Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JB wants to play, Rick holding him back

Default JB wants to play, Rick holding him back

So, for all you darksiders out there, I assume this is just David Benner pulling a Karl Rove here, and none of this is to be believed. I mean, Johnny's a wuss, this can't possibly be true.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bender_050103.html

Bender Optimistic, Team Cautious About Return

By Conrad Brunner | Jan. 3, 2005
    After his first practice in more than six weeks Monday, Jonathan Bender pronounced himself ready to return for Saturday's game in Dallas.

Bender

"I can say I'm pretty much back now," Bender said. "I've just got to get a couple of practices in and I'm looking to come back Saturday."

His optimism, while welcome, wasn't universal.

Coach Rick Carlisle and forward Jermaine O'Neal, Bender's closest friend on the team, both urged caution in developing a sense of anticipation about the oft-injured forward.

"I'm not going to talk about getting Bender back until he's back," Carlisle said. "He's doing a little better but this has been a long process. I'm optimistic, especially off of what I saw today, but until he gets a uniform back on, we're putting the cart before the horse.

Carlisle

"Let's see where he is tomorrow and the next day before we can get to Saturday. I know he's worked awfully hard. I know he's doing much better. But this is a situation where I just think we've got to err on the side of reality. We're not sure exactly how long it could take. I'm glad to hear him talk about playing. That's great news. But until he's back, I'm not going to get sucked in."

Plagued by pain in his right knee, Bender hasn't played since Nov. 17. He missed all of training camp and the preseason, then returned for the regular-season opener on Nov. 3 and played well, scoring 11 points in 16 minutes against Cleveland. But the pain returned the next day and he didn't play for two weeks. After that appearance, the pain again recurred and it was decided to shut Bender down for at least six weeks to allow the knee time to fully recover.

Bender missed 61 games last season and 36 in 2002-03 with a variety of injuries, including left knee, right shoulder and left calf. All told, he has missed 123 of the Pacers' last 171 regular-season games.

"We just want him to take his time," said O'Neal. "When we have really anticipated him coming back and playing, he's kind of taken two steps back, so we don't want to put any added pressure on him. Come back when you get the opportunity. It's a marathon. It's a long season. We haven't even reached the (All-Star) break yet.

O'Neal

"Let him get some practice time, learn some of the plays, get some rhythm and come back whenever we can. We need him for the stretch run of the season. We want him to be totally healthy and comfortable and to continue to do what he's been doing."

The past month-and-a-half have been particularly frustrating for Bender because the team was desperately shorthanded after the suspensions of O'Neal, Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest.

"It was hard, man," Bender said. "We were shorthanded and I had to sit. There really wasn't too much I could do about it."

Bender said he spent the previous four days working in New Orleans with strength and conditioning coach Mackie Shilstone. He joined the team for practice Monday and said he felt better physically than "probably since high school."

As a result, the excitement Bender felt entering training camp, before the knee pain became a problem, has returned.

"It's still there all over again," he said. "I'm excited. I was excited today just to be running with the fellas again." The rest of the Pacers will share his excitement if, this time, his comeback is complete.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: JB wants to play, Rick holding him back

Aren't the Pacers better served by making him participate in a full-contact practice, or maybe the scrimmage at the end of practice. He'll get hurt again within six minutes, guaranteed. And then you won't have a healthy player sitting on the injured list for four more games...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Great news!!! That is the right way to handle the situation.

I feel bad for Jon, I really think he wants to be out there, and has all the talent in the world, but just can't shake the injury bug.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Make him sit until he is hungry enough and healed enough to play through the pain.

The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I'm not following your logic on this at all.

Nowhere do I read where Rick is keeping him back. I read that to mean that Rick isn't going to count on him until he is actually in uniform & playing. In other words more than one practice.

Also, I could be wrong here, but what the hell does David Benner have to do with any of this? Or did you mean Conrad Brunner?

Either way, this is the Pacers news site. No offense but they know the fans are very frustrated with Bender & of course they are going to put out that poor Jon felt bad about not being able to play while the team was suspended left & right. He may or he may not have been, the problem is I won't trust the source. To further your analogy of this, it would be like going to the G.O.P. websight to get the days news around the world. While you & I would probably have no problem with that, it would hardly be a fair & unbiased reading. Just like this.

But here is hoping Jon comes back soon & can be productive.

The bitterness many of you have towards Bender is beyond my comprehension.

Oh, watch it UB. You know what's coming..."If we'd had AD, we would have beat the Lakers, regardless of the fact that Dale, a much better defender, couldn't do ***** against Shaq. Tony would have saved us, even if he was a lazy malcontent who couldn't even guard Marcus Camby, not that he tried or anything."

And Peck, yeah, I know Rick didn't say that, I was just looking to get a rise out of you. As for Benner, I naturally assumed the conspiracy buffs would just assume that the Pacers media guy was the one behind this web of deceit including the media and each and every coach Johnny's played for and teammate he's played with. You know, the one that made up the whole "he's great in practice" thing, and "he's the most talented player on our team", and "he bench presses more than anyone", and, the latest, the absurd idea that he might actually want to play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's quite simple, really. A fan fav in AD was sent packing for JB, who has been a bust so far. In addition, a few believe that we would have won the championship if AD had been in a Pacers uni during the 2000 Finals. So, in that respect, some people may believe that JB cost the Pacers a championship.

I can only speak for myself.

It truely is the Pacers fault for this. He was hyped to much. If they would have just come out & said "we've drafted a player who is not yet ready to play the game but we feel that he has the potential to become a very good player in a few years".

The problem, for me, is that they didn't do that. They hyped up the fact that he broke Jordans scoring record. Every setback was emballished with some form of mysterious great deed he could perform away from the playing floor & in practice, ie. he beats Bird routinely in h-0-r-s-e or even more recently he tears up O'Neal in practice.

Also I will not hide the fact that this guy getting his money & spot guaranteed has contributed to the loss of two players who I think would have been more benfitial to the team. Brad & Al.

I understand the knee injury, I have never faulted him for that. However it's hard see players like Artest, O'neal, Tinsley, Miller, Croshere, etc., etc. play with pain & hobbling while it just seems like Jon can't take a thing. How do I know? I don't. But Scot Pollard over the summer pretty much called him out on it.

The shoulder thing from last season was where I really got p!ssed.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that Jon doesn't understand the basic concepts of basketball. He understands the spectacular but just does not get the basics. So, IMO, if he isn't able to get up & do a windmill dunk or a high flying block he doesn't think he's contributing to the team. When all along if he could have just come in & set a pick or even relieve Croshere for 3 min. spurts so the guy could have caught his wind he would have been helping.

I think a lot of it has to do with his fans though as well. I gave up a long time ago on him being a superstar, but I still hope he can be a contributer to the team. To many of his fans keep wanting to talk about him being a great savior. We don't need a savior we just need a contributer.

I'm with Doug on this. I have no expectations for him, if he contributes great if not we are not missing anything.

That was how many years ago. The trade was 5 1/2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    A Pacers fan never forgets
    They don't?

That was how many years ago. The trade was 5 1/2 years ago.
    Well, Tony's half-assed play cost us a title 6 years ago, and I'm still not over that, so I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Well, Tony's half-assed play cost us a title 6 years ago, and I'm still not over that, so I can understand.
    The problem wasn't trading AD.... the problem was trading AD for Bender.

6 yrs ago...And before giving AD too much blame let's not let Smits off the hook either.

-Bball

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

WOW!

Honestly, those teams were as good as they could have been and made deep runs.

While we're on memory lane, let's all cut down Person while we're at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    WOW!

Honestly, those teams were as good as they could have been and made deep runs.
    Which doesn't explain why you'd use a commodity like AD (with lots of value), while you are squarely in a championship quest, to get Bender. Weren't there better trades out there?

What if we could have used AD to get JO?

-Bball

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Well, it's been a standing policy in the Pacers organization that if anyone wants to be traded, managment "will do everything in its power to make it happen." (I think those are exact words from both Donnie and Larry)

AD asked to be traded, he wanted to start, and deserved to somewhere. The pacers traded him. End of story.
    Usually, they've had good eyes for talent (they spotted JO didn't they?) but this time, it clearly hasn't worked out.

What Peck said!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Which doesn't explain why you'd use a commodity like AD (with lots of value), while you are squarely in a championship quest, to get Bender. Weren't there better trades out there?

What if we could have used AD to get JO?

-Bball
    The trade was for the #5 draft pick, which we then used to draft Bender.

Not many teams could have absorbed AD's contract in return for a draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    The trade was for the #5 draft pick, which we then used to draft Bender.

Not many teams could have absorbed AD's contract in return for a draft pick.
    ...But with the 5th pick in the draft who else could we have gotten?

I remember a fairly significant list of players...

-Bball

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey, don't be mad at Bender for a management screwup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    ...But with the 5th pick in the draft who else could we have gotten?

I remember a fairly significant list of players...

-Bball

Shawn Marion, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, Andrei Kirilenko, Wally Szczerbiak, Richard Hamilton, Frederic Weis...

(yes, we could have had Frederick Weis , sorry Rimfire )

OK - I can't keep quiet with a thread title like this, so . . .

See - Rick was a marginal player at best and even he can hold Bender back.

Back to my regularly scheduled vow of silence

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    How do I know? I don't. But Scot Pollard over the summer pretty much called him out on it.
    Pollard has played less than Bender the last three years.