Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Indiana Fever Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 Indiana Fever Thread

So you schedule a conference rival, not a team you only host once in a rematch of the WNBA Finals!

(Tinfoil hat theory: The Lynx requested it to keep that crazies that Cheryl hates so much from being behind their bench again )

Meanwhile, ESPN2 will host LA vs Tulsa tonight..... instead of the rematch of the WNBA Finals...... )
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you schedule a conference rival, not a team you only host once in a rematch of the WNBA Finals!

(Tinfoil hat theory: The Lynx requested it to keep that crazies that Cheryl hates so much from being behind their bench again )

Meanwhile, ESPN2 will host LA vs Tulsa tonight..... instead of the rematch of the WNBA Finals...... )
    There you go, thinking that showing teams who were recently in the finals is more important than showing a Big Market beating down on the worst team in the league. Clearly you don't work for ESPN with such radical non-commercial ideas.

In all fairness, though, showing #1 in the West vs. an injury-riddled shell of the team from last year currently standing at #5 in the East wouldn't have been very exciting either, I suspect. Though I don't know how the game actually went.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

In all fairness, though, showing #1 in the West vs. an injury-riddled shell of the team from last year currently standing at #5 in the East wouldn't have been very exciting either, I suspect. Though I don't know how the game actually went.
    7 point Lynx win.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Tonight is Candace versus Skylar. That's why they are showing it. If Skylar was playing at any level other than awful, this might have been a highly rated matchup. But as it is...

Anyway, the irony of the women's game has always been that despite it being more "team oriented"...it's actually more "star oriented" than the NBA. Sure, Taurasi doesn't get nearly the amount of attention that Lebron gets. But consistently, when you put the "stars" on tv, they have better ratings. Whereas market size is actually more determinative for the NBA. (It's similar with WCBB too. Everytime there is a WCBB star, it's talked about considerably more, and watched considerably more, than when there isn't.)

Sports Logo

So much fun watching the Liberty unravel. The mental makeup on that team is so incredibly fragile. Contrast that with the cohesiveness of our group and the difference is clearly apparent. At one point after our huge second half run, Pearson literally jumped up and down in place and waved her arms at a teammate in frustration in the middle of a play. I'm thinking Cappie at the point isn't a good idea...

We're right there with the Liberty now for that 4th spot. They have a home and away against Chicago coming up before playing us again. We've got a home and away with Washington. I'm thinking Chicago takes both games, so we could very realistically jump them in the standings in the near future... Slowly but surely this team is rounding into form. Just gotta dodge that injury bug. I got a little nervous when Larkins and Christmas got banged up today.

Sports Logo

Phoenix released Prahalis today. Anyone else think we should make a play for her? Other than Bri, we don't have a true PG on the roster. Our injured players are either returned or nearing return but Sam would be great insurance and she sure beats these injury replacement signings.

Don't do it.

Phoenix doesn't have another competent guard on the roster other than Taurasi, and they released Sammy.

I don't know what happened to her, she was so fun to watch last season. She got worse.

Sports Logo

So, I'm watching the Fever - Liberty game. Breland has 3 blocks in 7 minutes. That's impressive.

Lance is at the Fieldhouse, by the way.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

In the first half last night the Fever were actually running something other than a "you move, then she moves, then I move" offense. In the second half it stagnated back to everyone standing around the perimeter waiting for a pass, followed by a missed jump shot. Given Cappy able to drive a Liberty comeback, that was the story of the game, really.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Shavonte Zellous made the all star team as a reserve. Good for her, it's her first time. Of course Tamika Catchings is a starter.

EASTERN CONFERENCE RESERVES
    Guards: Alison Hightower (Connecticut Sun), Ivory Latta (Washington Mystics), Shavonte Zellous (Indiana Fever)
    Frontcourt: Tina Charles (Connecticut Sun), Sylvia Fowles (Chicago Sky), Crystal Langhorne (Washington Mystics)

WESTERN CONFERENCE RESERVES
    Guards: Danielle Robinson (San Antonio Silver Stars), Kristi Toliver (Los Angeles Sparks), Lindsay Whalen (Minnesota Lynx)
    Frontcourt: Rebekkah Brunson (Minnesota Lynx), Glory Johnson (Tulsa Shock), Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks)
    http://www.wnba.com/news/2013_allsta...es_072313.html

All Star Game was really fun. Latta, of course, can't enter the state of Connecticut without scoring her little butt off. CP3 likes Connecticut a little too much too. :P

Welcome back Jeanette Pohlen!

INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana Fever star Jeanette Pohlen will make her 2013 WNBA debut on Saturday when the Fever hosts Eastern Conference-leading Chicago at Bankers Life Fieldhouse (7:00 p.m.). Pohlen sustained a torn right ACL in Game 2 of the 2012 WNBA Finals and has undergone surgery and rehabilitation since that time.

Rookie forward Jasmine Hassell has been released to accommodate Pohlen’s return. Originally drafted by the Fever in the second round of the 2013 WNBA Draft, Hassell was waived in training camp and twice was added as a replacement player to help fill a roster decimated by injuries.

Hassell appeared in 12 games for Indiana, averaging 1.8 points and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Pohlen, the Fever’s top draft pick out of Stanford in 2011, begins her third pro season boasting a 44 percent shooting clip from 3-point range over two years. She was the first rookie to lead the WNBA in 3-point percentage in 2011 (.468), and ranked 11th in 2012 (.421) while helping Indiana to its first league championship.

Pohlen is one of four Fever players who have missed extended time due to injury this season. Others include Erin Phillips (torn right meniscus), Katie Douglas (bulging disc in lower back), Jessica Davenport (left tibia stress fracture). In all, eight different Fever players have missed time due to injury this season, including six of the club’s top seven scorers from its 2012 championship team.
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/hasse...013_08_02.html
    ***there's a video interview on the link***
    Last edited by Strummer; 08-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Impressive win vs. the Dream. I really like how the team is coming together down the stretch. We'll definitely be the team no one wants to face during the playoffs at this rate.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Impressive win vs. the Dream. I really like how the team is coming together down the stretch. We'll definitely be the team no one wants to face during the playoffs at this rate.
    I was thinking the same thing after that win. It's something I've believed all season, even during the rough start, but it's beautiful to watch the team play together. That's a huge advantage we have over other teams -- the chemistry and cohesion is unmatched. They've all been through it before and they know they can rely on each other. That'll pay off on more than one occasion in the playoffs.

Now, if only we could find some consistent offense...

Of course, we had to miss the game Saturday night - I hope we don't find a correlation to Fever wins and our absences...

Meanwhile, I agree that the offense seems to be very susceptible to certain defenses. It seems like those teams that recognize how difficult it is for the Fever to move off the ball and take a little time to disrupt what does try to occur are very successful at stopping the offense cold. Against LA, it seemed like they had a body ready to intercept Tamika or Erlana when they made their moves, which broke their rhythm and kept them from being effective both getting to the basket and passing out. That means we live or die by the jump shot, and we're definitely Jekyll-and-Hyde when it comes to that.
    BillS

The Fever are built for the playoffs. Getting there could still be problematic, however. 7 of the next 8 are on the road, and the next three are out west where the Fever traditionally haven't done well.

When is Katie Douglas coming back? When she first missed a game she was listed as "day to day" and then it was reported she would be "out awhile" but that was two months ago. I guess I didn't think it was that serious. It would be great to have everyone back and healthy four weeks from now.

I live in a small town not near Indianapolis and today I saw someone wearing a "2012 WNBA champions" Fever T-shirt with each player's name listed on the back. That was pretty cool.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    When is Katie Douglas coming back? When she first missed a game she was listed as "day to day" and then it was reported she would be "out awhile" but that was two months ago. I guess I didn't think it was that serious. It would be great to have everyone back and healthy four weeks from now.
    I personally suspect she is done for the year. I'd hate to see her get impatient and have back surgery which could make things worse.
    BillS

Nice to see a Fever win and break my streak of only attending losses.

When Erin went down in the 4th I almost soiled myself, but figured it wasn't extremely serious when they kept her on the bench and iced it up rather than taking her into the locker room. Hopefully it is something she can recover from quickly.
    BillS

Goodbye Sasha Goodlett. I suspect she just wasn't mobile enough for the pro game.

August 27, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS Rookie forward Jasmine Hassell has signed a contract for the rest of the season with the Indiana Fever, replacing the roster spot vacated by Sasha Goodlett who was waived by the club in a corresponding move.

Hassell, drafted by the Fever in the second round of the 2013 WNBA Draft, returns to the Fever for whom she appeared in 12 games earlier this season as a replacement player. She was waived in training camp and twice was added as a replacement player to help fill a roster decimated by injuries.

Most recently, Hassell was released by Indiana on August 2 when veteran guard Jeanette Pohlen returned from injury. She subsequently signed three consecutive 7-day contracts with the Seattle Storm.

In her first pro season, Hassell averaged 1.8 points and 1.3 rebounds per game in limited duty with the Fever. With Seattle, she saw brief action in four games.

Goodlett was a first-round draft pick by Indiana in 2012. She made 26 appearances in her rookie campaign, averaging 3.1 points and 1.6 rebounds per game. In 25 appearances this season, she averaged 1.8 points and 1.6 rebounds.

And back to the playoffs with an outstanding 4th quarter to put away the Sun!

Katie's back! http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/dougl...ay_130912.html

Kind of sucks to lose Breland, as she provided some depth for what is now a razor-thin frontline, but I guess we'll just have to see how it works out.

Fever versus the Sky in Round 1!
    Complete First Round Schedule:

Game 1: Indiana at Chicago - Friday, September 20 (7:00 PM EDT, NBA TV)

Game 2: Chicago at Indiana - Sunday, September 22 (3:00PM EDT, ESPN2)

Game 3: Indiana at Chicago* - Tuesday, September 24 (TBD,TBD)
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/playo...013_09_15.html

Anyone think there's any realistic chance of pulling off an upset?

After the way this season's gone, just making the playoffs is an achievement, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

After the way this season's gone, just making the playoffs is an achievement, IMO.
    Considering that a wounded Fever team went 3 - 1 on the season with Chicago, yes.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Definitely. We've had their number all season and their top three players have zero WNBA playoffs experience. Chicago as a franchise is in the postseason for the very first time. That is a lot of pressure riding on the shoulders of the #1 seed.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."