Thread: Elway to Marino 30 for 30 documentary to air on April 23rd

Default Elway to Marino 30 for 30 documentary to air on April 23rd

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Elway to Marino 30 for 30 documentary to air on April 23rd

This should be a good documentary. I have no respect for what John Elway did to Baltimore (which a year later became Indy), or what Eli did 21 years later to San Diego. It's extremely arrogant for guys who haven't ever played a game to essentially flip the middle finger to the NFL draft process by refusing to play in a certain place. Archie and Eli came across as whinny and entitled after that charade (and I'm a big fan of Eli the NFL player, btw).

This is why I will always have the utmost respect for Peyton. Unlike his little brother, Peyton relished the opportunity to turn a dormant franchise into an elite one. The Colts were a joke for most of their Indy years before Peyton came, aside from the 95 run, but Peyton knew it would be great for his legacy if he turned a losing franchise into a winner. That's so much more respectable than telling the Chargers not to draft you and then demanding a trade to the NY Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This should be a good documentary. I have no respect for what John Elway did to Baltimore (which a year later became Indy), or what Eli did 21 years later to San Diego. It's extremely arrogant for guys who haven't ever played a game to essentially flip the middle finger to the NFL draft process by refusing to play in a certain place. Archie and Eli came across as whinny and entitled after that charade (and I'm a big fan of Eli the NFL player, btw).

This is why I will always have the utmost respect for Peyton. Unlike his little brother, Peyton relished the opportunity to turn a dormant franchise into an elite one. The Colts were a joke for most of their Indy years before Peyton came, aside from the 95 run, but Peyton knew it would be great for his legacy if he turned a losing franchise into a winner. That's so much more respectable than telling the Chargers not to draft you and then demanding a trade to the NY Giants.

Its all relative(pardon the pun) I mean these same teams that draft you end up telling you to get lost the moment you are no longer useful and its within their rights to do so. I guess when it comes to one's livelihood I have no issue with that. Besides even if we got Elway we wouldn't have gotten Peyton and then later on Luck.

Elway and Eli got the last laugh they got multiple SB rings so who's the real winner here?

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Its all relative(pardon the pun) I mean these same teams that draft you end up telling you to get lost the moment you are no longer useful and its within their rights to do so. I guess when it comes to one's livelihood I have no issue with that. Besides even if we got Elway we wouldn't have gotten Peyton and then later on Luck.

Elway and Eli got the last laugh they got multiple SB rings so who's the real winner here?
    Obviously Eli and Elway each personally gained. Eli went to an organization that had already won a couple of Super Bowls and had a long tradition of success. The rich got richer.

I care about what's good for the league as a whole. The draft is setup so that the worse teams have the first pick at the best players. When one of those players balk at going to one of those bad teams, then it's bad for what the league is trying to achieve. Obviously Eli and Elway were within their rights to do so because they succeeded in getting what they wanted. I'm just saying that I personally have no respect for it. Peyton going bottom tier (at the time) Colts organization and turning it into an elite place is far more respectful than Eli demanding a trade to a franchise that had already been successful for a long time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Obviously Eli and Elway each personally gained. Eli went to an organization that had already won a couple of Super Bowls and had a long tradition of success. The rich got richer.

I care about what's good for the league as a whole. The draft is setup so that the worse teams have the first pick at the best players. When one of those players balk at going to one of those bad teams, then it's bad for what the league is trying to achieve. Obviously Eli and Elway were within their rights to do so because they succeeded in getting what they wanted. I'm just saying that I personally have no respect for it. Peyton going bottom tier (at the time) Colts organization and turning it into an elite place is far more respectful than Eli demanding a trade to a franchise that had already been successful for a long time.
    But weren't the Giants bad at that point? I mean they had a decent reputation but beyond that 1 SB appearance in 2001 they didn't do a whole lot since 1990(the last SB win at the time) people seem to forget the Giants were drafting in the top 10 at that point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

^^ NY was more glamorous though?

I tend to agree with Sollozo here. Let's not forget that both of them, by doing so, set a precedent that could be dangerous or even detrimental for the league's principles.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    ^^ NY was more glamorous though?

I tend to agree with Sollozo here. Let's not forget that both of them, by doing so, set a precedent that could be dangerous or even detrimental for the league's principles.

Well since its only happened what twice in NFL history I think they're just fine.

Besides its a good thing Eli succeeded in NY because had he not it would've been disastrous for him.

Did anyone watch this?

Some interesting stuff

Dallas offered more for Elway than Denver did

Elway found out about being traded from the Colts to Denver when he was watching All My Children with his friends

Montana almost was a Colt

Jim Kelly didn't want to originally play with the Bills

Strange stuff...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two things we shouldn't forget.

1. A lot, and I mean a LOT of NFL people thought Eli was better than Peyton was coming out of college, so saying he had no clout or no reason to make any demands is not quite true.
    2. Part of the design of Eli avoiding the Chargers was to keep Peyton and Eli out of each other's way in the playoffs unless it was the Super Bowl. This involved the whole manning family, including Peyton, and their agent. Acting like Peyton is classy because he went to the bottom dweller is a bit off because he was in on the plan to keep his little bro out of the AFC.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Two things we shouldn't forget.

1. A lot, and I mean a LOT of NFL people thought Eli was better than Peyton was coming out of college, so saying he had no clout or no reason to make any demands is not quite true.
    2. Part of the design of Eli avoiding the Chargers was to keep Peyton and Eli out of each other's way in the playoffs unless it was the Super Bowl. This involved the whole manning family, including Peyton, and their agent. Acting like Peyton is classy because he went to the bottom dweller is a bit off because he was in on the plan to keep his little bro out of the AFC.

Good point. It was classless how the Manning family got involved in screwing the Chargers. They were essentially saying they were above and more important than the fair NFL draft process. It was a giant middle finger to the NFL's way of doing things. I can see how people were turned off on the Mannings after the 2004 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Acting like Peyton is classy because he went to the bottom dweller is a bit off because he was in on the plan to keep his little bro out of the AFC.
    ????

Peyton came into the league before Eli.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    ????

Peyton came into the league before Eli.
    I think he was referring to Peyton being okay with Eli spurning the Chargers....

Which I don't get why it surprises people you know how close that family is.

Besides we should be glad Eli never went to the Chargers it would've been more embarrassing if our seasons ended with the Eli Manning led Chargers...

It was really the best thing Eli ever did for himself though he would've never won a ring with SD let alone two.

I don't remember Eli being regarded better as Peyton coming into the league... ??
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I think he was referring to Peyton being okay with Eli spurning the Chargers....

Which I don't get why it surprises people you know how close that family is.

Besides we should be glad Eli never went to the Chargers it would've been more embarrassing if our seasons ended with the Eli Manning led Chargers...

It was really the best thing Eli ever did for himself though he would've never won a ring with SD let alone two.

It obviously worked out great for Eli. He went to the classic New York Giants, who are one of the best organizations in the NFL. He's won two Super Bowls. There's no doubt that it worked out perfect for him.

But what if Andrew Luck would have said "I think that the Colts are in complete disarray and I don't want to play in Peyton Manning's shadow, so I refuse to sign with Indianapolis." Now obviously Luck would have never done such a thing, but can you imagine how crappy it would be to be spurned by the guy you want to draft? I've been a big fan of Eli since he started playing, but a stunt like he pulled is bad for the league and is a giant middle finger to the draft process, which is designed to be fair. The Manning family's conduct during that came off as extremely entitled.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

RWB

It obviously worked out great for Eli. He went to the classic New York Giants, who are one of the best organizations in the NFL. He's won two Super Bowls. There's no doubt that it worked out perfect for him.

But what if Andrew Luck would have said "I think that the Colts are in complete disarray and I don't want to play in Peyton Manning's shadow, so I refuse to sign with Indianapolis." Now obviously Luck would have never done such a thing, but can you imagine how crappy it would be to be spurned by the guy you want to draft? I've been a big fan of Eli since he started playing, but a stunt like he pulled is bad for the league and is a giant middle finger to the draft process, which is designed to be fair. The Manning family's conduct during that came off as extremely entitled.
    It worked out perfect for Elway too you're forgetting that as well.

And if Andrew Luck did that I'm sure Manning would be laughing at the Colts since they cut him for Andrew Luck. I personally wouldn't care. I mean yes it would suck not to have a great draft pick but I'm a fan of the Colts regardless of who's sporting the horseshoe. I don't want a player who doesn't want to be here regardless of talent.

Besides players come and go I never understood why fans are upset if a player doesn't really want to be here. I mean fans are fickle the same player you want the team to draft gets cut just as quickly and fans don't seem to care because its a part of business.

Yet its not business when a player looks out for themselves knowing nobody else really cares about them to begin with?

It worked out perfect for Elway too you're forgetting that as well.

And if Andrew Luck did that I'm sure Manning would be laughing at the Colts since they cut him for Andrew Luck. I personally wouldn't care. I mean yes it would suck not to have a great draft pick but I'm a fan of the Colts regardless of who's sporting the horseshoe. I don't want a player who doesn't want to be here regardless of talent.

Besides players come and go I never understood why fans are upset if a player doesn't really want to be here. I mean fans are fickle the same player you want the team to draft gets cut just as quickly and fans don't seem to care because its a part of business.

Yet its not business when a player looks out for themselves knowing nobody else really cares about them to begin with?

I root for whoever is wearing a horseshoe too, but Andrew Luck spurning us would have been devastating for me as a fan. It would have been devastating for the organization too.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. Sure teams cut players all the time, but that's often after paying them millions of dollars to play a freaking game. The NFL has a draft process that is designed to be fair for the entity as a whole, and a player throwing up the middle finger to the draft process throws a giant wrench into the smoothness of the league's business. A college kid who hasn't done squat in the NFL shouldn't be able to cause so much trouble.

I root for whoever is wearing a horseshoe too, but Andrew Luck spurning us would have been devastating for me as a fan. It would have been devastating for the organization too.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. Sure teams cut players all the time, but that's often after paying them millions of dollars to play a freaking game. The NFL has a draft process that is designed to be fair for the entity as a whole, and a player throwing up the middle finger to the draft process throws a giant wrench into the smoothness of the league's business. A college kid who hasn't done squat in the NFL shouldn't be able to cause so much trouble.
    Being employed anywhere in general is a privilege not a right but not everyone can play in the NFL compared to other jobs out there. It doesn't really bother me personally especially when this same system is built to not even be attached to players of your team anymore.

Very few spend their entire career with the same team anyways so even if Elway did play for the Colts it doesn't mean he would've spent his entire career here just because he did in Denver. And we should be glad Elway turned down the Colts because they probably would still be in Baltimore and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Him turning down the Colts pretty much was the beginning of the end for their stay in Baltimore...