Thread: Updated Eastern Conference Playoff Standings Article

Default Updated Eastern Conference Playoff Standings Article

The New York Knicks won their 10th consecutive game on Wednesday and reclaimed sole possession of the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. Here's a breakdown of all the recent playoff movement.

The bottom half of the Eastern Conference playoff bracket is a bit ugly, but things are improving for teams in the top four spots. The Miami Heat are the runaway No. 1 seed, yet the teams below them are heating up. The New York Knicks have won 10 consecutive games and moved a half-game ahead of Indiana for the No. 2 seed. The Indiana Pacers are 8-2 in their last 10 contests, and a Brooklyn Nets win combined with an Atlanta Hawks loss on Wednesday pushed Brooklyn two games up on Atlanta for the No. 4 seed. If that trio of teams continues to play well, the path to the NBA Finals for LeBron James and the Heat may still be a bit bumpier than most people expect.
    More: Hot Hot Hoops Posting and Toasting Indy Cornrows
    Unfortunately for Milwaukee Bucks fans, their team does not look primed to cause any trouble for the Heat. The Bucks lost on Wednesday to the Minnesota Timberwolves and fell 2.5 games behind Boston for the No. 7 seed. Milwaukee will play five of their final eight games against plus-.500 teams and six of those eight on the road, so don't expect the Bucks to make a move to escape a first-round matchup against Miami.
    Atlanta's home loss to Carmelo Anthony and Knicks on Wednesday trimmed their lead over the Chicago Bulls for the No. 5 seed to just half a game, and the Bulls own the head-to-head tiebreaker. Atlanta will need a strong finish to solidify a matchup against the Nets in the first round.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/4...ern-conference

I still think it will come down to the game against New York for the #2 seed, but we are in a must win, playoff mode for every game from here on out if we really want the 2 seed.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Updated Eastern Conference Playoff Standings Article

Yea, it's pretty much Indy vs NY for the #2 from here on out. Their 10-game win streak really threw a wrench in the gears for us.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On top of the Knicks being a must win for the #2 seed, I think the next most important game is the Thunder. I'm pretty much chalking it up as a loss for both us and the Knicks. So if we can pull off a win against the Thunder and beat the Knicks, we're sitting pretty in my opinion. I just think beating the Thunder would be an even bigger confidence boost after the 4 game sweep out west. If we can beat a powerhouse from the west that has one of the two best players in the NBA, we should feel good about beating anyone from the east down the stretch.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

normally i would not want to play ATL because for who knows what reason they own us... or have to some degree. however, a playoff series victory would go along ways to bucking that trend and put them back where they belong.

celts - vet team with a lot of pride. not fearful but ATL should be a better matchup. no more joe johnson for that team and they are not as scary any longer.

Ya, the game on friday is huge. The way they are playing right now, I wouldn't count them out against anybody. I thought the Houston game was going to be really tough, and we won, then in Dallas I was pretty nervous, and I thought playing in LA on the last game of a 4 game road trip was a for sure lose.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if they come out hot and take out the Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    normally i would not want to play ATL because for who knows what reason they own us... or have to some degree. however, a playoff series victory would go along ways to bucking that trend and put them back where they belong.

celts - vet team with a lot of pride. not fearful but ATL should be a better matchup. no more joe johnson for that team and they are not as scary any longer.
    Atl is a good matchup for us, and I think Boston is a pretty good matchup for us too. The one team in that mix I don't want to see is Chicago. They play us tough. That would be a long hard series.

I think once we play the Knicks, it will be the deciding game for the #2 seed and both teams will promote this as the biggest game of the year. I think in the end, the Pacers will be the #2 seed, but that Knicks game is the biggest game of the regular season
    "We want Miami"

Unbelievable, the absolute worst possible case scenario is lining up for us right now. We are going to have to play the Bulls in the playoffs and it is going to be absolutely miserable at the fieldhouse as depending on the night of the week we may be lucky to have 60/40 Pacers fans.

Damn the Knicks, these past two games were ones that I had hoped would put the hurt on them but thanks to Miami not competing and then them just kicking the crap out of Atlanta it now places us behind the 8 ball. I mean it makes the game vs. the Thunder an almost have to win and it is a game that in all honesty I don't expect to win.

All we can do now is hope that the Bulls and Hawks change places or better yet we win out the rest of the year.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Yea, it's pretty much Indy vs NY for the #2 from here on out. Their 10-game win streak really threw a wrench in the gears for us.
    still have that matchup in MSG though
    "We want Miami"

The Knicks have the longest winning streak and I think the Pacers have the 2cd. longest. Getting to play the Celtics without Garnett, Memphis with a very limited Gasol and Miami throwing in the towel helped but they killed Atlanta last night. They still have some tough games before playing us but so do we. If we can pull it out this weekend it's back to their move against OKC but that's a tough task. I agree that the #2 seed will likely be decided on the 14th.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

All the Pace3rs can do is win out. Anything else is up to the Gods, who have not particularly liked us in years past.

Perhaps sacrificing a bull would work, but I think sacrificing a Bulls Fan would be more satisfying...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    The Knicks have the longest winning streak and I think the Pacers have the 2cd. longest. Getting to play the Celtics without Garnett, Memphis with a very limited Gasol and Miami throwing in the towel helped but they killed Atlanta last night. They still have some tough games before playing us but so do we. If we can pull it out this weekend it's back to their move against OKC but that's a tough task. I agree that the #2 seed will likely be decided on the 14th.
    Melo going for an efficient 50 is a problem for anyone, but they're likely pushing him too hard. He's a china-doll, I'd be shocked if he wasn't dealing with a leg/arm/foot injury by the time the first round rolls in.

Sports Logo

I have to give credit to the Knicks for their recent play. I didn't expect them to perform so good. So, kudos to them.

The game in MSG is going to decide the #2 seed along with the games against the Thunder.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

it would be interesting to know who the Celtics prefer to face in the postseason. knicks or pacers.

if i had to guess, i bet they would rather play the knicks. we are more balanced than the knicks are, and play much better defense.

i dont give a **** how small of a market we play in. when you play Defense you have a chance to win regardless of the opponent.

"Defense wins Championships"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Melo ........... He's a china-doll
    I think that with the style of ball that the playoffs bring, smack him once and he's toast. There are reasons why his teams do so poorly in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Melo going for an efficient 50 is a problem for anyone, but they're likely pushing him too hard. He's a china-doll, I'd be shocked if he wasn't dealing with a leg/arm/foot injury by the time the first round rolls in.
    If Melo [and to a lesser extent, JR Smith] can score at this kind of level, the Knicks will win. But expecting Melo to play this well series after series after series after series seems unlikely. The Lakers couldn't do it when Kobe was Kobe, and Melo isn't Kobe. A great scorer can win a game or a series, but isn't going to win 4 series in a row vs playoff teams.

IMO, NY will be fun to watch for a while, but at some point their deficiencies will sink them.

Mood

Maybe the Knicks can have this kind of FG% four times out of seven against us, but considering how good our defense is, that's a little hard to believe.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Unbelievable, the absolute worst possible case scenario is lining up for us right now. We are going to have to play the Bulls in the playoffs and it is going to be absolutely miserable at the fieldhouse as depending on the night of the week we may be lucky to have 60/40 Pacers fans.
    as much as i hate that situation i would rather play bulls than celtics. celtics are dangerous in playoffs. they are too experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    as much as i hate that situation i would rather play bulls than celtics. celtics are dangerous in playoffs. they are too experienced.
    I relish the opportunity to drive a stake in the Celtics heart. The best of times in the NBA is when you see a changing of the guard in the playoffs. I want Paul Pierce to bow down to Paul George. I want Garnett to bow to Hibbert. I would really like to see Rondo bow to Lance.

The only other thing more enjoyable would be to see DWade snap his tibia on a drive to the bucket. Just kidding. Really. I would be more than satisfied if anyone stops them.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Maybe the Knicks can have this kind of FG% four times out of seven against us, but considering how good our defense is, that's a little hard to believe.
    I think you're correct. Melo can win a couple of games, but expecting him to score like this 4 out of 7 is unlikely. possible, but unlikely.

I don't see Melo taking them on a run no matter who they have to play. Win a series maybe, but not more than that.