Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/3/2013 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #6: Pacers Vs. Hawks

streets ahead

Default 5/3/2013 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #6: Pacers Vs. Hawks

MAKE YOURSELVES AT
    HOME...PLEASE...

-VS-

Game Time Start: 7:00 PM ET
    Where: Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA
    Officials: T. Brothers, R. Garretson, Z. Zarba, K. Fitzgerald

Television: FOX Sports South
    Radio: WFNI 1070 AM / WCNN 680 AM, 93.7 FM
    Media Notes: Indiana Notes, Atlanta Notes
    NBA Feeds: NBA Audio League Pass (available free to NBA All-Access members)

REMINDER: Per PD policy, please do not share a link to, describe how to search for, request a link to, or request a PM about streaming video of a NBA game that is not coming directly through the NBA. Not even in a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean" round-about sort of way. Thank you

Season Records: (W-L)
    52-34
    Away: 19-23
    46-40
    Home: 29-16
    Upcoming Games:
    May 05
    vs
    GAME 7 - TBD

Projected Starting Lineup:
    HIBBERT
    WEST
    GEORGE
    STEPHENSON
    HILL
    Projected Starting Lineup:
    PETRO
    HORFORD
    SMITH
    HARRIS
    TEAGUE

PACERS
    Danny Granger - left knee surgery (out)

HAWKS
    Zaza Pachulia - sore right Achilles (out)
    Lou Williams - torn ACL, right knee (out)

Perpetually Disappointing Trader Joe Minimally Relevant Video:

Semi-Relevant Video:

Eight Points Nine Seconds:
    Jared Wade: The Double Dribble Handoff - Indiana’s New Go-To Play

On their best road trip of the year, when Indiana went 4-0 winning in Houston, Dallas,
    Phoenix and Los Angeles (Clippers), they broke out a play that I hadn’t seen before. I’m
    not saying they never ran it — I miss a lot of things — but it definitely stood out.

Against the Hawks, in the postseason, they went to it again last night, though with less
    successful results.

We’ll get to that.

But to start, let’s look at the two ideal outcomes they got against the Rockets and
    Mavericks.

In back-to-back wins, they twice found themselves with a possession to end the first
    half. And they set up a crafty little way to get Lance Stephenson the ball moving at full
    speed. Essentially, the recognized his best attribute — running down hill when he can
    use either his physicality to finish strong or his keen decision making to find the open
    man — and they tried to turn a half-court possession into a virtual fast break led by
    Stephenson.

The Play Used in Houston

It is fast and impressive in real time.

Let’s break down the set they used to get Lance the layup.

They set up the inbounds play with everyone in a line at the foul line extended.

The two bigs run to the weak side to join Stephenson on the wing, leaving just George
    Hill (with the ball) and Sam Young on the right side of the court.

Hill dribbles towards Young. Young moves towards Hill.

Young takes the handoff and dribbles across the top of the key. Stephenson begins to
    start spinning his wheels as he approaches Young.

Young stops, hands the ball to Lance and — this is key — gets in the way of Carlos
    Delfino, who is covering Stephenson.

It is almost like a crossing route in the NFL. It’s definitely a lot like a moving screen
    in the NBA...CONTINUE READING AT 8p9s

Peachtree Hoops:
    Jason Walker: How the Hawks lost Game 5....in the second quarter

The box score shows the Hawks were still in the game into the fourth quarter, but the
    game was lost in the second quarter when Josh Smith picked up his second foul and left
    the game -- physically and spiritually.

On a night where Josh Smith, not Al Horford, was the best player on the floor for the
    Atlanta Hawks, Smith got The Horford Treatment (TM: Bret LaGree/Hoopinion) upon
    receiving his second foul of the first half, a capital offense that cost Smith the rest of
    half, his own personal mojo and the Hawks any chance of taking Game 5 in Indiana
    Wednesday night.

When Smith reached and fouled David West, there was 6:49 left in the second quarter
    and the Hawks held a one point lead.

Smith had been charging the Hawks with some high energy, getting four steals to that
    point and scoring 11 points. The Pacers were making the Hawks big men earn their
    buckets, with Smith making four of 11 shots to that point, but Smith's willingness to
    battle in the post and havoc created on the defensive end had given the Hawks the
    lead and brought the Hawks faithful to envision the possibility of stealing home court
    advantage.

Almost as soon as Smith left the game, the lead left the Hawks, never again to return
    as the Pacers ended the half with a 20-11 flourish, a prelude to a typically jump-
    shooty, noncompetitive Hawks road playoff effort in the second half.

After the Hawks had forced the Pacers into 10 turnovers with Smith on the floor,
    Indiana didn't turn it over a single time with Smith riding the Hawks bench for the
    remainder of the half.

The game was never the same, and while Larry Drew amazingly left Smith in the
    game in the third quarter after acquiring his third, fourth and fifth fouls, they were all
    acquired while the Pacers enjoyed a double-digit lead and had calcified their already
    stingy defense inside against the Hawks.

Given, Josh Smith had played every single minute to the point of getting that second
    foul and was probably due rest, but not six minutes worth. The time to be bold was
    when the game was still very much in question, not in desperation.

Look around the league at this time of the season and you'll see even geriatrics like
    Paul Pierce logging 45 minutes -- playing a player like Smith or Horford 46 minutes in
    a game shouldn't even be worth a second thought.

The Hawks aren't going to win a road game in the playoffs without going all-in long
    before the desperation point of a contest. They certainly won't win by jump shooting
    their way past the Pacers, as yet another chapter in the book of "Can't beat a physical
    team by backing away and firing long two-point shots" illustrates.

The Hawks disintegrated...CONTINUE READING AT PEACHTREE HOOPS

SB Nation:
    Tom Ziller: Hawks vs. Pacers and crushing NBA hipster guilt

I like watching the Warriors and Nuggets. I've written about the Bucks a lot. I know
    Greivis Vasquez's favorite moves. But Lord, I cannot get into Hawks vs. Pacers. Am I
    a bad NBA hipster?

First, there's guilt. "You haven't watched enough of the Pacers-Hawks series. Put on
    the Pacers-Hawks game. It's a contested series!" I put it on. Then there's the ennui.
    "God, I can't watch this." I go back to something glamorous, in this case the halftime
    show during Knicks-Celtics.

I am supposed to love all pro basketball. I am not remotely attracted to Hawks vs.
    Pacers. What is wrong with me?

If I spoke to a therapist, the therapist would surely say that I need to put my
    happiness first. I need to love myself before I love all pro basketball generally, and
    Hawks-Pacers specifically. And so long as I feel guilt at not loving Hawks-Pacers, I
    am not loving my sense of self. So I need to learn that it's okay to not love Hawks-
    Pacers.

I don't know why I feel guilty in the first place, to be honest. This series has been
    pretty awful from a competitive standpoint. Sure, it's 3-2 after Indiana's Game 5 win
    on Wednesday, but every game has been won by double-digits. The average margin
    has been 17. Where other series have featured crazy comebacks, Hawks-Pacers has
    nothing. Here is the formula for Hawks-Pacers: home team asserts will and
    dominates. The lead holds. Game over. There's no drama. There's no conflict. It's
    competitive only in the macro sense. There have actually been few possessions in the
    series in which a game has been competitive.

Maybe it's because I actually watched Game 3, which I figured would be an
    entertaining affair. Indiana had been dominant at home in the first two games, so I
    figured that Atlanta's own home court advantage would improve its performance and
    lead to a tight battle. Instead, the Pacers decided to score 30 points in the first half.
    30. I summoned all of my bravery to dip into Hawks-Pacers, and Indiana rewarded me
    with 27 percent shooting, 22 turnovers and 69 points.

When you mix the lack...CONTINUE READING AT SB NATION

140 Characters of (Non-PD) Coverage

Pacers
    Mike Wells @MikeWellsNBA
    Jared Wade @8pts9secs
    Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s
    Tom Lewis @indycornrows

Hawks
    Chris Vivlamore @ajchawks
    Co Co @cocoqt81
    Jason Walker @JasonWalkerSBN
    Kris Willis @Kris_Willis
    This is the darkest timeline.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Default Re: 5/3/2013 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #6: Pacers Vs. Hawks

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 5/3/2013 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #6: Pacers Vs. Hawks

Let's win.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got to agree with the boring series part of that last article. I'm not even pumped up about tonights game, what is wrong with me. lol I'll be watching it from tip off at the bar regardless hoping we finally break the trend and finish this series.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got to agree with the boring series part of that last article. I'm not even pumped up about tonights game, what is wrong with me. lol I'll be watching it from tip off at the bar regardless hoping we finally break the trend and finish this series.
    Every game has been a blowout. Plus the upside if the pacers win this series is almost nothing, we are expected to win - so the excitement isn't there. But a loss would be really bad, so the pressure is there though

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Since it's game 6, I'd like to say how the NBA completely ruined the 1st round by making it 7 games. These series have been terrible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Since it's game 6, I'd like to say how the NBA completely ruined the 1st round by making it 7 games. These series have been terrible.
    I don't agree. Most series don't really get good until the 6th game. I love the back and forth and the adjustments. As it tiurns out only the heat and Spurs proved that best of 7 wasn't needed.

Bottonline It has been 11 years, it isn't going back to 5 games, so why do people keep whining about it
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-03-2013 at 03:51 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe that we will win!

Hoping the lessons learned can be brought south. Will have to track the first half on the phone, have to work until 8 tonight. I feel a win coming for the Pacers.

Banned

I'm getting ready for a game 7.

If we win tonight, we'll probably win the series.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm getting ready for a game 7.
    Between the Knicks and Celtics?.....me too

Please bring the defense from Game 5 tonight! Also if there is room, Game 5 David West would be cool also

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

The bench has to show up *gulps* that means you Gerald Green

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    The bench has to show up *gulps* that means you, ANYONE FROM THE BENCH
    FIXED.

I will be happy with one of them showing up and doing something.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Doris Burke and the guy that just says J-Smooth with the call tonight!!!!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo

The article about the Lance hand-offs and the East / West misdirection plays is very interesting

Great thread. Let's hope that the defense shows up tonight.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Banned

Probably Josh Smith's last game in Atlanta? he is probably going to have a huge game tonight.

We get Doris Burke and this nobody AGAIN?!

Isn't Doris Burke a sideline reporter? What makes her an analyst?

Oh well, just as long as we close out this series tonight, I'm happy!

GO PACERS!

hope we show up and play our basketball tonight. i don't think i can stand another blowout loss to hawks.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

They finally got "Smashmouth" right instead of saying Smashball.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Well, since I have plans on Sunday, I'm pretty much banking on a loss tonight.

Sports Logo

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaance
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Well Lance wants to win tonight. Anyone else wanna join him?

edit: I feel like a broken record, but slow the game down guys.

Obvious 8 second violation missed.
    @qandrews9428

36. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post: