• Yes

30 33.33%
  • No

60 66.67%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the NBA rigged???

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

....so Larry Bird was going to price his way out of Indiana? Mr. "the only place I'd rather be is French Lick?" This was the logic they used to pass on him?

They didn't even stop to consider that just maybe their increase in profits would outpace his salary?

If that's not the definition of stupid, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ....so Larry Bird was going to price his way out of Indiana? Mr. "the only place I'd rather be is French Lick?" This was the logic they used to pass on him?

They didn't even stop to consider that just maybe their increase in profits would outpace his salary?

If that's not the definition of stupid, I don't know what is.
    I believe they did have a conversation with Larry about coming here. However, the ABA teams where kind of put at a disadvantage from the get go in the NBA. Larry had to take as much money as possible.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If things are rigged than why does the best team always win the championship. I cannot remember when the best team hasn't won.
    The Kings had the best team in 2002. You could also put up a valid argument for the '06 Mavs and possibly even the '99 Pacers.

And how come we have never had a Kobe vs Lebron NBA Finals - a lot of people would love to see that.
    Wait for it...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    I agree with your overall points Kstat but I will add that in the modern era, free agency is quite a bit more important than you are giving credit for. Draft is definitely the most important factor, but let's look at the major contributors to championship teams going back to 2000:

2012 Heat - Wade (drafted), Lebron (FA), Bosh (FA)
    2011 Mavs - Dirk (trade); Chandler (trade), Terry (trade), Kidd (trade)
    2010 Lakers - Kobe (draft), MWP (FA?), Gasol (trade), Odom (trade), Fisher (FA), Bynum (draft)
    2009 Lakers - Kobe (draft), Gasol (trade), Odom (trade), Fisher (FA), Bynum (draft)
    2008 Celtics - Pierce (draft), Garnett (trade), Rondo (draft), Allen (trade)
    2007 Spurs - Duncan (draft), Ginobili (draft or FA? can't remember), Parker (draft)
    2006 Heat - Wade (draft), Shaq (trade), Payton (FA?), Mourning (FA?)
    2005 Spurs - Duncan (draft), Ginobili (draft or FA? can't remember), Parker (draft)
    2004 Pistons - R. Wallace (trade?), B. Wallace (trade), Prince (draft), Billups (FA), Hamilton (trade)
    2003 Spurs - Duncan (draft), Robinson (draft), S. Jackson (FA?), Kerr (trade), Parker (draft)
    2002 Lakers - Kobe (draft), Shaq (FA), Fisher (draft), Horry (trade)
    2001 Lakers - Kobe (draft), Shaq (FA), Fisher (draft), Horry (trade)
    2000 Lakers - Kobe (draft), Shaq (FA), Fisher (draft), Horry (trade)

Kobe, Duncan and Wade were drafted and became Finals MVPs. Most of the rest acquired by trade or free agency.

And clearly some franchises have an advantage getting free agents and top players often have a lot of say in where they get traded to. Doesn't make it a conspiracy obviously, but it's certainly a factor. Quality of the front office matter a LOT but also things like how desirable the market is for players, how much $ the team can spend (size of market), etc. are factors.

Let's not pretend that every franchise/market has an exact equal fair shake at a championship.

EDIT: I'm sure there are a few errors in my list, it's not scientific, but I think the overall point stands
    Also of particular note is that the only small market team to win a championship (the Spurs) had to lean heavily on draft quality compared to the other champions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Terrible officiating? Yes.

Calls given to superstars and 'media darling' teams? Yes.

Advantages to certain markets over others? Yes.

Rigged? No.

Just life.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

I think the question becomes whether the "terrible" officiating is due to honest human error or premeditated bias.

One missed call here or there? Sure, probably just human error. A consistent stream of missed calls, heavily favoring one team over another? That's probably a different story.

And then there are the calls that aren't even close, but yet are missed by all three people with the best view on the court...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I think the question becomes whether the "terrible" officiating is due to honest human error or premeditated bias.

One missed call here or there? Sure, probably just human error. A consistent stream of missed calls, heavily favoring one team over another? That's probably a different story.
    The closest I will go to saying the NBA is "rigged" is admitting that I personally tend to think that it's a little bit of both in many cases.

Lots of human error, but to say there is NO premeditated bias is really, REALLY difficult when you've seen as many NBA games as most of us have.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

I can't believe some people would be surprised that the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc are all getting fixed in some way. May not be rigged because you can only control and dictate so much, but really people? This isn't just sports or entertainment anymore, its a mother ****ing business. Plain and simple. Remember the ref who got caught fixing calls because he put bets down on the games that he called? He even tried exposing some other in the NBA, but they shut him up real quick and people called him crazy as well. REALLY THOUGH? You think he is the only one? That to me is a bit far fetched, but again I may agree with what someone else said.....rigged may be to strong of a word.
    Last edited by DJVendetta; 04-05-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The Kings had the best team in 2002. You could also put up a valid argument for the '06 Mavs and possibly even the '99 Pacers.

Wait for it...
    yeah I got to agree with you here about the 06 Mavs. Even my friends who are all Heat fans said there was no way and no reason the Heat should have won that championship. I'll give Dwayne credit for playing outrageously good, but I still have suspicions about that damn series.

Mood

I do believe that some teams and players get the consistent benefit of the whistle. Mostly in the direction of big market teams. To that end I believe the league is rigged.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not saying that the NBA is rigged, but there's plenty of situations where this has actually happened in professional sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_fixing

Donaghy admitted to betting on games he officiated, but since he didn't say he influenced the outcome himself, he obviously didn't cause he's such a man if his word.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

For the Heat, yes. Everyone else, no
    "We want Miami"

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

The NBA game is like life. Not really rigged, but certainly not fair.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The NBA game is like life. Not really rigged, but certainly not fair.
    How could life be rigged?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Yes, the NBA is rigged.

This series summarizes that:

Kings got screwed!

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Future For This Useful Post:

Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Final absolutely was rigged. The Lakers shot 27 FTs in just the fourth quarter. Biggest travesty I have ever witnessed in sports.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

If Donaghy could rig games and no alarms went off then it's fairly obvious that bad calls are accepted in the nba. Well it is then not far fetched to believe that some of these bad calls are on purpose for a variety of reasons already stated in this thread.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Rigging isn't a good description. A better description is faux competition where the league tries to pretend the stacked teams like the Heat and the sad teams like the Bobcats are actually worth watching.

It is indeed "rigged", and sometimes I ask myself why I even bother to watch the NBA. You can look as recently as last year in the playoffs watching the two Pacers series. The Magic series and the Heat series were officiated COMPLETELY differently. We were defending Orlando aggressively, particularly in the paint, and we would rarely get called for fouls. Now against Miami, every time Lebron or Wade would go inside, a foul was called.
    David "And One" West

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Mood

A better question is: Is the NBA Bias? I believe the answer to that is yes. It is biased towards super stars and big market teams. Is it rigged? Certainly not in the sense that WWE is rigged. Are there refs, league admins, owners, etc that look out for themselves instead of the integrity of the game? Certainly. But you are going to get that in ANY professional sport. To think that it doesn't happen is naive. Hell, Tim Donaghy wasn't that long ago... The NBA front office is a joke. They handle fines and suspensions with a bias that is beyond suspicion and I would be surprised if there wasn't pressure on the referees come play off time in one form or another. I do not think that the league prioritizes integrity in the same way that the NFL does. That does not mean that the NBA is "rigged" to the point that this poll suggests.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post
    I can't believe some people would be surprised that the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc are all getting fixed in some way. May not be rigged because you can only control and dictate so much, but really people? This isn't just sports or entertainment anymore, its a mother ****ing business. Plain and simple. Remember the ref who got caught fixing calls because he put bets down on the games that he called? He even tried exposing some other in the NBA, but they shut him up real quick and people called him crazy as well. REALLY THOUGH? You think he is the only one? That to me is a bit far fetched, but again I may agree with what someone else said.....rigged may be to strong of a word.

They shut him up so quick he was able to write a book and go on countless number of media outlets. And the FBI did a complete investigation.

They shut him up so quick he was able to write a book and go on countless number of media outlets. And the FBI did a complete investigation.
    I'm pretty sure the NBA told the original publishing company he was with that they would sue if the published his book. So they've made attempts to silence him.

EDIT: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4603209
    Last edited by rock747; 04-05-2013 at 11:49 PM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

The FBI found nothing.

Apparently, the NBA>FBI.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sean Miller?
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...-last-night%29

why would NBA do it. Wouldn't the risk not be worth the reward. I mean if the "truth" ever really came out the NBA would be finished - wouldn't it? Billions of dollars would be gone.
    The NBA is entertainment, like Broadway, they can do whatever the hell they want.

Now if you mean sponsors may run....well yeah I agree. But I dont think they would lose billions of dollars. Just my .02