Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Book Are You Reading?

The one positive about pumping the brakes on GOT to buy Martin time to write is that I really do think there is a ton of material they'll need to spend a lot of time building in the series, where the books kind of go through it quickly and work better on re-reads...

I think fans honestly underestimate how much time it could take to build out some of the arcs that start to build across AFFC, ADWD, etc for a TV audience.

(SPOILERS BELOW, sorry not just how to tag)

1. Pretty much everything with the Greyjoys and the Kingsmoot.

2. The Golden Company, Aegon, Griff, and the thousand things I don't even remember about the Blackfyres, all that stuff.

3. All of the Dany Mereen/Sons of the Harpy/names I could never remember drama.

4. Stoneheart, if they go anywhere with that. Hard to say right now.

5. Pretty much anything with Ramsay and the Night's Watch, fake Arya, Theon's redemption arc. And Frey pies of course.

6. Real Arya and Braavos.

7. The Sand Snakes...

8. Reintroduction of Myrcella, Darkstar, etc.

etc.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Titanic: The Ship Magnificent

In the last couple weeks I've read all of Robin Hobb's books from her Realm of Elderlings series: Farseer trilogy, Liveship Traders trilogy, Tawny Man trilogy, RainWilds Trilogy. The first book of the next trilogy, Fitz and the Fool, comes out August.

Starting the Mistborn trilogy to have something to read until then. I'm kinda picky about what books I start, but once I start them I binge read until I'm done. Any other good series to bite into would be appreciated. So far, DragonLance series and Wheel of Time are on my shortlist.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Wheel of Time shouldn't be on any "short" list. It's 14 books, 14 long books. Though I enjoyed much of it, the middle drags for sure.

I fully endorse Mistborn, as well as Sanderson's other one books, Warbreaker, Alloy of Law (which you should read after Mistborn). His new series is also very good

Another recommendation is Glen Cook's Black Company
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Just finished the Mistborn series. A little unexpected ending. Started right into Alloy of Law, but I don't know about this one. Kinda starting out pretty corny.

Hopefully Sanderson follows through with the prequel idea about Kelsier's story.
    Last edited by Since86; 07-23-2014 at 12:06 PM.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am finishing up Bill Simmons the Book of Basketball. While there is entirely too much Boston bias I do find it to be informative and interesting. It is a good read if you enjoy the NBA and have time.

I started Under the Dome by Stephen King. I saw one episode of the show and want to read the book before going back to it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am thinking about starting the Game of Thrones series since I have been watching the show.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am thinking about starting the Game of Thrones series since I have been watching the show.
    Books are much, much better but they're really long books.

Sanderson's books have been really good, but his endings are a bit flat IMHO. Alloy of Law was okay, Warbreaker was excellent up until the very end.
    Last edited by Since86; 07-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.

I just finished Under the Dome, almost exactly 4 days to hour I started it. Getting through 1074 pages in that time means I was really into it. I won't say I enjoyed it, for there were some parts I didn't want to read, but one of the great things about King's writing is he is not afraid to "keep it real." As I stated before, I have only seen one episode of the t.v. show, but I know it is not like the book at all, other than the obvious plot devise of the dome. If HBO or such had been the outlet then the book could have been recreated as is, but I doubt you can sell that story to the networks and get away with it.

I will try to catch up on the show from the beginning to see how it is the same and how it is different. The book has a list of characters at the beginning, so I cross-referenced this with the show's cast list. This was another thing which showed me how the two differ as well.

On a side note, earlier this year I read "the Sleep Doctor" by King. It picks up the Shinning story after the boy in the story grows up. The book's story not the movie. It was pretty good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I just finished Under the Dome, almost exactly 4 days to hour I started it. Getting through 1074 pages in that time means I was really into it. I won't say I enjoyed it, for there were some parts I didn't want to read, but one of the great things about King's writing is he is not afraid to "keep it real." As I stated before, I have only seen one episode of the t.v. show, but I know it is not like the book at all, other than the obvious plot devise of the dome. If HBO or such had been the outlet then the book could have been recreated as is, but I doubt you can sell that story to the networks and get away with it.

I will try to catch up on the show from the beginning to see how it is the same and how it is different. The book has a list of characters at the beginning, so I cross-referenced this with the show's cast list. This was another thing which showed me how the two differ as well.

On a side note, earlier this year I read "the Sleep Doctor" by King. It picks up the Shinning story after the boy in the story grows up. The book's story not the movie. It was pretty good as well.
    I LOVE Under the Dome. Don't think I've ever got through 1,000 pages so fast.

Last year on vacation I read The Stand. Loved it and devoured that one too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I really enjoy the books but they are long. I am halfway through a Storm of Swords.

There are 5 books right now, 4 of them are around 800 pages and then A Storm of Swords, the third book, is around 1200, so its a lot of reading.

I like the books but a lot of the action is sometimes concentrated to the end, in early-middle parts of the books often deal with political dealings among/between the Starks, Lannisters, Tullys, Freys etc., or long journeys without a lot of action which is fairly interesting to me but it does drag a bit sometimes. I have not gotten to the "big event" that I think will happen midway through the third book though (don't spoil it for me).

Now I am only halfway through the third book so I am sure this pays off, but it kind of irritates me how the Daenerys story act is largely divorced from the rest of the characters. It is interesting though, in that it takes place in a completely different part of Martin's world that is very unique from Westeros, but it is easy to lose track of it.

Of all the characters I enjoy Jon and Tyrion the most, but they are all interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I am finishing up Bill Simmons the Book of Basketball. While there is entirely too much Boston bias I do find it to be informative and interesting. It is a good read if you enjoy the NBA and have time.
    I have been thinking about reading it, how much of it is Simmons putting himself over as the biggest and best NBA fan ever? Simmons has a great knowledge base but his ego is just off the charts. I read some of his excellent Grantland staff writers, but even that site is littered by self-indulgent Simmons articles. Why does Simmons think anyone wants his views on romantic comedies? How did Simmons establish himself as any kind of pop culture authority? The whole thing is just weird.

I can't read lol

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I have been thinking about reading it, how much of it is Simmons putting himself over as the biggest and best NBA fan ever? Simmons has a great knowledge base but his ego is just off the charts. I read some of his excellent Grantland staff writers, but even that site is littered by self-indulgent Simmons articles. Why does Simmons think anyone wants his views on romantic comedies? How did Simmons establish himself as any kind of pop culture authority? The whole thing is just weird.
    Eh, the pop culture and movie references are abundant, that is for sure. Being that I am far from a movie buff those analogies are lost on me for the most part. Every one in a while though his comparisons leave me in tears.

If Bill Simmons homerism drives you nuts I would certainly avoid the book. My favorite parts of the book is that he really puts eras and players into perspective. His stories about guys like Mikan, and Petit are interesting, as are his critiques of Magic Johnson.

I certainly don't agree with everything he writes in his book, but if nothing else it is great food for thought.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Yes the Stand was a good one. for a while I thought the fire in Dome was going to be because of someone like the guy in Stand who liked to burn things. As in most of his work, the cause of the drama is less important than how the people handle the situations. The relationship/personal drama never translates well to t.v. or movies because you can't get inside the characters' heads.

I have no desire to go into current events here, but the politics in Under The Dome reflects what can easily happen when people are manipulated by those they trust, not to mention those they do not know exist. I saw the tv episode where the political leader was "redeemed" and knew the two were pretty much a like in name only. I do want to watch it though.

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Finished Fool's Assassin (first book of the third trilogy in the Fitz/Fool series from Robin Hobb) last week, and the Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen's *******s series) 2 weeks ago. Started Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentlemen's *******s book 2) but put it down about 100 pages in. Just started Way of Kings (Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Series).

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Just finsished....One Second After. So realistic and believable it actually disturbed my sleep.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Finished the Riyria Chronicles series and Riyria Revelations (Michael J Sullivan) series last week. 8 total books, but less than 300 pages each so it was pretty quick reading. The writing wasn't nearly as good as Sanderson/Rothfuss, but definitely recommend them. For example, his important scences, which would stretch a few pages if written by Sanderson/Rothfuss/GRRM/Hobb, is only a few paragraphs. The other authors do such a great job at world building, it's hard to judge authors like Sullivan.

Ended up finishing Red Seas Under Red Skies about a month ago. Didn't like the ending. Started the Republic of Theives but just couldn't get interested. Probably pick it back up when I'm struggling to find something else. (starting to sense a theme with Scott Lynch books)

Sanderson's Stormlight Archieve is fantastic. Way of Kings and then Words of Radiance are both top notch stuff. I've really enjoyed all of his books, but this series is the best so far, IMHO. This is supposed to be a 10 book series, and each book is about 1000pages long. Brandon is currently working on three different series (Reckoners, Legion, Stormlight Archieve, and supposed to be working on Wayne and Wax series, which is the followup to Mistborn, somewhere in there) all at the same time, so fingers crossed the time between books doesn't drag on too long. I'm sure I'll get to Steelheart and Firefight (Reckoners) but they're more geared to young adults, and they're more science-fiction, so they don't really grab my attention.

About 200 pages in to Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. He's not the best writer, like Sullivan, but the story arc is pretty good so far.

My gf can't wait until the Pacers are back full time, so I'll put down my books (phone) and pay more attention to her.

Just started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Finished the Riyria Chronicles series and Riyria Revelations (Michael J Sullivan) series last week. 8 total books, but less than 300 pages each so it was pretty quick reading. The writing wasn't nearly as good as Sanderson/Rothfuss, but definitely recommend them. For example, his important scences, which would stretch a few pages if written by Sanderson/Rothfuss/GRRM/Hobb, is only a few paragraphs. The other authors do such a great job at world building, it's hard to judge authors like Sullivan.

Ended up finishing Red Seas Under Red Skies about a month ago. Didn't like the ending. Started the Republic of Theives but just couldn't get interested. Probably pick it back up when I'm struggling to find something else. (starting to sense a theme with Scott Lynch books)

Sanderson's Stormlight Archieve is fantastic. Way of Kings and then Words of Radiance are both top notch stuff. I've really enjoyed all of his books, but this series is the best so far, IMHO. This is supposed to be a 10 book series, and each book is about 1000pages long. Brandon is currently working on three different series (Reckoners, Legion, Stormlight Archieve, and supposed to be working on Wayne and Wax series, which is the followup to Mistborn, somewhere in there) all at the same time, so fingers crossed the time between books doesn't drag on too long. I'm sure I'll get to Steelheart and Firefight (Reckoners) but they're more geared to young adults, and they're more science-fiction, so they don't really grab my attention.

About 200 pages in to Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. He's not the best writer, like Sullivan, but the story arc is pretty good so far.

My gf can't wait until the Pacers are back full time, so I'll put down my books (phone) and pay more attention to her.
    WHAT!?!?!??! YOU PAY MORE ATTENTION TO HER THAN THE PACERS?????? shameful
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Just started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.
    That was tough for me to read. I couldn't stick with it, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    WHAT!?!?!??! YOU PAY MORE ATTENTION TO HER THAN THE PACERS?????? shameful
    Nah, I can just fake listening to her a lot better watching TV than reading.