60 66.67%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the NBA rigged???

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Is the NBA rigged???

I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Is the NBA rigged???

Do they only rig Laker games? or do they rig every game? I'd like to know so I don't waste my time watching the rigged games.

At least I am glad this very carefully edited video proves it conclusively. I don't have to waste my time anymore

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think rigged is too strong of a word. That suggests the outcomes are predetermined, which defiantly is not the case.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Depends on how you define rigged....
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do they only rig Laker games? or do they rig every game? I'd like to know so I don't waste my time watching the rigged games.

At least I am glad this very carefully edited video proves it conclusively. I don't have to waste my time anymore
    My response is not based off the video... It's based on seeing it too many times for too many years... And yes... This presumption about the NBA is why a lot of basketball fans don't follow the NBA...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    My response is not based off the video... It's based on seeing it too many times for too many years... And yes... This presumption about the NBA is why a lot of basketball fans don't follow the NBA...
    What do you see so many times. Bad calls? Sure. Does that mean it's rigged - hardly. But OK, who all is in on it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I automatically think every game my team loses is rigged. It beats having to admit my team just wasn't good enough.

Of course, I'll always come back and keep watching my team play, while simultaneously professing how everything is rigged and never ever explain why I'm still watching.

Keep in mind, everything is only rigged when we lose. When we win, everything is totally on the up and up.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-05-2013 at 01:45 PM.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually rigged? That is (hopefully) pretty harsh.

I think the officiating has a "keep it close" mode, a "huge comeback" mode where the team with momentum is given heavy benefit of the doubt on both ends of the floor during their run, and possibly a "storyline enhancement" mode. I also think that the superstar treatment is a "performance enhancement" mode to make them more marketable, either as villains or heroes.

Is there a "standings enhancement" mode as well wherein big market teams with superstar talent are given an advantage so that their larger fanbases have a winning / dominant team to actively follow, root for, identify with, and spend money on? Potentially, but not quite as obviously in my opinion.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Every time I hear someone call the NBA "rigged" this goes through my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

I hope nobody is actually crazy enough to think that the NBA is literally rigged. That is, that the whole thing is a charade, and the outcomes are decided in advance. That's not even a possibility unless you believe everyone (refs, players, coaches, etc.) are in on it. I would really like for that word to be banned from the lexicon of NBA fans. If you want to talk about whether the NBA is "manipulated" in certain ways, then we can talk. I certainly think it's possible, maybe likely, that the refs have been instructed to be generous to the Lakers and hard on the Mavs and Jazz. After all, the Lakers in the first round means way more money for the league. So are games manipulated by the league? Quite possibly. Are the games "rigged"? NO!!

Now, if you want to talk about things that could really be rigged, we could talk about the draft lottery....

....which, again, would only be possible if the entire league was in on it...given that every team with a stake in the lottery has a representative present when the numbers are drawn.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Can there be a place between "rigged" and "shady"?

I think there are biases, which are human nature.

I think there are blown calls, which are human nature.

I think some times those two multiply out and that can cause frustrations.

I've heard feakin' Bulls fans complaining about conspiracy theories this year. Never thought that would happen from a big market team.

Is perception reality? No. I'd quit watching a long time ago if I really believed that. But I can also get frustrated with specific instances.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Banned

I believe you can make a similar video about every team in the league, I guess the NBA wanted the Pacers to win against Golden State last year when Hill clearly kicked the ball and stole it to make the game winner layup.

My first thought when I saw this title was Kstat would be in this thread

My second thought was that this is done every couple of months/years.

My answer is the same, is it WWE rigged, no. Are there a lot of biases and possible rogue people (such as Tim D the referee), yes, in my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ....which, again, would only be possible if the entire league was in on it...given that every team with a stake in the lottery has a representative present when the numbers are drawn.
    Touche! Although I'm sure there would be a way to rig those ping pong balls regardless of how many representatives show up. David Stern is a clever man.

Just to add to above post:

Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

Who all is in on the rig, or is it only one person?

In what world is "manipulating" a game not the same as "rigging" a game? Are we really splitting hairs on the "strength" of a word? I believe the NBA referees manipulate games, which to me, means they can be and sometimes are rigged. Of course the outcome is not pre-determined, but favoring one player or team during the course of a game is rigging the outcome. I know many of you on this board feel the NBA tries to be a fair league, which is fine. But when 2 teams win over 50% of the total championships, something has to be up. You keep closing your eyes and enjoying and I'll keep watching only Pacers games and ignore the rest of the league. We all win.

And yes, it is hard to follow a team you know has little-to-no chance of ever winning a championship. Damn you Reggie Miller.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

I don't know about current NBA, but the original draft lottery (1985) has always looked incredibly shady to me. We've went over this before, of course, but no one presented an argument that swayed my opinion. I doubt anyone will this time, either.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Just to add to above post:

Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

Who all is in on the rig, or is it only one person?
    Ask Mark Cuban. When an NBA owner is questioning the fairness of the NBA to the point they have to create a non-NBA affiliated company and hire retired officials to oversee current officials, there might be an issue. As we see more and more passionate owners like Cuban buy up teams, I think it can only get better.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Of course Cuban thinks the nba is rigged. That's why he owns a team and pours hundreds of millions of dollars into it. Cuban is well known for throwing his money into futile investments.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-05-2013 at 02:25 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    You keep closing your eyes and enjoying and I'll keep watching only Pacers games and ignore the rest of the league. We all win.
    ....so, when the other team has the ball, do you change the channel? Cover your eyes? Do you only watch open practices and not games? I'd love to know how this works.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

....so, when the other team has the ball, do you change the channel? Cover your eyes? Do you only watch open practices and nit games? I'd love to know how this works.
    Are you really this clueless, or can you not read. Pacers GAMES, as stated, include two teams. Thanks for trying to be a smart *** though.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Are you really this clueless, or can you not read. Pacers GAMES, as stated, include two teams. Thanks for trying to be a smart *** though.
    You do realize the pacers can't play by themselves...another nba team is on the floor with them. You cannot say "I ignore all the other teams" when the pacers can't play without another team on the floor.

Out of curiosity, do you think the nba conspired to force the pacers to trade their 1984 draft pick for Tom Owens? I mean, when you say the pacers have "little to no chance of we've winning a championship," you must believe that, right?
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Ask Mark Cuban. When an NBA owner is questioning the fairness of the NBA to the point they have to create a non-NBA affiliated company and hire retired officials to oversee current officials, there
    might be an issue. As we see more and more passionate owners like Cuban buy up teams, I think it can only get better.
    I am a HUGE Cuban fan, even shared emails with him.

Please note Cuban does not believe the NBA is rigged (I just agreed with Kstat. I need to shower).

Does he think there are terrible mistakes and biases that are unnacceptable and should not be biased? Sure, and I think he is right to speak up. Just as I think the NBA is within theirs rights to fine him.

If Cuban thought the NBA was rigged he would not own Dallas and spend hundreds of millions of dollars into them (maybe billions?)

PS. I think the changes the NBA made because of Cuban were great. and I will ALWAYS questions Kings - Lakers game 6

Please also note how after Dallas won the NBA finals Cuban get real quiet. Like Kstat said (here I go again) winning cures most theories.....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

You do realize the pacers can't play by themselves...another nba team is on the floor with them. You cannot say "I ignore all the other teams" when the pacers can't play without another team on the floor.
    Bull. You can do this.

Not every fan of an NBA team is a fan of the entire league. I used to keep track of more of the entire league. Now I don't. Other than the fact that some other team has to show up and play against the Pacers does not require me to pay attention to them. I can't even name the other 29 coaches right now and I don't care.

And if the Pacers don't make it to The Finals, I probably won't be watching, or at best it will be casually. I saw parts of several NBA Finals games last year, but I didn't sit down to watch them because the Pacers weren't playing and I just don't care about any of the other teams. Except perhaps wherever Chuck Person is currently employed, but that's not enough to tune in and watch him be an assistant coach. I might have a slightly higher chance to tune in if the Spurs are playing, but that still wouldn't prompt me to set my schedule around it.

Here's another hint, since IU is out I'm pretty sure college basketball ended last weekend, so I may not be tuned into any of those games that are allegedly happening this weekend.

I'm also not sure there was an NFL playoffs this season, given that the Steelers weren't invited.

But make no mistake, I'm still a Pacers/ Hoosiers/ Steelers fan and follow them closely.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

There a difference with having disinterest and protesting the rest of the league out of spite. It's hilarious that anyone could say they support one team but refuses to support the league. The team a art of the league, so by extension, when you support one team in the nba, you're supporting the nba.