him. He reminds me of PG24, not in his game, but in his story. He is coming from North Texas, a small unknown school, he is extremely athletic(6'9" 235lbs), is potentially the steal of the draft and has a huge ceiling. This guy could be a great replacement for West, and if he hits his ceiling, the young core of PG24, Lance, Tony Mitchell, and Hibbert would be extremely lethal. Here is the link to his profile and some of his videos, and here is his espn statistical page showing where as a freshman he put up 15ppg, 10reb, 3blks, 2ast, and 1stl, while shooting 57% from the field, and 44% from beyond the arc. Admittedly stat wise he did fall off a bit this past season(his sophomore year), but not that much, the Mean Green went through a head coaching, and offensive scheme change in the off-season, and the team as a whole struggled with the new plays that were being ran. Tony also played out side his position at the 5 spot due to his athleticism and defense, but that didn't stop him from breaking the NT's records for single-season and career blocks, or puttting up 12 double-doubles this season including a monster game against Troy where he went for 29pts, 15rebs and 4blks. Tony is currently rated 7th on the CBS sports college players list, and I see him as being a more athletic Kenneth Faried whom I think we would all be happy to be have as Pacer. Sorry for the rant, let me know what you all think about this guy and how he could impact our team, to be honest I would love to see us get a high pick for Danny and maybe take a pg first, then Tony with our pick later. Just imagine what in 3 years what a starting lineup of trey burke, Born Ready, PG24, Tony Mitchell, Hibbert could do.
    Last edited by BornReady#6; 05-22-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

Default Re: Why the Pacers should Consider NT's Tony Mitchell

There is a thread for this kinda stuff.

Having said that, I was really unimpressed with Tony's lack of growth. He didn't improve his game in any way. He just started chucking up more outside shots and missing at a higher clip. Why would the Pacers want him?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady#6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ......................... potentially the steal of the draft and has a huge ceiling...............
    Same thing is said about 50 other players in each draft.

Mitchell's lack of growth and movement towards the outside go hand and hand. The offense he was in was a train wreck, and every game Tony was getting double and triple teamed, and still played good given his circumstances. His defensive presence, athleticism, and ability to hit the mid range makes him a threat, and he was the star of NT with hardly no supporting cast, or big men to help on either side of the court. When you take all the variables Tony did a great job getting through a tough season and situation, and when you take away that, this kid is a great ball player and athletic specimen, not mention his ability to do what most 4's in the league don't do today, and that is play defense ans rebound the basketball. This guy is gonna be good, I have knack for good young talent coming into the NBA, I called Dwade a future NBA superstar when he was in the confrence USA tournament in Louisville, that DeJuan Blair would be a good NBA player and was a steal for the Spurs, and last year half way through the college season I said Damian Lillard would not only be ROY but would become an instant top tier pg in this league, and a few others in between those. I'm in no way saying this kid is gonna be the next KG or JO, but he is gonna be good, and real good, and if he works hard and has the right people behind him like the Pacers can provide, then he could reach those heights. I will say on record the Victor Oladipo is going to do extremely well and will do something between Deng and Wade.
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

I like Mitchell as a prospect. He reminds me of a JJ Hickson/Terrance Jones type player. Being under the tutilage of David West, I believe Mitchell can be a solid role player in the NBA.

Dutch Pacers Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady#6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This guy is gonna be good, I have knack for good young talent coming into the NBA, I called Dwade a future NBA superstar when he was in the confrence USA tournament in Louisville, that DeJuan Blair would be a good NBA player and was a steal for the Spurs, and last year half way through the college season I said Damian Lillard would not only be ROY but would become an instant top tier pg in this league, and a few others in between those.
    Really, patting yourself on the back does not add extra value to your assessment of a player and his potential. Also, I'm not that happy with just shipping out Danny for peanuts as you propose. Actually, let's not ship out Danny at all, and see what he can do for us after going hard all these years.
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!