Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Granger to have surgery, out for rest of the season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger to have surgery, out for rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow some people are dumb.

Here is something you may not know, most doctors consider surgery as a last ditch effort, always. If there is a way to allow it to heal without the surgery they are going to suggest that option first every single time.

So I am dumb because I thought the idea of the easy way out was a bad idea?
    @qandrews9428

stay strong danny. get well soon!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I'm going with the idea that Danny is the one who wanted to try everything possible before going for surgery, and that today's game was the drop dead date the Pacers gave for "play it or be out for the season". Once they pulled the plug, no point for Danny not to have surgery.

I know it isn't as viscerally satisfying as blaming the entire front office for not knowing what everyone else in the NBA knew 5 years ago and also failing to trade Danny before this year to a team that didn't know this (why, no, that's not a contradiction, why do you think it is?), but it makes sense given the actual medical condition, the treatment process, and the timing.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2013/03/...oving-forward/

“We’re planning on having him back,” Walsh said. “We’re planning for him to come to training camp. That’s why we’re doing it at this point. Everything we’re doing is to get him back here by training camp next year.

“It’s not like we anticipate that he’s not going to be able to play. This whole year has been spent trying to make sure he’ll be able to play, so we’ve been very cautious in the way we’ve dealt with it.”

"The decision was made after all conservative treatment options could not alleviate the soreness Granger encountered,” the statement said. “After consultation between Granger, the Pacers’ medical staff and Dr. James Andrews, surgery became the preferred option.”

“Basically it came down to Danny telling us he didn’t think he was going to be able to play comfortably and without an operation,” Walsh said, “so that’s why we’re going this direction.”
    quotes snipped

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    So I am dumb because I thought the idea of the easy way out was a bad idea?
    I don't like the namecalling, but the actual medical opinion was that even surgery wasn't guaranteed. In that case, why not try everything else before going for broke? Once the surgery is done the rest of the options aren't on the table.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

They are expecting him to return by Training camp, which is is 6 months from now, so it should offer a good period of recovery, if the knee is able to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I don't like the namecalling, but the actual medical opinion was that even surgery wasn't guaranteed. In that case, why not try everything else before going for broke? Once the surgery is done the rest of the options aren't on the table.

If the other options were a shorter time frame then 3-6 months, then yes I understand, but I feel like we were putting all of our eggs in the Granger basket. Regardless, does anyone know the time frame on recovery from this type of surgery?
    @qandrews9428

If the other options were a shorter time frame then 3-6 months, then yes I understand, but I feel like we were putting all of our eggs in the Granger basket. Regardless, does anyone know the time frame on recovery from this type of surgery?
    They expect him to be back by Training camp.

If the other options were a shorter time frame then 3-6 months, then yes I understand, but I feel like we were putting all of our eggs in the Granger basket.
    I think the FO felt like getting someone at the trade deadline who would develop to replace both Danny AND the good player we'd have had to give up as well was less likely than the chances of Danny coming back. Given that, it made sense to take the chance on waiting for Danny than to take the chance by trading one of our currently solid pieces for someone who was still going to be something of an unknown as far as meshing with the team.

Probably not the answer people who really believe there was a way to get players for nothing more than a second round pick while we were over the cap will accept, but it's the one I think is correct.
    BillS

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This sucks, it seems like it's always something with this team that kills our shots at getting to our full potential and we're left wondering what could have been. Why even play him and fart around all this time when if this was even an option on the table earlier to go ahead and do the surgery and start the recovery process. I'm not sure what the recovery time for the surgery is but if it's a whole other year of waiting then I really think they could have made some better decisions about this instead of just crossing our fingers and hoping for the best.
    I guess you didn't know about "the plan".

Banned

3 to 6 months.

We had a worse record at 40-26, when the team at that point last year was 42-24.
    Hmmmmm...we had a 8-11 start after the month of November, because was adjusting to life without Granger. Since then, we've been 34-13 (72.3%). We were one of the better and dominating teams playing after the all-star break. Until that stupid loss to the Raptors, we had a 15-game home win streak going. We have TWO players (George and Hibbert) in DPOY discussions. We're still winning games of late with various injuries (Hill, Stephenson, West). Hibbert is regaining his offensive output while still anchoring the BEST defensive team in the league. Dude...this is not the same team from last year.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

It's very easy for us to sit back and ask why he didn't have surgery in the first place...but if you were making the decision to get surgery on YOUR knee and the chance of successful recovery with the surgery aren't much (if any) better than non-surgical treatment, would you do the surgery?

I think the answer for most everybody would be no. The decision to go under the knife isn't always only about the best chance of playing basket, it also has personal consequences.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wonder if that Millsap + Burks for Granger + Stephenson was for real or not? I have a feeling Utah would've wanted to talk to Granger and seen all the medical stuff and declined the trade. Hopefully Granger comes back stronger than ever next season, but if not he becomes a decent trade asset.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Should have traded him...

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Should have traded him...
    For whom?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

No one will fess up, but you did call this.
    If you throw enough **** at a wall some of it is bound to stick...

I still love ya though VNZLA! You are the yin to my yang... Or something like that
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    It's very easy for us to sit back and ask why he didn't have surgery in the first place...but if you were making the decision to get surgery on YOUR knee and the chance of successful recovery with the surgery aren't much (if any) better than non-surgical treatment, would you do the surgery?

I think the answer for most everybody would be no. The decision to go under the knife isn't always only about the best chance of playing basket, it also has personal consequences.

Is this is a fact?
    @qandrews9428

Danny was not a good defender as a rookie.
    He absolutely was... You don't recall Ron Ron praising his D every 5 minutes? D is what Danny hung his hat on his rookie year...

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    He absolutely was... You don't recall Ron Ron praising his D every 5 minutes? D is what Danny hung his hat on his rookie year...
    Yea I said earlier that I was wrong about this.
    @qandrews9428

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Is this is a fact?
    There is an article in the "Bring Back Granger thread" that discussed there are no concrete methods of solving Granger's issues, the likeliness of surgery successfully solving his issues is as likely as the other options. It all depends on a case by base basis.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...-s-knee-injury
    Last edited by immortality; 03-28-2013 at 05:41 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Yea I said earlier that I was wrong about this.
    Sorry... I wasn't through reading the thread

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anything we got out of him was going to be a bonus anyway. Doesn't change the outlook for this season in any fashion. Never would have if he came back either.

It does make the front office look silly for spouting out all those "we are getting the best player available at the deadline," lines repeatedly, as they sat on their *** and didn't try to do anything though.

35. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

http://www.kneeclinic.info/problems_overuse.php

Surgery has been considered the treatment of last resort for tendinopathies, and this certainly applies, if not more so, for a confirmed case of tendinosis. Surgery can be used to excise tissue affected by tendinosis, but surgery has not been proven to stimulate collagen synthesis or maturation. Thus, the tendon that has had surgery requires time for repair and strengthening. Reviews suggest that surgery in tendinosis has a 75% to 85% success rate, and for some tendons this figure may well be a very-best-case estimate. Therefore, an important implication of tendinopathy's underlying pathology being tendinosis is that conservative management must progress slowly. If the initial prognosis the patient receives is realistic, it is less likely that the patient will attempt to return to sport prematurely, suffer re-injury, and thus, "fail" conservative management. Because surgical treatment of tendinosis is not without failure, and recovery takes a minimum of 4 to 6 months, this treatment should be reserved for failure of a high-quality program of conservative management.

37. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I'm going with the idea that Danny is the one who wanted to try everything possible before going for surgery, and that today's game was the drop dead date the Pacers gave for "play it or be out for the season". Once they pulled the plug, no point for Danny not to have surgery.

I know it isn't as viscerally satisfying as blaming the entire front office for not knowing what everyone else in the NBA knew 5 years ago and also failing to trade Danny before this year to a team that didn't know this (why, no, that's not a contradiction, why do you think it is?), but it makes sense given the actual medical condition, the treatment process, and the timing.
    I still would not have done anything different with that pick... We've already received more from Danny than even the biggest optimist would have expected