Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colts, Heyward-Bey agree to deal

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts, Heyward-Bey agree to deal

http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations...-one-year-deal

I like the signing. It is low risk, and if any player deserves a second chance, it's former Raiders players.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Colts, Heyward-Bey agree to deal

Meh. At least the terms are solid.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

A Speed guy was a must. No risk contract and now they can draft BPA! Awesome offseason!!!!!

It's not like many (any ??) Raider castoffs have gone on to great things, but given what Grigson did his 1st year, I'm not going to disagree with this signing.

Some serious speed, stretches the D out a little, opens it up for the shorter passing game ........ I see how it can work.

See many folks concerned about terrible hands on the other thread. As pointed out above this is a low risk move and I seem to remember Garcon didn't have the best hands either. Working with Reggie may just be the best thing for the guy or I hope.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's got some big-time talent, seems that he needs some work, and I think going from the Raiders and Carson Palmer to the Colts and Andrew Luck and Reggie Wayne could likely have a big effect on this guy.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's got some big-time talent, seems that he needs some work, and I think going from the Raiders and Carson Palmer to the Colts and Andrew Luck and Reggie Wayne could likely have a big effect on this guy.
    And it will help him because he won't have to live up to the expectations that came from being a top ten pick
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I like the signing.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the signing even with his stone hands. They are no worse then Avery's and DHB's speed is much much better then Avery's speed. It is a low risk/high reward signing that we can wipe our hands clean of next season if he does not pan out.

Also now we can definitely go BPA in the draft and if we take a WR we do not have to throw him right away.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He really can't be any worse than Avery like someone said last night on twitter, and even with Avery being a below average guy he had 61 catches and 780 yards, so DHB should at least do that IMo

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You look at a kid like this and his level of physical talent and just hope for the best. What you know about him is that he's big (6'2") and strong (216 lbs), and at that size, running a sub-4.3 40 is flat-out ridiculous. His ONLY question marks are his head and his hands. He's had three years and has just never really realized his potential and it makes you wonder if he's got the mind to learn this league... but the factors there don't necessarily point to a sign that he's incapable. It was the Raiders, so who knows.

We'll find out. But that size/strength/speed is something else. 6-2, 216 and a 4.23 40-yd? Gotta be kiddin' me. I really hope he turns it around. He's the most talented BIG receiver I can ever remember having on this team. I HAVE to hope that working with Reggie Wayne will help his "hands" issue... and having Andrew Luck being able to hit a dime from 50 yards out HAS to be something to consider when throwing to a guy who prefers body catches. I mean... if he doesn't make it on this team, he probly never will make it in this league. This will be the ultimate litmus test for him.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 04-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

DHB is really talented. The programs he's been apart of since high school have been a mess: went to college at Maryland which is a real hot and cold program and the Raiders of course are the worst franchise in the NFL. I look forward to seeing what he can do in a solid environment in Indy.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Let me throw out some stats for everyone so we can get a better picture of DHB.

Last year he had 5 drops on 80 targets and a catch percentage of 51%.

Wayne had 9 drops on 195 targets and a catch percentage of 54.4%

Avery had 7 drops on 124 targets and a catch percentage of 48.0%

A couple of things that crossed my mind was I wonder how playing on turf will affect his game and playing indoors where there won't be any wind.

The biggest reason to get DHB is working the play action in the west coast offense. Bascially make sure that the safeties stay out of the box for run support and punish teams when they load the box. Avery was so so as a deep ball threat and certainly DHB is an upgrade over him but in the West coast offense this is a must signing IMO.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

I am extremely happy about this signing. 1 year 'prove it' contracts are almost always beneficial for teams, especially when dealing with a guy with as much talent as DHB. If he wants a fat contract next year he is going to work his a$$ off for us... Also with Wayne, Hilton, Fleener, and Allen all drawing attention from the defense, DHB definitely will help keep the defense honest on everyone. No more double/triple-teaming Wayne with Hilton and DHB on the field.

This also gives us another year to truly address WR. Hilton looks like a longterm Colt, but Wayne is starting to get up there in age. We probably invest in a #1 quality receiver over the next few years, this just allows us to address more pressing needs this offseason.

I fully expect the Colts to draft a defensive player in the first round now... either a CB (Rhodes or Trufant), a DE/OLB pass rusher (Moore, Carradine, or Jarvis Jones if he falls), or MAYBE a NT type (J Williams, Hankins, J Jenkins).

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now Luck has 3 solid receiver targets along with Allen and Fleener as the tight ends. Our offense will be one of the top ones this season
    Smothered Chicken!

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

I think that Luck is just going to absolutely explode next season. He will have an improved O-Line, his rookie year behind him, and another summer to watch film and work with his receivers. This guy will be an absolute freak next season.

I'm not saying that there won't be bumps along the road. After all, Manning had a terrible fourth season after playing excellent in his second and third seasons. I just think that some great things are in store from Luck next year.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-02-2013 at 02:07 PM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Love it. Realized how bad our WR position was when i changed our roster on Madden 13 to look like what it is now the other day. It was pretty bad. Needed a new addition very badily. DHB reminds me a lot of Pierre Garcon.

I just pray that Wayne can have another season like last year. He is so key for Luck right now. I think we'll be fine at WR next year as long as Wayne stays in top form. But we definitely have to look at building the position up for the future because Luck will play most of his career without Wayne.

Wayne is important but Hilton is right up there imo. If we move him to the outside and have brazil in the slot then we are pretty good imo. This offense will have 2 solid wr and a rb who can catch the ball out of the backfield and 2 TEs who can hit the seams.

I still want to draft Keenan Allen.

Mood

I want Hopkins at the 24 spot. Or Justin hunter In the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    I want Hopkins at the 24 spot. Or Justin hunter In the third.
    Hunter wont be there in the third no way in hell.

goes late 1st very early 2nd
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

I like the signing mostly because it is short-term and not a big financial commitment. If the Colts can establish an effective and dependable run game that forces the safeties to move up closer to the box DHB could really put some pressure on a defense.

Without that good running game his value could be pretty limited. I don't see DHB as a play for the chains kind of receiver that runs great routes and snags every ball thrown into his area.

Guy is a little one dimensional for my taste but again as a short-term answer for the vertical game not a bad option.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Now Luck has 3 solid receiver targets along with Allen and Fleener as the tight ends. Our offense will be one of the top ones this season
    That's a very astute observation.

Now, I don't know if Fleener couldn't get open last year or Luck misplaced some throws at him or he just wasn't his preferred target, but if Fleener can become legit threat too, then we can go places next season.

Too many targets on our offense that will require a lot of attention and coverage from LB's and any secondary. Add to that the new offensive philosophy from next year and I'm pretty confident about our chances. A plethora of options for our franchise QB.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

DHB isn't a vertical receiver. He doesn't play the long ball well.