View Poll Results: Was Ron Artest's season long suspension too harsh?

Voters
9842427. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was too harsh! Stern is after the PACERS!

40 0.00%
  • No, Ron is a knucklehead. He's a thug rapper. He got what he deserved.

9,842,387 100.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Supporting Ron Ron= Supporting PACERS

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Supporting Ron Ron= Supporting PACERS

I haven't called for Ron's trade, but I have said I think the team has decided to do so. I haven't called for SJax trade, but I said I wouldn't be upset if they decided to do so (that can also be read that I won't be uspest if they keep him, but you didn't bother to read it any other way).
    I used to be one of Ron's biggest supporters until last year's PO's...he cinched it, not me.

Let me spell this out for you Sassan because I've said it sooooo many times it's rediculous.

I SUPPORT THE PACERS NOT ANY ONE PLAYER. No player is more important that the team IMO. I do not kiss the backsides of any player, I support the Pacers TEAM. When a player's actions put the team at peril then something must be done to correct the situation. If that means trading them then so be it. It is all about the TEAM. It is also about being PROUD of the team that represents my home. I was never MORE proud than when they showed their metal and won those 3 games immediately after the fight. They played with courage and heart. I want the P's to win a championship yes, more than you can imagine, but as Larry Brown would say, winning it the "right" way.

In the past I have bashed Ron when he deserved it and praised him when he deserved THAT. I have done the same with JO, Reggie, and anyone else I felt deserved it. I will continue to do so. You, nor anyone else has any right to tell me how to support my team. I've been supporting them since the day it was announced they were being formed, and no over-inflated ego is going to tell me how to do otherwise.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Yes - it's the TEAM that wins or loses. And sometimes moving a player will improve your TEAM. As far as the ECF last year goes - It was the off-the-court stuff that really ruined the team chemistry. After the truth filtered out, I was shocked they even went 6 games.

I've just felt a sea change in my own opinions. I've been on the fence for too long. I now say dump him. Dump him as fast as you can. For the team, for the fans, for Ron himself who needs a fresh start more than anyone in memory - DUMP HIM - for anyone or anything. DUMP HIM so that we can talk about something else. He isn't even playing and he's still topic #1.

It's time to dump him and move on.

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See, I try to have a decent conversation and you get all defensive.

Game 6 might not have been a flagrent, but Rip flopped and I dont want to hear it. Reggie has victimized many players, and Ron got played. It cost us the game and posibly the series.

Players can say what they want, that doesnt make it true.

Oh, and for the fan, he threw a cup, so what? Ronnie shouldnt have gone into the crowd. PERIOD. And no, the season was to short of a punishment if you ask me. He should have been banned from the game for life. Yes that is harsh, but so is a brawl where some one could have been seriously hurt, ranging from fans to players.

As for me being a Pacers fan, look at my SN. Yeah, no **** sherlock, im a Pacers fan in Virginia. As for stern, I dont like his decision, but he had to make a strong statement and tell palyers taht behavior wasnt acceptable at all. Apparently he got that message across.

BTW, dont bothe responding. Ill type out your response for you

"You are not a real fan. Ronnie was defending himself and you dont know what its life. HIs past doesnt matter. Stern is trash and he is out to get Ron-Ron"
    I'll respond.

What kind of Pacer fan says the suspension was not long enough??? What the hell is that?

You have the right to have an opinion but as shown on a poll taken here, PACER fans are against the suspensions, especially Ronnie Artest. How in the world can you justify a season long suspension and also saying he should have gotten worst.....you are against the Pacers organization by making comments like that and you should look yourself in the mirror before calling yourself a Pacer fan...no Pacer fan or Pacer players would agree with your sentiment.

One more thing I have to add. I do not think anyone is saying Ron should not have gone in the crowd, but it is not simple as that. He should have been suspended but not for the whole season! THe suspension completely put the blame on Ron and the Pacers rather than the cowardly fans and the Detroit arena.....along Ben Wallace. Ben should have gotten a much harsher suspension, but got the David Stern favoritism treatment. Another thing, a lot of NBA players would have done the same thing as Ron; i'm sorry but it is not everyday in the heat of a big rivalry game does someone get a cup thrown at his face....

Look at the reasons why Ron did it, to defend his honor and character but it was a split second decision on a guy who has already suffered a lot and does not think like you or me.

Quote Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
    See, stop blaming Ron Artest.

Ron Artest didn't ruin anyone's season....
    Many of us can and will because he ****ed up. Ron was the only player to run into the stands without having a player to go up there to get in the first place; his error was the worst judgement of the night. Throwing a beer cup at a player doesn't guarantee a brawl nearly as much as an opposing player charging into a crowd of people does, and that's what he did. The Pacers' consequences stemmed mainly from his actions. Yes also from JO and Jack, but Ron first and foremost. JO and Jack don't do what they do unless Ron does what he does first. That one bone-headed mistake was the most responsible for costing us 73 regular season games without one of our best players, 30 without two of them, and 15 without 3 of them, and the playoffs without one.

XXSASSXX31

YAWN.

How old are you? Seriously. SO now I dont agree with you and Im not a real Pacers fan.

and yes, Ron got what he deserved, even though the Pacers wont say it publicly (they never would) if you knew the team I wuld be willing to bet while some players missed him you would find some players that felt like he got what he deserved.

But that cant be right either, can it, cause I am not agreeing with you
    Actually, I do know a Pacer player and some other personel so I do know what the Pacers organization and players feel...and it truly is not in your sentiment.

I care more about the Pacers team than anyone in the world, but the fact of the matter is Ron Artest is a key component of our team and it will be very difficult to be the dominant team we can be with Ron Artest. I love Ronnie so much because of his importance to this team.

As I said it before, I will say it again, I am not going to elaborate on this; but trust me, Ron Artest will play in a Pacer uniform again and Pacer fans will embrace him and continue to do today. VAPACERFAN and all those anti-Ron Artest "thug" fans can continue to hate, but whether Pacers win the finals this year or not, Ron elevates the Pacers and makes them a real top Elite team in this league.

One more thing, all those "behavior" problems Ron had in the past...it's in the past. Do you understand Ronnie has grown a lot because of those problems and the event on 11/19 had nothing to do with those. The incidents before, Ron never got attacked before. On 11/19, Ron got attacked by both Ben Wallace and the thugish Pacer fans. The Pacer players support Ronnie 110% and this incident has made us closer as a team....as I said before, a lot of NBA Players would have acted the same way as Ron because Ron got attacked first, and we know he has some problems he has been trying to work out but being attacked by Ben Wallace and then a stupid fan sure did not help it....when he got hit by a cup he just could not control himself and he did deserve a punishment but the blame should have gone all around the board, not just on Ronnie. But in no way does he deserve a season long suspension and for anyone to say a season long suspension is justified has to consider their loyalty to the Pacers and no top Pacer brass feel this way and none of the Pacer players do either. Let's look at Precedent, Vernon Maxwell punched a fan and got 10 games for someone taunting at him. Ron got 72 games for holding a fan down after having a cup thrown at him at the same arena he had coins thrown at him before! Suspending him for the season rewards the thugish Detroit fans and the Detroit team when they should have been penalized as well!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, but we can blame him for his actions which cost him to be suspended for the season which did help ruin the Pacers season
    Yeah, didn't you see the trophy presentation to the Spurs last Nov. 23rd? I mean who honestly thinks that the pacers can make the playoffs, let alone win a series. Just write this whole season off for them.

Excuse my sarcasm.

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Many of us can and will because he ****ed up. Ron was the only player to run into the stands without having a player to go up there to get in the first place; his error was the worst judgement of the night. Throwing a beer cup at a player doesn't guarantee a brawl nearly as much as an opposing player charging into a crowd of people does, and that's what he did. The Pacers' consequences stemmed mainly from his actions. Yes also from JO and Jack, but Ron first and foremost. JO and Jack don't do what they do unless Ron does what he does first. That one bone-headed mistake was the most responsible for costing us 73 regular season games without one of our best players, 30 without two of them, and 15 without 3 of them, and the playoffs without one.
    I love your logic on "if Ron did not go up there the brawl wouldn't have happened and J.O. and S. JAX would not have gotten suspended...."

None of this would have happened if the Referees controlled the game and did not let it get out of control...none of this would have happened if Ben Wallace did not hit Ron Artest for no reason when Ron did not even foul him that hard...none of this would have happened if Ben Wallace did not keep cussing at Ron and throwing a towel on him...none of this would have happened if the referee would have immediatly kicked Ben Wallace out of the game....none of this would have happened if the Detroit security or police were near the fans where Ron Artest was....none of this would have happened if....

come on give me a break! Ron is not responsible for the actions of others. What Ron and the Pacers did on 11/19 was make me proud...it made me proud the Pacers stood together as teammates and brothers and defended each other...they showed the world that they are men. Unfortunately, it happened....but David Stern should have acted with precedent and failed to do so. Also......Artest would not have been suspended this long if the game was not shown on ESPN...

XXSASSXX31

As I said in my previous point, I am not going to elaborate.

It is none of your business on what I may know or I may not.

It is not about me being a "ron lover", it's about me loving the Pacers and understanding without Ron we do not have as good as a chance as doing well with Ron. Ron is going to come back stronger than ever and will make sure he will not do anything like what he did (it did cost him 5 million dollars). I am not here talking about rumors, I am talking about reality which you seem to lack. Reality is, 90% of Pacer fans do not share your sentiment that the "suspensions were light or just"...and surely no one in the Pacers organization does. David Stern used Ron as a scapegoat and Stern is nothing but a piece of trash who has ruined the Pacers organization over and over throughout the years because of the Pacers "small-market" status.

Do you really think Shaq or Kobe would have gotten 72 games?!??!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I try to make a point of staying out of Sassooon's threads, but I've got two points to make.

1) Bravo to Geezer for his post.

Although I'll admit that Ron is a helluva player, I can't figure out why anyone that is a Pacers fan, first and foremost, would want that clown on our team.

Hey, for the fun of it, lets make two lists. All of the boneheaded and destructive things that any Pacers player has ever done. And Ron's list. Really, once you get past Carlos Rogers and his strange disappearance, and I guess you could even include Kenny Williams thinking he didn't have to pay his cellphone bill or when Chuck Person stuffed Conrad Brunner into a trashcan over at NIFS even though I think that actually helped make that particular team's "bond" tighter, the "rest of the team" list isn't all that long, at least not compared to Ron's list. He's an unprecedented trouble-maker on a team that has always taken pride in not having trouble-makers. Hey, there's a reason John Williamson and Adrian Dantley didn't stay in Indianapolis very long...

2) Second, I don't like to blame losses on one player or a single play, and I generally don't like to attribute wins to a single player. It *is* a team game. And, of course, its easy to see when a single player really elevates his game and carries a team to victory (like JO did in NJ the other night). So should Ron be blamed for the Pacers' fourth quarter meltdown in Game #6? I say yes, but you guys haven't even addressed the real reason why. During the fourth quarter, Jim Gray reported that Rick Carlisle was on the sidelines, going berzerk, yelling at the team to give the ball to JO in the post. What did Ron do. First, he tried to dunk over four Pistons (perhaps they should've been called for Illegal D?) including his good, personal friend and defensive standout, shotblocker extraordinaire Ben Wallace. *Then* he took the forty-footer with something like 16 seconds still on the shotclock. What did he do then, that's worthy of saying, "Ron cost the team the game." - he became selfish, broke away from the gameplan, tried to play one-on-five.

Lookee there, I've blamed Ron and I haven't even mentioned the play/ flop? at the other end of the court.

And I don't want to hear that "JO was hurt/ struggling/ etc." Rick wanted JO to get the ball. If he does, and he doesn't deliver... well I can live with that. JO *is/was* the Pacers best player, he's the go-to guy, he's the guy Rick wanted to depend on the fourth quarter of an elimination game. Ron's selfishness denied the rest of his teammates an opportunity to prove that Rick and JO could lead this team to The Finals. Yes there were injuries, but everybody has injuries in the playoffs. Because of the injuries, I don't think we could've won Game #7 but I believe we should've won Game #6.

And for the record, let me apologize for spending this much time in this thread.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

XXSASSXX31

It's starting to come to the point that Ron Artest is as important to winning to this team as J.O. is...and I truly believe that will happen next season. Ron is just too good of a player and next year will be an MVP Candidate.

I never said we couldnt make the playoffs. Hell, I hope we do. but IMO we were a championship team on and before 11/19 and as it stands we will be lucky to get to the finals.

So no, I never said anything about writing the season off, but yes, I do think certain player(s) action cost us a chance at winning a title.

Oh, and in case you didnt know, when you are suspended for the season, you cant play at all, not even in the playoffs, so yes, that not only hurts yourself but you also hurt your time
    FYI, I know that he can't play in the playoffs. Where did I say he could?

So the pacers can make the playoffs, but the season is ruined? So what do they need to accomplish to make the season worth something? Even with Artest, the rings weren't being sized for the pacers.

I'm not questioning the part about his suspensions, nor the part about being a "good" fan. It's just plain dumb to say one player lost an entire series, and ruined an entire season. The east is still weak. It's not even close to impossible for the pacers to make it to the finals in the east.

I love your logic on "if Ron did not go up there the brawl wouldn't have happened and J.O. and S. JAX would not have gotten suspended...."

None of this would have happened if the Referees controlled the game and did not let it get out of control...none of this would have happened if Ben Wallace did not hit Ron Artest for no reason when Ron did not even foul him that hard...none of this would have happened if Ben Wallace did not keep cussing at Ron and throwing a towel on him...none of this would have happened if the referee would have immediatly kicked Ben Wallace out of the game....none of this would have happened if the Detroit security or police were near the fans where Ron Artest was....none of this would have happened if....
    They all deserve blame for their actions in leading to this mess. All of them. Including Ron Artest, who did one of the worst parts in leading to it. Only running into the stands creates the mob, not Ben being an idiot earlier, or the refs being incompetent.

What Ron and the Pacers did on 11/19 was make me proud...it made me proud the Pacers stood together as teammates and brothers and defended each other...they showed the world that they are men.
    You have a strange sense of pride.

Unfortunately, it happened....
    You're proud of what they did, but think it's unfortunate they did it?

Ok, Im really confused.

I was refering to last season when I said he cost us game 6. Now that is debatable, but thats my opinion. I could have been more thurough, but Jay basically summed up what i had to say.

As for this year, while the rungs werent bein measured for the Pacers, it was pretty damn close. We beat the Pistons by 17 on there court.

I can tell you are new here, cause what makes a season a success for me is a championship. I love all the regular season awards and I love the playoffs, but IMO a success is winning a ring. Now you have to change taht gauge (sp) based on your team, but with this team I felt a success would be a NBA championship.

Like I said, I dont think this season is a wash, but I dont think we are going to have a harder time without Artest, better yet the games we had to go without JO and S-Jax
    Either you run your company, or have your own business, or youre not a successful worker then huh? A lot better teams than this one have lost in the finals, i.e. last year.

Yes, the ultimate goal is the ring. But if you measure success by trophys than youre going to be disappointed 90% of the time by all of your teams.

Jay made good points, but if you win game 2 theres a game 7. The season never rests on one game. You can always go back and find a moment where someone screwed up and it hurt a lot. Yes, I'll agree that RA screwed up the most, but it's still a team effort. If he was playing that badly in RCs eyes, don't you think he would of pulled him. Obviously he thought he would do better than someone sitting on the bench. So JO gets the ball, and misses the shot. Do you blame it on him? Where do the excuses stop? They (the pacers) didn't get it done. Thats all that matters.

Excuses are like a$$holes. Everyone has one, and all of em stink.

XXSASSXX31

Hicks,

I'm not proud it happened, but I am proud how the Pacers defended each other from the mob. As Stephen Jackson said, "We Ride Together Baby"....and even J.O. proved that notion.

I always go after these issues. A few years ago in a regional game, I went for a dunk. Got fouled and missed because of it. I was a 80%+ FT shooter, so I was really pissed when I missed both FTs. I played horrible there on out, and we lost by 3.

Later I find out that I'm being blamed for losing by some seniors, and even my coach. From a recent players stand point, nothing feels as bad as being blamed entirely for a lose, especially in a playoff format.

On another note: I don't agree with if you don't support ron, you don't support the team. Personally I like Ron, but you don't always have to agree with their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    Jay made good points, but if you win game 2 theres a game 7. The season never rests on one game. You can always go back and find a moment where someone screwed up and it hurt a lot. Yes, I'll agree that RA screwed up the most, but it's still a team effort. If he was playing that badly in RCs eyes, don't you think he would of pulled him. Obviously he thought he would do better than someone sitting on the bench. So JO gets the ball, and misses the shot. Do you blame it on him? Where do the excuses stop? They (the pacers) didn't get it done. Thats all that matters.

Excuses are like a$$holes. Everyone has one, and all of em stink.
    I understand the points you are making...

The best analagoy I can think of is the 1996 playoffs. Game 5. Reggie, wearing goggles. We're down by a point or two in the last minute, Reggie's been ice-cold and Rik is still in his prime as a post player. Brown calls for Rik to get the ball in the post. Jackson flat-out misses him with two consecutive passes. Was Rik held? From Aisle 20, I thought so on the first pass. But the second pass just sails out of bounds. So do you blame Larry for trying to make it a two-man game with Jackson and Smits when neither appeared ready 'for prime time' instead of tried-and-true Reggie? Do you blame Jackson for missing with the passes, and trade him to Denver for Jalen Rose before the dust settles? Do you blame Rik for not working hard enough to break free and get to the pass? I don't know what the answer is. There are lots of questions, and if I knew the answer I'd be a GM in the league.

BTW, what does "Since86" mean?

Signed,

Chuck Person's biggest fan.

PS - as for whether Rick should've pulled Ron - I'm not sure Rick realized the
    "rebellion" was deliberate until it was too late. And its not like Al was playing well in that series. I think he was depending on Ron sticking to the gameplan.

XXSASSXX31

I always go after these issues. A few years ago in a regional game, I went for a dunk. Got fouled and missed because of it. I was a 80%+ FT shooter, so I was really pissed when I missed both FTs. I played horrible there on out, and we lost by 3.

Later I find out that I'm being blamed for losing by some seniors, and even my coach. From a recent players stand point, nothing feels as bad as being blamed entirely for a lose, especially in a playoff format.

On another note: I don't agree with if you don't support ron, you don't support the team. Personally I like Ron, but you don't always have to agree with their actions.
    I don't agree with his actions, I understand it. He should have been suspended, but not for 72 games. Not supporting Ron is not supporting the Pacers brass and franchise at this point. Case closed.

Case closed.
    I'm waiting for him to say, "Simple as That". Perhaps Sassooooon and NewYawk are related?

canyoufeelit

Ron is currently not a member of this team, he is suspended for a stupid reaction to a stupid act by a fan. His conduct over the past 3 seasons has been for the most part detrimental to the Pacers. The collapse of 02, his selfish and stupid play in the ECF last year, the retarded CD promotion, and 73 game suspension all point to the fact that this guy needs a change of scenery, the sooner the better.

In the heat of the moment, I yell. (I'm a very competitive person that yells a lot for some reason.) But I'm sure Jackson did a lot of good things earlier in the game. For me, they shouldn't have been in that situation, or theyre lucky to be in that situation. Depending on if they are better or not. I loved to watch tape, break down what should and shouldn't of happened, so I'm looking at that situation from a now point of view. At the time, I say he's an idiot that should of done better. It's been a long time since I've blamed one person for a loss.

Since86? Been a pacer/basketball fan since '86, just happens to be my birth year too.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    that this guy needs a change of scenery, the sooner the better.
    So moving makes things all better? He just needs to grow up, not move. The question is, are the Pacers going to be apart of his growth, or are they going to let another team try to help him?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

So moving makes things all better? He just needs to grow up, not move. The question is, are the Pacers going to be apart of his growth, or are they going to let another team try to help him?
    Here's all you need to know: you're 18 and you're telling a 26 year old professional athlete to "grow up".

I don't agree with his actions, I understand it. He should have been suspended, but not for 72 games. Not supporting Ron is not supporting the Pacers brass and franchise at this point. Case closed.

Yes, you are right. He should have been suspended for 73.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Here's all you need to know: you're 18 and you're telling a 26 year old professional athlete to "grow up".

Well I guess I missed the class in high school where it said the older you are, the more mature you get.

I think you've proved my point when you start referring to someones age. I know I wouldn't of asked off to promote my groups cd sales, so yes in that regard I am more mature.

Next comment by someone who thinks they're better because they're older?

I thought LA's point was that you, at age 18, seemed to have a better handle on maturity than a 26 y/o so-called adult. In other words, that's the irony here.

EDIT - and even if I'm wrong, I like my interpretation better anyway.