Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beating New York

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Beating New York

This is a huge series for our franchise. Obviously, winning this series puts us in the Eastern Conference Finals, in all likelihood against Miami. Also, a good playoff series against the Knicks could be just what the doctor ordered for the fanbase.

That said, I would like to know what the great basketball minds of Pacers Digest think will be the keys to overcoming the NBA Scoring Champ, homecourt disadvantage, and the bright lights of New York.

To me, Melo comes first obviously. Slowing him is going to be a task for the whole team.

After that, DWest and Hibbert will have to bring it like they brought it in Game 6 against ATL. Our offense CANNOT stagnate against these guys, so the guards have to stay active and move the ball.

Paul George doesn't have to match Melo, just slow him down and continue grabbing rebounds and dishing assists.

As important as anything will be our mental composure. NYK has the star-power and homecourt advantage, so we are going to have plenty of calls go against us. We'll find out how mature this team has become.

Pacers in 6.
    Last edited by pizza guy; 05-04-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Beating New York

Make them beat us by jump shots, control the paint and we will win this series.. melo is gonna get his so let's just make sure we don't pay to much attention to him

Simple strategy:

First. UN**** the completely ****ED rotation.

starting five + OJ (give him a chance, no one else has worked), Tyler and Ian/Pendergraph

Play Hill/PG/Lance 45+ unless blowouts dictate. You're trying to beat the team with homecourt advantage. the "better" team. Forget about rest, or the next round. Beat them. At all costs. Rest after the playoffs.

*Hill. SHOOT. For ****s sake, our most efficient scorer during the season, during last playoffs, during this playoffs? Shoot the effing ball Hill.
    *Take advantage of matchups. West should absolutely destroy the Knicks. No more big, long, athletics fours defending him this series. Time to let loose the BAMF.
    *Double Melo postups so he sticks to driving and jump shots versus using his size against Paul.
    *Do NOT let Paul foul in the post against Melo. If anything, let Melo have the easy layup. This is where the postups are dangerous, because Paul can pick up quick fouls and get taken out of the game. (if Paul picks up a quick one in the first?? Change up the matchup)

Vogels rotations badly hurt the Pacers in the first round. Look at the plus minus' in every game. The Pacers starting five absolutely slaughtered the Hawks. There best lineups too. The Hawks killed the Pacers when they had bench players in though. This just cannot keep happening.
    Last edited by mattie; 05-04-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Maybe we need some Sam Young minutes to defend Melo by 1vs1. Sam has all tools to defend Melo.

I'd love to have DJ out of the rotation as anyone else, but I just don't see Vogel doing it based on sticking with him this long. And the only proven option to back up Hill resting is Lance, IMO.

I don't see OJ getting minutes. Frank would have already given him some if he trusted him. I just think it's an issue of inexperience coupled with playoff level basketball. Not sure about OJ either pending his defensive matchup.

Now, Sam Young I could definitely see getting some spot, defensive stretches, perhaps on Smith and/or Melo. Seems unlikely Green will see the floor. I'm comfortable with Tyler, Penderghast, Mahinmi pending matchup and who has it going.

The way we can win the series is play D like we have most of the season and in game 6 on Atlanta. Then, as the OP said, on O Roy and West have to give significant production. Hill must continue to be aggressive, and PG needs to take a lesson from him in game 6 and attempt to drive the ball.

Additionally PG needs to stop so much unnecessary dribbling when he's iso-ed or doing P - n - R. Keep ball in triple threat position as long as possible. Minimize the amount of stationary dribbling before actually making an aggressive, intentional move off the dribble.

Lance needs to contribute some offensively as well and also has to keep attacking the basket. Both Melo and Smith will get theirs. I think you hope to contain them a little. In other words, make them work to get their points. You just can't let some X factor guy completely go off. If possible, don't let them get momentum going from downtown.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

8. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    S

*Do NOT let Paul foul in the post against Melo. If anything, let Melo have the easy layup. This is where the postups are dangerous, because Paul can pick up quick fouls and get taken out of the game. (if Paul picks up a quick one in the first?? Change up the matchup)
    Unless your coach has very strange ideas about matchups David West will have Melo. George gets Shumpert.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

BTW, the key to you beating us is behave like grownups, not like teenagers at Rucker Park. That gives you your biggest advantage.

Where's that Charles Oakley clone they've been working on?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

J.R. Smith is who really worries me... Whoever ends up chasing him around
    is going to have a very tough time covering him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Pray

But in all seriousness this should be a great series, even though we slipped toward the end of the season I still believe Indiana is the better team. But no matter what strategy we employ, the Knicks can win if Melo & J.R. go on an offensive crusade, play good D & hopefully you can contain Smith enough to were Melo can't win the game on his own. In a way praying is my sound strategy because if Melo goes in MVP mode, there's really no gameplan that can stop the premier scorers when they get on a roll.

Pacers/Knicks for the right to go to the ECF, feel like I've gone 20 years into the past or something.

the Knicks' offensive playing style works really well for us. They're an isolation team who on occasion takes bad shots. That will make them easier for us to defend, because we're at our best when we're set, and not in transition. Truthfully, I'd rather defend a team like the Knicks rather than the run-and-gun Hawks.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

They play very small....at time they have Kidd, Felton, Prigioni, Shumper and Melo out there all at the same time. We have to play big and take advantage.

We also have to get back on defense on transition. They're smaller team will likely run in trandition - we did it well against ATL
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Same formula as the entire season. Protect the rim at all costs. Force the Knick to take long 2's. Win the rebound and possesion battle. Play inside out on the offensive end. Make the game a complete slogfest and keep the scores in the 80's and the low 90's.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

I think mainly... We need to defend the three well after shutting down the paint!

I really hope that Born 2013 steps up big time in the Big Apple... I think whoever wins the matchup of Smith and Stephenson could be the X factor in this series...

Also... Roy vs. Chandler... Which defensive juggernaut makes the bigger difference could also be very key...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Slow the game down to a crawl. Go inside a lot. Protect the 3 point line.
    Still think Knicks win in 7.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I think this will be big for the franchise, but I believe if we beat Miami in the ECF, that will be bigger. Anyways, Pacers in 7
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I think mainly... We need to defend the three well after shutting down the paint!

I really hope that Born 2013 steps up big time in the Big Apple... I think whoever wins the matchup of Smith and Stephenson could be the X factor in this series...

Also... Roy vs. Chandler... Which defensive juggernaut makes the bigger difference could also be very key...
    No *****! Imagine how excited Lance must be, going home with his teammates telling him, "Melo may get the headlines, but your match-up with J.R. Smith is the key. So come on, Born Ready, are you ready for THIS?!"
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    the Knicks' offensive playing style works really well for us. They're an isolation team who on occasion takes bad shots. That will make them easier for us to defend, because we're at our best when we're set, and not in transition. Truthfully, I'd rather defend a team like the Knicks rather than the run-and-gun Hawks.
    Actually we haven't been an ISO team - until the playoffs. We ran about 15% ISO's during the season and Melo got about 25% of his possessions from them. Vs Boston we went ISO about 27% of the time and 45% of Melo's touches were in ISO.

I agree that ISO style works well for you. It worked well for the Celtics. Heck, it works well for just about everyone when Melo shoots about 32% (which is his ISO%) vs about 45% on plays from within the offense. We play that way and you'll beat us. We play how we did the last 20 games of the season and we'll win. We're too immature to play the way we did at the end of the season. The Boston series demonstrated that very nicely. Congrats on the series win.

Most of the numbers for this comes from: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...ordan-crawford

If you watched the Knicks during the season you didn't need numbers to tell you what was going on. In fact, during the 1st two games of the series you could watch Anthony dominating the ball in the first half when we fell behind and sharing it in the 2nd when we took over and won and figure out what was going on.

You could. The Knicks evidently couldn't.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 05-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Defense. It's the only thing we have total control over.

We've shown we can defend the 3 and protect the rim WHEN WE'RE FOCUSED.

We have to force long-range 2 point shots and be in position to get the rebound. If we do that, we won't have to shoot the lights out to get the win.

On offense, I agree with prayer (meditation, spell-casting, crystal harmonies, whatever works for your personal religious practice). We are simply jekyll-and-hyde to the point where it isn't just that we decide we have to live or die by the long jumper, opponents FORCE us to do that by denying any passing lanes at all. We HAVE to drive to the basket, look for the mismatch, and most importantly take care of the ball (yeah, I'm looking at YOU Lance and PG!).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think we'll have problems with focus in a marquee series vs. New York. Noone outside of the fanbases paid any attention at all to our first round series, this one is going to be plastered everywhere.

Sports Logo

Stoping Felton's dribble penetration will help. Smith,Kidd,and Novak will gladly just park out at the 3 point line and wait for the open shot.

Mood

You already hit the nail on the head.

Keys:
    PG's Defense on Melo
    Our front court > their front court

Do those 2 things and it's a W all other things staying constant.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    I don't think we'll have problems with focus in a marquee series vs. New York. Noone outside of the fanbases paid any attention at all to our first round series, this one is going to be plastered everywhere.
    What I find interesting is the Pacers have the Georgetown center this time as someone else pointed out and Lance going home to New York. This should be a very interesting series.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    You already hit the nail on the head.

Keys:
    PG's Defense on Melo
    Our front court > their front court

Do those 2 things and it's a W all other things staying constant.
    We'll also need someone to slow down JR Smith. He can go off any given night
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I am confident in one thing: The officiating in this series is going to be brutal.

35. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Knick fan at the bar last night claimed Amare would be back this series. Can anyone confirm that?

If so I really like that matchup for D. West. Amare's soft.

If not, how will we matchup with that small lineup? West on Shump/Prigoni/Kidd?

I think Pendy stays in the rotation and defends Melo some.