Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of year player Awards?

Default End of year player Awards?

Obviously MVP will go to Lebron.

But I am Wondering if Hibbert or PG won't steal DPOY. Who else in the league is just a defensive dynamo that is going unnoticed?
    Shouldn't this award go to a player on the best defensive team in the league? What are their chance, who am I overlooking?

Most improved player- I think PG can get this, but James Harden might run away with it. After all he is a starter now, and scoring like crazy. Does John Wall get it based off the recent performance? Maybe Kenneth Fareed?

Curious to see who you have slated for these awards?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: End of year player Awards?

Not sure he will win it this season, but Tyson Chandler is always a guy that has been great on defense.

Again, not sure he is a huge contender for defnsive player of the year, but Russell Westbrook would be somewhere on the All Defensive Teams IMO.

I think Roy has a real chance to get DPOY. They tend to give it to centers and he has a real chance.

PG has a real chance of getting Most Improved

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think PG is locked in as Most Improved, not that I particularly think he should be. Most people in the media don't know how good he was last year so it seems like he made a bigger leap than he might have. The only other dude I can see getting it is Larry Sanders or Jrue, but PG is the sexier pick and the media loves sexy.

DPOY is tight as hell this year. I've been thinking recently that Roy has a real chance of getting it he's the anchor on the best defensive team in the league and has that sexy blocks per game number that the media likes. I'm okay with whoever gets this as long as it isn't Ibaka.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

I'd think if Roy wins DPOY, then that would go along way in deflecting the criticism he gets with respect to the max contract.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

The biggest obstacle from PG getting MIP is that he was already considered pretty good. But, I think he gets it.

Roy should get some real consideration for DPOY. As far as other Centers (guys who usually get it) go, who can challenge him? Not Tyson. Not Dwight. Not Noah.

Only thing that could hurt Roy here is that the NBA tends to really emphasize defensive boards when it comes to this award. and Roy is very "average" when it comes to rebounding.

MVP: LeBron
    COY: Vogel
    MIP: Jrue Holiday
    DPOY: Joakim Noah
    @qandrews9428

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think there will be some disappointment because I doubt any Pacer player or coach gets any of the post-season awards. Pop will get COY, definitely, and I suspect some second-year player will get MIP in spite of the previous tradition of not giving it to a player that young as I know there are 2 or 3 who have made big leaps. I don't think Roy's numbers are good enough for DPOY - in fact, I suspect we won't see either Roy or Paul on the All-Defense team.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there will be some disappointment because I doubt any Pacer player or coach gets any of the post-season awards. Pop will get COY, definitely, and I suspect some second-year player will get MIP in spite of the previous tradition of not giving it to a player that young as I know there are 2 or 3 who have made big leaps. I don't think Roy's numbers are good enough for DPOY - in fact, I suspect we won't see either Roy or Paul on the All-Defense team.
    Who votes on the All-Defense team? I thought it was coaches...and if it is, I'd be surprised if Roy didn't get a nod. Opposing coaches realize how dominant he is in the paint.

No way Frank gets COY. There hasn't been enough of a jump this season, like the Knicks have had. Obviously Pop will get serious consideration, although what he's done this season isn't substantially more impressive than what he's done the past several seasons. They haven't had to deal with a key player missing the whole season...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What are the chances George makes an All-NBA team?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Larry Sanders is a strong candidate for both Most Improved and Defensive Player of the Year.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Last year, Tyson Chandler won DPoY with numbers of 9.9 rpg and 1.4 bpg in 33.2 mpg.

This year, Big Daddy Roy is at 8.3 rpg and 2.6 bpg in 28.7 mpg.

His raw numbers aren't out-of-the-world, largely due to his limited minutes, but they're compare to last season's winner, so I think he has a shot at it.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Can't forget about Omer Asik & Nikola Vucevic in the MIP running. Eventhough Roy did well against both of these centers, they are greatly improved.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think PG getting MIP player is the best chance we have at getting and awards. And I think is definitely a front runner. He went from being known as a defensive player to a legit All-Star. If you catch any of the other teams broadcasts of Pacers games, they always talk about how PG has exploded onto the scene and such. He made the legit jump to an All-Star player this year and I don't think it will go unnoticed.

Hibbert and PG both will be mentioned for DPOY and its probably why neither will win it. The Pacers have the best defense in the league and that counts for something.

If PG does win the MIP award, that means the Pacers would have 3 players who won it since 2001/2002 (JO, DG and possible PG). That would be pretty cool.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

J7F

Spoelstra will get COY. It's a mortal lock.

I wish I were wrong. But I'm not.

Frank deserves it a million times more, but it doesn't really matter.

What I think will happen

MIP: Larry Sanders
    COY: Vogel
    DPOY: Marc Gasol
    6th man: Jamal Crawford

I think George will make the All-NBA 3rd team. 1st team forwards: LeBron/Durant, 2nd team: Duncan/Melo, 3rd team: Griffin/George.

I think George makes 1st team all-defense alongside LeBron. It depends on Duncan, i think Duncan will get a ton of All-Defense and All-NBA votes this year. The question is do they keep slotting him as a forward? If so, George probably gets bumped to the 2nd all-defense team.

Hibbert doesn't make any team (I think Gasol and Noah will get center spots).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All the talk I've seen has Noah winning DPOY with Duncan being after him. I've seen no national mention for Roy winning DPOY. Last thing I saw was at least a week ago...so who knows. The front runners change in the media at the drop of a hat it seems (besides MVP which James has had locked up for quite a while).

I think it would be great if PG got MIP. That award has been dominated by the Pacers in the last decade or so, which really says a lot about our organization.

Since the year 2000, A Pacer player has won MIP 3 times, (Jalen, JO and Danny)

But as far as DPOY and COY goes, I just don't see Roy or Frank overcoming the national media bias.

Roy had a "bad year" due to his offensive numbers going down. Frank didn't have a 28 game winning streak with a team full of superstars. They are both a bit doomed, from that perspective.

Spoelstra is the 'sexy pick' by the media, who fellate the Heat at every opportunity. And I just don't know if the national media watch enough Pacer games to know that Roy is THAT valuable to our #1 defense. They probably just read about how horribly he has struggled at times this year on offense, and will assume that means his D has been struggling as well.

I'm not saying it makes sense, is logical or is fair... But it's the NBA.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'll honestly be pretty surprised if Spoelstra got COY. I think he's a very good coach but the Heat's roster hurts him there, "anyone could win in the crappy East with those guys" is the narrative. I'll be just as surprised if PG does NOT get MIP.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'll honestly be pretty surprised if Spoelstra got COY. I think he's a very good coach but the Heat's roster hurts him there, "anyone could win in the crappy East with those guys" is the narrative. I'll be just as surprised if PG does NOT get MIP.
    Valid point.

I guess I am just conceding Vogel's defeat because of the medias infatuation with any and everything Heat.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Valid point.

I guess I am just conceding Vogel's defeat because of the medias infatuation with any and everything Heat.
    I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts Frank gets double the votes Spoelstra gets. I think Pop wins it but I think Frank'll get a lot of votes.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts Frank gets double the votes Spoelstra gets. I think Pop wins it but I think Frank'll get a lot of votes.
    I'd be so happy if Frank doubles Spoelstra's vote total.

Noah, Chandler and Gasol are all stud defenders so I wouldn't be upset if any of them won DPOY. I'm still not convinced myself who I think the best defender is this year. Roy is definitely right in the mix with those three, but he's definitely not head and shoulders better. All have different strengths. Tyson is probably the most complete as he's good at everything. Noah is great in the PnR, 1 on 1 and rebounding. Roy is by far the best rim protector, but not as good as any of them in PnR..

PG deserves a mention too of course, but I just wanted to correct any homerism that might suggest those three mentioned centers aren't as good as Roy.

I also love Harden as the MiP, though PG is a strong candidate as well. There is no doubt in my mind if Harden was a Pacer, this board would demand he win the MiP award.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Better say "at least", because I'd be surprised if Spoelstra gets a single vote.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Roy and PG have a real shot at DPOY
    "We want Miami"