View Poll Results: Is the NBA rigged?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 33.33%
  • No

    60 66.67%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 442

Thread: Is the NBA rigged???

  1. #51
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Who is the league going to help win tonight between OKC and the Pacers.

    Pacers have the bigger market, but OKC has the star players. Maybe the NBA wants OKC to have the home court over the Spurs so the Spours don't make it into the NBA Finals. So NBA is probably going to help OKC tonight.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-05-2013 at 03:40 PM.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it happens in the Pac-12 with Ed Rush, I'll just assume it's likely it happens in the NBA as well.
    Rigged may be the wrong word. Ed Rush didn't "rig" games. He just manipulated them by putting a bounty on Sean Miller.

  3. #53
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Sean Miller?

  4. #54

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is the league going to help win tonight between OKC and the Pacers.

    Pacers have the bigger market, but OKC has the star players. Maybe the NBA wants OKC to have the home court over the Spurs so the Spours don't make it into the NBA Finals. So NBA is probably going to help OKC tonight.
    I don't think the NBA would care who wins the game tonight.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  6. #55
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the NBA would care who wins the game tonight.
    Oh, so this game is on the up and up.

  7. #56
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,924

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You used the one example where the pacers do have the same resource, the draft. You forgot to mention things such as local media revenue, taking on salary in lopsided trades, going over luxury tax, and things that are important to free agents, such as the hollywood lifestyle, living on a coast, warm weather and income tax free states.
    Oh, just the draft? You mean, the thing that's more important than everything else combined?

    I just named you the five winningest centerpieces behind the two greatest teams you think won so many championships behind rigged circumstances (six if you want to include Mikan).

    All five were draft picks. Only one of them (Magic) was the #1 overall pick. Guess what that means? Other teams had the opportunity to acquire those players, and passed on them.

    Five teams passed on Larry Bird in 1978. Guess who one of those teams was....the PACERS!

    Twelve teams passed on Kobe Bryant in 1996. Guess who was one of those 12....the PACERS! Sensing a theme here?

    The Indiana Pacers could have had Bird. They could have had Jordan. They could have had Kobe freaking Byrant. You cant bury that away in denial.

    Want to know another secret? Russell, Hondo and Bird were acquired by the SAME GM. Same with Magic and Kobe.

    It took the Celtics over 20 years to get back to the finals without Red Auerbach. They didn't even make the playoffs half of those years.

    Did Auerbach take the "rigging" with him when he left?
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.

  8. #57

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the NBA would care who wins the game tonight.
    Yup. They aren't concerned about the outcome of every single regular season game. It's more about particular playoff matchups. I don't know how people who were around to see Lakers-Kings or Bucks-Sixers can keep a straight face while saying that this isn't the case.

  9. #58
    Brian Mac_Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    University Heights
    Age
    27
    Posts
    569
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Anytime any team loses, there's always a good amount of fans that will claim refball. Even if the team loses by 30. Pretty much every sport as well.


  10. #59

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, so this game is on the up and up.
    Yeah, most likely. Why does it have to be all or nothing!? Either every game is completely rigged, or none are at all. You've created a false choice fallacy. This happens on the internet constantly. People have seemingly completely forgotten the concept of middle ground. That's why such a strong word like "rigged" has to be used in the first place in these discussions.

  11. #60
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,924

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    there is no middle ground. Either the game is rigged or it isn't. It can't be "kinda sorta rigged."

  12. #61

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, so this game is on the up and up.
    ? The NBA, being a business, looks out for it's business interests. The outcome of this game really would have no influence on business interests in any way. Big market teams advancing through the playoffs and making the playoffs have major affects on viewership. Top name stars not fouling out of games also is in the best interest of the NBA.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  14. #62
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, most likely. Why does it have to be all or nothing!? Either every game is completely rigged, or none are at all. You've created a false choice fallacy. This happens on the internet constantly. People have seemingly completely forgotten the concept of middle ground. That's why such a strong word like "rigged" has to be used in the first place in these discussions.

    I'm just asking questions, trying to learn.

    How much of a middle ground can there be here. Either NBA through their refs tries to influence the outcome of games or they don't. I thought that was the issue at hand here.

  15. #63

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    there is no middle ground. Either the game is rigged or it isn't. It can't be "kinda sorta rigged."
    The argument is that rigged has a connotation that doesn't accurately describe some people's thoughts on the matter.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  17. #64
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    844

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, just the draft? You mean, the thing that's more important than everything else combined?

    I just named you the five winningest centerpieces behind the two greatest teams you think won so many championships behind rigged circumstances (six if you want to include Mikan).

    All five were draft picks. Only one of them (Magic) was the #1 overall pick. Guess what that means? Other teams had the opportunity to acquire those players, and passed on them.

    Five teams passed on Larry Bird in 1978. Guess who one of those teams was....the PACERS!

    Twelve teams passed on Kobe Bryant in 1996. Guess who was one of those 12....the PACERS! Sensing a theme here?

    The Indiana Pacers could have had Bird. They could have had Jordan. They could have had Kobe freaking Byrant. You cant bury that away in denial.

    Want to know another secret? Russell, Hondo and Bird were acquired by the SAME GM. Same with Magic and Kobe.

    It took the Celtics over 20 years to get back to the finals without Red Auerbach. They didn't even make the playoffs half of those years.

    Did Auerbach take the "rigging" with him when he left?
    It's hard to argue with someone that edits every post they make. I go to respond to you, and the quotes just keep changing. You obviously have some emotional investment in this, like someone telling you santa isn't real. I will continue to believe the NBA affects aspects of the game they shouldn't, and you keep believing my love for the Pacers has made me blind to how bad the pacers have drafted, because that obviously makes everything I have said to this point wrong.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:


  19. #65
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The argument is that rigged has a connotation that doesn't accurately describe some people's thoughts on the matter.
    OK how about NBA tries to influence through their referees the outcome of certain NBA games. Isn't that what is believed by some?

  20. #66
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,354

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    I do believe that the Donaghy scandal involved some result-fixing. However, I don't believe it was league wide and once Donaghy lost his job things went back to "normal" or whatever you call it when a ref betting on games no longer has an influence on the outcome.

  21. #67

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK how about NBA tries to influence through their referees the outcome of certain NBA games. Isn't that what is believed by some?
    Yeah, I think people wonder whether they just try to maximize profit by giving some players and teams an advantage. I think a lot of people take this stance, including members of the media.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  22. #68

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    there is no middle ground. Either the game is rigged or it isn't. It can't be "kinda sorta rigged."
    What do you mean? Are you kidding!? There's tons of middle ground! The game could be anywhere from a little rigged (go easy on LeBron and Kobe) to very rigged (make sure the Lakers win at all costs!). Also, 100% of the games could be rigged, or one or two games per season could be rigged. How could you possibly argue that there's no room for middle ground? O_o

  23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LongTimePacerFan For This Useful Post:


  24. #69
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,924

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's hard to argue with someone that edits every post they make. I go to respond to you, and the quotes just keep changing. You obviously have some emotional investment in this, like someone telling you santa isn't real. I will continue to believe the NBA affects aspects of the game they shouldn't, and you keep believing my love for the Pacers has made me blind to how bad the pacers have drafted, because that obviously makes everything I have said to this point wrong.
    I'm not invested in this. I'm having fun. I do this about once a year.

    Conspiracy theorists are priceless when you ask them to address the facts.

    You said the pacers have almost no chance of winning, and said LA and Boston winning more than half the titles (which is untrue, by the way) is obviously shady.

    I've boiled your argument down to two men that drafted five players that won a combined 26 championships, and the pacers passed on TWO of them.

    Had the pacers drafted bird or Kobe, they would have taken a chunk of those championships away from the lakers and celtics. In addition, had they not flushed their 1984 pick down the toilet, they could have drafted the greatest player f all time and started a dynasty of their own.

    You have no response to this. We both know it, but by all means, keep talking about tax free income and weather, because as we know, the nba has total control over those...

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  25. #70
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    844

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK how about NBA tries to influence through their referees the outcome of certain NBA games. Isn't that what is believed by some?
    Yes, I believe they have. And the two instances that finalized this thought in my head was Kings/Lakers and Mavs/Heat.

    But it's not just certain games, it's every game. It even happens for the Pacers. Let's say Hibbert has 5 fouls and the opposing PG drives into the lane and makes contact with Hibbert. More than likely, they will give the foul to another player if he is remotely in the area, to avoid fouling out Hibbert. It's even more biased towards the real superstars. Take this over 82 games + playoffs, and it starts to become quite an influence. It's things like this that go against the integrity of the game, and where my "rigged" belief comes from. I 100% agree they do not pre-determine outcomes. It comes down to the sponsors of the NBA wanting the stars on the court, which is fine. But let's not act like the reffing is 100% unbiased, because it's not. And that's where my view comes from.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:


  27. #71
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    why would NBA do it. Wouldn't the risk not be worth the reward. I mean if the "truth" ever really came out the NBA would be finished - wouldn't it? Billions of dollars would be gone.

  28. #72

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just asking questions, trying to learn.

    How much of a middle ground can there be here. Either NBA through their refs tries to influence the outcome of games or they don't. I thought that was the issue at hand here.
    That is the issue. I wouldn't profess to know the degree to which games are influenced, or how often it takes place. I would say almost without any doubt that is does happen. I'm not sure whether officials have been instructed to give the Lakers favorable calls to get them into the postseason this year, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me one bit.

  29. #73
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,354

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why would NBA do it. Wouldn't the risk not be worth the reward. I mean if the "truth" ever really came out the NBA would be finished - wouldn't it? Billions of dollars would be gone.
    They didn't suffer that much from Tim's gambling addiction.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:


  31. #74

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not invested in this. I'm having fun. I do this about once a year.

    Conspiracy theorists are priceless when you ask them to address the facts.

    You said the pacers have almost no chance of winning, and said LA and Boston winning more than half the titles is obviously shady.

    I've boiled your argument down to two men that drafted five players that won a combined 26 championships, and the pacers passed on TWO of them.

    Had the pacers drafted bird or Kobe, they would have taken a chunk of those championships away from the lakers and celtics. In addition, had they not flushed their 1984 pick down the toilet, they could have drafted the greatest player f all time and started a dynasty of their own.

    You have no response to this. We both know it, but by all means, keep talking about tax free income and weather, because as we know, the nba has total control over those...
    You are missing the entire point. It has nothing to do with who gets drafted where. Your stance is very confusing.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  33. #75
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    844

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not invested in this. I'm having fun. I do this about once a year.

    Conspiracy theorists are priceless when you ask them to address the facts.

    You said the pacers have almost no chance of winning, and said LA and Boston winning more than half the titles (which is untrue, by the way) is obviously shady.

    I've boiled your argument down to two men that drafted five players that won a combined 26 championships, and the pacers passed on TWO of them.

    Had the pacers drafted bird or Kobe, they would have taken a chunk of those championships away from the lakers and celtics. In addition, had they not flushed their 1984 pick down the toilet, they could have drafted the greatest player f all time and started a dynasty of their own.

    You have no response to this. We both know it, but by all means, keep talking about tax free income and weather, because as we know, the nba has total control over those...
    Dude, I'm the least conspiracy theorist you will find, and I never once mentioned the draft being fixed. Yes, the Pacers could have drafted Kobe, but could they have recruited Shaq? You are only focusing on the draft, and in my opinion the draft is only half of it. Did LeBron win a ring where he was drafted, or did he win one where he fled as a FA?

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Wolves GM David Kahn Implies the Draft Lottery is Rigged
    By Jared Sullinger in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •