Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

I think you can still play Dempsey as a second striker or similar to what Landon did during the WC. He is certainly a little unconventional, but he just has a knack for doing great stuff with the ball and getting it into the net. If you get him running into the box with Jozy he's going to score for you. Add in Landon+Fabian and Zusi feeding it in from either side and you've got something special there
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here since the Gold Cup final. I've heard a lot of the mainstream media talking about the US 'B' team dominating weaker competition. And that's a valid point, but fact of the matter is that if the USA struggled, it would be a bigger story than them running roughshod over everyone.

It blows my mind how deep the US is in goal. The fact that Rimando is 34 and hasn't got a true shot at the #1 spot is a testament to the quality of keepers we have been churning out here. Same with Howard who didn't get his true shot until his late 20's.

It's amazing that just earlier this year there was that article with a bunch of US players taking shots at JK for his roster management and tactics. 11 straight wins later this team has forged an identity and guys who have sort of been on the fringe for awhile are starting to thrive and make a drive for next year's WC roster.

Apparently it looks like Dempsey is headed over to Seattle from Tottenham. Not sure how I feel about this. It seems like a giant letdown from playing in the PL. Not that he was getting much opportunity at Tottenham, but he would have been better off at a mid level team like back at Fulham or Everton. :/
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

While it does play into our inferiority complex as US soccer fans, I think the MLS signing Dempsey is a great thing for the league. For Dempsey, it sounded like he was open to coming back as long as he went to Seattle, LA, or Toronto. But as US soccer fans, I think we should be happy with this move and here's why.

Donovan chose to stay home in his prime years and he added a legitimacy to the league. But as US fans, we still longed for our players to head overseas. So as time goes by, you see the McBrides, Dempseys, Bradleys, Howards, Altidores, Bocanegras, etc. come up through MLS and head out across the pond. The MLS started to develop into a feeder league, of sorts. To me, this is where the league started to change (in a good way). Instead of just being our domestic league with players who couldn't cut it elsewhere, it showed that these guys could play and they honed their skills before making the international jump.

Cut to the Beckham signing. At the time, it seemed like a big time marketing ploy (and it was). Beckham proved that MLS was a league that top notch international talents were interested in, albeit on the tail end of their careers. Yes, he got paid a lot of money, but we started seeing the Henrys, the Blancos, the Keanes, the Bielers, etc. do the same.

And this brings me to Dempsey. The age of these 'big names' when they sign with MLS keeps getting younger and younger. Dempsey is still in his prime. My prediction is that much like Beckham, we will start to see guys of Dempsey's ilk make the move to MLS. Each big transaction like this continues to improve MLS.

It's not the best league in the world, but it is only 17 years old. From where it started to where it is now is remarkable, especially considering just over a decade ago, soccer specific stadiums were a pipe dream for most teams and two franchises had just been contracted.

So yes, it's disappointing that Dempsey didn't stay in Europe, but that doesn't mean his stay over there was a failure. I think this is the (another) first domino to fall and down the line, this type of move won't be seen as a head scratcher.

Hopping off my soap box now.
    Last edited by TheRyanExpress; 08-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While it does play into our inferiority complex as US soccer fans, I think the MLS signing Dempsey is a great thing for the league. For Dempsey, it sounded like he was open to coming back as long as he went to Seattle, LA, or Toronto. But as US soccer fans, I think we should be happy with this move and here's why.

Donovan chose to stay home in his prime years and he added a legitimacy to the league. But as US fans, we still longed for our players to head overseas. So as time goes by, you see the McBrides, Dempseys, Bradleys, Howards, Altidores, Bocanegras, etc. come up through MLS and head out across the pond. The MLS started to develop into a feeder league, of sorts. To me, this is where the league started to change (in a good way). Instead of just being our domestic league with players who couldn't cut it elsewhere, it showed that these guys could play and they honed their skills before making the international jump.

Cut to the Beckham signing. At the time, it seemed like a big time marketing ploy (and it was). Beckham proved that MLS was a league that top notch international talents were interested in, albeit on the tail end of their careers. Yes, he got paid a lot of money, but we started seeing the Henrys, the Blancos, the Keanes, the Bielers, etc. do the same.

And this brings me to Dempsey. The age of these 'big names' when they sign with MLS keeps getting younger and younger. Dempsey is still in his prime. My prediction is that much like Beckham, we will start to see guys of Dempsey's ilk make the move to MLS. Each big transaction like this continues to improve MLS.

It's not the best league in the world, but it is only 17 years old. From where it started to where it is now is remarkable, especially considering just over a decade ago, soccer specific stadiums were a pipe dream for most teams and two franchises had just been contracted.

So yes, it's disappointing that Dempsey didn't stay in Europe, but that doesn't mean his stay over there was a failure. I think this is the (another) first domino to fall and down the line, this type of move won't be seen as a head scratcher.

Hopping off my soap box now.
    As long as soccer is considered a second tier sport in the US the MLS will never be more than a second tier league. It is simple math, players can make more money in Europe. It will likely just be a feeder system for US talent, a place where older players come to finish their careers, and a place for those who don't want to be on the bench of a European team. That isn't a bad thing, it could still create a very exciting and intriguing league that is respected around the world, it just isn't going to be on par with the top European leagues unless soccer becomes a first tier sport in the US. The money just isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    As long as soccer is considered a second tier sport in the US the MLS will never be more than a second tier league. It is simple math, players can make more money in Europe. It will likely just be a feeder system for US talent, a place where older players come to finish their careers, and a place for those who don't want to be on the bench of a European team. That isn't a bad thing, it could still create a very exciting and intriguing league that is respected around the world, it just isn't going to be on par with the top European leagues unless soccer becomes a first tier sport in the US. The money just isn't there.
    Right now the money isn't there and I agree with you that if the league stays as a feeder league/place for international stars to cash in and wind down there careers, that still makes for a good league. I would venture to guess most of us wouldn't have predicted a decade ago that Beckham or Henry would have played in the league. Support is starting to go through the roof in several markets. I still believe we'll see some players in their prime coming to MLS at some point, though it may be down the line as the league continues to mature.

Keep in mind the guy who came back this time in his prime was an American, not a foreign born player. Certainly, it's possible more US players come back to play in their primes, but I find it difficult to believe that someone who isn't associated with the US would choose MLS over Europe when they are 28-30 years old.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jozy Altidore doing terrible things to Bosnia

http://imgur.com/AXOuCdr

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Jozy's form (for US standards) is unreal right now. I just hope Dempsey's form can stay up, because putting Jozy + Clint + Donovan on the pitch together = best attack US has ever had.

Johannsson is one of the most intriguing wildcards this team has had since Charlie Davies, too, IMO. He's making his case SO LATE in the cycle, but damn, his debut was impressive. He still has time, and I guarantee he impressed Klinsy enough to keep earning call-ups. Looking forward to watching him as USMNT wraps up CONCACAF qualifying.

Props to Brooks on his first game too. Not perfect by any stretch, but the talent is there, and the physical presence is one of the biggest plusses US has had back there since (healthy) Onyewu (granted I mean one is tall, the other is more thick).

I'm really excited to see who ends up making the final 23 by the time the WC comes around next year. I LOVE that there is so much competition and that everybody has to continue to improve or see their spot taken away.

Our 2 new guys were entertaining. Brooks is really talented, tall, and still raw. But if he continues to develop over the next year, I could see a Brooks/Besler pairing that would be very good. Johannsson was very good in his 30 or so minutes, and in my opinion, already more useful than the other backup forwards behind Jozy.

I'm very excited to see what Jozy is going to do in the Premier League this year. I hope his form continues through.

Yeah, I mostly like Johannsson as a super-sub when the team needs offense, or if they go 4-4-2 and Dempsey/Donovan aren't paired up top with Altidore, then maybe Johannsson is your guy. I don't want to overrate him based on one performance, but I dislike Eddie Johnson/Gomez/Boyd enough vs class competition to have no issues with him unseating any of those guys.

Johnson drives me crazy, in particular. Guy has a lot of skills, clearly. But he overthinks every move SO much, and ends up falling all over his feet. I've never seen a guy who passes up more shot attempts, or more attempts to cut against the grain and shoot (he could learn from Dempsey & Donovan!) than Johnson, whose preferred method is to try and spin his way through six defenders.

On BigSoccer someone made a visual depth chart back in July based on call-ups. I think it paints a good picture of what the lineup will look like for the September qualifiers and beyond.

I never noticed how Sacha Kljestan looks like Petyr Baelish. I don't trust him anymore.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

That attacking mid row is ridiculously deep. You could make an argument for every single one of them to be on the team.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    That attacking mid row is ridiculously deep. You could make an argument for every single one of them to be on the team.
    Definitely. Torres started a game in 2010 and has looked good recently. Shea's injury history might cost him a spot though.

I really would like to see better depth at fullback one day though. Yedlin is a great young player who makes MLS more exciting, but he still has a way to go before he can be a part of the conversation. Hopefully one of the U-20 guys will be ready to step up. Will Packwood might be an answer at RB one day as well.

So Bradley-Jones or Bradley-Cameron pairing?

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I never noticed how Sacha Kljestan looks like Petyr Baelish. I don't trust him anymore.
    It's the guy from the Onion who worked in an office and talked like a G

http://www.theonion.com/personalitie...kornfeld,1019/

Also, I haven't really kept up but why is Gooch so low among the CBs?

--

And what is Edgar Castillo doing

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    It's the guy from the Onion who worked in an office and talked like a G

http://www.theonion.com/personalitie...kornfeld,1019/

Also, I haven't really kept up but why is Gooch so low among the CBs?

--

And what is Edgar Castillo doing
    When Gooch tore his MCL vs. Costa Rica in 2009(the game Bornstein scored a stoppage time header to win us the hex) he never really got his mobility back.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    On BigSoccer someone made a visual depth chart back in July based on call-ups. I think it paints a good picture of what the lineup will look like for the September qualifiers and beyond.

You're on BS? What's your screen name?

PS: I think Mo is way, way too high @ CM.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Costa Rica is smoking the U.S. just 10 minutes in, beating them to every spot. The U.S. looks flat-footed and stunned. 2-0 hole already.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Dempsey bounced a PK off the keeper into the right back of the net to pull the U.S. to 2-1 in the 43' of the first half. Sorely needed there.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Much better second half play for the U.S., but they lost for the first time all summer, 3-1. Crazy night in CONCACAF, as Honduras defeated Mexico as well.

Losing Bradley killed us before the game even started. Made a huge, huge difference and probably would have completely changed the game.

No Besler, Cameron, and Altidore for Mexico, and possibly no Bradley either. That game just became tougher.

And I can't stand Orozco, not sure why he keeps getting time. He and Beasley were awful.

Should we change GKs? I feel Guzan might be a better option right now

Agree on Orozco. NO idea what JK sees in him. Him disappointing is nothing new. No great options at RB, but far better options than Orozsco.

Zusi and Dempsey were awful, not even close to full match fit. Each should have been replaced at half, or at least staggered to by 75'. Bad strategy by JK there. Where was Mix? Or put in Johannsson earlier. No way he would have played worse than Dempsey.

Jermaine Jones has had two terrible matches for USMNT back-to-back. If you told me his pass completion rate was 20%, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Heavy touches for all involved, though on terrible pitch in rain obviously.

Guzan time? I'm starting to think so.

Overall, nothing really good to say except you have to think USMNT will win 1 of its next 2 and punch the ticket.