Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Book Are You Reading?

Yeah Sanderson made WoT a million times better. The last 3 books were written well and moved faster
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah Sanderson made WoT a million times better. The last 3 books were written well and moved faster
    I hated the last book. Sanderson injected his own character and he didn't really fit. It was just wrong to introduce a character and write so many pages on him.

Did not like the fast pace of the last book. It was too fast. Also, there was a storyline in there about the future that ended up being a complete waste of time. I was baffled as to why that was even in there.

At least Mat stayed Mat. Perrin kinda redeemed himself from books of being a complete emo. Did not like the changes to Egwene's character and *spoilers* her sacrifice was awful and didn't accomplish anything. It was like let's kill some main characters just because.

It felt like it should have been 2 or 3 more books. I get why they made it one, but I really did not like the final book. The ending was alright, nothing great. Just felt like someone checking off items on a list to get as much as they could and answer as much as they could in one final book.

Maybe a little later when I re-read the books my mind will change on the last one, but right now, it was pretty disappointing.

Mistborn is a great series.
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hated the last book. Sanderson injected his own character and he didn't really fit. It was just wrong to introduce a character and write so many pages on him.

Did not like the fast pace of the last book. It was too fast. Also, there was a storyline in there about the future that ended up being a complete waste of time. I was baffled as to why that was even in there.

At least Mat stayed Mat. Perrin kinda redeemed himself from books of being a complete emo. Did not like the changes to Egwene's character and *spoilers* her sacrifice was awful and didn't accomplish anything. It was like let's kill some main characters just because.

It felt like it should have been 2 or 3 more books. I get why they made it one, but I really did not like the final book. The ending was alright, nothing great. Just felt like someone checking off items on a list to get as much as they could and answer as much as they could in one final book.

Maybe a little later when I re-read the books my mind will change on the last one, but right now, it was pretty disappointing.

Mistborn is a great series.
    It was definitely rushed, but there was no way I wanted a longer series. It was already a series that was stretched thin and I think having a book that was all battles was an ok way to end it. Egwene's end was out of left field but of course that might be because Jordan wanted it that way. Jordan left tons of notes about the rest of the series and the WoT editor was his wife, so they had a good idea of how it was supposed to go. Sanderson was there to guide it along. It could have been better I agree. But it was still better than 5-10, which was good enough for me at the time. Plus I'm grateful because it introduced me to Sanderson.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Haven't been reading much in the last year, had been giving me real trouble to read the little font and massive headaches after. Recently went to get my vision checked and as it were I have a mild case of astigmatism. Can't wait to start getting back into reading within the next week or so!
    #LanceEffect

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Kerouac by Brian Hassett

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Almost done with Mistborn Book 1. Loving this series and hoping the next two books are as good.

After that I am probably going to read the first four books of Knausgaard's "My Struggle." As someone who plans on writing their own memoir (never expect it to be published, moreso of something for my relatives to know what their great X grandfather was like) I think it will be helpful, plus I've read excerpts and the writing is excellent.

Then I am thinking about diving into Dune (at least the books that Frank Herbert actually wrote) and some of the lesser known Jack Kerouac, Dharma Bums and then Big Sur. I like to jump around different genres.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bumping the book thread one year later!

I did end up reading the Mistborn series and loved it.

I have thought about reading the Acacia series next when I want to dive in to fantasy.

Right now I am on a sports book kick and am reading "Fab 5" by Mitch Albom. It is pretty enjoyable. Will probably read something of a completely different genre next but eventually want to get to the "Season on the Brink" IU book. As a kid I watched a lot of Big 10 basketball but my family has surprisingly never been big IU or Purdue partisans.

Have also read quite a few Kurt Vonnegut books. Don't agree with all of his politics but do agree generally with his observations on human nature, plus his books can be really quirky and out there in a fun but still intelligent way.