Thread: Help refresh my memory

Default Re: Help refresh my memory

It was Artest and Bender for McGrady, there were rumors of diff. players, but that's the one I think was true.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe it was Ronnie, Bender, and Al for TMac. And seeing as how Ron is out for the season, Bender has been out forever, and Al is now a Hawk...

I know...we would have OWNED with Tmac+JO...Can you say Dynasty?

This is some speculation from last June about McGrady coming here.

"We could make it work, absolutely," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Tuesday. "I have spoken to somebody in their organization, and I sensed there was interest there. What they're telling me is, there's a good chance he's going to be traded. So, yeah, a player like that out there, we're definitely going to be interested."

How to do it?

McGrady's salary cap number is around $14.5 million. The Pacers would have to send Orlando players whose combined salaries fall within 15 percent of that number. So it's like this: Start with Al Harrington ($6.3 million), who will get traded in the media no fewer than 50 times this summer. Then it's an issue of deciding who that second player might be.

Jonathan Bender ($6.5 million)? That would be my preference, but it might not be Orlando's choice.

Ron Artest ($6.2 million)? That would be hard to swallow, but for McGrady, it's a deal I'd make, however grudgingly.

It's a price worth paying to have the Shaq-and-Kobe of the East.

(And no, I don't think the Magic would happily take Austin Croshere and his big contract off Walsh's hands. If we're going to talk about trades, let's talk about ones that might work for both teams.)

"Once everybody agrees on the principals, our two guys for their one, you can make it work," Walsh said. "It wouldn't be that hard."

For his part, McGrady, who is friends with Jermaine O'Neal, has mentioned Indiana as one of the teams he'd be willing to join as part of a sign-and-trade deal. The only caveat for the Pacers: Making sure McGrady would be willing to sign a long-term deal to remain here. Indiana isn't going to mortgage its future for a one-year rental.

Now, keep in mind, you can throw just about anybody's name out there -- George Mikan, for instance -- and Walsh will say, "Sure, it's always worth following up with a phone call." And rumors, big ones, are born.

But this is not one of those.

The Pacers are interested in McGrady, and should be interested in McGrady. And Walsh made it clear Tuesday, he and Larry Bird are willing to move anybody except O'Neal if it means making a deal that catapults them past Detroit.

"Is anybody untouchable?" Walsh was asked.

"No," he said. "No one. Except Jermaine. He's our franchise player."

Not Artest?

"No," Walsh said.

Not Bender?

"No."
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Orlando reportedly wanted Tinsley.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Given the way things have gone in Houston, Tmac might wish he'd looked a little deeper at Indiana.(Given the way things have gone, I wish he would have also)

Yeah, Walsh was supposedly ok with the 2-for-1, but they wanted a PG in return. No dice. I doubt the Magic are crying about it, though. Although getting Grant Hill back sure didn't hurt them any.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Ron + Jon worked, $$ wise.

Al + Ron or Al + Jon required additional Pacers, rumored to be F. Jones. As said above, we know for sure the combination of Ron + Jon was officially offered. Based on speculation at the time, Orlando never counter-offered because McGrady had hand-picked Houston. There was also speculation of a Ron + Jon + Al for T-Mac and Howard... I don't remember if that really worked or not.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

NO ONE WANTS HOWARD! every team he is on..THEY SUCK! It's a curse...I wouldn't have done that deal if howard was involved..lol

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JOneal7
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NO ONE WANTS HOWARD! every team he is on..THEY SUCK! It's a curse...I wouldn't have done that deal if howard was involved..lol
    I don't know about 'curse' but I was certainly less interested in McGrady when that rumor popped up.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you