Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford's Mock Draft 1.0

Hybrid View

Default Ford's Mock Draft 1.0

I don't see it posted.

Spoiler Spoiler:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...rst-mock-draft

PS: I like the idea of taking a gamble and stashing the prospect. Enough of marginal NBA players on the roster already. As a bonus, when he signs, we will lead the league in French backups.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ford's Mock Draft 1.0

I think there are some potential gems later in the first round. This draft sucks at the top, but I think there are some guys in the 20s that could help a team.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Gobert is a stud would love him.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gobert is a stud would love him.
    I know absolutely nothing about the foreign crop of gents. Nuntius or any of our other European based Pacer fans: Know anything about this guy?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about the foreign crop of gents. Nuntius or any of our other European based Pacer fans: Know anything about this guy?
    he was going top 10 in most mock draft sites for most of the season im not really sure what changed though.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

NO PROJECTS! We have one now in Plumlee that is going to take years to get any contribution from.

LOL! That some would rather draft a long term project when they already have one in Plumlee than trade the pick in a package for help next season and in the future. Just SMH.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    NO PROJECTS! We have one now in Plumlee that is going to take years to get any contribution from.

LOL! That some would rather draft a long term project when they already have one in Plumlee than trade the pick in a package for help next season and in the future. Just SMH.
    A long term project in Gobert would hopefully yield successful results when he's like 23 or 24, which Plumlee already is. I like Plumlee... Not where we picked him really... But I don't mind him. But I'd take Gobert and his potential over Plumlee for sure.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Gobert is an athletic freak. He is born in 1992, he is 7 foot and a quarter barefoot (which means that in the NBA he will be at least 7'1) and has a monstrous wingspan (7'9).

Here is a video of him at the 2012 Eurocamp:

He is really efficient (he shot 79.4% last season and 74% this season for Cholet, both 23 games seasons) but the vast majority of his shots are inside 3 feet.

At this point, he is only a shot-blocker and a PnR finisher. He is quite thin (235 lbs according to DX) although he is lately looking to add some weight. He is very willing to come and play in the NBA.

The problem with Gobert is that he is going to be drafted solely because of his athletic potential, which is enormous. He has not developed basketball skills yet.

I wouldn't mind him at our pick. He is good value for late 1st. But I've seen several mock drafts that have him slated to go top 10. That would be a major mistake, imo.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Gobert is an athletic freak. He is born in 1992, he is 7 foot and a quarter barefoot (which means that in the NBA he will be at least 7'1) and has a monstrous wingspan (7'9).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    At this point, he is only a shot-blocker and a PnR finisher. He is quite thin (235 lbs according to DX) although he is lately looking to add some weight. He is very willing to come and play in the NBA.

The problem with Gobert is that he is going to be drafted solely because of his athletic potential, which is enormous. He has not developed basketball skills yet.

I wouldn't mind him at our pick. He is good value for late 1st. But I've seen several mock drafts that have him slated to go top 10. That would be a major mistake, imo.
    This is why some Team will reach and draft him.....some Team ALWAYS drafts based off of potential, athleticsm and wingspan.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This is why some Team will reach and draft him.....some Team ALWAYS drafts based off of potential, athleticsm and wingspan.
    I'm afraid that some team is going to reach and draft him in the top 10 just like you say. That's exactly what the Wizards did with Vesely. If he goes top 10 then I'm afraid that he's going to be considered a bust.

He is really raw as a basketball player. He shouldn't go that high (again, just like Vesely). He has the potential to be a very fine player in this league but I'm going to be sad if people start considering him a bust just because he got overdrafted.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I know it's impractical, but imagine Gobert and Roy on court together.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ive seen Gobert play.

Tall as **** and fantastic shot blocking instincts with a pretty good first jump. His wingspan is so ridiculous he can block shots without leaving the floor.

The downside? He's incapable of making anything that isn't a dunk. He has problems with layups. He's probably the 3rd or 4th best player on his own team right now, and he doesn't even play a lot. The reason behind that is he's practically anorexic. His lower base is practically weightless so even a little contact below the waist and the ball just flies out of his hands at awkward angles.

Also for that same reason, his rebounding is....not so good. He loses his balance very easily when he gets boxed out.

I won't say he reminds me of Manute Bol, but he gets results like Manute Bol. Lots of blocked shots, but not much in the way of offense or rebounding.

All that said, I'd pick him outside of the lottery. He's a project but the upside is pretty good. Athletic 7'3" guys with an even longer wingspan don't come around often. The gamble is that he has to develop some kind of an offensive move or outside shot, because his frame isn't going to get a whole lot stronger. That's the reason why he's going to fall into the 20's.

He's listed at 220, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that number should be in green font.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-10-2013 at 07:28 AM.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Ive seen Gobert play.

Tall as **** and fantastic shot blocking instincts with a pretty good first jump. His wingspan is so ridiculous he can block shots without leaving the floor.

The downside? He's incapable of making anything that isn't a dunk. He has problems with layups. He's probably the 3rd or 4th best player on his own team right now, and he doesn't even play a lot. The reason behind that is he's practically anorexic. His lower base is practically weightless so even a little contact below the waist and the ball just flies out of his hands at awkward angles.

Also for that same reason, his rebounding is....not so good. He loses his balance very easily when he gets boxed out.

I won't say he reminds me of Manute Bol, but he gets results like Manute Bol. Lots of blocked shots, but not much in the way of offense or rebounding.

All that said, I'd pick him outside of the lottery. He's a project but the upside is pretty good. Athletic 7'3" guys with an even longer wingspan don't come around often. The gamble is that he has to develop some kind of an offensive move or outside shot, because his frame isn't going to get a whole lot stronger. That's the reason why he's going to fall into the 20's.

He's listed at 220, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that number should be in green font.
    You're spot on, Kstat. He is not as tall as Manute (he is closer to 7'1 and 7'2 than 7'3 or 7'4 but anyway) but their frames are kinda similar. I think that he can gain some weight, though. I read that he has reputedly hired a personal cook and eats 5k calories per day in order to add weight.

We will see how he measures in the workouts.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Mood

Nuntius... You know anything about this guy?

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

I'd like Allen Crabbe as a firecracker off the bench.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

The catch-22 with Gobert is Cholet. I don't believe Cholet is very interested in developing him. He's almost 21 and hasn't really improved since he was 19. He isn't really involved in the offense. They send him out to block shots, and he blocks shots. He doesn't get touches if he's not wide open for a dunk. Ford is missing the boat when he says Gobert needs to develop overseas. I don't think they care if he gets any better or not.

I think he's in bad need of NBA coaching and development.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Ford is missing the boat when he says Gobert needs to develop overseas. I don't think they care if he gets any better or not.

I think he's in bad need of NBA coaching and development.
    Agreed. Gobert is eager to come to the NBA immediatedly and with good reason. He will not gain anything by playing in Cholet.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Pick him up and stick him in the D-League.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Problem is the D league is useless. It doesn't simulate nba basketball at all.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-10-2013 at 08:12 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Problem is the D league is useless. It doesn't simulate nba basketball at all.
    Helped Pulp gain some confidence. I know he and Gobert are not both apples, but I wouldn't say it's completely useless.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Helped Pulp gain some confidence. I know he and Gobert are not both apples, but I wouldn't say it's completely useless.
    Yeah, my thanks were based on agreeing that it doesn't simulate the NBA and isn't good for teaching the "game". It's good for a guy that needs reps and individual game improvements or confidence. This is why it was such a good fit for OJ.

But rotations, floor spacing, etc, you aren't learning the "game" in that way. That's what keeps the D-league from being the MLB farm system where development targets and levels are clearly defined.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yeah, my thanks were based on agreeing that it doesn't simulate the NBA and isn't good for teaching the "game". It's good for a guy that needs reps and individual game improvements or confidence. This is why it was such a good fit for OJ.

But rotations, floor spacing, etc, you aren't learning the "game" in that way. That's what keeps the D-league from being the MLB farm system where development targets and levels are clearly defined.
    Is the league ready to go the route of MLB and let teams own the rights to prospects and expand the draft to tie them up? Of course the age limit rule would have to go by the way side and the college game would hate the idea. I believe it would be more like what they have in Europe, would it not? Isn't that how guys like Tony Parker can come into the league at 19 after already being a pro?

The bench warmer big guy from the Spurs who never plays went to the D-League and averaged 20 and 10 in three games. The Spurs use their team like this a great deal, but again it is their team.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Is the league ready to go the route of MLB and let teams own the rights to prospects and expand the draft to tie them up? Of course the age limit rule would have to go by the way side and the college game would hate the idea. I believe it would be more like what they have in Europe, would it not? Isn't that how guys like Tony Parker can come into the league at 19 after already being a pro?

The bench warmer big guy from the Spurs who never plays went to the D-League and averaged 20 and 10 in three games. The Spurs use their team like this a great deal, but again it is their team.
    I was thinking about this today, and I could only think of one way it could work. First of all, each team would have to have it's own D-League team.

Here's an example of how I think it could work. Let's say the Pacers D-League team is in Fort Wayne. And let's say the Pistons want to sign one of the Fort Wayne players to a 10 day contract. The Pacers would have the right of first refusal on that player, where they could either decide to sign that player to a 10 day contract, or let the Pistons sign that player.

That's the only way I could see it working to be fair to the players. Remember, the players make significantly less than what they could make in Europe. Most choose to play in the D-League in spite of this because they can be available to be called up by all NBA teams. If they want players to have exclusive rights to the team, they have to pay them more, like $100,000 a season.

Sports Logo

What we need is a pass first point guard with real ball handling and passing skills

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    What we need is a pass first point guard with real ball handling and passing skills
    I would rather get a vet.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: