Thread: Two Boys Suspended For Pointing Pencils Like Guns

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Two Boys Suspended For Pointing Pencils Like Guns

A 7-year-old boy, who was suspended for two days after playing a game of make-believe with his friend, returned to school on Wednesday.

More on Yahoo! Shine: Kindergarten Boy Suspended for His 'Distracting' Mohawk

On Friday, Christopher Marshall, a second grader at Driver Elementary School in Suffolk, Virginia and his classmate were playing with their pencils, pointing them at each other and making machine gun noises when a concerned teacher pulled them into the principals' office.

More on Yahoo! 1 in 9 middle and high schoolers suspended during school year

"I got a call from Christopher's school at 12:30 on Friday," the boy's mother, Wendy Marshall, 34, a stay-at-home mother of five, told Yahoo! Shine. "His teacher told me that Christopher and his friend were playing with pencils, making machine gun and 'bang bang' noises. I asked if they were pointing the pencils at anyone else, if they were angry or hostile, disrupting class, or refused to stop when asked and the teacher said no. I told her that I would speak to Christopher but his teacher said she was under obligation to report them anyway."

LINK
    Where is the common sense in this? Even in the incident report the teacher clearly says that she asked him to stop and he complied with her. They could have easily just said do not do that again and leave it at that, but the zero tolerance absurdity has to come in to play. I could understand if he made the gesture to another kid and was threatening them with it, but when they are just playing and stop when directed to there is not a big issue here.

I am just glad I went to school when I did because I probably would be suspended all the time now.

Default Re: Two Boys Suspended For Pointing Pencils Like Guns

The next thing you know he'll be pointing a finger at somebody and going "bang-bang"

Then we're talking about REAL hard time.

bizarre story!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The next thing you know he'll be pointing a finger at somebody and going "bang-bang"

bizarre story!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

You can do that with a pencil? Wouldn't it be more of a knife and not a gun?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

I can actually understand the thought behind the policy to an extent, post Sandy Hook, but make it an actual teaching moment!

If some kid is pretending to have a gun and your school has a policy of not tolerating even pretend gun-play at school, the teacher should ask him to stop. She did, and he stopped. The end? It should have been. If he didn't listen or was puzzled by the request, then as a teacher you take him aside and explain why they have a rule in your school about even pretending to have a gun. Have that discussion. Kids aren't stupid!

What was stupid is the "zero tolerance" where the teacher is required to report it and the kid is required to be punished, even when he stopped immediately. That was so completely ridiculous that the teaching moment was 100% lost.

Now because of the over-the-top punishment the kid rightly feels to be a victim and everyone thinks the school is run by compete idiots. The school is probably run by well-intentioned people who for some reason displayed little common sense in making absolute rules that pigeon-holed them into making irrational overreactions.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is hardly an isolated story. There was a little girl that got punished for biting her poptart in the shape of a gun. Another who had a piece of paper in the shape of a gun, another who used his fingers, and another jr high boy who got suspended and then arrested for merely wearing an NRA t-shirt to school with a gun on the front.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2903500.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2535689.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2397946.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1325252

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

In kindergarten I brought a cap gun. It was a toy. I wanted to play with it at recess. The teacher took it away, called my parents, and told me to not bring another toy to school.

If it happened today, they would have unfairly expelled me. Could these children grow into a hate for the school?

When will we push forward in hope instead of fear of what did and could happen again?

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

When Geezer Jr. was in Jr. Hi one of his classmates discovered he had his pocketknife with him. He took it to the teacher to turn in and was sent to the principal's office. After explaining what had happend he was kicked out of school (private school) He had had some behavior problems in the past and evidently they had him on Zero Tolerance. He had been doing well and hadn't had any trouble for a year, but somehow one parent who didn't like the family got wind of it and complained.

BUT he turned in the knife himself and still got punished.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is now a good time to mention that I got to shoot live weapons AT school for a grade?

... in 2005. That's right. As part of my electives to graduate high school, one of my subjects involved firearms safety and target practice.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Would my avatar get me thrown out of school?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

bizarre story!
    But the pencil could allow them to fill someone with lead....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sometimes it makes me think what the hell were they thinking. A damn pencil? Hell, in my day I couldn't get suspended for flipping the teacher the bird. I didn't get suspended for wearing a Pantera shirt that had a giant middle finger on it or smoking at lunch time. What has society come to.