Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What Book Are You Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was tough for me to read. I couldn't stick with it, unfortunately.
    I am a big fan of McCarthy's prose so I'm pretty enthralled. I haven't had much time to read it but this is the first time I've been really into a book since August. I'm enjoying it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just finished the whole Game of Thrones series. Man, it is excellent. Took me 6 months to read, but to be fair I was also working 12 hour days and finishing a graduate thesis.

Now moving on to the Hunger Games trilogy. Never seen any of the movies and know very little about it.

After that, I think I am going to read Dune by Frank Herbert.

I haven't had time to do pleasure reading since I was 17 or so and am loving it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It looks like "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson is free right now on Apple iBooks. It's excellent if you're a fan of epic fantasy stories. It says no DRM, so I think you should be able to move it to any device you would like, though I know nothing about apple's format.

I'm about halfway through my (paid) copy of it right now, and it's excellent.
    Time for a new sig.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

What a miserable best book list. I love it when Stephen King bashes arrogant book critics like those at NYT. Fiction reading should largely be a source of escapism, not reading about some fictional person's very real sounding crappy domestic situation. How depressed would you have to be to read some of those books?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/14/bo...etType=nyt_now

I am currently reading Island by Aldous Huxley. I have read it before and it is one of my favorite books.

I also signed up for a month of Marvel Unlimited and am reading the entire Jonathan Hickman Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity arc. I am about half way through. I am not a huge comic book reader (but will read major arcs from time to time) but I love it. Only problem with comics for me is that they're pretty expensive and the costs really add up, and I'm trying to save for a down payment for a house. Luckily the library here has Scott Snyder's entire Batman arc so I might read that pretty soon.

I am looking for a new sci-fi/fantasy series to read. Other than LOTR and Game of Thrones, what are some good ones?

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I am currently reading Island by Aldous Huxley. I have read it before and it is one of my favorite books.

I also signed up for a month of Marvel Unlimited and am reading the entire Jonathan Hickman Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity arc. I am about half way through. I am not a huge comic book reader (but will read major arcs from time to time) but I love it. Only problem with comics for me is that they're pretty expensive and the costs really add up, and I'm trying to save for a down payment for a house. Luckily the library here has Scott Snyder's entire Batman arc so I might read that pretty soon.

I am looking for a new sci-fi/fantasy series to read. Other than LOTR and Game of Thrones, what are some good ones?
    Depends on what kind of things you like, but I'm a big Brandon Sanderson fan. His writing and world-building are among the best right now. He has a Mistborn series which is a good place to start but his ongoing Stormlight Archive series is stellar. Patrick Rothfuss has a decent series out right now as well.

If you want to get into some good long series, Terry Brooks' Shannara series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time will do that for you. Shannara is at least broken into 3-4 book arcs that can stand on their own, but Wheel of Time is 14 books (it's good at the beginning and end but does drag in the middle).
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm on reddit and I subscribe to some book subreddits. I have a huge list of books now I've added to my Amazon wish list. I recently got a gift card at work, and I used it to buy 3 books off Amazon. This summer is going to be full of reading!

Annihilation (The Southern Reach Trilogy)
    VanderMeer, Jeff

The Black Prism (Lightbringer) --I really enjoyed the Night Trilogy, so wanted to read more by Weeks.
    Weeks, Brent

The Alchemist: A Graphic Novel --This book has been on my list for awhile, so I finally bought it.
    Coelho, Paulo

Really want to read The Martian. Been on my wish list for awhile, and just found out a few weeks ago they are doing a movie on it.

Here are some others on my list. If anyone has read them, please let me know how they were.

The Fire Mages
    by Pauline M. Ross

The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox
    by Barry Hughart, Kaja Foglio

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel
    by Neil Gaiman

Ready Player One
    by Ernest Cline

The Mirror Empire: Worldbreaker Saga 1
    by Kameron Hurley

The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne)
    by Brian Staveley

Infinite Jest
    by David Foster Wallace

The Bone Clocks: A Novel
    by David Mitchell

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, Book 1)
    by Dan Simmons
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne)
    by Brian Staveley
    It's good. It's not something I couldn't put down, but I got through it and The Providence of Fire pretty quickly. I'm sure I'll buy #3 on the release day, if I can remember. I'd recommend it to any fantasy reader. Don't think I'd label it as epic, but definitely falls into the gritty category.

Thanks for the book list though. I read about 100 pages a day, usually more on the weekends, so I've been burning through books pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Since86; 05-26-2015 at 09:52 AM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's good. It's not something I couldn't put down, but I got through it and The Providence of Fire pretty quickly. I'm sure I'll buy #3 on the release day, if I can remember. I'd recommend it to any fantasy reader. Don't think I'd label it as epic, but definitely falls into the gritty category.

Thanks for the book list though. I read about 100 pages a day, usually more on the weekends, so I've been burning through books pretty quickly.
    Great. I'm on hold for any series that hasn't completed. I'm tired of waiting year(s) for the next book. After the Wheel of Time and then the Kingkiller Chronicles (still ongoing and Rothfuss takes years between books), I'm so tired of waiting. And for the Kingkiller Chronicles. It's only a trilogy to get you to the present time. I'd fully expect another trilogy, maybe more books for what happens when the main character is done telling his own backstory. Awesome first 2 books, but hellish wait now.
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Great. I'm on hold for any series that hasn't completed. I'm tired of waiting year(s) for the next book. After the Wheel of Time and then the Kingkiller Chronicles (still ongoing and Rothfuss takes years between books), I'm so tired of waiting. And for the Kingkiller Chronicles. It's only a trilogy to get you to the present time. I'd fully expect another trilogy, maybe more books for what happens when the main character is done telling his own backstory. Awesome first 2 books, but hellish wait now.
    I loved the first book but the second dragged for me a little. But I do enjoy his writing style a lot.

I haven't read Ready Player One but heard it was good. Also like Brent Weeks as well, currently reading through his books
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

The Black Prism (Lightbringer) --I really enjoyed the Night Trilogy, so wanted to read more by Weeks.
    Weeks, Brent
    I've really enjoyed the first two books of this series. I've got a hold out for the third book at the library, but apparently they've lost it . I've heard the third book is a bit of a disappointment and a set-up for the fourth, so I may hold out till the fourth book is published so I can read them back to back.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel
    by Neil Gaiman
    Really good book. Very simple, yet somehow very touching.

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, Book 1)
    by Dan Simmons
    Read these year and years ago and loved them. Can't even remember them now, so I might revisit them myself.

Judging by your list, have your read any of the following:?
    the lies of locke lamora - Scott Lynch
    Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
    Any of the Culture Books - Iain M. Banks
    Newsflesh Trilogy - Mira Grant
    Robopocalypse - Daniel Wilson
    Danger Zone

Undefeated

Judging by what people read on here, I'd recommend Joe Abercrombie if you haven't read any of his books. Also been enjoying Myke Cole. Kind of neat army/magic books.
    Danger Zone

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

I seconded the Joe Abercrombie suggestion. Currently reading "Half a King" right now.

Am I the only one that finds Scott Lynch boring? It took me about 8 different tries to get through Thieves Republic.

And the wait for Stone Door is even worse, when you realize that he had all 3 books written before getting them published. I know there's changes to make, but goodness it's been 5 years since WMF.
    EDIT: And I don't know what it costs in paperback, but I refuse to pay $10.00 for 90pages of Slow Regard of Silent Things.
    Last edited by Since86; 05-26-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    I've really enjoyed the first two books of this series. I've got a hold out for the third book at the library, but apparently they've lost it . I've heard the third book is a bit of a disappointment and a set-up for the fourth, so I may hold out till the fourth book is published so I can read them back to back.

Really good book. Very simple, yet somehow very touching.

Read these year and years ago and loved them. Can't even remember them now, so I might revisit them myself.

Judging by your list, have your read any of the following:?
    the lies of locke lamora - Scott Lynch
    Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
    Any of the Culture Books - Iain M. Banks
    Newsflesh Trilogy - Mira Grant
    Robopocalypse - Daniel Wilson
    Name of the Wind is awesome (also known as the Kingkiller Chronicles). Haven't read any of the others. Always adding to my list. Just hope I get to read through them all at some point.

Joe Abercrombie...that name sounds so familiar. I've probably been recommended a book by him before. I'll add him to my list.

Other books I've read that I definitely recommend:
    Wheel of Time (sadly the last book was a big letdown...probably should have been 2 or 3 more books, but I get why it was 1)
    Mistborn trilogy (would love to see this made into a movie. I like Sanderson's writing style. While the book themselves are up and down, his fight sequences are just greatly detailed and fun to read.)
    Night Trilogy

Legend of Huma (Dragonlance series) and The Belgariad are what really got me into reading as a teen. While they haven't held up to time for me (especially Dragonlance books), they will always have a special place in my heart.

Sports Logo

I seconded the Joe Abercrombie suggestion. Currently reading "Half a King" right now.

Am I the only one that finds Scott Lynch boring? It took me about 8 different tries to get through Thieves Republic.

And the wait for Stone Door is even worse, when you realize that he had all 3 books written before getting them published. I know there's changes to make, but goodness it's been 5 years since WMF.
    EDIT: And I don't know what it costs in paperback, but I refuse to pay $10.00 for 90pages of Slow Regard of Silent Things.
    Slow Regard of Silent Things - only about 15 pages in and it hasn't captivated me yet.

I read a couple of the Shanarra books and really didn't enjoy those. The Sword and Elfstones...no likely

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    Judging by what people read on here, I'd recommend Joe Abercrombie if you haven't read any of his books. Also been enjoying Myke Cole. Kind of neat army/magic books.
    Liked Joe Abercrombie. Also really recommend The Black Company if you like military fantasy, it's really good.

While I like Rothfuss, Slow Regard for Silent Things isn't worth your time. Snoozefest.

For those of you who are into fantasy, I very strongly recommend Brandon Sanderson and Guy Gabriel Kay. They're my 2 favorites besides Rothfuss.

Also, the Chronicles of the I'm hewn Throne series by Brian Stavely is excellent, but only 2 of the 3 books have been published so far.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is utterly brilliant. But there's only 2 books out of a 10 book series so there's going to be a bit of a wait

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is utterly brilliant. But there's only 2 books out of a 10 book series so there's going to be a bit of a wait
    Which is why I won't start it for awhile. Man, I keep hearing great things about it too.

Sports Logo

So I bought The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and just realized once I had it in my hands that it's a Graphic Novel. Someone took a book and made a graphic novel out of it, like it was a comic book.

Is this a thing? I've never heard of a book being made into a graphic novel.

Gonna return it. Just not what I wanted at all.

It's really kind of bigger than that. Stormlight, Mistorn, Wayne & Wax, Warbreaker, Elantris, Emperor's Soul are all set in the same world at different eras and they each has an appearance by one character, obviously called different names.
    Last edited by Since86; 05-28-2015 at 09:11 AM.

It's really kind of bigger than that. Stormlight, Mistorn, Wayne & Wax, Warbreaker, Elantris, Emperor's Soul are all set in the same world at different eras and they each has an appearance by one character, obviously called different names.
    This is true, which makes reading all his books a lot of fun. But you don't have to get into that level of detail to enjoy his individual series or books

So I bought The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and just realized once I had it in my hands that it's a Graphic Novel. Someone took a book and made a graphic novel out of it, like it was a comic book.

Is this a thing? I've never heard of a book being made into a graphic novel.

Gonna return it. Just not what I wanted at all.
    It is becoming increasingly common. There is a Game of Thrones graphic novel. I am sort of a "casual" comic book fan but have been told by others who are more into comics that it isn't very good. They're also doing a graphic novel adaptation of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

As a fan of comics I am generally not into this. To me certain stories work well as books and others work well as comics.

Depends on what kind of things you like, but I'm a big Brandon Sanderson fan. His writing and world-building are among the best right now. He has a Mistborn series which is a good place to start but his ongoing Stormlight Archive series is stellar. Patrick Rothfuss has a decent series out right now as well.

If you want to get into some good long series, Terry Brooks' Shannara series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time will do that for you. Shannara is at least broken into 3-4 book arcs that can stand on their own, but Wheel of Time is 14 books (it's good at the beginning and end but does drag in the middle).
    Thanks for your help. I am going to start the Mistborn trilogy this weekend.

I have been thinking about reading Wheel of Time for awhile but 14 books seems like a harrowing commitment. I generally only have time to read like 50 pages a day, maybe 100 on the weekend days.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Just recently got through WoT. I was a little disappointed from it. I ended up skipping entire chapters from certain character POV's (mainly Egwene). It probably should have been more like 16-17 books, and it's really noticeable when Sanderson picks up the writing. Instantly gets better.