Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets cut Tebow

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jets cut Tebow

It's such exciting news when a crappy backup quarterback on a crappy team gets released after not doing squat last season. It's so exciting that as of the time I post this, it's the main story on wthr.com, the Indy NBC affiliate. This is a big deal, like when Peyton Manning was released last year.

(Not directed at you, VA. I just hate all of the national attention that this guy gets).

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

What bugs me is that there will be people who are going to say that the Broncos should've kept Tebow over Manning since Tebow won his playoff game (never mind they finished the exact same place they did the year before.)

Ugh

Honestly though I'm surprised they did it this soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's such exciting news when a crappy backup quarterback on a crappy team gets released after not doing squat last season. It's so exciting that as of the time I post this, it's the main story on wthr.com, the Indy NBC affiliate. This is a big deal, like when Peyton Manning was released last year.

(Not directed at you, VA. I just hate all of the national attention that this guy gets).
    I read your post right as I posted this. I almost put in a line "Sollozo dont read this thread"

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    What bugs me is that there will be people who are going to say that the Broncos should've kept Tebow over Manning since Tebow won his playoff game (never mind they finished the exact same place they did the year before.)

Ugh

First thing I heard in the office: he should have stayed in Denver.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

If Tebow never starts another game, he has had one of the WEIRDEST careers ever.
    DG for 3

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

Ugh

Those people would be idiots and should be ignored by any football fan.

Hopefully he is not signed by anyone so his rabbid fanbase can go away. I have never seen such a crappy QB get such a large fanbase. Even when the Broncos went 8-8 and upset the Steelers you would have thought he was carrying that team and nobody else on that team was any good.

I still, to this day, do not understand why the Jets traded for him. What possible value would he bring to the team? The final Tebow cost is a 4th-round pick, $1.5M in salary for Tebow and $2.5 million to Broncos. Still owe Broncs $1.5M. What a waste of money and time.
    Last edited by thewholefnshow31; 04-29-2013 at 11:43 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Send him to the UFL! We'd never hear from him again!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually like Tebow as a person and player. The circus that follows him is largely not even his doing. He doesn't do anything to grab attention, the attention just seems to follow him. I think the Jets were a horrible situation for him. He's not your prototypical QB, but in the right system he can win games for you. He can largely thank Peyton Manning for his current situation, lol.... had Manning never went to Denver, Tebow would likely still be their starter. It's amazing how he took Denver on a wild, deep playoff ride, and then Manning is released in the off-season and Tebow went from being the Mayor of Denver to likely not even in the NFL and all he did was elevate Broncos football to crazy status --- and this is what he gets.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of course it's not his fault he gets this much attention. From what I read, he is a hard working fella. He is though a QB who can't throw the ball which makes him, you know.. not a good one.

What pisses me off is what thewholefnshow31 said above. He has a tremendous fanbase for basically no reason. It's like having DJ Augustin of this year and have a media circus following him whenever he goes 24/7. The mind boggles.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Of course it's not his fault he gets this much attention. From what I read, he is a hard working fella. He is though a QB who can't throw the ball which makes him, you know.. not a good one.

What pisses me off is what thewholefnshow31 said above. He has a tremendous fanbase for basically no reason. It's like having DJ Augustin of this year and have a media circus following him whenever he goes 24/7. The mind boggles.
    to be fair to Tebow, he did have one of the greatest college careers in NCAA history. Between what he did in college and what he is off the field, thats the biggest reason for his big following.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I actually like Tebow as a person and player. The circus that follows him is largely not even his doing. He doesn't do anything to grab attention, the attention just seems to follow him. I think the Jets were a horrible situation for him. He's not your prototypical QB, but in the right system he can win games for you. He can largely thank Peyton Manning for his current situation, lol.... had Manning never went to Denver, Tebow would likely still be their starter. It's amazing how he took Denver on a wild, deep playoff ride, and then Manning is released in the off-season and Tebow went from being the Mayor of Denver to likely not even in the NFL and all he did was elevate Broncos football to crazy status --- and this is what he gets.
    And if he had the long lasting NFL talent to be a starter in this league then being dumped by the Broncos wouldn't have mattered a team would've used him.

I am just annoyed that I keep hearing in general how its Manning's fault Tebow is unemployed right now. Point is Tebow would've been tossed aside Manning or not.

Well at least he's making sure he doesn't appear on "Broke"

http://tbo.com/news/business/tampas-...ow-b82478966z1
    Tampa's PDQ chain makes fan of Tebow

TAMPA - After leading the University of Florida to a football championship and joining the New York Jets as quarterback, Tim Tebow can add another title to his career: chicken sandwich entrepreneur.

The originator of the Tebowing kneeling fad is financially backing several north Florida locations of the fast-growing, Tampa-based chicken sandwich chain PDQ. Tebow joins a growing list of other pro athletes backing PDQ in some form, including Derrick Brooks and Vinny Testaverde.

Tebow's Jacksonville site could open late this summer at 3260 Hodges Blvd.

Lest anyone worry that the devoutly Christian Tebow is tying his public persona to a restaurant with an acronym of profanity, company officials hasten to explain that PDQ stands for “People Dedicated to Quality.”

Tebow's enchantment with PDQ started last year. He was visiting an injured Marine in Tampa who had graduated from Plant High School, and the PDQ across the street brought in lunch.

“They liked the food so much they came back for dinner that night,” said Nick Reader, chief executive of MVP Holdings, which is the corporate backer of PDQ. Tebow and his brother Robby spent time chatting with company officials about the business, and Robby peppered the officials with a long list of questions about the operations, the job-creation levels, the processes, the expansion plans and so on.

In the following months, Tim Tebow showed up at the PDQ location in Carrollwood and posed for photos with fans/customers while Robby helped craft a deal.

“Tim has endorsement deals with Nike, Jockey and others, but this is our first real business venture where we have skin in the game,” Robby said, as his brother was in training for the NFL season and not available for comment. “The people involved are incredible, and the fact that the food is made fresh every day, and every time we've brought people in they've said it's the best chicken tender or milkshake they've ever had.”

Robby, 31, is president of XV Enterprises, which handles the off-field business activities for Tim, who is 25.

PDQ doesn't technically franchise their locations as McDonald's or Checkers does. Rather, the company has investors privately back a new location, and those investors share in the proceeds while PDQ retains control of day-to-day operations.

PDQ has seven locations open in Florida and North Carolina, and has seven more planned in the Southeast, including several backed by Tebow that could ultimately go in to Gainesville, Ocala and the Jacksonville area, with others to come in Georgia.

Tebow follows in the footsteps of many athletes looking for a career outside athletics.

Former NFL quarterback Dan Marino is an investor in the Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza chain, which happens to have a new location a block north of the PDQ in South Tampa.

Such deals often are wide-ranging, sometimes with athletes renting their name for a company's advertising, sometimes with athletes investing behind the scenes, and sometimes with the athletes building their own careers. Star quarterback Roger Staubach, for instance, built a successful commercial real estate practice in the off-season and founded his own real estate company.

Tampa's Lee Roy Selmon was deeply involved in founding the barbecue restaurant company that bears his name, and that restaurant group shares some backers with those who founded PDQ.

In some ways, PDQ has already started cooperating with Tebow. Food for Tebow's namesake celebrity golf tournament is provided by PDQ

Mood

I hope he gets another chance. I'm a big fan of his and he deserves better than what he got in NY.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I like Tebow. I understand the people that get irritated that he gets a lot of attention but it's because of his college career with the Florida Gators and because he is a humble Christian man.

No one deserved to be on the Jets BS circus, that situation was going to be bad from the start and most people probably agree with me on that.

I hope he finds a team that needs a QB and he does well again. The guy can be fun to watch if he isn't you know, playing on Special Teams and being asked to be a Full Back or TE.

I think he'll get another shot.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Had he stayed with the Jets, I would have hoped for another Hard Knocks with Sanchez, Geno Smith and Tebow.
    Now that would be something to watch.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

If he's any good then someone will sign him and he'll prove it. I personally think he is a terrible QB.

Regardless, I'm not looking forward to the nauseating attention that will follow him wherever he goes. I've never seen so much attention given to someone who has accomplished so little in the NFL.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i find it extremely hard to believe somebody could spend all their high school, college, and playoff-caliber career being "terrible" at quarterbacking. I think that gets thrown around way too much about Tebow. I will agree that throwing is not his strong suit, but he can still quarterback a team using other qualities, while mixing in a few successful throws here and there. It's not my personal style... but I do think he can find a place in this league. The Jets were the absolute worst place he could've landed.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

i find it extremely hard to believe somebody could spend all their high school, college, and playoff-caliber career being "terrible" at quarterbacking. I think that gets thrown around way too much about Tebow. I will agree that throwing is not his strong suit, but he can still quarterback a team using other qualities, while mixing in a few successful throws here and there. It's not my personal style... but I do think he can find a place in this league. The Jets were the absolute worst place he could've landed.
    He's terrible at NFL quarterbacking. Only the best of the best of the best can be successful at NFL quarterbacking. If throwing isn't a strong suit, then you have a very big weakness in today's NFL.

Anyone remember Jason White from Oklahoma? He won the Heisman trophy and took Oklahoma to the BCS championship game, yet he wasn't even drafted.

But like I said, if he really does have skill then someone out there will notice it and give him a chance.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just disagree then. There's more to quarterbacking than just throwing. He's not the best thrower, but he never was, and he has won many, many games not having Aaron Rodgers arm. He's definitely outside the box, and it requires some thought outside that to see his value.

I just disagree then. There's more to quarterbacking than just throwing. He's not the best thrower, but he never was, and he has won many, many games not having Aaron Rodgers arm. He's definitely outside the box, and it requires some thought outside that to see his value.
    But why spend all of that effort "thinking outside of the box" with him when you can instead develop a traditional passer that is far more suited for today's NFL?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are many teams out there who don't have a good quarterback. Like Jacksonville last year who was rumored to be a landing spot for him before the Jets inexplicably landed him. I firmly believe had he went there last year, both Tebow and the Jags would've had better seasons than they did.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I like Tebow. I understand the people that get irritated that he gets a lot of attention but it's because of his college career with the Florida Gators and because he is a humble Christian man.

No one deserved to be on the Jets BS circus, that situation was going to be bad from the start and most people probably agree with me on that.

I hope he finds a team that needs a QB and he does well again. The guy can be fun to watch if he isn't you know, playing on Special Teams and being asked to be a Full Back or TE.

I think he'll get another shot.
    What I have heard on the news is that other teams HAVE asked him about playing TE for them, and he turned them down. Maybe he will change his mind at some point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a proven winner. Even when he was winning games by being a "terrible quarterback", his quarterbacking was questioned. I think the big thing is, his style is not what people are used to, and they have a hard time grasping that a quarterback doesn't have to be ______ . You know? We all have this preconceived notion of what a quarterback should be, and then someone comes along and plays it in a way we don't recognize, and we immediately shoot it down, and don't give it a shot. Denver gave it a shot, and they went on a deep playoff run. It didn't make sense to many people, but the results are the results. It's like people forgot how successful he can be at his job, simply because he went against his will to a jets team that has absolutely no idea what they're doing, and they stuck him into a system that sucked, performing roles that weren't suited to him, and everyone pointed and said, "See? He sucks." I could see Tebow succeeding in a few different offensive systems... Wildcat... these fancy new college hybrid option offenses like what RG3 and Wilson run...

He's a proven winner. Even when he was winning games by being a "terrible quarterback", his quarterbacking was questioned. I think the big thing is, his style is not what people are used to, and they have a hard time grasping that a quarterback doesn't have to be ______ . You know? We all have this preconceived notion of what a quarterback should be, and then someone comes along and plays it in a way we don't recognize, and we immediately shoot it down, and don't give it a shot. Denver gave it a shot, and they went on a deep playoff run. It didn't make sense to many people, but the results are the results. It's like people forgot how successful he can be at his job, simply because he went against his will to a jets team that has absolutely no idea what they're doing, and they stuck him into a system that sucked, performing roles that weren't suited to him, and everyone pointed and said, "See? He sucks." I could see Tebow succeeding in a few different offensive systems... Wildcat... these fancy new college hybrid option offenses like what RG3 and Wilson run...
    Until he gets figured out

Sorry, couldnt resist.

I personally think he got too much credit when things went well (like Denver) but I do not think he is a bum.

I do find it odd no one would even offer a 7th round pick for him, but pro sports are a what have you done for me lately business.