Thread: Buffalo Bills acquire Jerry Hughes from Colts; trade Kelvin Sheppard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Buffalo Bills acquire Jerry Hughes from Colts; trade Kelvin Sheppard

The Buffalo Bills announced on Monday that they have traded linebacker Kelvin Sheppard to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for pass rusher Jerry Hughes.

Hughes, 24, is a former first-round draft pick (circa the 2010 NFL Draft) that has done very little with the Colts, registering 62 tackles and five sacks in three seasons - though he did emerge a bit in a 3-4 defense with four sacks in 2012. The 6'2", 254-pound edge rusher played collegiately at TCU and was highly-rated on Buffalo's draft board three years ago, when GM Buddy Nix was in his first year on the job. In his last two years at TCU, Hughes recorded 36 tackles for a loss and 26.5 sacks.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013...-sheppard]LINK
    I am fine with this trade because we were probably going to cut Hughes or not re-sign him in next offseason. At least we got something for him. Kelvin sounds like he can be some competition for Pat. I really have not been that enamored with him anyways.

As Michael Grady tweeted, who is going to start scuffles after kick and punt returns now???? That was the only thing he was good for.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Buffalo Bills acquire Jerry Hughes from Colts; trade Kelvin Sheppard

I'm okay with this too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Buffalo Bills acquire Jerry Hughes from Colts; trade Kelvin Sheppard

About time! Good riddance! So much for the "joker" rusher that Bill Polian referred him as.
    BUILT, NOT BOUGHT

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

I like it.... not necessarily the trade, but the idea the Colts are willing to get rid of players they have no use for. In the past it seemed they were too bent on where they were drafted and didn't want to admit to mistakes.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

so we got a possible starting ILB for a back-up to possibly 3rd string linebacker? Great trade!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

this obviously means that the Colts have high hopes for Bjoern Werner and Erik Walden duo, but man our run D is going to be really good

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like it.... not necessarily the trade, but the idea the Colts are willing to get rid of players they have no use for. In the past it seemed they were too bent on where they were drafted and didn't want to admit to mistakes.
    To be fair it's not this management's mistakes, it's the old management's. It's easier to get rid of other people's problems than your own...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love this trade we needed another MLB because alot of them are coming out of contract next year.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Seems like a good trade for the Colts.

Jerry Hughes hasn't shown much since coming into the league and Kevin Sheppard has shown some productivity. I like it.

Like the trade. Hated the drafting of Hughes in the first place. He did play better last season though. Again, he was in the wrong scheme when he was drafted.

Really think Angerer should be traded. He's good, but he doesn't really fit into the new scheme all that well.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

There are only a few Polian players left. I love it! Polian was so over-rated not to mention his smug,condescending attitude. I was literally dancing when he was fired. Manning made a lot of his draft picks look better than what they were and his flawed defensive philosophy failed year after year yet he wouldn't budge or admit he was wrong.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

whatever, junk for junk.

Turning the page was best for everyone involved. Lot of depth and competition at LB. that's always good!!

Mood

I thought this was a pretty good trade for all involved. Hughes was in a scheme that he does not fit in well and a fresh start in Buffalo may be the thing that makes him a better and more dedicated player. I think Sheppard needed a new fresh start as well. It seems like we are grabbing up lower hyped younger guys and I like Sheppard in our defensive scheme. A lot of people think we need to ship out Angerer but I would like to see his transition in year 2 before we talk trading the guy because he is a very smart and talented player. If we could rotate our LB core for situations that are beneficial to the team we will be in good. Having a lot of young and talented LB's that can rotate in and out depending the situation sound great. We may have not gotten any of the flashy players in free agency (except Landry) I believe that we are building a pretty good defensive unit to go along with our offense hopefully we won't have to worry about last minute drives to win a game or having to come back from behind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    There are only a few Polian players left. I love it! Polian was so over-rated not to mention his smug,condescending attitude. I was literally dancing when he was fired. Manning made a lot of his draft picks look better than what they were and his flawed defensive philosophy failed year after year yet he wouldn't budge or admit he was wrong.
    Six time executive of the year Bill Polian? The Bill Polian who took teams to the Super Bowl 7 times? The shoo-in hall of famer, Bill Polian? He had the best record in the NFL with the Colts for a decade and took them to two Super Bowls. What did he have to apologize for?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Gold View Post
    Six time executive of the year Bill Polian? The Bill Polian who took teams to the Super Bowl 7 times? The shoo-in hall of famer, Bill Polian? He had the best record in the NFL with the Colts for a decade and took them to two Super Bowls. What did he have to apologize for?
    You left out the Bill Polian who got fired after a 2-14 season......
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    You left out the Bill Polian who got fired after a 2-14 season......
    Yes, after losing the best QB in the NFL for an entire season. I have no doubt that Peyton would have gotten 10 wins or more out of that team if he had been able to play. Now, I do agree that not having a first class back-up QB was a real mistake but with his record, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt. That was quite a run from that team and they rode it hard....

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Gold View Post
    Yes, after losing the best QB in the NFL for an entire season. I have no doubt that Peyton would have gotten 10 wins or more out of that team if he had been able to play. Now, I do agree that not having a first class back-up QB was a real mistake but with his record, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt. That was quite a run from that team and they rode it hard....
    I generally agree and was mostly being sarcastic. Polian consistently drafted pro bowl quality talent for a solid eight straight years, but the quality of the drafts immediately began to go downhill in 2007 after we won the Super Bowl. I think that Polian took a step back after winning the Super Bowl and delegated more to his son, which isn't hard to believe considering that Polian was 65 at that point. Winning the Super Bowl was the one thing missing from his resume', so there was really nothing else to accomplish once he got it.

Nothing lasts forever and it was time to part ways. A GM, like a player or coach, can lose their touch after a while.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I generally agree and was mostly being sarcastic. Polian consistently drafted pro bowl quality talent for a solid eight straight years, but the quality of the drafts immediately began to go down hill in 2007 after we won the Super Bowl. I think that Polian took a step back after winning the Super Bowl and delegated more to his son, which isn't hard to believe considering that Polian was 65 at that point. Winning the Super Bowl was the one thing missing from his resume', so there was really nothing else to accomplish once he got it.

Nothing lasts forever and it was time to part ways. A GM, like a player or coach, can lose their touch after a while.
    I don't disagree with all of that but there is no use in putting down a legendary general manager. It just makes one look petty and pretty silly.....