Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: With the 24th pick...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: With the 24th pick...

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like this WR class a lot. Austin, Allen, Woods, Patterson, and Hopkins are all guys who I think will end up being #1 caliber receivers.
    we don't need one though
    "We want Miami"

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    we don't need one though
    I live around a lot of Raiders fans and watch some the games. DHB (Darius Heyward Bey) drops a lot of passes and is afraid of getting hit by the LB. He will catch a deep ball and has excellent speed but his hands are a huge question mark.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    The 49ers have 14 picks in this draft. The common theory is that they won't want to carry that many rookies on their roster. So they'll be looking to package picks to trade up or trade for future picks. I don't know if they would make that specific trade with the Colts but I expect them to trade with someone to move up.
    Good point, I guess I could see them trading up if they like a guy at a specific spot, I think they would be more likely trading up with later picks, or trading for picks next year but yeah I guess no one knows what will happen.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Jones has the best game tape of any player in the draft. I think he can be a Von Miller type of pass rusher.

Another guy who is sliding but will probably be a stud is MLB Alec Ogletree from UGA. He has 4.6 wheels, can cover, and really lays the wood when he hits.
    I like Ogletree a bunch, he is more of a 4.7 guy, he ran a wind aided 4.64 40, and a 4.75 against the wind. But he is super dynamic, and is a big time playmaker, coming from safety to LB really worked well especially from a coverage standpoint, and I think he is versatile and can be moved around on defense.

With Jones his tape is nice, but how much have you watched of Dion Jordan? Guy is long, super fast, can cover, and holds the edge on run plays, his only problem to me is his injury.

As far as tape, there are guys with better tape, Chance and Jockel are two that really stickout.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Robert Woods the guy was a top 5 pick last year and his stock has dropped just because of marqise lee and matt barkley being a tool and not using him.
    Thing with projections a year out is that tape is not typically analyzed as critical as it is during the draft process at this point last year Barkley was projected #1 and Tyler Bray was projected top 10 justin hunter as well. The breakout of Lee was dynamic and did take away from Woods some, but he still was pretty productive especially on shorter routes and in the endzone.

I like Woods game, but I don't think his upside is as big as Hunter, Patterson, Austin, and Hopkins. I also give Allen the edge over him, because I think he is a guy that fits our system perfectly. With all that said I would not be surprised if we went Woods over Allen, Hunter or Hopkins, but I would go one of them over Woods if I were the GM.

Also someone said WR is not a priority or that we don't need one, that is totally wrong, DHB has proved nothing, and is only on a 1 yr deal, Wayne is getting older and could retire anytime now, Hilton is developing but doubt he ever becomes a #1 wr in this league because of hands, route running and size.
    Why so SERIOUS

Woods reminds me a lot of Wayne which is why I am fine taking him with our pick or gambling and trading back for him. Guys like Fuller are also value picks for us since we don't need them to produce the first year. Sooner or later we will need to get a big wr since that's where the league is moving towards.

Mood

Robert Woods the guy was a top 5 pick last year and his stock has dropped just because of marqise lee and matt barkley being a tool and not using him.
    Check out this article this is basically what I was saying about projections a year out... Mike Mayock

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-in-school/
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Woods reminds me a lot of Wayne which is why I am fine taking him with our pick or gambling and trading back for him. Guys like Fuller are also value picks for us since we don't need them to produce the first year. Sooner or later we will need to get a big wr since that's where the league is moving towards.
    Have you checked out Deandre Hopkins? reminds me a lot of Wayne as well...
    Why so SERIOUS

Mantei Teo!!!
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Have you checked out Deandre Hopkins? reminds me a lot of Wayne as well...
    I am not a big fan but I would gladly take him in the second round.

Grigson: It's obvious I'm in a whole different place than I was last year with this process. #Colts

Grigson: At the end of day, we want best football players that are going to get us where we want to go, and that's to win Super Bowls.#Colts

Grigson says strength of draft is DL, OL, DBs. #Colts

Grigson also said #Colts will trade down if there's not a player at 24 they are excited about.

How many players are on the #Colts' draft board? "300 or so."

Grigson on Mr. Irrelevant: We found out that Harnish can play basketball, too. #Colts

#Colts will pick Mr. Irrelevant again this year. "That pick is relevant to us," Grigson said.

Grigson said #Colts will have to have discussion about "special" player, regardless of position.

Is Freeney's replacement in the locker room now? "I'd say we're still finding that out right now." #Colts

Grigson: We want 11 #Colts helmets flying to the ball, to where it looks like there's 30.

Grigson: I'm not going to discount anything. We'll always look at the best players, the best talent. #Colts

Grigson: Aside from QB, any other position could be in play if "special" player is available. #Colts

Grigson not big on smokescreens. Calls them "wasted energy."

Grigson said playing mind games with other GMs is a waste of time. No useful info exchanged. #Colts

Grigson admits he pays attention to mock drafts. Watches to see how players being viewed around league. #Colts

Is this not a glamorous draft? "We're not going to know for a few years." #Colts

Grigson again says this draft is strong in the trenches. #Colts

Grigson on draft prep: It's fun. It's a lot of work. The old scout in him is speaking here. #Colts

Grigson says synergy of this staff is important. Front office understands what coaches need and seeks those qualities. #Colts

Grigson: Stopping the run is "a pride thing." Says staff can quickly spot difference between 4-3 and 3-4 players now. #Colts

Grigson: Good players have been available at 24 last 10 years. Optimistic will be case this year. But if not, open to trading down. #Colts

Grigson looking for "sure-fire" starter at 24. #Colts

Grigson answering question about LB Jarvis Jones, says will do medical homework on every prospect. Deep background checks. #Colts

Interesting on mental side of the game. Grigson saying he doesn't want a player who doesn't want to start right away. #Colts

Grigson says due diligence done on every player. If there are red flags, once a player slips to a certain spot #Colts could be interested.

Grigson: We'll make sure that we don't lose out on a great player because we're being judgemental. #Colts

Grigson: Pep's offense is all about balance. Can't be stringent on scheme. #Colts

Grigson: Draft is "lifeblood" of an organization. Players grow together, create a bond "like brothers." #Colts

Grigson: Free agent additions cut from same cloth as last year's draft picks. #Colts

Grigson: Pagano's illness helped galvanize staff quickly, could be reason for group's outstanding synergy. #Colts

Grigson: Obviously, we've done our homework on the Purdue guys ... and IU. #Colts

Good talk with Grigson. Clear #Colts are keeping all options open at No. 24. https://twitter.com/gmbremer
    Not sure were to put this but the more I here Grigson talk the more I like him as our Colts GM.

Grigson also said that the Walden signing was to stop the run.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-19-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Mood

Really, what is it that you don't like about him or fell that Woods has the upper hand on him about?

Also I was watching Woods tape today just to make sure I didn't miss anything and I did, dudes separation skills are pretty iffy, he runs precise routes, but the problem is that they are not deceptive, and the DB is typically right there with him too often. It was easy to see his hands are amazing, and he doesn't catch with his body, and knows how to adjust to the ball very well. But I think against NFL corners he will not be very successful, crazy thing was watching Keenan Allens tape vs UCLA compared to WOods, it was not even close to me, Allen better separation, same great hands, very quick in small spaces, adjust well to the ball, and is a better blocker. I would give Allen the edge any day of the week.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Not sure were to put this but the more I here Grigson talk the more I like him as our Colts GM.

Grigson also said that the Walden signing was to stop the run.
    Yeah read all of these yesterday, I am happy that he seems a little bit more relaxed instead of uneasy like last year, hopefully he is enjoying it.

He also gave a lot of hints to what his feelings are in the draft, and what he plans to do, I think the players that he is bringing in are most likely going to be the ones that he targets at 24, unless there is some type of big slip on draft day.
    Why so SERIOUS

Eddie Lacy an idea? Could help our power running game
    "We want Miami"

Mood

Way bigger issues, can grab a back to help out with that in later rounds...
    Why so SERIOUS

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Really, what is it that you don't like about him or fell that Woods has the upper hand on him about?

Also I was watching Woods tape today just to make sure I didn't miss anything and I did, dudes separation skills are pretty iffy, he runs precise routes, but the problem is that they are not deceptive, and the DB is typically right there with him too often. It was easy to see his hands are amazing, and he doesn't catch with his body, and knows how to adjust to the ball very well. But I think against NFL corners he will not be very successful, crazy thing was watching Keenan Allens tape vs UCLA compared to WOods, it was not even close to me, Allen better separation, same great hands, very quick in small spaces, adjust well to the ball, and is a better blocker. I would give Allen the edge any day of the week.
    Hopkins is the better deep ball threat but I would give Woods and Allen the edge Peps offense. Woods seems like a guy who is just more like Wayne. He protects himself from big hits and knows how to catch it very low to the ground which is a valueable skill IMO that Woods and Allen don't have.

I don't think there is a huge separation between the three but in Peps offense I think Woods and Allen would be a better replacement for Wayne than Hopkins. With Allen I would just worry that he would take some big shots trying to go for yards after the catch. In the end I like Woods for his route running and his ability to catch a ball that isn't perfectly thrown whether its high or low.

mark ingram v2
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

if we had a 2nd

mark ingram v2
    There is so much wrong with this.

Ingram was the prototypical good college RB that wouldn't translate well in the pros. Lacy is the opposite. He has th size to run through people and even if he is slower he will break through arm tackles and always fall forward after contact much like Edge always did.

Quote Originally Posted by SIR-LANCE-ALOT View Post
    if we had a 2nd
    The point is to trade back if we want to draft a WR. I don't see him as a 1st round talent in this draft.

we don't need one though
    Yes we do. DHB is on a one year deal and isn't that good, and Wayne is done in 2 years. They need a potential future #1 receiver.

Mood

Hopkins is the better deep ball threat but I would give Woods and Allen the edge Peps offense. Woods seems like a guy who is just more like Wayne. He protects himself from big hits and knows how to catch it very low to the ground which is a valueable skill IMO that Woods and Allen don't have.

I don't think there is a huge separation between the three but in Peps offense I think Woods and Allen would be a better replacement for Wayne than Hopkins. With Allen I would just worry that he would take some big shots trying to go for yards after the catch. In the end I like Woods for his route running and his ability to catch a ball that isn't perfectly thrown whether its high or low.
    I guess we view them differently, but I think Hopkins is good for Peps offense as well especially as an outside WR and his ability to adjust to balls is in the ball park of Woods to me, we will see next year though what happens.
    Why so SERIOUS

I guess we view them differently, but I think Hopkins is good for Peps offense as well especially as an outside WR and his ability to adjust to balls is in the ball park of Woods to me, we will see next year though what happens.
    I think Hopkins can adjust to balls but he isn't at Woods level when it comes to laying out for the catch or as good as a route runner. Hopkins is dangerous don't get me wrong and I like his YAC ability a lot but Woods is more polished.

The first minute of this video shows Woods ability to lay out for the catch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjoKAIomVig

A wr concentration and route running skills are the most important quality to me. ITs basically what makes Wayne a probowler and a great player. Hopkins is the better athlete than woods and I think he can win a lot of one on one matchups but Woods all round skill set is why I like him over Hopkins.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-22-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Mood

I think Hopkins can adjust to balls but he isn't at Woods level when it comes to laying out for the catch or as good as a route runner. Hopkins is dangerous don't get me wrong and I like his YAC ability a lot but Woods is more polished.

The first minute of this video shows Woods ability to lay out for the catch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjoKAIomVig

A wr concentration and route running skills are the most important quality to me. ITs basically what makes Wayne a probowler and a great player. Hopkins is the better athlete than woods and I think he can win a lot of one on one matchups but Woods all round skill set is why I like him over Hopkins.
    First question do you watch just the highlight videos or actual game videos that show what happen on each offensive down, to me those are more helpful, in those I see Woods running precise routes but sometimes it the CB knows exactly where he is going and he does not get much separation, as far as the diving catches and stuff I mean that all depends on where the QB puts the ball, I have not seem many situations where Hopkins has had to dive to get the ball, one thing they both do well, which is also something they will both have to do often at the next level, is high pointing the ball, I think Hopkins beats Woods out in this area.

I actually think the deep play ability of both is about the same, Hopkins was used more on vertical passing routes, while Woods was more short to medium routes. Concentration can be seen in both Hopkins and Woods, they both make tough catches in traffic and those that are off target, but like I said they were used two different ways, and honestly we are just giving our opinions, thats why I saw we will see what happens when they eventually make it to the league, my choice is hopkins over woods right now.

Checkout this game an you can see within the first 2 minutes Hopkins physicality(especially in run blocking), his route running, his concentration on the ball, his high pointing the ball, his catching the ball with his hands, and his separation skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVWGxNjF_k

This is also a good video also:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...eandre-hopkins
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Yes we do. DHB is on a one year deal and isn't that good, and Wayne is done in 2 years. They need a potential future #1 receiver.
    I believe Brazill has potential
    "We want Miami"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post: