Thread: Wow. My respect for Karl Malone just sunk.

Default Wow. My respect for Karl Malone just sunk.

Of course, after this year it had gotten pretty low, but this is awful:

The Early Years: The Ramer Incident

When Karl Malone was still in college, he threw an elbow that sent Rice center Dave Ramer to the hospital and ended his career.

From the December 6, 1984 Washington Post:

Rice junior center Dave Ramer will undergo reconstructive surgery Friday in Houston to repair multiple injuries suffered in what Coach Tommy Suitts says was an intentional elbowing incident in Monday's game against Louisiana Tech. Ramer has a depressed cheekbone, fractures above and below his right eye socket and a collapsed sinus after the incident involving Louisiana Tech's Karl Malone.

Malone had gone up for a rebound and came down swinging his elbows. Ramer was unfortunate enough to be in the same area code. The blow shattered Ramer's cheekbone, and he went down screaming in pain. Malone just looked at him and walked away. Malone's coach was so appalled by Malone's behavior that he went out on the court and told Malone to go back and show some decency and concern. Let me repeat that for emphasis:

Malone's coach made him go back out on the court and act like he cared.

It was obvious that he didn't. Malone muttered a forced apology, but of course Ramer was in no condition to hear it.

Ramer never played basketball again. Amazingly, instead of going to jail or being sued, Malone went on to the NBA and his career flourished. But he didn't stop sending people to the hospital.
    Original article:

http://www.makingpages.org/hoops/Mal...ger.html#ramer

Found this on a the SpursReport forum:

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457

Default Re: Wow. My respect for Karl Malone just sunk.

That link is full of stories like that. Remember Isiah's?

Isaiah Thomas and the 40 Stitch "Lesson"
    In December 1991, Isiah Thomas, one of the league's most loved superstars, was driving to the basket and Karl Malone "went for the ball" but somehow managed to hit Isiah's face so hard with an "unintentional" elbow that Thomas had to be carries from the court and required plastic surgery and forty ststches.

Malone was assessed a flagrant foul and given a $10,000 fine and a one-game suspension. Malone, of course, claimed it was an accident and did not mean to hurt Thomas. After the incident, he talked to Isiah and denied the elbow was deliberate and offered no apology.

As Michael Lowe, D.P.M., team podiatrist for the Utah Jazz, remembered it in remarks at the 1996 AAPSM annual meeting:

Isiah Thomas was driving the lane hard to the basket when Karl swatted at the ball but missed and caught Isiah across the eye brow with his elbow. Again the smaller mass paid the price from the 265 lb. Malone. Thomas went down hard to the court. His initial reaction was that he had been shot in the head by some one in the stands. I looked down to see if the Orthopedic Surgeon was going on to the court, he wasn't in his seat, he had gone outside of the court area to answer a page. Isiah was hemorrhaging from the laceration quite badly and was badly dazed from the impact with Karl's elbow. I went down to see if I could help the trainer, since there was general mayhem on the court. I suggested that we put a collar on him and get a back board to carry him off the court. It was at this point that Bill Lambier grabbed me from behind and practically lifted me off the ground by the neck, telling me that Isiah wasn't going to leave the court that way. This was done by shouting about 2 inches away directly into my face. Before I could react from his shove to my chest to get me out of the way, he picked Isiah Thomas up like you would pick up your three year old son, and carried him very carefully into the locker room for further evaluation. It was at about this time the Orthopod showed up. I gladly turned the situation, and Bill Lambier, over to him. Isiah had a lacerated artery across the brow and was bleeding quite profusely. Lambier refused to leave his side. Since Isiah had a poster boy like face, the Orthopedic surgeon elected to have him transported to the hospital for a Plastic Surgeon to do the primary repair. Lambier went with him to the hospital too. That's what I call team support.

Of course, Malone supports his team, too -- only he does it by hurting opponents, not helping his teammates
    I've seen video of that one, and it was nasty. Just brutal and nasty. The Detroit bench was ready to KILL Malone. Somehow they were held back, but I forget how.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would say the same thing, but my respect for Malone can't get any lower. ed:

I did not realize that.

I have begun to like Karl less and less since he left the Utah Jazz.

And now he's suffering on the injured list with the news not getting any better for him.

What goes around comes around.

It would be fitting for Karl or Gary to be the one that misses a shot or plays a huge role in getting the Lakers eliminated in the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Malone has always *****ed a lot about he gets fouled more than anyone else. That he suffers a lot of cheap shots, etc. etc. etc.

So early in his career he developed tactics that he has always tried to say are "defensive" in nature. He says, if guys know that I will do these things, then they won't be as likely to take cheap shots.

But the problem is, Malone has never waited for someone else to take a cheap shot before retaliating with one of his patented cheap shots. They are part of his game and have been for the last 17-18 years.

He scissor kicks guys in front of him on layins if they are not close enough for him to deliver a strong knee. Guys have learned not to be under him when he shoots layins because he will come down with a forceful elbow on top of them. He goes up to block the shot and oftentimes delivers an elbow to the face.

Malone has immense basketball skills. But he is also one of the dirtiest players to ever put on a uniform. And has been for 17-18 years.