Thread: Bulls Vs Knicks rivalry vs Pacers vs Knicks rivalry

Default Bulls Vs Knicks rivalry vs Pacers vs Knicks rivalry

Guys help me out...How was the Bulls vs Knicks rivalry better than the Pacers vs Knicks rivalry? I remember both, but without being a homer, I don't see it? The Knicks got swept 5 times out of the seven with only 1 ECF meet up vs the Pacers even break of 3-3 playoff wins with 3 EFC meet ups Knicks 2 to Pacers 1?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bulls Vs Knicks rivalry vs Pacers vs Knicks rivalry

There really isn't a right or wrong answer.
    @qandrews9428

3. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Basically, even though Pacers/Knicks rivalry get acknowledged, how it is over shadowed by Bulls/Knicks when Bulls put the Knicks in Sweep City for the majority of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Basically, even though Pacers/Knicks rivalry get acknowledged, how it is over shadowed by Bulls/Knicks when Bulls put the Knicks in Sweep City for the majority of the time?
    I didn't know it was overshadowed? Maybe because they are much bigger markets?
    @qandrews9428

6. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Xavier McDaniels vs Jordan was pretty good stuff. The fight right in front of David Stern between Derek Harper and (I forget who) was pretty good just to see Stern's horrified look on his face. Horace Grant blocking Charles Smith's shot again and again to seal a victory was pretty good stuff. Wasn't one of MJ's best dunks ever on the Knicks as he almost stomped on the whole Knicks team.

if you want to suggest the pacers vs Knicks was better - OK, I can make that into a strong argument. But don't act like the Bulls vs Knickis wasn't very good 0r was no where close to the pacers vs Knicks.

You also had the Oakley for Cartright trade between the two teams that added a little spark.

I would guess if I were a huge Knicks fan from late 80's through 2000. You have the Bulls, Pacers and Heat as all big rivals. Which one is better - I don't know
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-11-2013 at 02:28 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's hard to call Bulls-Knicks a "rivalry" when Jordan owned them every time. The Bulls were 5-0 in series against the Knicks when 45 was lacing them up. The only time the Knicks knocked the Bulls out was when Air was playing baseball.

Bulls-Knicks gets points for having two major markets and the lore of Jordan, but Pacers-Knicks was a better rivalry because the teams were 3-3 against each other in the six times they met. You always knew Bulls-Knicks would ultimately end with 45 breaking New York's heart, but Pacers-Knicks was truly unpredictable. For that reason, I think it's better.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Speaking of Pacers Bulls, ECF 1998 arguably the best ECF ever in my opinion.
    @qandrews9428

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Big market vs. Big market.

Bulls fans can't fathom that the Knicks would have a rivalry with somebody as small as Indiana. Or Miami either, while we're at it.

According to some media circles, Knicks-Heat has been bigger than Knicks-Pacers. Sure, there were some high profile incidents during playoff games and Knicks fans (for good reason) are still honked off about Riley's departure. So there's lots of fisticuffs involved, but the best actual basketball rivalry (at least as a competitive one across multiple playoff matchups) was Knicks-Pacers.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Big market vs. Big market.

Bulls fans can't fathom that the Knicks would have a rivalry with somebody as small as Indiana. Or Miami either, while we're at it.

According to some media circles, Knicks-Heat has been bigger than Knicks-Pacers. Sure, there were some high profile incidents during playoff games and Knicks fans (for good reason) are still honked off about Riley's departure. So there's lots of fisticuffs involved, but the best actual basketball rivalry (at least as a competitive one across multiple playoff matchups) was Knicks-Pacers.
    I agree. Bulls-Knicks and Knicks-Heat were both lopsided. Bulls-Knicks was 5-1 in Chicago's favor, with New York's only series win being in 1994 when Jordan was gone. Knicks-Heat was 3-1 in New York's favor in the four years they met. Knicks-Heat probably involved the most hatred, but Pacers-Knicks was by far the most balanced on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Speaking of Pacers Bulls, ECF 1998 arguably the best ECF ever in my opinion.
    You make an interesting point. That game #7 received very high TV ratings. Higher than most NBA Finals games not involving the Bulls)

If i were to rate the pacers ECF series. I would rank them this way. All are really good though. All 6 were very memorable to me

1998 - Bulls over pacers in 7 games.
    1994 - Knicks over Pacers in 7 games.
    2000 - Pacers over Knicks in 6 games.
    2004 - Pistons beat Pacers in 6
    1999 - Knicks beat pacers in 6
    1995 - Magic beat pacers in 7 games

Here are the scores.

Game Date Home Score Visitor Score Record (CHI-IND) Venue Box score Television
    1 May 17 Chicago 85 Indiana 79 1–0 United Center, Chicago, Illinois 1 NBC 3:30et
    2 May 19 Chicago 104 Indiana 98 2–0 United Center, Chicago, Illinois 2 TNT 8:30et
    3 May 23 Indiana 107 Chicago 105 2–1 Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, Indiana 3 NBC 3:30et
    4 May 25 Indiana 96 Chicago 94 2–2 Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, Indiana 4 NBC 3:30et
    5 May 27 Chicago 106 Indiana 87 3–2 United Center, Chicago, Illinois 5 NBC 9:00et
    6 May 29 Indiana 92 Chicago 89 3–3 Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, Indiana 6 NBC 9:00et
    7 May 31 Chicago 88 Indiana 83 4–3 United Center, Chicago, Illinois 7 NBC

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    1998 - Bulls over pacers in 7 games.
    1994 - Knicks over Pacers in 7 games.
    2000 - Pacers over Knicks in 6 games.
    2004 - Pistons beat Pacers in 6
    1999 - Knicks beat pacers in 6
    1995 - Magic beat pacers in 7 games

We sure have had some brutal defeats in the conference finals.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The Knicks never beat the Bulls with MJ, therefore under the "it's not a rivalry unless both teams win" clause it isn't actually a rivalry./sarcasm

Seriously though, the Bulls/Knicks rivalry gets talked about more because one team had Michael Jordan and was winning championships. The Pacers and Knicks never won a title so it's hard to look back on their matchups as more than a local skirmish because someone else always came by and beat them. The Bulls beat the Knicks several times on the way to their championships so they become part of the "path to a title" narrative.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    We sure have had some brutal defeats in the conference finals.
    Yeah it looks that way when they are listed like that. But I don't feel theat way. It is great to make it that far and I loved every time we got to the ECF. The two toughest losses were in 1999 and in 1995. 1999 because of LJ's 4pt play and the fact that even with that in game 3, pacers came back and won game #4 in NYC, but then lost game 5 at home. That was tough to take.

1995 was tough because I thought beating the Knicks in 7 in the second round took a lot out of us and we almost gave the first games away in orllando and never really recovered.

Felt the pacers were the better team in both of those series.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The fight right in front of David Stern between Derek Harper and (I forget who) was pretty good just to see Stern's horrified look on his face.
    Jo Jo English.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Not even close to me

Knicks vs Pacers or "Hicks vs Knicks" was epic

I was living in Brooklyn during that time and the joy I had watching my friends facial expressions as Superman, AKA Reggie Miller turned a 12 point 4th quarter deficit into a win at MSG game 5 with 25 points in one quarter.......

Freakin Priceless
    Sittin on top of the world!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Unclebuck;1620613]Yeah it looks that way when they are listed like that. But I don't feel theat way. It is great to make it that far and I loved every time we got to the ECF. The two toughest losses were in 1999 and in 1995. 1999 because of LJ's 4pt play and the fact that even with that in game 3, pacers came back and won game #4 in NYC, but then lost game 5 at home. That was tough to take.

1995 was tough because I thought beating the Knicks in 7 in the second round took a lot out of us and we almost gave the first games away in orllando and never really recovered.
    Buck , I feel ya man

That game 6 at home vs Orlando in the confrence finals had me on freakin major depression mode

I thought for sure it was are year and felt whole heartedly we could have beat Houston or at the very least gave them a heck of a run for their money

Felt the pacers were the better team in both of those series.
    Sittin on top of the world!

Knickc rivalry has more history because we played them more in the playoffs than the Bulls. In today's NBA, the Bulls one is more intensified because both teams are similar and know each other very well
    Smothered Chicken!

Honestly, the Pacers v Knicks rivalry probably gets overshadowed primarily because at no point did it ever end with a championship, for either team.
    Last edited by Wage; 04-12-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: SPleeling iz h4rd!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    Guys help me out...How was the Bulls vs Knicks rivalry better than the Pacers vs Knicks rivalry? I remember both, but without being a homer, I don't see it? The Knicks got swept 5 times out of the seven with only 1 ECF meet up vs the Pacers even break of 3-3 playoff wins with 3 EFC meet ups Knicks 2 to Pacers 1?
    Who said it was better? Bulls fans?
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

It's not better, just... different.

There's so much more to these rivalries than just on the court. Hicks vs. Knicks was a morality play, wholesome midwestern sensibilities vs. them city slickers who can't spare a minute of their time on courtesy. It was two areas that fully believed they were the "home" of basketball. Passing vs. dribbling, layups vs. jumpshots. Defense was still defense, though, because that was pretty unanimous which way was the style that worked.

The Bulls vs. the Knicks is all about city. Chicago vs. New York City. A metropolis all it's own fighting the "second city" moniker, believing it was just as much the embodiment of the American Spirit and American culture as the "Big Brothers" on the doorstep of this country.

This is what I believe is missing from the game now, the romance of the rivalries. Now, rivalries are only about who is standing in your way to the ring. Miami-Boston is a rivalry not because of location or cultural differences. Lakers-Boston has been dubbed the rivalry of the league due to the number of rings each team has won. Sure, those matchups created high drama, but there's not a Packers-Bears Browns-Steelers fight for bragging rights regardless of team quality. The mentality of "it don't mean a thing if it don't end in a ring".

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post: