Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: For the doubters.....

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,528

    Default For the doubters.....

    Ok the general mood & demenor of Pacers fans is down. Hey who can blame us we went from winning all of the time to now praying we can win the next three vs. sub par teams.

    What makes us feel better than anything when we are down? Well, winning of course. But short of that we love to talk about how to make us better as a team.

    This thread is for us.

    Now, for me, I am in a wierd spot. Normally I love to talk trades or who can do what for us or where a weakness is.

    But in this case I'm one of those few believers who actually thinks that Jax coming back & everybody playing together more than a few games will make us a contender again.

    Many of you think the same way, but in talking with our new resident doubting thomas Uncle Buck (obviously he needs further ghost visitations) it became clear that he firmly beleives that even with Jax we are no match for the big bad Pistons.

    I put it to him & now I put it before everybody.

    How do we correct that? Getting to the E.C. finals is not the goal. We want a title.

    What would you like to see the Pacers do to get there.

    A couple of things.

    1. Don't say bring back Ron Artest. As of now that is not a hope, maybe someday but I doubt it. So for the time being you must make your plans without Ron in mind.

    2. There has to be something. Please don't give up totall hope. Ron is a great player but just because he is gone we still can do this.

    Do you want a better Center? P.G.? S.F.? P.F.? S.G? Is coaching a problem? Do you want a deeper bench? Do you want to trade some depth for a better single player?

    Spell it out, go wild, just don't use Artest.

    Have fun.

  2. #2
    XXSASSXX31
    Guest

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Why not use Artest? He is one of the most important parts of our team and there is still a possibility he can return come playoff time. You never know.

  3. #3
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,965

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    I wanted to trade some depth before the arbitrary ruling. I, and I am sure a lot of you with me, hoped Artests suspension would have been lowered to between 45-60 games, so he could return before the play-offs started.

    Now? I simply don't really know what I want. I think acquiring Walker or another 1st class SF is nice for this season, but that also pretty much effectively means writing off Artest and I am not willing to do that ... just yet. What we will get back for Artest is going to be peanuts. Also acquiring a good to great SF means most likely the departure of Bender and that is another issue I am not yet certain about. I would be for taking some risks, but as of now I would probably just await the return of J.O. and SJax on a permanent basis to analyze what we need most and what to think of what to do with both Bender IF he plays for some considerable time and what to do with Artest.

    I am not opposed to getting Walker, but it might be too soon to make a move now.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  4. #4
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,528

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wanted to trade some depth before the arbitrary ruling. I, and I am sure a lot of you with me, hoped Artests suspension would have been lowered to between 45-60 games, so he could return before the play-offs started.

    Now? I simply don't really know what I want. I think acquiring Walker or another 1st class SF is nice for this season, but that also pretty much effectively means writing off Artest and I am not willing to do that ... just yet. What we will get back for Artest is going to be peanuts. Also acquiring a good to great SF means most likely the departure of Bender and that is another issue I am not yet certain about. I would be for taking some risks, but as of now I would probably just await the return of J.O. and SJax on a permanent basis to analyze what we need most and what to think of what to do with both Bender IF he plays for some considerable time and what to do with Artest.

    I am not opposed to getting Walker, but it might be too soon to make a move now.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I have to ask.

    Are you writing off the season? If you think Ron is still the answer & as of now he has 0% chance of returning this season then are you just saying ride out the season & come back strong next year?

  5. #5
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,528

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by NickGreen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why not use Artest? He is one of the most important parts of our team and there is still a possibility he can return come playoff time. You never know.
    BTW, welcome aboard.

    By using Ron are you saying using him in a trade? Or are you talking about his return to the floor this season?

    If it's the latter are you basing this on the generous nature of David Stern? He has ruled that he is gone for the season. The arbitor has agreed with this. The only other appeal will be if the Simons go to the Board of Governors, which even if they did they have virtually no chance of the decision being reversed & IMO they would never do that anyway.

    The dirty seceret is that the management is paying lip service to Ron Artest & in reality are glad to be rid of the headace. Or at least that's my opionion of it.

    But if your talking trade, I don't even know if that can happen with suspended players.

    But if it could who would you want in return.

  6. #6
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,711

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    My understanding is that suspended players can be traded.


    I think the Pacers should not make any trades right now. You never want to trade out of weakness. hope everyone gets healthy and let's see what we have.

  7. #7

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Well I do not post often, but do read the board religously and this seems like a good one to reply to.

    I think the Pacers have not or will not change the #1 goal of the year and that is to win a championship. However I don't think that we can do that without an improved #3. I do not think Jackson will be enough to do that.

    I think the Pacers will exaust all efforts to try to get Artest's suspension reduced but
    will fail. At this point I think they will pursue someone to fill the void of Ron. Walker seems to be the best fit to me. He gives us someone who can play the 3/4, score 15+ and give us a very good rebounder. It will require giving up Fred/Bender + filler. Jackson goes back to the backup 2/3, with Austin backing up the 4 and Harrison the 5.
    The only other concern in this lineup would be Johnson as the backup 1. Hopefully he improves over the course of the season, but right now he just plain stinks.

    After the season the Pacers would have to make a decison on whether to try to resign Walker and Trade Ron or to keep Ron let Walker go and free up some Cap space.

    I will say this...I think that if the Pacers do not make a trade, they will not win a championship this year and that Ron will return next year. If the Pacers decide to keep Ron, we may look back in a couple of years and say that his suspension was the greatest thing to happen, because I really believe that Ron after seeing how close he was/is to not ever being allowed to play again, may finally get it. If he does ever finally get it.....Well that would be every other GM's greatest nightmare.

  8. #8
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,528

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Welcome aboard Stranny. Post more often.

    I know there has been some talk of bringing in Walker, personally I don't see it. He's expensive & I am just not a huge fan of his game. Plus we would have to give up a lot to get him.

    However you did get me thinking about the Hawks. Would anybody be willing to do this trade, because it works.

    Atlanta trades: SF Al Harrington (17.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.5 apg in 39.4 minutes)
    Atlanta receives: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -9.0 ppg, -3.4 rpg, and -3.0 apg.

    Indiana trades: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
    Indiana receives: SF Al Harrington (17.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.5 apg in 39.4 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +9.0 ppg, +3.4 rpg, and +3.0 apg.

    TRADE ACCEPTED

  9. #9

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome aboard Stranny. Post more often.

    I know there has been some talk of bringing in Walker, personally I don't see it. He's expensive & I am just not a huge fan of his game. Plus we would have to give up a lot to get him.

    However you did get me thinking about the Hawks. Would anybody be willing to do this trade, because it works.

    Atlanta trades: SF Al Harrington (17.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.5 apg in 39.4 minutes)
    Atlanta receives: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -9.0 ppg, -3.4 rpg, and -3.0 apg.

    Indiana trades: SF Jonathan Bender (8.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
    Indiana receives: SF Al Harrington (17.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.5 apg in 39.4 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +9.0 ppg, +3.4 rpg, and +3.0 apg.

    TRADE ACCEPTED
    What is missing here is your explanation why Billy Knight would trade a proven Al Harrington for the injury prone prospect, Jon Bender. Ain't happening.

    Knight might do it if Jon Bender plays consistently for half a season, or so, but then we have no problem anyway, do we?

  10. #10
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,528

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is missing here is your explanation why Billy Knight would trade a proven Al Harrington for the injury prone prospect, Jon Bender. Ain't happening.

    Knight might do it if Jon Bender plays consistently for half a season, or so, but then we have no problem anyway, do we?
    why potential of course.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    IMO, the Pacers moves should be (in order of importance)

    1) Wait until SJax gets back
    2) Wait for about 10 games after that to see what kind of team this makes you
    3) Take the next 10-12 days until the trade deadline to look at making moves

    In the meantime I would:

    a) Give Gill a shot at backup PG. AJ didn't impress me at all on Christmas - looked very familiar to last year where as soon as he came in the team lost ground. From what others have said, that's a recent trend. He's too passive - doesn't make anything happen.

    b) Make sure David Harrison keeps getting 10-15 mpg. He's gonna make mistakes but if you keep him in the flow he could really help you in the playoffs (this is so obvious I'm almost embarrassed to type it)

    c) Get AC healthy, then give him PT. You need his outside shooting. Unfortunately, once SJax comes back I think he'll be back to collecting splinters again.

    I don't see a huge blockbuster move out there that helps you. Right now small forward's a weakness but Jackson will be back. He's also a solid defender, though not in Ron's class. Curry will help on defense.

    I'd like to see a lot more motion on offense and players who understand team defense better - they didn't do either very well on Saturday, but keep in mind I haven't seen a lot of them recently. Plus both of those are tough when your lineup's in such a state of flux.

    There are trades out there that, IMO, would help you in the future, but not this year. Frex, I could see Denver going for a SJax for Nene and Rodney White deal. Nene would probably be your starting C by the end of the year but it still leaves you weak at SF.

    I don't see the "magic move" out there right now - but I also think your team is solid enough to challenge once all the pieces are back.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  12. #12
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,841

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    I think we can beat Detroit once Jack gets back. Remember he was the starting guard on a team, and he hit some very big shots for them in the playoffs.

    Jermaine was out of whack the first half and we still got close. Tinsley was huffing cold medicine when he was on the bench.

    The Pistons played the best ball they have played all season against us. This was as good as they have or will have all year. I cant believe we cant beat that with Jack back and Jermaine playing the way he usually does.

    If we can keep our guys from getting too frustrated from the losing and the ****ty calls we seem to be getting lately I think we will be fine come playoff time.

  13. #13

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why potential of course.
    Idiot!

    No, bettter yet, Peck. I know Billy Knight. And Billy is not an idiot.

  14. #14
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,528

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Idiot!

    No, bettter yet, Peck. I know Billy Knight. And Billy is not an idiot.
    Hey, I love Billy Knight & contrary to popular belief Billy is my all-time favorite Pacer & not Dale.

    But it was Billy who did scout & stick us with Bender. I think he was getting even for being traded to Buffalo back in the day.

  15. #15
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    I, obviously, am in the minority but I believe with Jax back we are a contender for the championship. The playoffs are a crap shoot anyway. You have to be good AND lucky to put together a streak at that time and I still think we are deep enough to do that.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  16. #16

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    S Jack will help against Detroit with his length, defensively, and his offense. Also, by the time Jackson returns Bender will be contributing (or back on IR). Either way, as was said earlier, we'll have a solid chance to evaluate our competitiveness before the trade deadline.

  17. #17

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But it was Billy who did scout & stick us with Bender. I think he was getting even for being traded to Buffalo back in the day.
    As I recall it, only Larry Bird really questioned the Bender pick. (yeah I know Toronto officially did the dirty deed - but we were calling the shot). Bird wanted someone who would help immediately, like Wally whose last name I still have trouble spelling. Szerbiak? lol. And Bird soon was also drooling about young Jon's potential.

    Maybe they should have looked at him and said he was too brittle. But, many said that about Reggie, too. Jon was a great prospect and the draft is a crap shoot.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I recall it, only Larry Bird really questioned the Bender pick. (yeah I know Toronto officially did the dirty deed - but we were calling the shot). Bird wanted someone who would help immediately, like Wally whose last name I still have trouble spelling. Szerbiak? lol. And Bird soon was also drooling about young Jon's potential.

    Maybe they should have looked at him and said he was too brittle. But, many said that about Reggie, too. Jon was a great prospect and the draft is a crap shoot.
    It's becoming more and more obvious (to me anyway) that it's much easier to accurately evaluate perimeter players out of HS than big men. Folks like T-Mac, LeBron and Kobe have turned into sensational players while folks like Kwame, Curry & Chandler and Milicic (technically not a HS player but same principle) have struggled.

    It seems that the oustanding athleticism for perimeter players pans out in the pros but the combination of strength and willingness to play a physical game for big men doesn't.

    For an example, Dan Gadzuric was rated the number 1 HS player as a senior by TSN. Imagine if he'd declared for the draft then?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  19. #19

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Kevin Garnett is an obvious exception. Amare Stoudamire would be too. Dwight Howard is playing well averaging about 10 rebounds a game and he was the top rated high schooler last year.

    The problem was Bender never had a post game. The Pacers thought he would be another Kevin Garnett, but as you say, the willingness to play a physical game on the inside in the NBA is a hard quality to judge. Garnett had it; JB obviously didn't; I think Bender came into the league thinking of himself as a perimeter player, although he has now developed the beginnings of an inside game.

  20. #20
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we can beat Detroit once Jack gets back. Remember he was the starting guard on a team, and he hit some very big shots for them in the playoffs.

    Jermaine was out of whack the first half and we still got close. Tinsley was huffing cold medicine when he was on the bench.

    The Pistons played the best ball they have played all season against us. This was as good as they have or will have all year. I cant believe we cant beat that with Jack back and Jermaine playing the way he usually does.

    If we can keep our guys from getting too frustrated from the losing and the ****ty calls we seem to be getting lately I think we will be fine come playoff time.
    I agree with you and the others who think similarly. Once Jackson is back, we could very well be just fine for competing for a title.

  21. #21
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kevin Garnett is an obvious exception. Amare Stoudamire would be too. Dwight Howard is playing well averaging about 10 rebounds a game and he was the top rated high schooler last year.

    The problem was Bender never had a post game. The Pacers thought he would be another Kevin Garnett, but as you say, the willingness to play a physical game on the inside in the NBA is a hard quality to judge. Garnett had it; JB obviously didn't; I think Bender came into the league thinking of himself as a perimeter player, although he has now developed the beginnings of an inside game.
    The thing I was most encouraged about early this season, was Bender was finally banging in the post. Not a ton, but enough that with time I think he was finally set. I saw him playing against Tractor Traylor and not losing his ground, in fact I seem to recall one instance where he and Traylor bumped going for a rebound, and Bender won.

    Then during his brief appearance vs Atlanta, he had Al down in the post (Al is on defense), he backed Al down, pivoted, and physically bumped Al out of the way to be a foot under the basket, where being the long guy he is, easily laid it in. I want to see if he can keep that up, because if so, he's ready to be a big contributor off the bench at both F spots.

  22. #22
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Let me be the contrarian in this thread...
    I'm really starting to wonder about some things. First, some were very quick to dismiss the Goukas article where he wrote off the Pacers this year due to the turmoil. But that article has been weighing on me of late. Maybe we're all being overly optimistic on putting Humpty Dumpty back together again. Just because we don't want to agree with Goukas doesn't mean he doesn't have a point.

    One Pacer loss to the Pistons does not a season make but it does give us some previews of things. Our roster is back to being unbalanced again. Injuries and suspensions have made it worse. And that is what is worrying me... we are going to spend a lot of the season searching for a workable rotation trying to plug holes. And just as we think we have one thing figured out here comes someone back from suspension or injury... or someone is sliding back with an injury.

    Meanwhile, a cloud is hanging over the franchise. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive to it but it seems to me we are hearing a little too much about the 'bad' fans at Conseco. It's almost as if the Mow Down in Motown happened at Conseco. IMHO, Stern can take some of the blame for that by making the punishments and harsh words nearly all about the Pacers. I don't get into the conspiracy theories as much as some do BUT IMHO this has been by design because the Pistons are the defending champs. ...Can't soil the defending champs. It wouldn't be good for the league.

    Whether the team ran out of adrenaline or the constant shuffling took its toll, we have not won the games we should've won in this period. We won a couple we probably shouldn't have early and then went into a fog. And losing breeds losing. That is where I fear we are at and I don't know what to do about it.

    I think the cloud over the franchise has to be weighing on the Pacers. I also think the uncertain lineups have to be weighing on the Pacers as well as the distractions off the court (or IN the court as the case may be).

    As for what to do about it... dunno...

    I think Eddie Gill has gotten the short end of the stick here and probably should be playing more. Anthony Johnson should be playing less... and some of that time probably at the 2. I think James Jones has lost some confidence and I think his shooting needs to be made a bigger part of the offense as it was when we had no choice. Croshere just needs to get healthy. But what it really needed is an energizer. Whether that is a change on the court/rotation in a way that changes the team's mindset (and fans) or whether that is bringing someone in before the trade deadline to help offset Artest's loss. But that move better work because it would be right back to once again shaking up whatever consistency the team has built up until that point. Tough call.

    I'm not totally sold that Goukas was right that the team won't make the playoffs... but I am having my doubts whether the team can shake the doldrums, put together something positive, and actually be a factor in the playoffs. I'd say Stern's ruling actually factored this in and he wanted to hurt the team long term this season (playoffs) and not just cost us some games midseason... hence JO's suspension length to begin with.

    And I do think he made the Pistons the chief benefactor in all this. This simply put the Pacers into a position to kill momentum AND wreck what the team had built in order to compete with the Pistons this season. We'd really have to do something out of character midseason to try and fix that and Walsh just doesn't make those kinds of moves nor does he have much to work with via trades anyway (Bender? Pollard? Croshere? High dollars and injured don't make for a good trading base)

    EDIT: I just realized some of you are going to say Bender is that "Energizer" that we need. While, his return and then actually being a factor could certainly be an energizer, I have a feeling the Energizer Bunny has about the same chance of being a season long factor for the team. IOW, if I have to pin my hopes on Bender then I am going to start getting very depressed.... I fear... Bender ain't happen'...

    -Bball

  23. #23
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,965

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I have to ask.

    Are you writing off the season? If you think Ron is still the answer & as of now he has 0% chance of returning this season then are you just saying ride out the season & come back strong next year?
    I really don't know Peck. I think it would be best to just use what we have when SJax comes back and see how it goes. If I am not mistaken we have got a pretty tough january on our schedule, SJax will return near the end of that month. I want to see atleast 10-15 games before I really can make up my mind. I want to see what has happenned with Bender in the meantime and how other teams respond to him and SJax playing considerable time at SF.

    Anyway, what I DO think that some people are overestimating our team for the play-offs with all due respect. Like Bball stated so clear, I too have serious doubts about the play-offs and beying able to be an important influence in the east.

    We might want to do a trade for a better SF, but that would cost us probably Bender, which we don't know for sure will be good or bad. It also hints strongly at trading Artest this season or in the summer, because otherwise we would be having 2 high quality SFs for basically the same spot, which is the start of BAD chemistry.
    Personally, I don't want to make that trade for a good SF or we would have to be getting a Marion-like player back, which would cost us massively in players and talent too. I dont know if that would be worth it. I'm leaning towards "no" though, but I haven't yet decided for sure yet.

    If we don't do that trade than I say ride out the season and see what happens in the play-offs, I am just not too positive about us making a splash. Hope we get to the 2nd round and put a great fight, and if Bender is (surprise, surprise) able to really stay healthy and score 10-13 pts per game on good shouting and play atleast some credible defense than ... who knows what happens.

    So, basically I am saying what and see, than analyze if the team needs something and if that something could realistically be got in a trade. IF that is not the case and Bender is doing fine or better, I say lets just keep it this way and see what happens in the play-offs and than lets peak next year.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  24. #24
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Strany
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I do not post often, but do read the board religously and this seems like a good one to reply to.

    I think the Pacers have not or will not change the #1 goal of the year and that is to win a championship. However I don't think that we can do that without an improved #3. I do not think Jackson will be enough to do that.

    I think the Pacers will exaust all efforts to try to get Artest's suspension reduced but
    will fail. At this point I think they will pursue someone to fill the void of Ron. Walker seems to be the best fit to me. He gives us someone who can play the 3/4, score 15+ and give us a very good rebounder. It will require giving up Fred/Bender + filler. Jackson goes back to the backup 2/3, with Austin backing up the 4 and Harrison the 5.
    The only other concern in this lineup would be Johnson as the backup 1. Hopefully he improves over the course of the season, but right now he just plain stinks.

    After the season the Pacers would have to make a decison on whether to try to resign Walker and Trade Ron or to keep Ron let Walker go and free up some Cap space.

    I will say this...I think that if the Pacers do not make a trade, they will not win a championship this year and that Ron will return next year. If the Pacers decide to keep Ron, we may look back in a couple of years and say that his suspension was the greatest thing to happen, because I really believe that Ron after seeing how close he was/is to not ever being allowed to play again, may finally get it. If he does ever finally get it.....Well that would be every other GM's greatest nightmare.
    I wouldn't trade you Fred for the fat man straight up. No way in H.

  25. #25
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: For the doubters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok the general mood & demenor of Pacers fans is down. Hey who can blame us we went from winning all of the time to now praying we can win the next three vs. sub par teams.

    What makes us feel better than anything when we are down? Well, winning of course. But short of that we love to talk about how to make us better as a team.

    This thread is for us.

    Now, for me, I am in a wierd spot. Normally I love to talk trades or who can do what for us or where a weakness is.

    But in this case I'm one of those few believers who actually thinks that Jax coming back & everybody playing together more than a few games will make us a contender again.

    Many of you think the same way, but in talking with our new resident doubting thomas Uncle Buck (obviously he needs further ghost visitations) it became clear that he firmly beleives that even with Jax we are no match for the big bad Pistons.

    I put it to him & now I put it before everybody.

    How do we correct that? Getting to the E.C. finals is not the goal. We want a title.

    What would you like to see the Pacers do to get there.

    A couple of things.

    1. Don't say bring back Ron Artest. As of now that is not a hope, maybe someday but I doubt it. So for the time being you must make your plans without Ron in mind.

    2. There has to be something. Please don't give up totall hope. Ron is a great player but just because he is gone we still can do this.

    Do you want a better Center? P.G.? S.F.? P.F.? S.G? Is coaching a problem? Do you want a deeper bench? Do you want to trade some depth for a better single player?

    Spell it out, go wild, just don't use Artest.

    Have fun.

    Get Jackson back. Get Bender back and staying healthy. Get Freddie some minutes. Sit Croshere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •