Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple Explosions at Boston Marathon

Default Re: Multiple Explosions at Boston Marathon

...Better than automatically overlooking the Saudi National for fear of profiling. Plus, who says that is the only thing that makes him a suspect? ...if he even exists at all... And don't forget he could be more person of interest rather than suspect.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm just going by what the NY Post reports. Their headline is, after all, "Authorities ID suspect as Saudi national in marathon bombings, under guard at Boston hospital."

Anyway, the NY Post is reporting 12 dead when other news outlets are reporting 2, so I'm inclined to think the Post is full of ****.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who's to say the fact that he's Saudi is the only reason for suspicion, or if it's a reason at all? Rather absurd assumption, Pingu.

Anyway, I'm almost positive I heard one of the speakers during the press conference mention multiple fatalities at each of the two bombing locations, so my guess is the number of casualties is at least double the two that's been reported most of the day.

CBS News senior correspondent John Miller said there is “an individual in custody,” a Saudi national who was near the scene of the blast.

Miller said a civilian claims the person was acting suspiciously and chased him down and tackled him after the explosions.

The man is said to be cooperating with investigators and denies any involvement.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/04/1...n-finish-line/

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world.” — Mister Rogers

- Emergency techs and bystanders ran toward the injured seconds after the blast. (A small silver lining is that there was already a line of ambulances and scores of medical personnel on-site to handle runners.)
    - People can be seen jumping in to pull down the barricades to allow access to the injured.
    - CNN reported that residents came out of their homes in the confused aftermath to offer drinks, bananas, and blankets to runners temporarily left stranded or unable to hook up with family or friends.
    - As mentioned here, runners crossing the finish line continued running directly to Mass General to give blood.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

CNN just said a 8 year old boy was one of the individuals killed.

It will be interesting to hear where the blame goes for this- You have the Boston Marathon on Patriot Day... and you have April 15th AKA Tax day.

So you have potential earmarks of homegrown terrorists protesting taxes (or tax rates, income redistribution, government, etc) Symbolism.... But then you have the kind of things Jihadists look for as well... Symbolism...

------

-John Wooden

https://twitter.com/BCSSODMG/status/...498115/photo/1

R.I.P. to the 8 year-old girl who died in Boston's explosions, while running for the Sandy Hook kids. #prayforboston pic.twitter.com/mpCgly3lbZ

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

R.I.P. to the 8 year-old girl who died in Boston's explosions, while running for the Sandy Hook kids. #prayforboston pic.twitter.com/mpCgly3lbZ
    That is absolutely heartbreaking.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world.” — Mister Rogers

- Emergency techs and bystanders ran toward the injured seconds after the blast. (A small silver lining is that there was already a line of ambulances and scores of medical personnel on-site to handle runners.)
    - People can be seen jumping in to pull down the barricades to allow access to the injured.
    - CNN reported that residents came out of their homes in the confused aftermath to offer drinks, bananas, and blankets to runners temporarily left stranded or unable to hook up with family or friends.
    - As mentioned here, runners crossing the finish line continued running directly to Mass General to give blood.
    going along with this post, former Patriots guard Joe Andruzzi was right near the explosion today. He jumped into the action:
    http://deadspin.com/former-patriots-...plos-473063870

If this is a foreign enemy, as a member of the US Navy and kind of a member of the marine corps (US Navy corpsmen are the combat medics for the marine corps) I would like to say, we would love to come over and visit.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It will be interesting to hear where the blame goes for this- You have the Boston Marathon on Patriot Day... and you have April 15th AKA Tax day.

So you have potential earmarks of homegrown terrorists protesting taxes (or tax rates, income redistribution, government, etc) Symbolism.... But then you have the kind of things Jihadists look for as well... Symbolism...
    The marathon was honoring Newtown families. Thus there was a very strong gun control message that some sicko may not have liked. It's probably a less likely scenario than the Jihadist hypothesis, but there are enough Tim McVeigh level wackos out there to prevent such a scenario from bring easily dismissed.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    going along with this post, former Patriots guard Joe Andruzzi was right near the explosion today. He jumped into the action:
    http://deadspin.com/former-patriots-...plos-473063870
    He carried victims to medical facilities.

You may recall, he has 2 brothers that were 9/11 firefighters in NYC.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    The marathon was honoring Newtown families. Thus there was a very strong gun control message that some sicko may not have liked. It's probably a less likely scenario than the Jihadist hypothesis, but there are enough Tim McVeigh level wackos out there to prevent such a scenario from bring easily dismissed.
    Seeing as the explosions went off in between where guests from Newtown were sitting. Gun extremist is my guess. (Particularly considering CT is in the process of making their gun laws stricter and Boston/CT/NY tend to copycat each other when it comes to laws. This could completely be a local/regional strike.)

I don't think the Boston Marathon is a big enough deal for international terrorists groups to even recognize.

BREAKING: Federal Agents Raid 5th Floor Apartment in Revere, MA

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...-in-revere-ma/

maybe there's some good leads already

Is this true? I thought it was an 8 year old boy? Tragic regardless. Unless they changed their rules for special circumstance I'm pretty sure she wasn't running in the race. I haven't raced in a while but Boston always had very strict qualifying times for each age group. Very different from say the Indy Mini Marathon which has a ton of slow runners and walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Seeing as the explosions went off in between where guests from Newtown were sitting. Gun extremist is my guess. (Particularly considering CT is in the process of making their gun laws stricter and Boston/CT/NY tend to copycat each other when it comes to laws. This could completely be a local/regional strike.)

I don't think the Boston Marathon is a big enough deal for international terrorists groups to even recognize.
    What? It's an international event and one of the biggest most famous races in the world. Boston Marathon is as American as say the Kentucky Derby or the Indy 500.
    Last edited by presto123; 04-16-2013 at 12:05 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    What? It's an international event and one of the biggest most famous races in the world. Boston Marathon is as American as say the Kentucky Derby or the Indy 500.
    The last mile was run in honor of the sandy hook kids, and they were right in the middle of the two explosions. There may actually be some legs to that theory.

It may be some wacko's way of saying "take away my guns and I can still kill people."

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Some of you may have seen some truly grisly pictures from this, you might have seen one of a man with his legs literally blown off at the knees. There was a guy in a cowboy hat running along side the man while he was pushed in a wheelchair literally pinching off the man's loose arteries trying to save his life. The guy in the cowboy hat's name is Carlos Arrendondo and he's a damn hero.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Very informative AMA by one of the volunteers on site: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ine_volunteer/.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

It's like Anne Frank said, "Despite everything, I believe people are really good at heart."

Sports Logo

My heart is with the American people and particularly with the citizens of Boston. I hope they find whoever did this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

within the same line of thinking as the Mr. Rogers quote earlier. I always liked this quote by Jon Stewart from the daily show, when some horribly tragic event occurs.

"The reason I don’t worry about society is, 19 people knocked down two buildings and killed thousands. Hundreds of people ran into those buildings to save them. I’ll take those odds every *****ing day" -Jon Stewart-

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is this actually true? I haven't seen anywhere reporting this.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods