Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: With the 24th pick...

Default Re: With the 24th pick...

If my calculations are correct:

Samson Satele has 2 years left on his contract.

2013: $2.7 million base + ($1.066 million signing bonus cap hit)
    2014: $3.9 million base + ($1.066 million signing bonus cap hit)

Cutting him before June 1 will save the Colts about $.6 million against the cap. Cutting him after June 1 will save us $1.6 million this year but cost us $1 million in dead money the following year.

Mike McGlynn has 1 year left on his contract.

2013: $1.5 million

Cutting him saves us $1.5 million against the cap. Doesn't look like we gave him a signing bonus.

Brandon McKinney has 1 year left on his contract.

2013: $1 million base + ($150,000 signing bonus cap hit)

Seems like we can afford to let any or all walk without worrying about dead money issues.

Talk about a statement about the state of our LOS on both sides! 4 picks, 4 lineman.

I'll be okay with it if they all contribute. Hughes seems very high risk, high reward. So I will hope for the latter.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If my calculations are correct:

Samson Satele has 2 years left on his contract.

2013: $2.7 million base + ($1.066 million signing bonus cap hit)
    2014: $3.9 million base + ($1.066 million signing bonus cap hit)

Cutting him before June 1 will save the Colts about $.6 million against the cap. Cutting him after June 1 will save us $1.6 million this year but cost us $1 million in dead money the following year.

Mike McGlynn has 1 year left on his contract.

2013: $1.5 million

Cutting him saves us $1.5 million against the cap. Doesn't look like we gave him a signing bonus.

Brandon McKinney has 1 year left on his contract.

2013: $1 million base + ($150,000 signing bonus cap hit)

Seems like we can afford to let any or all walk without worrying about dead money issues.
    Additionally, in terms of the McKinney situation (and maybe even the Chapman situation), the Hughes deal may indicate a level of uncertainly there. Neither guy played last year and both dealt with serious knee injuries. I suppose Satele wasn't exactly the picture of durability himself.

-Emiliano Zapata

So the Colts trade for an early pick in the 5th round to take Montori Hughes.

OLB - Bjoren Werner
    G - Hugh Thornton
    C/G - Khaled Holmes
    DT - Montori Hughes

I will admit none of these picks have excited me that much but I am not too disappointed either. Right now I have more of a wait and see mindset.

I think the Colts are going with Pagano's moto of "iron sharpens iron like man sharpens man" over need and even best player available outside of picking Werner.

I think Thornton could very well start at guard from day one. He is likely to be the second best guard on this team behind Donald Thomas. Not sure where Holmes fits unless Samson is cut and even then Holmes seems to be a pick to provide depth/competition more so than a true upgrade in talent.

I think the Hughes picks falls in line with wanting lots of competition across positions. The NT position is certainly a question mark since we don't know how Chapman will come back. Hughes seems to have the talent to be a solid pro but there are questions if he has his head screwed on straight. Lets hope he comes to Indy ready to work and does the right things.

The Colts didn't come into this draft with one glaring need over another so Grigson and co. had the luxury of approaching this draft in whatever way they wished. In the long term I am worried about depth at WR but I think that was a position that would have had to be addressed early on. The lack of depth at safety is still a concern and I hope they can manage to add a worthy player there before this draft is over. I do like adding depth to both lines as that is where the dirty work is done and there are some question marks there for this team. I just hope the players the Colts drafted for those spots can do right off the field and turn out to be productive on it.

Well, last year's draft was heavily let's give Luck some offensive tools to work with. Now it's like let's get Pagano some guys in the trenches to provide a foundation for what he likely wants to establish.

Assuming the O-line pans out and improves, it will be interested to watch Ballard, and even Brown to a degree, run behind it.

-Emiliano Zapata

6th round - John Boyett, Oregon Free Safety

Coming off surgery on both knees.

Ran a 4.57 40 at his pro day.

Undersized, supposed to be a leader.

Tops in the bench press for free safeties. 27 reps. Next best was 21.
    Last edited by Strummer; 04-27-2013 at 05:01 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

wow I know they're highlight tapes and it'll be interesting to see how he turns out after the surgery but man watching some of his highlight videos, he really laid out some nasty hits.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love the Boyett pick my fav pick of the draft would have gone higher if he didnt get injured all year.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Pagano on ESPN now. He looks really good considering what he's been through. I'm thrilled that his recovery is going well.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK, without knowing how the players will fare can I say that I'm glad we addressed the OLine with 3 picks? There is no way Grigs couldn't see that during the past season. Really hope the players will help us there so Luck won't fall on his back that much like last season (I'm looking at you McGlynn!!!!! ).

Also good to see we added depth at Safety.

Am also worried that we didn't draft a WR. I'm not talking about a definite starter but maybe a raw talented one that will be groomed to be a starter and go to guy in the future. Right now we have 4 of course (make it 5 with Whalen but you know....). If they go into the season with that current bunch maybe it's a sign (apart from the fact that the FO and coaches are just happy with the depth) that we will fully plan to use our 2 TEs, so that leaves us with 2 WRs on the field.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seems we got a WR. Lanear Sampson

https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam/sta...97101677191169

Mood

Overall a really solid draft.

Bjoern Werner DE: A+ I love this dude as I've already said enough. Addresses a huge need and should make an immediate impact.

Hugh Thornton OG: A- After watching this video of this guy I have to say that I'm really impressed and I think that he will really help solidify our interior. I love how this guy just relentlessly goes after his guy and consistently hustles to block at the next level once he destroys his first guy. He has an "I will destroy you" mentality. He never gives up on a play and at least in that video, he completely and utterly dominated. It shows a lot of character to play with that level of intensity with no let up for 4 quarters despite getting blown out. FYI, he is the left tackle(#72) in that video.

Khaled Holmes C: C - This pick is a tad perplexing. We had a chance to get Quinton Patton whom I believe would have had a reasonable chance at being groomed into an eventual Wayne replacement. Instead we go for a center. He certainly has a chance to take over the starting center gig in a year or 2, but I don't think this is our Jeff Saturday. I could be dead wrong, but I think he will end up being a slight upgrade over Satelle and Shipley. It's clear to me that for some reason they don't think Shipley can start despite him being awesome in that Houston game. Our center situation has been a weird one and this only adds to the oddity of the whole thing.

Montori Hughes DT: B- This is a boom or bust type of pick. He could end up being an absolute monster given that he is a superb natural athlete in a giant's body. At 6'4 329 Hughes will add even more competition to the NT position and may be groomed to take over for Redding at some point. Chuck sees him as a similar athlete to Ngata which is a good thing. Will be interesting to see if he gets any time at DE at some point like Ngata. It's not a bad pick per se, but it did cost us a 4th rounder next year which is arguable where Hughes should have been taken anyways. So I guess I view it as a wash.

John Boyett S: B+ Good pick in the 6th round. Adds some nice depth at safety which is good given Landry's history. Boyett is an excellent player that fell due to injury issues otherwise he would've gone much higher. Great value pick.

Kerwynn Williams RB: A- I was really hoping that we would get a scat back this year in the mold of Darren Sproles to come in on 3rd down pass situations. I had my eye on Franklin, but he went a little too early, Williams is an excellent pick. How many times do you get a guy that is actually useful in the 7th round? This guy is quick and can catch in the backfield. Excellent replacement for Donald Brown who is great and all, but can't quite figure out how to catch the ball. If we can teach Williams how to block a bit better, I think he will get some usage and turn some heads.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1p12_k9Etw

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

The Colts undrafted free agent list.
    from http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013-...ed-free-agents

Indianapolis Colts
    Lanear Simpson, WR, Baylor
    Dan Moore, FB, Montana
    Brandon McManus, K, Temple
    Daxton Swanson, CB, SJ State
    Emmett Cleary, OL, Boston College
    Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas State
    Denodus O’Bryant, RB, Lindenwood
    Sheldon Price, CB, UCLA
    Rodrick Rumble, WR, Idaho State
    Nick Driskill, S, Mount Union (Tryout)

Don't really get why not take a flier on Chase Thomas and Da-Rick Rodgers in the 7th round. Those other 2 guys could have been brought in on UFA.

Sheldon Price was a nice pickup though.

Would have liked Ray Ray and Rodney Smith. Smith is 6'4" WR with 4.5 speed. Pretty fast for a tall receiver.

The Holmes pick was a bit of a head scratcher. And no, I didn't want Patton. Patton drops a lot of passes. We already have speedy WR that are drop prone with TY and Brazil. Franklin (RB) would have been a better pickup, as would William Gohlston (compared to Redding) and Rambo.

Overall, I'm not really displeased. Grigson had a hell of a draft last year, so I'll give it some time before being overly judgmental and jumping to conclusions. Definitely liked the first 2 picks.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

did Rodgers have any off field problems other than drug tests? if not I frankly don't care, shoulda drafted him. glad I never had to pass random drug tests in college.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    did Rodgers have any off field problems other than drug tests? if not I frankly don't care, shoulda drafted him. glad I never had to pass random drug tests in college.
    apparently he interviewed with teams really poorly.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    apparently he interviewed with teams really poorly.
    I mean, maybe, I guess. I don't know what happens in those interviews. I'd really love for Hard Knocks to do a draft specific season though, we could get the Dolphins GM asking a dude if his mom was a crack whore or whatever it was.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: