Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

Yeah, the World Cup Draw did zero favors to the USA. They could play very well in all three group matches and come away last in their group.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, the World Cup Draw did zero favors to the USA. They could play very well in all three group matches and come away last in their group.
    I think they will beat Portugal. Everyone will lose to Germany so the Ghana game is key.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

This is a disaster.

Compare it to group E and the USA can feel hard done by. There's always one group that's absolute dirt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't believe Honduras got group E. They're only in the world cup because of us.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I think we have a good shot of getting out. While Ghana has been our personal nightmare, I think we're a much better team than before and our style of play now is better suited to beat a Ghana team. We probably won't get points against Germany, so the key is Portugal. That is a definitely winnable game, if we play how we can. I don't think we should get down on ourselves so quickly.

F*** Mexico, they get an easy draw.

Group B is as bad as ours, that's super tough. And 2nd place has to play Brazil
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

US just matches up against each team once right, and then top points move on?

If so, going to guess US hopes that 4 points and possible tiebreaker allows them to move on. Since Germany will most likely move on, they'd like to see them get the maximum 6 points from the other teams. A win over Portugal and tie over Ghana hopefully being enough if Portugal and Ghana tie against each other or Portugal winning over Ghana.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I think we have a good shot of getting out. While Ghana has been our personal nightmare, I think we're a much better team than before and our style of play now is better suited to beat a Ghana team. We probably won't get points against Germany, so the key is Portugal. That is a definitely winnable game, if we play how we can. I don't think we should get down on ourselves so quickly.

F*** Mexico, they get an easy draw.

Group B is as bad as ours, that's super tough. And 2nd place has to play Brazil
    I wouldn't say Mexico got an easy draw.

They will lose to Brazil and will do very well to beat Croatia. Croatia were extremely unlucky to have been put in the same group as Spain and Italy in the Euros and were by far the best team to have not gotten out of the groups in that tournament. They are a very good team.

Cameroon is not a guaranteed win either.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    I wouldn't say Mexico got an easy draw.

They will lose to Brazil and will do very well to beat Croatia. Croatia were extremely unlucky to have been put in the same group as Spain and Italy in the Euros and were by far the best team to have not gotten out of the groups in that tournament. They are a very good team.

Cameroon is not a guaranteed win either.
    I don't expect Mexico to get out. Certainly not how they've been playing.

I'm excited for the WC. This should be a lot of fun.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Australia is going to get pummeled. In with Spain, Netherlands and Chile. That group is tougher than ours. . . If someone on the US takes out Pepe with a well-timed knee to the groinadial area, I will consider it a victory.
    Last edited by McClintic Sphere; 12-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.

USA vs Mexico. We looked excellent in the first half, reaffirming that Bradley is the single most important player on USMNT. Excellent passing and spacing in the first half. Second half was pretty much the opposite. Defense is going to be a major issue in the world cup for sure. EJ should have gotten that goal, and Green made his debut and did a good job for a first game. He should have gotten a free kick outside the box.

Wondo and EJ made cases for themselves, should be interesting how this goes

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

USA vs Mexico. We looked excellent in the first half, reaffirming that Bradley is the single most important player on USMNT. Excellent passing and spacing in the first half. Second half was pretty much the opposite. Defense is going to be a major issue in the world cup for sure. EJ should have gotten that goal, and Green made his debut and did a good job for a first game. He should have gotten a free kick outside the box.

Wondo and EJ made cases for themselves, should be interesting how this goes
    It's a shame Bradley signed with TFC. I'm ok with him being in MLS, but not TFC.

Doesn't matter who the USMNT puts at centre back. They're boned there. They just don't have anyone good in the pool. When Besler is your best option, you're toast.

I don't mean to be all negative with the squad. I think a lot of their recent performances have left sour tastes because Michael Bradley hadn't played, but you can see what an astounding difference he makes when he does play. I don't think the USMNT really has world-class anything for Brazil, but I think their midfield will be class enough to make matches interesting. Just too many questions on the backline, and the form of attackers up top, to really have confidence that they'll do anything in an early Group of Death.

Problem is, with a backline that bad, they may have to park the bus more than they'd like, which will squander creativity going forward.

Long-term, I still like the direction of the team. I think Johansson and Yedlin have clear spots for the Nats going forward, and really excited to see Yedlin blossom in particular because it's a new element throwing in that kind of speed and counterattack possibility at RB. I would sure think Julian Green is trending in the right direction too, though the sample size is much too small to declare anything there. So even if the USMNT flops in Brazil, as I expect, I won't be too down on them, as I like where a lot of their positions are trending for 2018.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That disallowed goal though :/

I think that the first half was an absolutely dominating showing, playing like that you are very hard to beat, just seems the second half they got maybe a little over confident in themselves and let off the gas.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

It was Gonzalez's fault for both goals. Hopefully Cameron can play CB with Yedlin at RB.

I highly doubt Yedlin will make the 23 man roster for the WC, there are more experienced options ahead of him. He's still shaky as a defender, though his forward movement is very good.

Cameron is a wild card, he can play everywhere. He should be starting because he's too good to leave out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

I highly doubt Yedlin will make the 23 man roster for the WC, there are more experienced options ahead of him. He's still shaky as a defender, though his forward movement is very good.

Cameron is a wild card, he can play everywhere. He should be starting because he's too good to leave out.
    I agree re: Yedlin. I think he's a strong play for 2018...this is just too soon for him.

It's probably too soon for Green, too, but I have a feeling promises were made to get that commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    It was Gonzalez's fault for both goals. Hopefully Cameron can play CB with Yedlin at RB.
    I find Gonzalez is a physically-imposing CB with a terrific skillset and the capacity to play good games. But his awareness is just...not...there. Guy sees the game like a 12-year-old. Reminds me of the more talented kids I coach at that level, who can always be got because they just don't see things developing in front of them yet.

Gonzalez has never been the same since he went to Nuremberg and got hurt. The problem is that there really aren't many other options. Parkhurst did look good though. He could be an option, although I like him as a defensive superstar.

Cameron will be the starter at RB or CB. No way he's not starting. He's like Fabian Johnson with versatility except Cameron has had a great club season as well.