Thread: Michigan school district lays off all its teachers

Default Michigan school district lays off all its teachers

How did it get to this point?!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Michigan school district lays off all its teachers

File photo of school road sign (Thinkstock)
    The Board of Education in Buena Vista, Mich., has declared a financial emergency. The school district lacks the funds to pay teachers for the rest of the school year, MLive.com reports.
    Students from the Buena Vista School District have not attended classes in a week, according to MLive.com. The district laid off all its teachers earlier this week.
    The financial problems stem from three months of withheld state aid payments from the Michigan Department of Education. MLive.com reports that "the district took $401,962.51 to educate students from the Wolverine Secure Treatment Center who no longer attend the district."
    The district also is suffering from declining enrollment, which has led to a loss in state funding, according to MLive.com
    Michigan Senate Democratic Leader Gretchen Whitmer has asked Gov. Rick Snyder to provide emergency funds to the district, according to the Detroit News.
    Via The Detroit News:
    Snyder said Thursday he hopes to quickly resolve the financial crisis that caused the small Saginaw County system to lay off employees and close its doors. But the rainy day fund won't be used to bailout Buena Vista schools, Snyder said, because "that's not what the rainy day fund is really intended for."
    "There's a lot of discussion going on this topic and I hope we have a resolution," he said. "The most important thing is how do we make sure these kids can finish the school year."
    The official site for the Buena Vista School District explains that in addition to all teachers (and the vast majority of staff) being laid off, their benefits, including health insurance, have been terminated.
    Some teachers have offered to work this week for free. The district's site explains that "Michigan law requires that employers pay employees for work performed. We thank the teaching staff for their dedication, and understand their frustration. However, we must follow the law."
    Unable to send their children to school in their home district, parents of affected students are seeking alternatives in a neighboring district so that their children may finish the school year, WNEM.com reports.
    Below, commentary from MSNBC's Chris Hayes.

woman without a team

Default Re: Michigan school district lays off all its teachers

It got to that point because the state of MI has no money. For that matter neither does the Federal Government.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

I know but its a shame that they're letting education go I would've let other things go first if possible.

Sports Logo

If teachers are offering to work free but the law says they have to be paid can't they just "pay" them a dollar or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If teachers are offering to work free but the law says they have to be paid can't they just "pay" them a dollar or something?
    Possibly a problem doing that if there is a contract between the state and a teacher's union. You know how Michigan loves it's unions (contributing to a BUNCH of the state's problems, in my opinion).

There is also something called the minimum wage.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, Michigan is a disaster of a state.

We will start to see some of the same things here in Indiana in the not too distance future as Charter schools and Religious private schools take up more and more of the education dollars with the voucher plans. You will see various township school systems disappear.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

10 years or so ago Michigan stopped funding education via property taxes. The tax on the family farm went down something like $5000/year. (Which I'm glad I don't have to pay) I'd have to do some checking to see how schools are funded now.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..