Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Default What Book Are You Reading?

Figured if we have a thread for tv shows, movies, music, video games, anime, etc, why not one for books.

I love to read as much as I enjoy all the other stuff. I mainly stick with science fiction, but not afraid to branch out if something is worthwhile.

Currently reading Ender's Game. I'm 3/4 of the way through the first book in the series, so far, pretty intriguing. I think it's pretty laughable what they put these kids through, especially the main character.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Default Re: What Book Are You Reading?

I'm usually just reading things online, but I'm also trying to inch my way through the first book (Game of Thrones) in the Song of Ice and Fire set. I'm only about 170 pages in.

In the comics arena, I've not read any in a long while, but I decided to buy the Walking Dead compendium and am also gradually going through that as well.

Currently reading book 4 of Song of Ice and Fire, and book 1 of the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Also in the middle of complete sherlock holmes
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Currently reading book 4 of Song of Ice and Fire, and book 1 of the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Also in the middle of complete sherlock holmes
    Mistborn trilogy is pretty damn good.

I am a pretty fast reader, but it took me nearly a year to get through Song of Ice and Fire. Just didn't care for it. The tv series is awesome though. I'll give the books another whirl once the series has been completed.

How Martin even said how many more books till it's finished?

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are supposed to be 7 in the series, and 5 have been published. Book 6 and 7 will have something like 1500+ pages each, and he said he's only about 400 pages into book 6 as of Oct of 2012. 500 pages is the estimate of what will get done each year, so I don't think another book will/should be expected until mid 2015. If the current pace is followed, book 7 won't be done until 2019.

He addressed the pace relative to the TV show, and said that each book will be broken down to cover multiple seasons. I'm still not all that sure how they'll achieve all that, without him speeding up the process.

I'm currently re-reading book 3.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    There are supposed to be 7 in the series, and 5 have been published. Book 6 and 7 will have something like 1500+ pages each, and he said he's only about 400 pages into book 6 as of Oct of 2012. 500 pages is the estimate of what will get done each year, so I don't think another book will/should be expected until mid 2015. If the current pace is followed, book 7 won't be done until 2019.

He addressed the pace relative to the TV show, and said that each book will be broken down to cover multiple seasons. I'm still not all that sure how they'll achieve all that, without him speeding up the process.

I'm currently re-reading book 3.
    I thought I read that the TV show's Season 3 and 4 would cover the 3rd book. So presumably Seasons 5 and 6 could be covering book 4.

At that pace, Season 6 would air in April/May of 2016. Then if Seasons 7 and 8 cover book 5, Season 8 would air April/May 2018. Surely he'll at least have finished book 6 by then? If not, maybe they'd simply delay Season 9 until it's ready.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just started The Two Towers by JR Tolkein.

I love anything with fantasy be it Dragonlance, Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. I ran through the Hobbit and The Fellowmen of the Ring after finally getting to see the Hobbit movie.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Just started The Two Towers by JR Tolkein.

I love anything with fantasy be it Dragonlance, Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. I ran through the Hobbit and The Fellowmen of the Ring after finally getting to see the Hobbit movie.
    Legend of Huma was one of my favs growing up. Still have quite a few DragonLance. They lost me with the new age though.

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Legend of Huma was one of my favs growing up. Still have quite a few DragonLance. They lost me with the new age though.
    The Legend of Huma is what got me hooked on it as well and then went onto the Dragonlance Chronicles. The new age stuff lost me as well and I just went back and started read other trilogies like Eleven Nations. I just wish I could find them on my iPad because I just hate buying paper books now. Though I do have the Kindle app on there so I am sure they are on Amazon.

I just wish I could some home get the eversions for all my books and get rid of all that paper.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I thought I read that the TV show's Season 3 and 4 would cover the 3rd book. So presumably Seasons 5 and 6 could be covering book 4.
    The events of books 4 and 5 take place somewhat concurrently, so it would be either two seasons for the two books (weaving the different stories together) or maybe three seasons for the two books considering the length of A Dance with Dragons.

Reading The Dark Knight Returns. It's fun but kind of dumb, kind of exactly how I thought Miller would be having only watched the movies. TDKR is the only graphic I've read besides Watchmen. I'm wondering if I should just leave the graphics alone and just re-read Watchmen again.

Finished book 2 in the Ender series. It went downhill fast. I don't even want to read the 3rd. Nor do I want to read the Shadow of Ender series.

I definitely need some suggestion. I really love the Mistborn trilogy, Wheel of time series, The Belgariad. Didn't really care for Song of Ice and Fire book 1. I'll try that series again once it's completed.

Any suggestions on a book series that's already completed?

Should I try Dune? Loved the original movie.

There are some cheap ebooks on Amazon. I'll post them later and see if anyone has given them a glance.

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is frigging great if you like graphic novels: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Paths-Da...ths+by+david+b
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Wool omnibus by Hugh Howey.
    Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Finished book 2 in the Ender series. It went downhill fast. I don't even want to read the 3rd. Nor do I want to read the Shadow of Ender series.

I definitely need some suggestion. I really love the Mistborn trilogy, Wheel of time series, The Belgariad. Didn't really care for Song of Ice and Fire book 1. I'll try that series again once it's completed.

Any suggestions on a book series that's already completed?

Should I try Dune? Loved the original movie.

There are some cheap ebooks on Amazon. I'll post them later and see if anyone has given them a glance.
    Yes! Read Dune and love it. Amazing books, read them all. IMO It is far superior to any of the other fantasy series you mentioned, I've read all of those too. The movie is wonderful, but mainly because of David Lynch, the books are better.

Anyone read the Kingkiller series by Patrick Rothfuss? His books have gotten great reviews and I think I'll check it out, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any opinions
    Last edited by Suaveness; 10-28-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

House Of Thunder by Dean Koontz. Probably my third time reading it. After this I might go back to Bag Of Bones by Stephen King.

Mood

Technically I'm not reading them at all, but I've been working through the Song of Ice and Fire books using my audible.com account. I'm about 80% through a Storm of Swords now and I'm just starting to learn things that haven't happened yet in the show. I'm already looking forward to season 4 more than I was.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only book I regularly read anymore is the bible. I want something fantasy though, thought about Harry Potter but decided against it.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Just started "house of leaves". I've heard from about five different friends of mine that this was the weirdest scariest book and two of them weren't even able to finish so I figure i'll give it a go and get back with my thoughts once I finish it.

Going to start the Forever War today. Been meaning to get to some good book reading.

Now really free Lance!

I'm about to read both Stephen C. Meyer's Darwin's Doubt: The Explosive Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design, and Thomas Nagel's Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature Is Almost Certainly False. Both have been heavily praised by all except the usual suspects (the 19th-century-minded dogmatists), but especially Meyer's book, which has been called a landmark. In my opinion, Meyer's previous book, Signature in the Cell, was a masterpiece, so I'm hoping this one is, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Just started "house of leaves". I've heard from about five different friends of mine that this was the weirdest scariest book and two of them weren't even able to finish so I figure i'll give it a go and get back with my thoughts once I finish it.
    If you "get it" please explain it because I had no luck...

Mood

I finished A Storm of Swords this evening. Holy crap. No wonder they split this book into two seasons. Stunned by the epilogue. No spoilers, but just sayin'. Will get into Feast for Crows this week. Don't want to know anything.