Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuban would consider drafting Brittney Griner

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cuban would consider drafting Brittney Griner

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...llas-mavericks

Cuban, if nothing else, keeps things interesting.

Banned

Default Re: Cuban would consider drafting Brittney Griner

She is probably a better prospect than Plumlee

Sorry I had to do it

Mood

I may get blasted for this, but I doubt Griner could legitimately make a men's D-1 roster, let alone play in the NBA.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fortunately it won't happen, just another Mark Cuban "Ya know I'd really like to see myself in the news today" moments. I've personally known women who could play and play well against men. However I still hated whenever I had to guard them. There is a gender role/etiquette/conduct code that is ingrained into every decent person from a very young age. It is unfair to the male opponents to expect them to play the same way physically against a female opponent. You're asking them to break so many unwritten rules that goes far beyond basketball. Is it unfair for a female competitor who can compete with men to be excluded. Perhaps. However, obviously they have their own league, and let us not die at the alter of gender equality as it would never be allowed for a male athlete to compete for money in a female league. Still, like I said, this has no chance and is more about Cuban wanting to see his own name in the paper/blogosphere.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I may get blasted for this, but I doubt Griner could legitimately make a men's D-1 roster, let alone play in the NBA.
    You might get blasted, but you are absolutely correct.

At best, Griner might be able to come off the bench on a DIII or NAIA men's team.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Meh, she's 6'8 and can catch the ball. That's gotta put her above some walk ons, I'd think. (I'm kidding...she could play on a men's team if she could dominate them size wise..that's just a huge part of her game..But I really don't know at what level she could. )

The problem with using Griner as the example of "women who could try out and make an NBA team" is that it's not a post player who could do it. Griner is 6'8 and has a huge wing span - for the women's game. But..at 6'8 she's the same height as Lebron (and 100lbs lighter..) shorter than Durant etc..essentially the same size as many NBA 3s. She couldn't possibly play in the post in the NBA.

I think the physical difference is too big for women to men. But if it ever happens, it would be with someone like Pondextor or Taurasi. A highly skilled pretty large guard. The height difference for point guards isn't as extreme. The guards don't stick out as a handicap when they are the one girl with the men, whenever you see pickup games involving NBA and WNBA players.. (In fact, Cappie dominated a game) But there's still some serious issues physically.

Diamond Dave, that's interesting that you bring that up..but I think with the higher level athletes, that feeling pretty quickly goes away. The Uconn women's team plays two on two games with the Uconn football team during the summer. The freshman football players, never playing basketball against women at that level before have that same reaction, despite their older teammates telling them that they have to play like they are playing against men, for about five minutes. A few elbows to the stomach changes that philosophy.

The male practice players react the same way at first, I think it's just at some point they see the players as athletes and not women.
    Last edited by Sookie; 04-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    It is unfair to the male opponents to expect them to play the same way physically against a female opponent. You're asking them to break so many unwritten rules that goes far beyond basketball.
    "Unfair to the male opponents?" I about spit out my drink when I read that. Give me a break. You're talking about well-paid professional athletes with professional referees, coaches etc. I don't buy that argument for a second.

It's not going to happen anyway, unfortunately, unless she is a true freak of nature. I spent a whole summer interning with a WNBA team, getting to know a couple of the players, and seeing tons of games and practices courtside. As talented as those women were, and as much as I respect them, I don't think any of them could earn more than maybe a spot on an NBA practice squad at best.

I don't mean anything sexist whatsoever when I say that; it just comes down to how huge and athletic most of the men in the NBA are.

EDIT: Having said that, I would love to be proven wrong. A legit female NBA player would be a lot of fun to watch.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    NBA is a really high quality of basketball, but so is the WNBA. I think sometimes it is pretty insane how people talk about the WNBA like they could go out there and beat them. Griner would start on a division 1 team in Men's College basketball. Anyone who thinks otherwise is frankly just thinking in a sexist way in my opinion.
    Then consider my sexist. Griner is a very good basketball player. Guys on the D-1 level are really, really good though. I mean have you seen how good some D-2 guys who never even got an offer from a D-1 school are?

Once you get to NBA level athletes you start getting into territory where there might only be 3 or 4 woman alive who are athletic and skilled enough to even try to compete. Just because woman should have equal rights, and equal pay for the same jobs does not mean men and women are physically or mentally equal. There are many things each sex is better at than the other. Exceptions do exist, but we just have to remember they are the exception not the rule.

Griner would start on a division 1 team in Men's College basketball. Anyone who thinks otherwise is frankly just thinking in a sexist way in my opinion.

There are plenty of men on NCAA rosters (Division I, II, III) who are Griner's height, can dunk the ball far more easily, are far stronger, faster and more athletic and can't get off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Once you get to NBA level athletes you start getting into territory where there might only be 3 or 4 woman alive who are athletic and skilled enough to even try to compete. Just because woman should have equal rights, and equal pay for the same jobs does not mean men and women are physically or mentally equal. There are many things each sex is better at than the other. Exceptions do exist, but we just have to remember they are the exception not the rule.

Really, just think about how many men who have been dominant players at the NCAA level (playing against other men) and then can't get make the training camp roster of an NBA team.

NBA is a really high quality of basketball, but so is the WNBA. I think sometimes it is pretty insane how people talk about the WNBA like they could go out there and beat them. Griner would start on a division 1 team in Men's College basketball. Anyone who thinks otherwise is frankly just thinking in a sexist way in my opinion.
    IMO, the WNBA is high quality basketball, it's probably my second favorite form of basketball to watch. But the issue with Griner is that her size is the reason she's so dominant. She's really really skilled for a center. But in Division one basketball, her advantage is completely gone. In fact, she'd be smaller than her opponents.

That's why I said if you want a female to compete with a male at a higher level, it's going to have to be a big guard. The best guards in the WNBA are at an all star level for NBA players. (I'm talking Pondextor, Taurasi, Bird, Hammon, Catchings...etc..)..at least with guards the size difference isn't so huge..and they depend on their skills rather than physical advantages..but even still..the athleticism gap is so large it's tough to see a woman being able to make a team.

ex: Shoni Schimmel (Louisville guard) has been, easily, the most fun player to watch in the women's tournament. But she's like 5'5. Kevin Durant congratulated the Louisville team after they beat Baylor, and she was about up to his waist. She's highly skilled..but a player like that just couldn't compete with men.
    Last edited by Sookie; 04-02-2013 at 11:54 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

not a chance.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Just for the sake of discussion......it's been said....even by Reggie himself....that Cheryl Miller was a better Basketball Player than Reggie and one of the best Woman's Basketball Player to play the game.

Could Cheryl Miller ( at the height of her basketball careeer ) have played in today's NBA?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

23. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MrSparko For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I think Cuban may just be counting how many Brittney Griner jerseys he could sell.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sookie is correct: a female player that would succeed in the NBA would basically have to be in the mold of a Nate Robinson type. Lights out shooter, good handles, guard, etc.

I would think a female PG would have better chance of competing in the NBA than a Center.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Just for the sake of discussion......it's been said....even by Reggie himself....that Cheryl Miller was a better Basketball Player than Reggie and one of the best Woman's Basketball Player to play the game.

Could Cheryl Miller ( at the height of her basketball careeer ) have played in today's NBA?
    No. Reggie was just being generous and exaggerating when talking about his sister. I recognize that Cheryl is likely the greatest female basketball player of all time, but Reggie is one of the all time greats too. Growing up, big sis was better than him, but lets not act like Cheryl had the skill to dominate the best players in the world.

I've played against Tamika Catchings, and while she was able to shut me down, I was able to stop her on defense as well. I just outmuscled her and I'm not really that strong.

Griner is an incredible player, but she would get dominated by players with over 100lbs on her. Remember how Roy tossed Stephen Curry like a rag doll? Yeah, that's how it would be every time down the court.

As far as her playing in college, I think she could play at a level where she was the tallest player out there. She has a lot of skill, but she would still not be able to hold her ground against players who are significantly stronger than her.

I think there are a couple of guards in the WNBA that would be much better against male competition than Griner or Cheryl Miller ever could be. A lot of those girls can shoot. If Jason Kopono can play for many years in the NBA, I'm positive a sharp-shooting guard could. It couldn't be any worse.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparko View Post
    Yes put no thought into what I said, and take it out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Smooth View Post
    A lot of those girls can shoot. If Jason Kopono can play for many years in the NBA, I'm positive a sharp-shooting guard could. It couldn't be any worse.
    If Jason Kapono was 5'10" with the same skillset, he wouldn't have lasted a day in the NBA.

Jason Kapono wasn't anything special as an athlete in the NBA, but he could get his shot off. He had good size for his position. He's at least 6'6" w/o shoes. There isn't any woman his height who can shoot as well as he can. The great women's shooters are much, much smaller than Kapano, are slower and less athletic, and would have a lot of trouble getting their shots off.

And then there's the defensive end, where they would get absolutely annihilated. Kapono wasn't any great defender, but he at least he was NBA sized.

I'm actually hoping Cuban gets Britney Griner an invite to the Mavs summer league team. Once people see her on the floor with a bunch of D-League level players, they would understand once and for all how far off the women's game is from the men's game is, from an athletic standpoint. Then we would see the end of these ridiculous threads about whether a woman could some day play in the NBA, etc....folks it's just not happening.
    Last edited by d_c; 04-03-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Sookie is correct: a female player that would succeed in the NBA would basically have to be in the mold of a Nate Robinson type. Lights out shooter, good handles, guard, etc.
    Keep in mind that Nate Robinson is a world class athlete. Guy was a high level D-1 football player in addition to being a 1st round NBA pick. He could run a 40 in 4.4 and is incredibly strong (if he wasn't, he'd be getting abused in the post by opposing guards everytime down the floor). By pure athletic standards, the guy is extraordinary. And if you're going to play in the NBA at 5'7" or 5'9" or whatever he really is, you need to be.

There isn't any womens player at Nate's position who is anywhere near the type of athlete he is. Sure, Nate has nice handles and can shoot the ball, but he wouldn't be in the league if he weren't the off the charts athlete that he is.

Really, people need to stop talking about a woman playing in the NBA. It would be absolutely groundbreaking news if there were a woman athletically good enough to make a men's D III, NAIA or even junior college team. If some woman was good enough to do that, it would be very newsworthy. In fact, I'd say it would easily be the athletic breakthrough of the 21st century.
    Last edited by d_c; 04-03-2013 at 05:05 AM.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just want to see her in one pre season game vs the Bulls, so I can confirm that her and Joakim Noah are not the same person.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Smooth View Post
    As far as her playing in college, I think she could play at a level where she was the tallest player out there. She has a lot of skill, but she would still not be able to hold her ground against players who are significantly stronger than her.
    That level doesn't exist in the men's college game. Take DIII Wabash College, for instance. They went 9-17 this season, playing in the NCAC Conference, so clearly they weren't a DIII powerhouse. They had 3 players that were 6'7", 2 players that were 6'8", and 1 player that was 6'9".

Occasionally she might find herself to be the tallest player on the court, but that would be the rare exception. Not the rule. Even when she was the tallest player, she would be so athletically deficient that she would struggle to do anything regardless of her having a small height advantage over her male opponents.

She should be happy to take her chances in the WNBA. There is no way that Mark Cuban actually believes she could compete at the NBA level. It's a publicity stunt. I hope he actually does give her a chance in the summer, just to shut up anyone who actually thinks she would have a shot.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 04-03-2013 at 08:55 AM.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

He needs Griner
    Smothered Chicken!