30 33.33%
  • No

60 66.67%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the NBA rigged???

Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why would NBA do it. Wouldn't the risk not be worth the reward. I mean if the "truth" ever really came out the NBA would be finished - wouldn't it? Billions of dollars would be gone.
    When Donaghy came forward and explained that we'd be watching a tainted product it didn't slow down the NBA at all, so apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    They didn't suffer that much from Tim's gambling addiction.
    because he gambled on games in which he had inside informaiton. That is a far cry from a ref changing the outcome of a game.

A lot of the refs hate the NBA. How many strikes or lockouts have their been. How many refs have been fired or pushed out of the league. The relationship between the NBA and its refs is not very good. so I don't see why the refs would do what the NBA wants them to do. They have their own union
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.

why would NBA do it. Wouldn't the risk not be worth the reward. I mean if the "truth" ever really came out the NBA would be finished - wouldn't it? Billions of dollars would be gone.
    It wouldn't come out. The NBA is a powerful entity. Plus, the accusation isn't that NBA blatantly "rigs" games, but that the officials know to officiate games in certain ways. There are certain nuances in NBA officiating. How else could Tim Donahgy be right on 80% of the games he bet on?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    Dude, I'm the least conspiracy theorist you will find, and I never once mentioned the draft being fixed. Yes, the Pacers could have drafted Kobe, but could they have recruited Shaq? You are only focusing on the draft, and in my opinion the draft is only half of it. Did LeBron win a ring where he was drafted, or did he win one where he fled as a FA?
    Also, the Hornets drafted Kobe. How many championships did he bring them? The players know how the system works.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post
    When Donaghy came forward and explained that we'd be watching a tainted product it didn't slow down the NBA at all, so apparently not.
    This only implicates Donaghy as a cheater though, there's no real reason to believe the NBA encouraged his shady-ness.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dude, I'm the least conspiracy theorist you will find, and I never once mentioned the draft being fixed. Yes, the Pacers could have drafted Kobe, but could they have recruited Shaq? You are only focusing on the draft, and in my opinion the draft is only half of it. Did LeBron win a ring where he was drafted, or did he win one where he fled as a FA?
    Shaq accounted for three of LA's 11 championships. Kobe win 2 more without him, and it's arguable that shaq would not have won any championships without Kobe to begin with.

You cannot with a straight face tell me that the draft is only half of it when The five greatest winners in nba history (Duncan, Russell, Jordan, Bird, Bryant) were draft picks.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Also, the Hornets drafted Kobe. How many championships did he bring them? The players know how the system works.
    I've pointed that out myself. Jerry west was the only GM that thought highly enough of Kobe to trade for him on draft day. And he got him 13th.

Kobe wasn't seen by everyone as a can't-miss superstar. Only Jerry west saw that in him. I guess that was rigged, too.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-05-2013 at 04:21 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post
    In every other sport you see cinderella teams make runs and win championships (even in basketball at other levels). This virtually never happens in the NBA. You (almost) never see a random 6 seed get hot and win a championship.
    No.

Cinderella situations basically happen in sports with single-game, single-elimination playoffs. NCAA basketball. NFL football. World Cup soccer.

You don't see this in the NBA (or MLB or NHL) because teams have to win 4 games out of 7 against their opponent. It's much easier for an underdog to get hot for one game when their opponent has a bad game, but not in a series where the other team can make adjustments etc.

Even then, there are occasional upsets. 8th-seeded Warriors took out the Mavs a few years ago when Dallas had the MVP. 8th-seeded Knicks made it all the way to the Finals one year (98?). Heck you could argue that the Pacers went on a "Cinderella run" of sorts in 1994. So it does happen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

because he gambled on games in which he had inside informaiton. That is a far cry from a ref changing the outcome of a game.
    Wouldn't knowing that he is scheduled to ref a certain game be "inside information"? Do we have specific examples of this information? I'll admit my memory of it all is a little fuzzy.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

If you voted yes, why do you follow the NBA?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Kstat, let me ask you a few questions. Do you believe stars are given preferential treatment? Do you believe LeBron can really go 6 games without a foul? Do you believe the Kings/Lakers game 6 was influenced by the refs? Do you believe in make-up calls? Do you believe DWade can barrel his way down the lane to the tune of 21 free throws against 23 awarded to the entire Dallas team? All of this is why I think the NBA is rigged to a degree.

I should have not mentioned that half the titles have been won by two teams, because as has been pointed out, there were less teams then and more room for dynasties. I can concede that. But that really was the least of my argument, which you want to focus on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I've pointed that out myself. Jerry west was the only GM that thought highly enough of Kobe to trade for him on draft day. And he got him 13th.

Kobe wasn't seen by everyone as a can't-miss superstar. Only Jerry west saw that in him.
    But he refused to play for the Hornets. Players know small market teams have very little success in the NBA. I have even talked to a former prominent pacer player who have iterated this stance to me. Those Pacer teams in the 90s definitely believed that the officiating was anything but fair.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Donaghy never admitted to fixing nba games. He simply accused envy one else of fixing them to sell a book.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.

But he refused to play for the Hornets. Players know small market teams have very little success in the NBA. I have even talked to a former prominent pacer player who have iterated this stance to me. Those Pacer teams in the 90s definitely believed that the officiating was anything but fair.
    ...which is the lamest, most hilarious excuse ever.

Kobe was an 18 year old kid. If the hornets top really thought he was that good, they would have kept him, and he would have played for them. He wouldn't have turned down millions of dollars because he wanted to be a laker.

Is the FBI ij on it too, they did an investigation. And I don't think they side with the star players or big markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I didn't vote, but no one knows for sure what's going on. I think that conspiracy has become part of the game in the NBA. That's why people boo stern and speculate whenever he goes on a defensive tirade when asked about anything being manipulated. I think most fans (and media members) speculate the extent to which the NBA has a hand in game manipulation and that has almost become part of the "fun".

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HickeyS2000; 04-05-2013 at 04:27 PM.

...which is the lamest, most hilarious excuse ever.

Kobe was an 18 year old kid. If the hornets top really thought he was that good, they would have kept him, and he would have played for them. He wouldn't have turned down millions of dollars because he wanted to be a laker.
    Wait, what is the lamest, most hilarious excuse ever?

I always thought it was for endorsement opportunities in the big markets. or career opportunities for their wife in cities like LA, NY. Never thought it was because small market teams have very little success.

Spurs, Jazz, Pacers, OKC, Blazers, Magic, all have had a lot of success. all have been to the NBA finals at least once. All are small markets.

I always thought it was for endorsement opportunities in the big markets. or career opportunities for their wife in cities like LA, NY. Never thought it was because small market teams have very little success.

Spurs, Jazz, Pacers, OKC, Blazers, Magic, all have had a lot of success. all have been to the NBA finals at least once. All are small markets.
    Undoubtedly endorsements have something to do with it. They've had success, but comparatively to the large markets there success is very marginal.

So you think he'd use his inside position to break federal law and profit off of his inside information, but he's morally/ethically upright enough not to manipulate the games he bet on that he's also officiating?

That's some confidence you have in a convicted felon.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I can't believe so many people think the Pacers are on a level-playing field and have the same opportunities as teams such as LA, Boston, NY and Chicago.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Kstat, let me ask you a few questions. Do you believe stars are given preferential treatment? Do you believe LeBron can really go 6 games without a foul? Do you believe the Kings/Lakers game 6 was influenced by the refs? Do you believe in make-up calls? Do you believe DWade can barrel his way down the lane to the tune of 21 free throws against 23 awarded to the entire Dallas team? All of this is why I think the NBA is rigged to a degree.

I should have not mentioned that half the titles have been won by two teams, because as has been pointed out, there were less teams then and more room for dynasties. I can concede that. But that really was the least of my argument, which you want to focus on.
    I think refs have bad games. They're human. When a player misses a layup, we call its. Mistake. When a ref blows a call, we call it bias.

Reggie miller, by his own admission, got away with countless offensive fouls and drew countless ones he didn't deserve because he understood that and knew how to trick them. It wasn't because the refs were trying to make him look good.

I think nobody tries to attack lebron defensively, he's far more likely to commit an offensive foul than a defensive one.

I think the 2006 finals were a backlash from the 2005 finals where fans *****ed and whined that there was too much physical play, so they went into that series saying "lets call everything."

I think the 2002 lakers/kings game 6 was the single worst officiated game I've ever seen. And the kings still had a chance to bury LA in game 7 and couldn't knock down a free throw. Refs had nothing to do with them losing that series.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-05-2013 at 04:35 PM.

I think refs have bad games. They're human. When a player misses a layup, we call its. Mistake. When a ref blows a call, we call it bias.

Reggie miller, by his own admission, got away with countless offensive fouls and drew countless ones he didn't deserve because he sneer stood that and knew how to trick them. It wasn't because the refs were trying to make him look good.

I think nobody tries to attack lebron defensively, he's far more likely to commit an offensive foul than a defensive one.

I think the 2006 finals were a backlash from the 2005 finals where fans *****ed and whined that there was too much physical play, so they went into that series saying "lets call everything."

I think the 2002 lakers/kings game 6 was the single worst officiated game I've ever seen. And the kings still had a chance to bury LA in game 7 and couldn't knock down a free throw. Refs had nothing to do with them losing that series.
    Fair enough. You call me a conspiracy theorist, I'll call you naive.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Wait, what is the lamest, most hilarious excuse ever?
    Because anyone who believes Kobe Bryant at age 18 would rather not play in the nba and make millions, rather than play for a team other than the lakers, is fooling themselves.