Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Bill Polian can't believe a team would sit starters

Default So Bill Polian can't believe a team would sit starters

This hypocritical d-bag....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ters/#comments

Surprise: Polian can’t believe a team would sit starters

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 18, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT

AP
    Former Bills, Panthers and Colts executive Bill Polian has never been shy with his opinions.

And now that he’s a member of the media being paid to share them, he’s not shy about changing them either.

During a spot with ESPN’s “Mike and Mike” show when they were discussing the Atlanta Hawks’ tanking a game, Polian was asked about the propriety of sitting starters late in seasons.

“You’ve got to try and win every game,” Polian said, via Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star.

Of course, Polian dictated the opposite in 2009, when his Colts pulled starters and lost their last two games after locking up the top seed in the playoffs.

Polian called a perfect season “inconsequential” at the time, saying he wanted his team healthy entering the playoffs. But in the context of a basketball team doing the same thing, his ideas apparently changed.

“It’s a interesting conundrum because you can see both sides of it,” Polian said this week. “On the one hand, they want to set up the best playoff matchup, to go as far as they possibly can. On the other hand . . . at the prices that a professional sport charge these days, at the price that’s charged for luxury boxes and concessions and parking and all of that, it’s really a disservice to the fans, I think, to be in a situation where unless you are absolutely sure that you’d run the risk of injury by playing a player, that you sit him out.

“That’s been a problem for the NBA. It has not been, it never has been a problem in the NFL and that’s simply because job security is so difficult in the NFL. You’ve got to try and win every game.”

Polian has also flip-flopped recently on issues as inconsequential as whether Reggie Bush was good at football or not.

Frankly, it’s sad to see. Polian’s voice has always been one of the most respected in the NFL. But the more he uses it in exchange for money, the more he seems to devalue the words that flow forth.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So Bill Polian can't believe a team would sit starters

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

LMAO. God this guy is full of crap. How can he say that with a straight face when he is responsible for what is without question the most infamous example of a team quitting? Think of all of the people that got those Colts-Jets tickets as expensive Christmas presents in 2009 and who were expecting to see their favorite team try at history.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I would like to see his response to the hypocrisy label. (Which most definitely fits) I wonder if he'd go with seeing the errors of his ways.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I would like to see his response to the hypocrisy label. (Which most definitely fits) I wonder if he'd go with seeing the errors of his ways.

That would require a journalist with the guts to ask him about it. Obviously Greenburg wants to stay on his good side and didn't have the stones to. (If he did and I missed it, then I take that back).

That being said, I actually like Polian on ESPN.

Banned

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That would require a journalist with the guts to ask him about it. Obviously Greenburg wants to stay on his good side and didn't have the stones to. (If he did and I missed it, then I take that back).

That being said, I actually like Polian on ESPN.
    I like him too and I thought the Colts did the right thing resting players and I think most teams in that situation would do the same thing. Polian was a six time executive of the year, he took teams to the Super Bowl 7 times. Indy fans should listen more and not talk as much. It may be a long time before the Colts see the continues success they enjoyed under Polian's tenure....

LMAO. God this guy is full of crap. How can he say that with a straight face when he is responsible for what is without question the most infamous example of a team quitting? Think of all of the people that got those Colts-Jets tickets as expensive Christmas presents in 2009 and who were expecting to see their favorite team try at history.
    The weather was pretty bad that day too I remember it well

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    The weather was pretty bad that day too I remember it well
    Yep, it snowed.

He can go f*** himself.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

God, what a detestable *******.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Hahahaha the stones on this guy...
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is it bad that I am more pissed off at the reporter who didn't refute Polian's BS?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Mood

**** you Polian. I was so pissed when he did that.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Is it bad that I am more pissed off at the reporter who didn't refute Polian's BS?
    No I was more bothered by him too

If message boards and/or media had been calling for the Colts to rest their starters and downplaying the angle of making history with an undefeated season then I have absolutely no doubt Polian would've ordered the coaching staff to play it out and go for the win. He just couldn't bring himself to go along with the prevailing sentiment because he had to be the smartest guy and go against the grain. Plus, he needed to show everyone (including the team that wanted to go for it) that he was boss...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

At times it's hard to believe that there are people out there that are actually this stupid.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was the first game for my father and I, my sister paid big bucks for those ticks too.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yeah kind of weird, but I think it is different in the two sports, one is so much more physical, and the amount of damage a body takes in one game of football is much worst than that for basketball, I think in basketball unless a guy has a nagging injury and a couple of days of rest will help that you don't sit him.

Also I think another point Polian was making is that you never play to lose a game, and that is something that happens in the NBA late in the season to try to give yourself specific playoff matchups, but you never see that in the NFL, well atleast I have never seen it.

Just look at the Colts when they had a chance to lock down the first pick by loosing out, they played hard won a few games.
    Why so SERIOUS

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Bill Polian...obvious troll is obvious....from now on whenever I see him someone better just superimpose the troll face image over his own

I used to be pretty much alone on here calling Bill Polian a whiny egomaniacal d-bag, but now my long-held opinion has become mainstream!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah kind of weird, but I think it is different in the two sports, one is so much more physical, and the amount of damage a body takes in one game of football is much worst than that for basketball, I think in basketball unless a guy has a nagging injury and a couple of days of rest will help that you don't sit him.

Also I think another point Polian was making is that you never play to lose a game, and that is something that happens in the NBA late in the season to try to give yourself specific playoff matchups, but you never see that in the NFL, well atleast I have never seen it.

Just look at the Colts when they had a chance to lock down the first pick by loosing out, they played hard won a few games.
    Are you kidding? The colts tanked the entire season to get Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Are you kidding? The colts tanked the entire season to get Luck.
    I agree. Starting Curtis Painter for 8 straight games is pretty much the definition of tanking. If their objective was winning, then he should have been yanked for Orvlosky after the 62-7 smackdown in New Orleans...or the 27-10 loss in Tennessee...or the 31-7 loss at home against Atlanta......or after the 17-3 loss at home against Jacksonville. They waited all the way to week 12 in Foxboro to start Orlvosky. Had they cared about winning, then they would have at the very least started Dan O. the week before at home against Carolina.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining. It's bad for the integrity of the sport when a team isn't trying to win, but as a fan of the Indianapolis Colts I'm glad that they were a pathetically run show in 2011. Our reward was that one of the best stud prospects ever fell right into our lap, which will put our organization in great shape for the next 13 or so years. I'll take it.

I have no problem with what we did to get Luck. But anyone who doesn't think that the plan was tank and tank as quickly as possible as soon as Peyton was out is kidding themselves.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I have no problem with what we did to get Luck. But anyone who doesn't think that the plan was tank and tank as quickly as possible as soon as Peyton was out is kidding themselves.

I think they initially hoped that Collins could come in and play like he did in 2008 with the Titans, which would have kept the team's record respectable. But he was a washed up scrub who could barely play, so they kept throwing Curtis Painter out there, knowing full well that we weren't going to win any games with Painter. Once we were 0-6/0-7, the number 1 goal was to keep throwing Painter out there so that we could guarantee ourselves the number 1 pick. Then to give the appearance that we cared about winning a little, we threw Dan O. out there at the very end of the season once the number 1 pick was all but sealed up.

See I disagree with you, I think Collins was suppsoed to tank too, but I think they were afraid the team looked too competitive with Kerry under center, but that's just opinion at this point. They tanked plain and simple. They tanked so effectively and in such grand fashion that they were able to win two games late int he season "by trying hard" and still get the number 1 pick.

The NFL encourages you to tank even more than the NBA especially in a draft with a guy like Luck at the top. I'm surprised half the league didn't dump that season.

I don't think the Colts tanked to get Andrew Luck I say this because I think this team lost its identity when Peyton was out he really made that team go. The defense played with a lead when you don't have a lead well... Besides its not as if all those games were blowouts a lot of them were rather close. They just figured run the same thing as if Manning was there and we'd get the same result err no. You adjust accordingly. They never did they also never had a Plan B apparently for this day.

And while Caldwell may be a good offensive coordinator/QB coach he's not much of a head coach. It was a perfect storm I think if Dungy were coach we wouldn't have gotten the #1 pick with Peyton out because he could've made adjustments Caldwell wouldn't.

I also don't think the rest of the team who have incentives and are playing for their careers basically would tank for some rookie that isn't a guarantee.

Would I put it past Polian to do such a thing if he could get away with it? No