Thread: AQ Shipley Traded to Baltimore.

Default AQ Shipley Traded to Baltimore.

The Baltimore Ravens acquired Indianapolis Colts backup center A.Q. Shipley for a conditional 2014 NFL draft pick, the team announced Thursday.

Shipley, 26, is expected to compete with Gino Gradkowski for the starting center job with the Ravens.

The trade will be finalized after Shipley passes a physical.
    Shipley told The Baltimore Sun that he was "fired up" by the trade.

"It's a great opportunity for me. I thought I played well enough as a starter to earn a little respect around the league and get a little buzz. The Ravens get a hard worker with me. I had to work for everything I got my whole life," he told the newspaper.
    Matt Birk retired this offseason after starting every game at center for the Ravens the past four seasons.

After the Pittsburgh Steelers selected Shipley in the seventh round of the 2009 draft, he was on the practice squad for the Philadelphia Eagles for two seasons before making the active roster for the Colts. Shipley started five games last season for Indianapolis.

He played a key role on a Colts offensive line that was often decimated by injuries. He participated on special teams for Indianapolis in an AFC wild-card game in Baltimore last season.

But Shipley became expendable after the Colts selected Khaled Holmes, a center and guard from Southern California, in the fourth round of last month's draft -- part of Indy's revamped offense line that has added four new players through free agency and the draft.
    I have no idea what the pick is but some people think its a 4th rounder which seems really high for a guy like him.

Hopefully Satele stays healthy this year and Holmes comes in as a solid prospect to take over the starting position in the next 2 years.

Default Re: AQ Shipley Traded to Baltimore.

Mike McGlynn can play backup center too, if needed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

so looks like we need to be drafting a center now i was high on Shipley and thought he could of grown in to our starting center in a few more years.

what we have now is mediocre guys.

guess grigson and co are really high and might on Holmes which i am not.

first front office move i really disagree with.
    Last edited by Hypnotiq; 05-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

I think part of the reason they like Holmes is that he played through injuries last year. He played with a high ankle sprain. I think they're looking for that kind of toughness. Satele doesn't seem to have it.

They also drafted Boyett who played most of his junior season on bad knees. And last year they drafted Chapman who finished out his senior season playing with torn ligaments. I think they might be looking for the toughness gene in the players they draft.

Shipley is better than Satele. But Holmes is very likely better than both of them. My guess is that they've seen enough from Holmes to think he'll have a chance to start this year sometime. Hopefully that's true, because Satele sucks.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think part of the reason they like Holmes is that he played through injuries last year. He played with a high ankle sprain. I think they're looking for that kind of toughness. Satele doesn't seem to have it.

They also drafted Boyett who played most of his junior season on bad knees. And last year they drafted Chapman who finished out his senior season playing with torn ligaments. I think they might be looking for the toughness gene in the players they draft.
    I really, really hope a player getting injured isn't a bonus in the Colts front office.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

signed Rick Schmeig today too, undrafted C from Purdue. can't see him making the roster but never know I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I really, really hope a player getting injured isn't a bonus in the Colts front office.
    You need to work on your comprehension skills.

But I bet you're right, I doubt if getting injured is something they look for.

Don't get this move. Shipley was better and cost less. Why not cut Satelle and use the money for something else. I'm sure the Colts aren't done yet.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Shipley is better than Satele. But Holmes is very likely better than both of them. My guess is that they've seen enough from Holmes to think he'll have a chance to start this year sometime. Hopefully that's true, because Satele sucks.
    Disagree but whatever Satele was injured in Septemeber and was never right after that and there is a lot more games showing Satele is better than Shipley overall. Fans got a hard on for Shipley but most of his starts were against bad teams or teams playing there backups. I liked him but I have never heard so much praise for a backup center.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

me thinks this is also a case of grigson having his head and the sand and not wanting to admit the satele signing was wrong and not cutting him.

just another point of view.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Mood

I dont like this move. I was impressed with Shipley last season. I think Baltimore just got their starting center and potentially a very good one after gaining more experience.