Thread: UCLA to hire Steve Alford as coach

Default UCLA to hire Steve Alford as coach

Wow I'm surprised... kind of funny since the Pacers had a debate years ago about taking Alford or Reggie Miller who went to UCLA and well its kind of full circle now

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-steve-alford-

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: UCLA to hire Steve Alford as coach

So much for that 10 year deal he signed. Turned out to be about a 5 day deal

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow I'm surprised... kind of funny since the Pacers had a debate years ago about taking Alford or Reggie Miller who went to UCLA and well its kind of full circle now
    Kegboy said something similar when I told him about Alford being a dirty damn dog and dumping New Mexico two weeks after they gave him a 10 year deal. Actually what Keboy said was, "Well now Alford will have his revenge against Reggie for what happened in the draft." In other words Kegboy doesn't think Alford is that great a coach and will therefore not pull UCLA out of their pit of not winning a title in 18 years.

On UCLA men's basketball Wikepeida page it already has Alford listed as in his first season as head coach. Pretty funny considering he hasn't even been formally announced yet.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I look forward to UCLA's downfall. You lie down with dogs...

What an absolute joke coaching contracts are.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I look forward to UCLA's downfall. You lie down with dogs...
    I agree I don't like the hire at all. Alford is one of the most overrated coaches he will be out there within 3 years IMO. I am really surprised that is who UCLA targeted.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I agree I don't like the hire at all. Alford is one of the most overrated coaches he will be out there within 3 years IMO. I am really surprised that is who UCLA targeted.
    They targeted Smart and Stevens first, but yeah, they could have done better.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    it's not even about his coaching abilities, the guy's just a sleazeball. i remember going to his camp and him treating 12 year olds like dirt, and the whole Pierre Pierce deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    it's not even about his coaching abilities, the guy's just a sleazeball. i remember going to his camp and him treating 12 year olds like dirt, and the whole Pierre Pierce deal.
    Really? I always assumed he is an upstanding individual. I guess the whole book by it's cover applies here I reckon. You would know better than me I guess since I've never met him.

This isn't just a poor decision by the UCLAN's but for Alford as well. Why not just stay in a good situation at New Mexico? The program is good enough to get to a few sweet sixteens over the next decade and with some luck maybe even push for a final four. Alford would be a hero to the locals and in my opinion the money will even out in the end.

I get that Alford is a competive guy and wants to succeed at the highest level but being realistic about one's capabilities is an underated trait. The first sign of imminent doom is immediately offering his 3-star kid a scholarship. If the other one transfers from New Mexico and gets a scholarship too it is only a matter of time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So who should UCLA had gone after? Stevens and Smart were out the door, and no one with a good job is leaving to go to UCLA. So who did you want them to get? Andy Enfield?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

FWIW I thought an established guy like Mike Montgomery (with no clue about his contract/buyout etc.) or Lorenzo Romar might have been the direction they chose to go. That said, with the interest that the UCLA job had, with all of the baggage, I am not sure Alford was the terrible choice some of you imply.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    So who should UCLA had gone after? Stevens and Smart were out the door, and no one with a good job is leaving to go to UCLA. So who did you want them to get? Andy Enfield?
    If I was UCLA I would of hired a guy who plays a style that attracts the recruits. Randy Rahe would of been perfect fit and so would FLGC HC who runs a simlar system. They basically run an NBA offense. I cant name the exact coach but I would of picked a guy who plays a better brand for getting the type of team that the fans their would support. UCLA's attendance has been down no one goes to the games like they use to. I just think they needed a guy who played a better style for excitement and fans. If Tim Floyd wouldn't of cheated at USC and got along with the AD I believe he could of built something good. I think UCLA needs to go that way in the hire. Alford just doesnt do it for me. I mean what has he ever done? He was awful with Iowa and pretty meh outside of a few years in the MWC with New Mexico.

I would have brought in Kareem if I was UCLA. I know it sounds crazy to hire a guy with no coaching experience, but he knows the game and he'd have his own assistants. Plus, he has the ties to LA. You know a legend like him would bring in the recruits too, and any big man who aspires to be in the NBA would benefit from his tutelage.
    Last edited by Doddage; 03-31-2013 at 09:11 PM.

The media wasted no time in going into attack mode:

article on the Pierre Pierce incident entitled "UCLA HIRED A SCUMBAG": http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/...sE7qLk.twitter

Article from LA Times "Wake him up when the Alford era is over": http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-75175617/

This ain't Iowa or New Mexico anymore, Steve!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post: