Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: With the 24th pick...

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: With the 24th pick...

Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydHxSVDR-fQ

I'm so excited! Werner is an AWESOME pickup!
    Looks like one hell of a wrap-up tackler. I was watching the vid, and I was like "Jesus Christ, he just wraps them up". No show, just good football, so far I love it.

Also, I realize its a highlight vid; he also shows good pursuit and persistence. Has anybody watched him that can give some feedback?
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    Looks like one hell of a wrap-up tackler. I was watching the vid, and I was like "Jesus Christ, he just wraps them up". No show, just good football, so far I love it.

Also, I realize its a highlight vid; he also shows good pursuit and persistence. Has anybody watched him that can give some feedback?
    Probably don't want to hear my take on his negatives, but I will just make a few points, stiff, not good at coverage, plays too high, 5 of his sacks this season came from Murray state and Savanah st, don't think his game will translate well to the NFL in a 3-4 system, and he does not play til the whistle is blown.

There are some positives like a good first step, and he closes fast in a straight line.
    Why so SERIOUS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

we got the bjoern supremacy...eeehh????...see what I did there?.....ok it was a fail

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Not particularly thrilled with this. Why take a guy in the first round that you have to convert to fit into your system? Why not take Rhodes?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Once you do a little searching on this guy it sounds like his combine numbers really caused him to drop. Sporting News had him as the 6th best in the draft at one point. When you listen to Pagano and Grigs they relied more on tape and personally working the guy out than just the raw numbers.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't have minded taking Lacy from Alabama. I like Ballard, but I still feel like we need more depth and speed at the position. We were only the 22nd best running game last year. I would have liked to have added some SEC speed.

I barely watch college football though, so I'm not very qualified to give an opinion of the pick. I trust in Grigson and Pagano because virtually every move they've made over the last year has been good.

I think Lacey is a better Ahmed Bradshaw. Colts should trade back into the 2nd round with the 49ers.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    I think Lacey is a better Ahmed Bradshaw. Colts should trade back into the 2nd round with the 49ers.
    True and grab a WR...
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I wouldn't have minded taking Lacy from Alabama. I like Ballard, but I still feel like we need more depth and speed at the position. We were only the 22nd best running game last year. I would have liked to have added some SEC speed.

I barely watch college football though, so I'm not very qualified to give an opinion of the pick. I trust in Grigson and Pagano because virtually every move they've made over the last year has been good.
    He is not super fast, he is however quick and a bruiser, would be better off grabbing a guy later since Lacy would be in a 2 back system anyways you would not get as much value.
    Why so SERIOUS

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

I didn't expect to see so much debate over the quality of this pick. Guys this is EXACTLY what Grigson has been talking about... He fell in love with Werner's game tape and then was excited to see his subpar combine performance.

Werner has violent hands and is almost always one of the first guys to react to the snap. Pass rush OLBs often play with a hand on the ground, and even when he is standing up he will rarely have to drop back in coverage. He isn't a stud in coverage but he shouldn't be asked to handle more than the occasional flat... a responsibility I think he can definitely handle.

Werner is just a flat out baller. He plays hard and he plays with a mean streak. He is considered a hard worker, both on the field and in the weight room, and I expect that to carry him very far. One analyst on NFL network compared him to Jared Allen out of college... not bad eh? He is an excellent wrap-up tackler, and does a really good job of stacking and shedding blockers.

If anyone noticed, the Colts pick was in almost immediately after going on the clock. Grigson and Pagano didn't think he would be available, but once he was it wasn't even up for debate in the war room. I think with an NFL nutrition and weight program he could slim down and become a little more explosive, but he already has the anticipation and ability to bend that you look for in a 3-4 pass rusher. I can't wait to see this guy on the field.

Go Colts!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Probably don't want to hear my take on his negatives, but I will just make a few points, stiff, not good at coverage, plays too high, 5 of his sacks this season came from Murray state and Savanah st, don't think his game will translate well to the NFL in a 3-4 system, and he does not play til the whistle is blown.

There are some positives like a good first step, and he closes fast in a straight line.
    I'll add to the list. He will be good at stunts in the NFL. He dips his shoulders under the Tackle nicely. Has a solid inside fake counter move. He can disengage on a blocks on the running game. He gets his hands up if he can't beat his man.

I agree with your negatives and I think he has to get better with his hands to play OLB. Part of the reason I think you are saying he plays too high is because he get punched to easily by the tackle and basically allows that to rock him back. If he improves his hands then I can see him getting by with playing high.

I will say FSU had a amazing defense and he was game planned for. People knew how great of a pass rusher he was and he was getting chipped by RB's.

I can't be mad at the pick and I still hope they go after Brandon Jenkins in the later rounds if he drops. His foot injury cost him a lot but he would be a solid late round pick to go along with Werner.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guess Werner is playing OLB
    Smothered Chicken!

This is such a bad scheme fit. I'm trying to be positive about it, but I can't be.

Not excited about the pick. Really thought the Colts should have traded back. Rhodes would have been a better pick at 24 though.

Oh well. Hope he turns out to be a good player.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post

He is honestly one of the guys I've been following for awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tgtpB_yai4 Here is a game vid for him to give you a better idea.

He is very disruptive and often finds a way through double teams. Good burst/closing speed, not so much straight line, open field speed though. He is a really smart player that has excellent instincts. He sets the edge well and is excellent at defending against the run. He is also very good at batting balls down at the line of scrimmage. He has a great attitude and has only played football for a handful of years. He was exposed to it when he was 15 in Germany...so his ceiling is remarkably high. He loves the game has zero ego and will have no problem in what may be the best locker room in the NFL. I think that Pagano and Grigs see him as someone that can play a number of positions for our defense. Pags even joked about the possibility of lining him up as a running back/FB in short yardage.

Problem areas I see:
    He tends to let up a bit on some plays that I would like to see him be more aggressive on. Part of this may be due to fatigue as he played 95% of defensive snaps for Florida State.
    Werner will have to adapt a bit to our system. It will be interesting to see where and how often he plays this first year.
    When rushing the QB he mainly rushes along the outside. Doesn't seem to have much versatility in rush moves. This can be coached.

We got a good one. I really think he will pan out in the long run for us and be both an excellent defensive piece as well as a fan favorite that is highly marketable. The Germinator!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He looks alright... I always cringe when I hear that a team plans on moving a player to a different position. *cough*Freeney*cough*
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Frankly, I think Id prefer lining Werner up at OLB to use in creative blitz packages.

The things Ive seen said most scouts were almost shocked at how well he dropped in coverage when at his pro day, seeing as most expected him to struggle.

I like the pick, a lot.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    He looks alright... I always cringe when I hear that a team plans on moving a player to a different position. *cough*Freeney*cough*
    I do to but he has only played 5 years of football and Freenys big problem was that he couldn't set the edge very well and he couldn't stunt very well. I like Werner to be able to do both better than Freeney. Like it or not Freeney was just a pass rusher. He wasn't great at setting the edge and that's a big reason why people ran on his side.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydHxSVDR-fQ

I'm so excited! Werner is an AWESOME pickup!
    he looks good, and can play the run!!! sure tackler, looks relentless to get to the QB, our D should be much better next year, we are finally getting real men in there instead of smurfs!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is honestly one of the guys I've been following for awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tgtpB_yai4 Here is a game vid for him to give you a better idea.

He is very disruptive and often finds a way through double teams. Good burst/closing speed, not so much straight line, open field speed though. He is a really smart player that has excellent instincts. He sets the edge well and is excellent at defending against the run. He is also very good at batting balls down at the line of scrimmage. He has a great attitude and has only played football for a handful of years. He was exposed to it when he was 15 in Germany...so his ceiling is remarkably high. He loves the game has zero ego and will have no problem in what may be the best locker room in the NFL. I think that Pagano and Grigs see him as someone that can play a number of positions for our defense. Pags even joked about the possibility of lining him up as a running back/FB in short yardage.

Problem areas I see:
    He tends to let up a bit on some plays that I would like to see him be more aggressive on. Part of this may be due to fatigue as he played 95% of defensive snaps for Florida State.
    Werner will have to adapt a bit to our system. It will be interesting to see where and how often he plays this first year.
    When rushing the QB he mainly rushes along the outside. Doesn't seem to have much versatility in rush moves. This can be coached.

We got a good one. I really think he will pan out in the long run for us and be both an excellent defensive piece as well as a fan favorite that is highly marketable. The Germinator!
    Basing off just that video, he does seem to have a tendency to let up early. One instant bugged me quite a bit. The play @ 2:35 (http://youtu.be/8tgtpB_yai4?t=2m35s) he seems to just completely quit on the play...

Of course, this is just one video, so won't completely judge him off that. Hope he fits in!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    Basing off just that video, he does seem to have a tendency to let up early. One instant bugged me quite a bit. The play @ 2:35 (http://youtu.be/8tgtpB_yai4?t=2m35s) he seems to just completely quit on the play...

Of course, this is just one video, so won't completely judge him off that. Hope he fits in!
    He does have a tendency to do it(I've watched most of his 2012 game vids. A lot of college prospects have these and it gives such a good representation of what guys are like throughout a whole game). He typically does it when plays happen on the other side of scrimmage. I think it's due to him playing almost all the snaps though. It's far more common in the NFL to rotate DEs to keep them fresh. That play really bugged me as well. It's a puzzling issue at times because he can be so tenacious at the line when rushing or setting the edge. I still think it's mainly him pacing himself to last the whole game. Pagano will surely address it.

Also he was just on 1070 with JMV for those that are interested:
    http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Ep....aspx?PID=2161

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post

i can guarantee u every defensive player either in college or the pros made a move like that, and @4:10,isnt that holding?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SIR-LANCE-ALOT View Post
    i can guarantee u every defensive player either in college or the pros made a move like that, and @4:10,isnt that holding?
    Yes, and again two plays later.

Oh and their right tackle(Sentreal Henderson) whom Bjoern abused for most of that game is a likely first round pick next year.

god someone please pick Margus Hunt before we pick again.

please
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    god someone please pick Margus Hunt before we pick again.

please
    Wish granted.

What's the story with this guy? I've seen his name in this thread, he seems pretty polarizing around these parts.