Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/1/2013 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #5: Pacers Vs. Hawks

streets ahead

Default 5/1/2013 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #5: Pacers Vs. Hawks

WAITING TO PANIC?

-VS-

Game Time Start: 8:00 PM ET
    Where: The Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
    Officials: M. McCutchen, D. Collins, B. Salvatore, J. Tiven

Television: FOX Sports Indiana FOX Sports South
    Radio: WFNI 1070 AM / WCNN 680 AM, 93.7 FM
    Media Notes: Indiana Notes, Atlanta Notes
    NBA Feeds: NBA Audio League Pass (available free to NBA All-Access members)

REMINDER: Per PD policy, please do not share a link to, describe how to search for, request a link to, or request a PM about streaming video of a NBA game that is not coming directly through the NBA. Not even in a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean" round-about sort of way. Thank you

Season Records: (W-L)
    51-34
    Home: 32-11
    46-39
    Away: 19-23
    Upcoming Games:
    May 03
    May 05
    at
    vs
    TBD
    TBD

Projected Starting Lineup:
    HIBBERT
    WEST
    GEORGE
    STEPHENSON
    HILL
    Projected Starting Lineup:
    PETRO
    HORFORD
    SMITH
    HARRIS
    TEAGUE

PACERS
    Danny Granger - left knee surgery (out)

HAWKS
    Zaza Pachulia - sore right Achilles (out)
    Lou Williams - torn ACL, right knee (out)

Perpetually Disappointing Trader Joe Minimally Relevant Video:

Semi-Relevant Video:

Eight Points Nine Seconds:
    Jared Wade: Pacers’ Road Struggles Hopefully Won’t Cost Them Series

Despite the evidence to the contrary over the past two games, I still expect Indiana to
    win this series. I know, I know. There are certainly multiple reasons for Pacers’ fans to
    be worried.

But Paul George probably summed it up best when asked about Indiana’s struggles
    away from home after Game 4: “It’s night and day. And it shouldn’t be like that.”

He is right about two things: If definitely shouldn’t be like that. It’s sad really, and it
    starts with George himself. He, like the whole team, has been night and day at home
    and on the road this year.

On the one hand, he’s a young player.

On the other, he’s a three-year vet who has started 164 regular season games, now
    appeared in 20 playoff games and played in one All-Star Game — during which he
    scored 17 points. LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony were the only
    three players to take more shots than George did in that midseason exhibition.

You would think such a career stepping stone would help eradicate any trepidation
    about playing anywhere. But so far in this postseason, George has been — let’s be
    kind and say — “not good” away from home.

He was magnificent in Games 1 and 2, starting the postseason off by living at the line
    and recording a triple double. Grown-man All-Star stuff. Then, in the second game at
    The Fieldhouse, he hit 10-of-17 shots inside the arc. If he had not missed three free
    throws, he would have had a 30-point game. Beast.

When it comes to first-time All-Stars debuting in the playoffs, George was DMX:
    dropping two classics in rapid succession right out the gate.

Then, on a plane ride to Atlanta, he seemingly lost all his powers — like Dark Man X
    minus the white lines

A less esoteric metaphor: It’s like he’s a superhero called Indiana Man, capable of
    leaping large buildings and decimating foes of any strength — but he loses all his
    otherworldly powers when he crosses state lines.

It’s a problem.

But, really, his struggles are just a microcosm for how badly the whole team played
    in Atlanta. George Hill’s lines in Games 3 and 4 were much, much worse. He scored
    15 points in two games on 5-for-23 (21.7%) shooting, including 0-for-9 (you do the
    math) from behind the arc. Lance Stephenson was equally terrible (1-for-7 shooting)
    in Game 3 while David West uncharacteristically spent half the game being more
    upset at the...CONTINUE READING AT 8p9s

Peachtree Hoops:
    Kris Willis: Hawks' defense smothers Pacers in Atlanta

The Atlanta Hawks held serve at home, now they have a chance to seize control of
    the series.

Mission accomplished for the Atlanta Hawks as they successfully hold serve at home
    against the Pacers and send the series back to Indiana for Game 5 tied at 2-2. Many
    pundits predicted this would be a short series but they clearly overlooked Atlanta's
    recent dominance over the Pacers at home. The Hawks have now defeated Indiana 13
    straight times at Philips Arena dating back to 2006.

Indiana was a below .500 team on the road this season but the Hawks were able to
    flip the script thanks to their improved defensive play. Indiana made 46 percent of
    their field goal attempts combined in Games 1 & 2 and saw that percentage plummet
    to just 33 percent in Games 3 & 4. That stat is no doubt skewed slightly by the Pacers'
    27 percent shooting performance in Game 3.

Taking it a step further Indiana made 65 percent of their shots at the rim in Game 1
    going 22-34. Game 2 was a similar story as they connected on 57 percent going 20-35.
    Atlanta adjusted for Game 3 holding the Pacers to 46 percent shooting at the rim on
    28 attempts. Indiana was able to get to the basket more in Game 4 but still only
    converted 48 percent of the time. So if Atlanta is to carry anything on the road with
    them in Game 5 it is that they need to continue to contest the Pacers inside at the rim
    and turn them primarily into a jump shooting team.

The Hawks found something when they turned to Josh Smith to guard Paul George and
    they were able to slow him down considerably after his performance in Games 1 & 2.
    George averaged 25 points a game over the first two in Indianapolis and converted at
    the rim 9-12 times. When he wasn't converting at the rim he was getting to the free
    throw line where he was 21-25 over the first two games.

In Atlanta with Smith primarily...CONTINUE READING AT PEACHTREE HOOPS

Eye On Basketball Blog:
    Matt Moore: Hawks know Josh Smith shouldn't take jumpers, but that's life

The Sunday afternoon film session wasn’t necessary. The Indiana Pacers knew they’d
    departed from normal in their Game 3 loss to the Atlanta Hawks in real-time, as they
    were being pushed around the floor at Philips Arena.

If you want to see something really funny, watch a Hawks home game and wait for
    that moment when Josh Smith catches the ball on the perimeter and hesitates. The
    minute that he looks at the rim, the entire arena, or at least the percentage of Hawks
    fans there (which often isn't very high), will produce this murmur of discontent, as if
    to say, "Josh, don't shoot that."

Then, when Smith gets later in the shot clock and it becomes evident he's taking that
    mid-range jumper or 3, a loud and audible "Noooooo!" can be heard. It's about the
    shot itself, where Smith is never great from. It's his biggest weakness and what keeps
    him from being a truly great player. And, apparently, the Hawks are aware as well.

To set the scene, here's Smith's shot chart from Game 1.

And that's a good game. Four-of-11 from mid-range and beyond is a "good" game for
    Smith. Here's a quote from Al Horford after the game via NBA.com:

“This was definitely one of those ‘ooh, aah' moments with Josh,” Al Horford
    said. “He gives you those ‘oohs' and then those ‘aahs.' It's kind of a ‘Yes'
    and then ‘No' thing going on. That's the way it is. I think [the fans]
    obviously want Josh to be successful. Everybody loves him here.
    Sometimes we do question his shot selection. But tonight he hit
    some big shots down the stretch, made some huge plays for
    other guys down the stretch and made plays to help us win this
    game. I know it might drive some people a little crazy. But it
    works for us and that's just the way it is.”

via Smith Fuels Hawks As They Pull Even With Pacers « NBA.com | Hang Time Blog.

When it works, it's great.

The problem is, so often...CONTINUE READING AT EYE ON BASKETBALL

140 Characters of (Non-PD) Coverage

Pacers
    Mike Wells @MikeWellsNBA
    Jared Wade @8pts9secs
    Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s
    Tom Lewis @indycornrows

Hawks
    Chris Vivlamore @ajchawks
    Co Co @cocoqt81
    Jason Walker @JasonWalkerSBN
    Kris Willis @Kris_Willis
    This is the darkest timeline.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 5/1/2013 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #5: Pacers Vs. Hawks

official strategy:

what to do:
    score more points than ATL
    win the game

what not to do:
    lose

I'm guaranteeing a W if we just follow my game plan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 5/1/2013 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #5: Pacers Vs. Hawks

I'm starting to think that Vogel should try going big tonight, with Tyler at the 3 and Paul at the 2. Bring Lance off the bench. Not sure how that would affect our transition defense (which hasn't been very good anyway), but it should help against Atlanta's front court a bit.

Plus, I want to see Tyler get in Korver's grill.

MANNNNN. NBAAAATVVV FTLLLLLLLL. I don't understand why they don't stream the playoff games if they are on NBA TV. SO DUMB. Be progressive and put the game on youtube NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm starting to think that Vogel should try going big tonight, with Tyler at the 3 and Paul at the 2. Bring Lance off the bench. Not sure how that would affect our transition defense (which hasn't been very good anyway), but it should help against Atlanta's front court a bit.

Don't like that idea at all. Imagine Tyler trying to close out on Korver at the 3 point line

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

I have ESPN on at work (I work for Sling Media so we have a lot of TVs on here) and you'd think the Knicks/Celtics game is the only game tonight, seriously they are mentioning it every 5 minutes but *zero* coverage of our game (or of OKC/Houston for that matter). smh

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    Don't like that idea at all. Imagine Tyler trying to close out on Korver at the 3 point line
    Yeah I like the idea of going big but I'm not sure we have the right personnel for it in this case. I could see Vogel trying it for a short stretch though depending on who ATL has on the floor at the time.

Oh god that would be a bad idea.

They would just play zone on us and pack the middle.

We would have no one to push the ball (Hill and PG aren't as great as Lance at that field). Don't kill Lance's confidence
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Just saw it's Paul George's birthday tomorrow...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Mood

I would start Sam in the big lineup over Tyler fwiw.

I am hoping for a total demolishing of the Hawks to make me feel less sick about the last two games. A guy can dream.

Dutch Pacers Fan

I understand they've gone bigger the last two games, but really, shouldn't Roy be able to beat up on Petro? Roy was an all-star last year, he should be able to take advantage of playing against a career back-up!
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

Let's see what we're made of...
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Quote Originally Posted by pacersgroningen View Post
    I understand they've gone bigger the last two games, but really, shouldn't Roy be able to beat up on Petro? Roy was an all-star last year, he should be able to take advantage of playing against a career back-up!
    Roy unfortunately isn't Shaq, he isn't a big body that can just abuse another big. Petro is just there as a big guy to prevent Roy from getting easy looks on his hooks.
    Last edited by immortality; 05-01-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Atmosphere worse than game 2 but better than game 1.

Really enjoyed watching the opening video they put together!

Harris playing in this game is a joke.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Mood

Wow, George Hill must have his shoes cemented to the ground.

Who taught George Hill how to play defense?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Harris playing in this game is a joke.
    If it was a Pacer they would have been suspended.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Slick was advocating it on radio.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Good lord, are these refs watching the same game I am? Looks like it will be a rough night.

So which one of our players slept with a ref's wife after Game 2?

This has gotten ridiculous.

Mood

If Atlanta is doubling in the posts George has to make them pay.

Sports Logo

Roy
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014