Thread: Collapse? Or just one bad game

Default Collapse? Or just one bad game

Now if the Pacers lose 10 out of their next 11 games we can talk about a collapse. Just wanted to get your attention.

Just got back from the game, really bad game. I don't think I am going to anymore games this season, because the last three games I have gone to, Hornets, Rockets and Nets the Pacers have lost. For financial reasons I am going to a lot fewer games this season.

I have been to everyone of the Pacers home losses except the Celts loss, I saw them lose to the Bucks, Magic, Nets, Rockets, Hornets. In the 10 games I have gone to the Pacers are 5-5. Sorry.

Now let's talk about the game tonight.

You could see it from the opening minute, the Hornets were ready, the Pacers were still in Cancun.

The Hornets manhandled the Pacers in every way possible. Peck, I was thinking of you tonight as the Hornets basically just over powered the Pacers. The rebounding was ugly, part of it was because Baron Davis was getting into the lane with ease and the big men had to help but the other part of it wass Foster and J.O were just getting manhandled

Baron Davis was blowing by our guards with such ease and the help defense was thinking of babes in bikinis. If Baron would clean up his horrible shot selection, he would be the best point guard in the NBA and a top 5 player in the whole league.

Everytime J.O got the ball Armstrong left Tinsley and doubled, and Tinsley could not hit the shot. This concerns me as teams start to prepare more and more to stop the Pacers inside game, they will leave the points guard wide open.

There was a little Ron Artest incident tonight. In the third quarter, he re-injured his thumb when he fell on it, you could tell he was in a lot of pain, so the next time down the floor, Ron pulls something off of the stanchion on the basket closest to the Pacers bench. It was some type of wire. No other equipment was damaged. After this incident was when Ronnie started going to the basket with abandon and was getting fouled every time.

Overall, I am not too concerned about this game, I know Rick does not want to use the allstar break as an excuse, but it had an effect.

Default Re: Collapse? Or just one bad game

I hope and trust this was just one bad game. But the Hornets sure did make us look bad. Our transition defense was still in Cancun, too.

Our players are not good enough to play without urgency.

Jamaal is not a very good player when his wide open "three's" don't fall.

Ronnie got 16 free throws. Wow

Not that I blame this for the loss but Ronnie missing the practice and not starting threw things off and I think it was a factor in the lackluster play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What I really think is that our offense was stagnant as hell tonight.

The good news is that we are not as bad as we played tonight. The bad news is that New Orleans is probably that good, now that Mashburn is back.

Their defense did an excellent job of double-teaming JO and swarming back to the ball after JO passed.

One thing I've noticed is that JO seems to hit just about every single 12-15 foot shot he takes when he is in a catch and shoot situation facing the basket. He would certainly expend much less energy if we made an effort to set up about 30% or more of his touches in a catch and shoot situation.

But one thing is for certain. We made it far too easy for NO's defense tonight. Our offense must be crisper than it showed tonight.

As we all know there are about 10 games a year that you just have no control over. This was one of those.

Even as pessemistic as I normally am I take nothing away from this game other than a few things.

1. They had this game circled on their calenders. This game was important to them, to us it was just another game. It should have been important to us but what the hell, we've already beat them twice this year.

2. We should not try to play zone against a team that can hit their jump shots.

3. This one really is more of a recent problem that I have began to notice against the Knicks & even the Bulls but was really apperant tonight. We do not have enough bulk up front. Foster gets his boards but he is not able to bang down low with real big guys. Pollard just does not have the skill & Austin has lost to much weight.

Uncle Buck I'm glad you thought of me but at the same time you were thinking of me I was thinking of this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

It was the biggest butt kickin by a superior team since the lakers loss early in the season. The key to the offense (the defense) just wasnt there. Even though reggie and ron and jamaal shot badly, N.O. really outplayed them, was more physical, and that doesn't happen very often. Great win for N.O. they are a tough mean badass team and if they play like they will be really hard to beat in a 7 game series. They were supposed to be slippin too, and came and beat the snot out of the Pacers. Disturbing game to start the 2nd half of the season.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This game just re-emphasizes why I'm sooooo in favor of getting DD or Damp or Cato. We have got to have stronger players(and I mean strongman attitude too). Big physical players have their way with our guys and that allows them to take JO completely out of his game.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

There were several similarities between The Knicks loss and the Hornets loss, besides the Pacers playing bad.

Point guard who was doing whatever he wanted, Marbury & Davis, and big people who were manhadling the apcers inside by getting offensive rebs and pushing Jeff and J.O around.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Well, that was one stinker of a ballgame. I don't have much to add: our defense was awful, we got pushed around, they were quicker to the ball and were able to penetrate, etc. I expected our shooting to be bad because of the layoff, but we really got drilled by a team that was better in every aspect for one night. Not sure they're really better than us in a seven game series, but...

They're a very likely second round matchup, if we think we've got matchup problems with them the way we currently stand, we should be thinking about how/ where we can force the advantage back into our favor, including perhaps a trade.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

At halftime I wasn't too concerned because I thought Captain Ron would start the second half and the team would get back in sync. I guess if you're late you don't start the game and if you totally miss practice you don't start the 2nd half, either.....

I'd like to blame Ron for throwing off the team chemistry, but I guess I really have to blame UB for the loss. Pacers at Home: 21-6 UB: 5-5

(After last night I'm right around the norm at 10-3)
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I look at this game a little differently. Consider this: Al Harrington was a nonfactor. JO was not hitting the glass hard. Ron Artest couldn't hit anything. Reggie's shots were in and out. Anthony Johnson was HORRIBLE. Freddie didn't show anything until garbage time and for some reason Jeff Foster disappeared on the bench. Also, New Orleans elevated their games across the board. The ancient Darrell Armstrong was playing possessed and Traylor was dominating.

Under these circumstances, the Pacers should lose no matter who they play. Every team has games like this and the trick is to not make too much out of individual game and concentrate on the next game. Now, if we lose a couple more in this fashion, then we need to re-evaluate. I am willing to chalk this one up to rust due to a 7 day layover.

Collapse or one bad game?...guess it depends on how they respond to this loss....

Like many have said here...some nights just seem beyond control...last night was awful...and there is plenty of blame to lay at everyones feet... no one had any energy... which isn't real suprising considering we just came out of the All-Star break... but then, so did everyone else.

Pacers need to put this game behind them, but hopefully their pride was dinged just enough to help them re-focus.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I look at this game a little differently. Consider this: Al Harrington was a nonfactor. JO was not hitting the glass hard. Ron Artest couldn't hit anything. Reggie's shots were in and out. Anthony Johnson was HORRIBLE. Freddie didn't show anything until garbage time and for some reason Jeff Foster disappeared on the bench. Also, New Orleans elevated their games across the board. The ancient Darrell Armstrong was playing possessed and Traylor was dominating.

Under these circumstances, the Pacers should lose no matter who they play. Every team has games like this and the trick is to not make too much out of individual game and concentrate on the next game. Now, if we lose a couple more in this fashion, then we need to re-evaluate. I am willing to chalk this one up to rust due to a 7 day layover.
    I always wait to post on these things until I've had a chance to cool off. Last night's scrimmage was horrible. But I like what you said tseramid - EVERYONE played horribly. Hopefully that means that EVERYONE got the bad game out of their system. Usually you would see 2 or 3 people have a bad game, but I didn't see a single positive performance last night. Even Carlisle didn't seem to be into the game for some reason - maybe he knew what would happen by the practice they had or something. If they don't play well on Friday, then I'll be really concerned.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I think this is the beginning of the Collapse of '04. Eminent second seed and first round sweep by the Knicks.

The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I think this is the beginning of the Collapse of '04. Eminent second seed and first round sweep by the Knicks.
    Someone just had to say it, huh?...