Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Indiana Fever Thread

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 Indiana Fever Thread

The refs trying to take control of the game in the third quarter was ridiculous, as no one knew what was a foul and what was not. From our biased lower bowl position it looked like Phoenix was getting away with a lot of shoving while the Fever were being called for a lot of ticky-tack touch fouls.

Fever clearly very tired (arm lift in the fourth quarter looked like everyone's wrists weighed a ton). Clarendon made us crazy on offense with her inability to hit inside shots, but she's going to be a good defensive stopper, I think.

This depleted roster sux.

And I was really ticked off Griner couldn't play. I had really been looking forward to that, in a way I seldom look forward to seeing even a particular NBA player. I think she is going to change the WNBA game - it remains to be seen if that is a good or bad thing.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

See, I would have said (from the tv) It looked a lot like the Miami/Pacers style of play.

Where the Pacers were being physical (like Indiana) and Phoenix/Miami were putting in some cheap shots. (Elbows!)

I don't think Griner is ready to dominate the league just yet. She's played well so far, but not dominant. (And the offense of that team still clearly needs to run through Taurasi.) Brittney is very skinny, actually. (Next to Sylvia Fowles she looked it..)

I do hope Phoenix gets a good defensive assistant coach..because I think Brittney could be an amazing defensive player, and Corey Gaines is not going to teach her how to do that. (He'll teach her to shoot threes though...)

Fever now in last place at 1-4 and 0-3 at home for the first time ever. A sobering reality of how decimated this team is right now.

Clarendon and Christmas both got dinged up tonight. If this keeps up, the Fever may want to consider pulling a 2012 Phoenix Mercury and just sit all the regulars for extended stretches. The time off would help them recoup for a strong season next year. Having a top 4 pick for the first time in nearly a decade wouln't hurt either.

We had hoped the Fever championship trail would influence the Pacers. Instead, it looks like the Pacers' Rim Blindness Disease is affecting the Fever.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is tough to take on the heels of a championship season. Then again, there are probably plenty of teams who would gladly sign up for this experience if it meant winning it all the year before. Half full/half empty, I guess.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

I'm rather calmed by the lack of people saying that blaming injuries for the slow start is an excuse we need to stop making and do something about
    BillS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is tough to take on the heels of a championship season. Then again, there are probably plenty of teams who would gladly sign up for this experience if it meant winning it all the year before. Half full/half empty, I guess.
    I think that's why it doesn't really bother me. Nobody stays on top of their conference forever. Injuries often play a part in the slide, much like we're seeing with the Fever right now. For all the complaints about coming up short in the postseason or Catchings not having enough help, the Fever have probably been one of the best run franchises in the WNBA over the last decade. Think about it: the Fever have never had the top pick in the draft, and have been at #2 only once (Tan White in 2005; probably the weakest draft in league history). Yet despite picking near the end of the draft every year, this team currently is tied for longest active streak of consecutive playoff appearances.

Indiana is the only current Eastern Conference team with a championship. Connecticut has had multiple 25+ win seasons but has never brought home the bacon. New York has more Finals appearances than anyone but has nothing to show for it. Chicago is in its 8th season and is still awaiting that first playoff game. Washington, outside of maybe one or two seasons, has been garbage. Out west, you've got LA drafting the "best female basketball player ever/next Lisa Leslie" every 4 years, yet still trying to get back to the Finals for the first time since 02. Tulsa is a textbook example of how not to run an organization.

I've more or less come to grips with the fact that it's just not our year. But Catchings isn't done and won't be for awhile yet. I think the Fever bounce back big time in 2014.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't throw in the towel on this year yet. All these injuries are only going to make the young players who are playing now better. Just be treading water at mid-season when players start coming back and make it to the show....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Anyone know why Clarendon didn't play today? Box just says "Coaches decision".

Had to be some type of injury. The team is so short-handed right now I can't imagine keeping her out for any other reason. I think I saw where she and Christmas both got hurt against Connecticut the other night.

Last October was a blast, but we're paying the price for having the shortest offseason.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Anyone know why Clarendon didn't play today? Box just says "Coaches decision".
    She had a sprained ankle, but the Fever had to dress her. That's why it says CD.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Katie Douglas is out for several more weeks.
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/fever...013_06_18.html

INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana Fever guard Katie Douglas will miss several more weeks of action due to a bulging disc in her lower back. Initially diagnosed after missing Indiana’s game at New York on June 5, she missed subsequent games against Phoenix, Connecticut and Washington. Additional testing this week revealed the need for continued therapy and rest.

Douglas is the fourth player on the Fever’s extensive list of long-term injuries. Jessica Davenport (left tibia stress fracture), Erin Phillips (torn right meniscus) and Jeanette Pohlen (torn left ACL) all are expected to remain out of action until at least midseason. Together, that foursome combined to start 60 games during the Fever regular season and playoffs in 2012.

A fifth Fever injury was sustained in its home game against Phoenix, June 8, when first-round draft pick Layshia Clarendon sprained an ankle. She missed last Sunday’s game at Washington, but is expected to return Saturday when Indiana hosts Chicago at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Might as well start limiting the regulars' minutes before eventually shutting them down. This is a lost season. I've never seen so many key players injured all at once.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Might as well start limiting the regulars' minutes before eventually shutting them down. This is a lost season. I've never seen so many key players injured all at once.
    We're 3 games back with 28 games left. For some reason, I don't see the Fever giving up on the season quite yet.

Plus, even if they did, we have only 8 healthy players. Who are the regulars? Realistically, just by how much can you cut their minutes, or even "shut them down," when you have three players on the bench? The minutes need to be filled somehow.

Davenport is out for the season.

=== Indiana's Davenport to have season-ending surgery ===

Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - The injury-depleted Indiana Fever learned
    on Friday that center Jessica Davenport will undergo season-ending surgery.

Davenport has not played this season due to a left tibia stress fracture. She
    will have surgery later this month.

She is one of four Fever stars already expected to remain out of the lineup
    until at least mid-July. Included on the list are Katie Douglas (bulging disc
    in lower back), Erin Phillips (torn right meniscus) and Jeanette Pohlen (torn
    left ACL).

Those four players combined for 60 starts last year during the regular season
    and playoffs.

Jasmine Hassell signed with the Fever as a replacement player on Friday.
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...BUN4603178.htm

Mood

Ugh. This is NUTS! Catch has a lower back sprain.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/catch...013_06_22.html

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Ugh. This is NUTS! Catch has a lower back sprain.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/catch...013_06_22.html
    On the broadcast they said she's out at least 10 days.

Catchings is now out and Clarendon got hurt tonight. The Fever may have to start playing cheerleaders before long.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    On the broadcast they said she's out at least 10 days.
    Wow. This is getting to the point of ridiculousness where it's almost funny.
    Last edited by gummy; 06-22-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Catchings played point guard today. What a season.

But some good news amongst the injuries:

Catchings missed two games because of back problems. Layshia Clarendon, sidelined two games by a hip contusion, was not allowed to play more than three minutes at a time. Erin Phillips is to return within 7-10 days after surgery on a torn meniscus. By August, Katie Douglas and Jeanette Pohlen are supposed to be activated. Jessica Davenport is out for the season with a tibia stress fracture.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...players-injury

Luckily we have the better part of a week before the next game, but I still expect Bri to miss a couple of games.

There was a point last night with players hitting the floor where it was getting ridiculous. We were back down to 8 at one point, and we thought it was 7 until we realized someone had been at the scorer table so we couldn't see her (our new seats are in section 2 by the rail).
    BillS

Sports Logo

Great game from Bri last night following her concussion. She crashed the glass fearlessly.

So much for tanking the season, huh? We're only 1 game back from 4th place NY and it looks like Phillips could be returning soon. Don't give up on this team.

While not as long as the NBA season, the short rotations are still going to catch up to us if we can't get some of our long-minutes players back. There were a couple of slumps where we let the Sun back into the game and I attribute that to tired legs. Looking forward to Erin being back on the court, and hoping they'll get a prognosis on Katie soon. Wasn't Jeanette supposed to be back by about mid-season?

Next 5 games are against top-feeders, so hang on!
    BillS

So, who is the moron in the league office who scheduled an WNBA Finals rematch at noon on a workday?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    So, who is the moron in the league office who scheduled an WNBA Finals rematch at noon on a workday?
    They always do at least one game a season on a weekday at noon. While it is good for kids, my wife refuses to ever go to another one because she couldn't hear herself think for all the screaming.
    BillS