Thread: Beware of IRS scam

Default Beware of IRS scam

I got the call this morning and it freaked me out the person was Chris Rogers and that he was from the IRS and he was going to freeze my accounts, have me arrested, put a lien etc. Said I owed $10,000 in backtaxes because they did an audit. I thought you had to be notified of an audit. Said that he would transfer me to restitution for a Kevin Peterson also how my license would be revoked etc. If they don't get the $$$ in two hours I would be arrested and its been almost two hours now. I felt it was a scam though especially since I was still able to pay my rent via electronically.

The phone number was 530-208-9631

Anyone else experience this?

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Beware of IRS scam

Apparently quite a few people have experienced this.

http://www.irsmedic.com/2013/09/18/irs-scam-companies/

It's a scam.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also this:

http://the-tax-wars.net/2013/11/25/how-to-avoid-scammers-pretending-to-be-irs/

If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, here’s what you should do:

• If you know you owe taxes or you think you might owe taxes, call the IRS at 800-829-1040. The IRS employees at that line can help you with a payment issue – if there really is such an issue.
    • If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as described above), then call and report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800-366-4484.
    • If you’ve been targeted by this scam, you should also contact the Federal Trade Commission and use their “FTC Complaint Assistant” at FTC.gov. Please add “IRS Telephone Scam” to the comments of your complaint.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got the call this morning and it freaked me out the person was Chris Rogers and that he was from the IRS and he was going to freeze my accounts, have me arrested, put a lien etc. Said I owed $10,000 in backtaxes because they did an audit. I thought you had to be notified of an audit. Said that he would transfer me to restitution for a Kevin Peterson also how my license would be revoked etc. If they don't get the $$$ in two hours I would be arrested and its been almost two hours now. I felt it was a scam though especially since I was still able to pay my rent via electronically.

The phone number was 530-208-9631

Anyone else experience this?
    Obviously a scam. I hope no one falls for this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As someone who writes scam alerts for our companiys clients, I want them to call me muhahahahahahahaha

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The IRS will never call you. Ever. First contact from the IRS is always made by mail.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The IRS will never call you. Ever. First contact from the IRS is always made by mail.
    Not saying I know anything about the IRS (I have had no contact with them, thank the Lord) but the link above said in certain circumstances the IRS may contact you (normally after you get the letter and they try to come in person).

OF course if you were to trace the call if would show up as the IRS call center.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Any time you get a call from an odd number use 800notes.com before answering.

People there share experiences with given numbers, and I've gotten calls from South America and stuff recently. Luckily I checked there and saw it was a scam.