Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'm Sorry, But I'm Already Geeking Up For Knicks Vs Hicks: The Rebirth

Default Re: I'm Sorry, But I'm Already Geeking Up For Knicks Vs Hicks: The Rebirth

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other than superior museums, nightlife, visiting musicians, artists, for the most part superior restaurants etc... Just because you are nominally doing the "same thing" doesn't make it so. I'm from Indianapolis btw.
    Do you go out much?

You say that, but if you look you can have an absolute blast in Indy. You say it's superior but I doubt you really spend much time going out. Because if you want great music? Indy has it. If you want great restuarants? Indy has them. If you want great bars? Indy has them. Arts, monuments (more than any city save for DC), after spending enough time all over the US, I've discovered how badass Indy really is. I'd rather live in a few other places sure, but the "nothing to do" is a pile of ********, a dumb stereotype that was true for many years but no longer.

If you want to party? Indy will rock your world. I know this because I've worked 6 years in the bar industry and I've partied every where. Nola, Vegas and NYC top the party here. That's it.

And before anyone brings up LA, let's be clear, LA sucks. There are about 30 other cities in California that kick LA's ***.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I'm Sorry, But I'm Already Geeking Up For Knicks Vs Hicks: The Rebirth

I'd say, besides cost of living, the major factors most important to me in deciding between the 2 cities/states would be CRIME and FREEDOMS (or lackthereof) .

As with any large city, there will be crime. But in this category in comparison to Chicago, I'd choose Indy 10 times out of 10 ..
    The murder rate and overall violent crimes commited in Chicago should be enough to make a person tuck tail and keep a good distance.. and especially at night..

My own personal experience of driving to/through Chicago left little to be desired. To a person who doesn't know the area and surrounding suburbs, it can be dangerous.... possibly deadly. It's real easy to get lost and get off on the wrong exit ramp on the winding expressway through Chicago. In my case, I was on a roadtrip with a friend who asked me to ride up to Chi town with him just for the hell of it for the weekend.. So moving on... we were on the expressway and it was like 1 or 2am and dark outside..

The first wrong exit ramp we took landed us in an area where all the signs were Chinese.. so I'm guessing that was the Chinatown exit..lol After finally finding out way back on the expressway.. the next one all the signs seemed to be in Spanish... Granted , we were around 19 or 20 yrs old ,and we had been chiefing the whole trip up there..lol but let me tell you, it felt like every other exit we were in a different freakin country.. lol no lie... Another exit, and the most memorable of the 3 or 4 wrong exits we were lost in, was the most GHETTO I have every had the experience of seeing firsthand.. When I say ghetto, I'm saying from the moment we drove into it, I felt a sense of fear mixed with a panic brewing in the pit of my stomach.. saying "we need to get the f*** out of here.."....I mean there were roves of gang looking small groups of people flaggin their set witta bunch of bandanas on and I knew we were in some s*** ...

Let's put it this way, if there was a whiteboy within a 2 mile radius from that exit- in , he was probably a dead white boy.. lolz..

So yea, here we are , in a nice black Beretta GTU with nice rims smack dab in the middle of Menace II Society ... trying to GTFO of dodge ..
    After figuring out where the on ramp was to get back on expressway, we had to get turned around. So we pull into an alley to back up and get goin the other way...And just our luck, the headlights shone into the alley upon what appeared to be a drug deal... About 75 ft or so in front of us, there were 3 or 4 dudes standing around the back of this car messing with something in the trunk.

When they looked up and saw us pull in I saw one of the dudes slam the trunk lid shut and opened up this big brief case on top of it. This mother****** pulled out what appeared to be an UZI.... DAMN LUCKY for us, he was doing this as we were speeding off after having turned around, cause all we heard was the squealing of our tires and the sound of an automatic weapon being discharged in our direction.... We ended up going to michigan ave and walking around downtown, but it was dead. Soo we ended up getting a sandwich and driving back towards home, stopping off at a reststop to sleep a few hours..

So yea, that was the last time I've been to Chicago... haven't been back since..

I know there are parts of Indy that are bad, but they are mr. rogers neighborhood in comparison to what I've seen and heard of Chicago.
    Last edited by Kemo; 04-27-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Next stop June 2015

I worked in Detroit and know what Kemo is talking about. When it got even remotely close to dusk, people left the city. I parked in a guarded parking garage with bars but one of my co-worker's car was stolen 3 times in just 9 months...during broad daylight. Some guy jumped on my car as I was exiting the interstate (i.e. the Lodge freeway) one afternoon. If buildings were standing, they were burned out. I also got off on the wrong exit one time and thought I had landed in Beirut. Seriously...Detroit is really, really bad for the USA. It's worse than Chicago IMO by some distance and I've been to both many times.

Edit: The city of Detroit is so bad that even if we tried to give it, a couple billion dollars and General Motors to Canada, they would never take it.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 04-27-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I'd say, besides cost of living, the major factors most important to me in deciding between the 2 cities/states would be CRIME and FREEDOMS (or lackthereof) .

As with any large city, there will be crime. But in this category in comparison to Chicago, I'd choose Indy 10 times out of 10 ..
    The murder rate and overall violent crimes commited in Chicago should be enough to make a person tuck tail and keep a good distance.. and especially at night..

My own personal experience of driving to/through Chicago left little to be desired. To a person who doesn't know the area and surrounding suburbs, it can be dangerous.... possibly deadly. It's real easy to get lost and get off on the wrong exit ramp on the winding expressway through Chicago. In my case, I was on a roadtrip with a friend who asked me to ride up to Chi town with him just for the hell of it for the weekend.. So moving on... we were on the expressway and it was like 1 or 2am and dark outside..

The first wrong exit ramp we took landed us in an area where all the signs were Chinese.. so I'm guessing that was the Chinatown exit..lol After finally finding out way back on the expressway.. the next one all the signs seemed to be in Spanish... Granted , we were around 19 or 20 yrs old ,and we had been chiefing the whole trip up there..lol but let me tell you, it felt like every other exit we were in a different freakin country.. lol no lie... Another exit, and the most memorable of the 3 or 4 wrong exits we were lost in, was the most GHETTO I have every had the experience of seeing firsthand.. When I say ghetto, I'm saying from the moment we drove into it, I felt a sense of fear mixed with a panic brewing in the pit of my stomach.. saying "we need to get the f*** out of here.."....I mean there were roves of gang looking small groups of people flaggin their set witta bunch of bandanas on and I knew we were in some s*** ...

Let's put it this way, if there was a whiteboy within a 2 mile radius from that exit- in , he was probably a dead white boy.. lolz..

So yea, here we are , in a nice black Beretta GTU with nice rims smack dab in the middle of Menace II Society ... trying to GTFO of dodge ..
    After figuring out where the on ramp was to get back on expressway, we had to get turned around. So we pull into an alley to back up and get goin the other way...And just our luck, the headlights shone into the alley upon what appeared to be a drug deal... About 75 ft or so in front of us, there were 3 or 4 dudes standing around the back of this car messing with something in the trunk.

When they looked up and saw us pull in I saw one of the dudes slam the trunk lid shut and opened up this big brief case on top of it. This mother****** pulled out what appeared to be an UZI.... DAMN LUCKY for us, he was doing this as we were speeding off after having turned around, cause all we heard was the squealing of our tires and the sound of an automatic weapon being discharged in our direction.... We ended up going to michigan ave and walking around downtown, but it was dead. Soo we ended up getting a sandwich and driving back towards home, stopping off at a reststop to sleep a few hours..

So yea, that was the last time I've been to Chicago... haven't been back since..

I know there are parts of Indy that are bad, but they are mr. rogers neighborhood in comparison to what I've seen and heard of Chicago.
    My work takes me to a lot of neighborhoods with high poverty & high crime rates. Chicago has been no different than any other urban area I have worked in and the ethnic make-up up the neighborhood doesn't really change the basic rules either. Common sense, common courtesy and respectful interactions with the people who live there goes a long way.

Not hanging around after dark and keeping your distance from certain obvious activities is good advice but kind of falls into the common sense category.

FWIW the only time I ever just packed it up and called it a day was in what we lovingly called the "whiskey tango" (Generation Kill reference) section of North Omaha and I've spent time working in most of the large Mid-Western cities including Detroit.

Banned

A nice Beretta?

Well if we are telling stories about scary neighborhoods I got to tell you that I got lost in white land few years ago and I thought somebody was going to kill me, people were looking at me like it was the first time they saw a person of color
    Last edited by vnzla81; 04-27-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's not forget Reggie scoring 8 points and breaking their hearts as John Starks looked simply confused. Oh such good memories. The Davis boys, forever legends in Indy.

Since a 2nd rd Pacers-Knicks series is looking pretty inevitable, I think I'll briefly rejoin this forum.

Hard to believe Melo, JR and the collective Methuselah's have looked this good (tomorrow it'll be Melo & the Methuselah's - good of JR to remind me why I don't trust him). Then again it's really been the D against a limited team which is easily defensed. If the schedule works out hopefully I can make one of the Indy games.

BTW, those of you trying to rate Paul George by how he defends Melo are being unfair. Melo's pretty indefensible. You want to be on him but when he's on even that doesn't matter and when he's off you can give him warmup jumpers and he'll clank 'em. The defensive keys will be 1) P/R defense, 2) limiting penetration, esp by Felton and 3) staying on shooters when someone penetrates. IOW, it's all about the rotations.

Looking forward to it. Unfortunately it looks like the series will be when I'm particularly busy and may not see much of it but those are the breaks.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

Wow, this thread really went left field...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

A rimfire sighting.

Welcome back, even if its just for a short time.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This thread is bad karma.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Wowzers.

Indy is underrated and a great city. Everything is very manageable. World class fun town. But best nightlife? What? Go to Broad Ripple, Downtown, Fountain Square or Mass Ave on a weekday and compare that to Chicago or NYC where any given day you can see bands (that don't come to Indy) or packed nightlife. Indy's best areas look like ghost towns a 1 AM on a weekday. And I hate Chicago, but have to go their often to catch shows that aren't coming to Indy. I hate to say it, but there is absolutely no comparison.

As for crime, In cities like NYC and CHI, random crime tends to stay away from certain areas. No such luck in Indy. Look at the paper to see what's been going on in the best nightlife areas JUST THIS WEEK. It's crazy and sad.
    Last edited by billbradley; 04-27-2013 at 02:02 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

billbradley

As for the OP, watching Carmelo and fat Ray Felton, I wouldn't say I'm geeked to play the Knicks. Maybe cautiously optimistic?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

J7F

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hawks game 3 and down 24 at the half.

This thread is bad karma.

It ought to be locked.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Please delete this thread MOD.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Future For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    if this jinx us and we end up losing this series with Atlanta...mods you know what to do :P

...kidding, maybe
    I think is time.

I hate threads like these

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

How do you blame a thread for a ****** performance? A post don't change ****. If Pacers would've won, this thread would've blew up. Regroup and get the W.

Mood

We don't really blame the thread. At least, I suspect most of us don't. It's just a convenient target on which to vent frustration. I absolutely came here to say we should burn this thread to the ground.

Rationally speaking, I know it didn't cause the loss but hey - it's better than snapping at my poor wife. :P
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    How do you blame a thread for a ****** performance? A post don't change ****. If Pacers would've won, this thread would've blew up. Regroup and get the W.
    No. This thread was a bad idea from the start. Nobody likes the guy that starts celebrating the victory at halftime.

God forbid the pacers would have swept Atlanta, would you have started a pacers/spurs finals thread next week?
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-28-2013 at 01:47 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    No, this thread blew up a lot more because the Pacers got curb stomped tonight. Clearly, it is not to blame for the pathetic performance by the team tonight, but it was a stupid ****ing thread from the very start.

Hey Peck & everyone. Who knows - maybe a playoff series (if it happens) will get me hooked on this forum again. Doubtful though - no time and I haven't kept up with the NBA like I used to.

BTW - I'd lost track of where this series was. When I posted yesterday I thought the Pacers were up 3-0. Didn't realize it was otherwise until I saw the score. That's OK, assuming we take care of business it's more time for Chandler and Prigioni to heal up and for someone to grow JR a new brain. What a friggin' idiot.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

been a while, Rimfire.

Understandable

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

DELETE this thread please.... you delete offensive bad comments. Well this thread is offensive and bad.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

I understand a few people are pissed about yesterday but I haven't lost faith that we will beat the Hawks..do you hear Heat fans talking about a jinx to get to the next round? Clipper fans even though they loss just as bad as us? Calm down keep faith in your team.