Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119

Thread: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,018

    Default CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Today is a busy day for World Cup Qualifying.

    Honduras vs Mexico 5:00
    USA vs Costa Rica 10:00
    Jamaica vs Panama 9:00

    Obviously I am hoping the USA will win, and it is unlikely they won't in my opinion.

    The big game though is Honduras vs Mexico. In which case I am rooting for Honduras. I was hoping to watch this game, sadly though it is only on Telemundo and I do not get Telemundo.

    Jamaica and Panama, who cares.


    So cheers to all, lets party and enjoy some soccer.

    Viva La Honduras!!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    This is an absolute must-win for us. I'm nervous because that backline Klinnsman called in is very suspect. The midfield and forwards look nice but it won't matter with our backup goalie and a suspect backline. Since we'll lose @Mexico we can't be 3 games in with 0 or 1 points.

  3. #3
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    That was ugly, but a much needed 3 points!
    @qandrews9428

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was ugly, but a much needed 3 points!
    Agreed, I am surprised they played in that weather.

    I was glad to see Honduras come back and tie the game, still disappointing though.

  5. #5
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I was very glad to see the referee listen to the players who wanted to play. It was the right decision to let them play, because there was no danger to the players and even the Costa Ricans wanted to continue the game. Much needed three points, and now we are back on track for the World Cup. We are in second place in the hex, and back in business. Next stop, Azteca.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  6. #6

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    That was an epic game because of the conditions. Refereeing was awful and it was hard to tell if players were playing well in that weather. We got the 3 points we needed and for now we are above Mexico in the standings!

  7. #7

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    I don't see us getting any points against Mexico, but these points we needed to have
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  8. #8
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Who's bright idea was it to play the match in Denver in March? Were all the fields in North and South Dakota already booked?

  9. #9
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,845

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who's bright idea was it to play the match in Denver in March? Were all the fields in North and South Dakota already booked?
    they wanted to play in altitude to prepare for their match in mexico city.

  10. #10

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Costa Rica has filed a formal protest.

    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/13...replay?cc=5901

    whiners.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  11. #11
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    HUGE POINT! Even though that was def a pen.
    @qandrews9428

  12. #12

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Minus the obvious penalty, that was a well-earned point by the US. Omar and Besler were absolutely terrific tonight, and Bradley was as well. Great job
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  13. #13

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    That was great. 4 points in the first 3 games was my reasonable expectations. Mexico is in a tough position. They dropped 4 points at home. The US just needs to protect our home and we'll get in easily.

  14. #14

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Great June for USMNT. Played well against a B Germany squad and nabbed all 9 points from qualifiers, and looked pretty decent doing so. Jozy is finally playing like he is capable of on the national team. Still need some work overall, but we're looking much better than our first world cup qualifying loss at Honduras.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  15. #15
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Great creativity from the wing is allowing Jozy to be Jozy and phsyically man handle 1 on 1 matchups. Great, encouraging stuff this month. Team looks better than it has in a while.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  16. #16

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Just realized there was a CONCACAF thread here. USMNT is only 2nd to the first-place three-way tie of Pacers/Colts/Hoosiers for me

    We can talk about Jozy's surge, and it has been great. We can talk about Besler finding a groove, Zusi really developing into a great service role, Fabian Johnson's catalyzing ability down the touch line, etc. But to me, it all begins and ends with Michael Bradley, the most talented player on the squad. When Bradley plays going forward, the Nats have great potential. When he's more conservative or sits back, the offensive bogs. His awareness, ball skills and general ability to direct traffic from a midfield role is unparalleled on this roster.

    Unfortunately, too often, Jones plays up and Bradley plays back. If Klinsy can consistently reverse that dynamic, this squad will be solid.

  17. #17

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just realized there was a CONCACAF thread here. USMNT is only 2nd to the first-place three-way tie of Pacers/Colts/Hoosiers for me

    We can talk about Jozy's surge, and it has been great. We can talk about Besler finding a groove, Zusi really developing into a great service role, Fabian Johnson's catalyzing ability down the touch line, etc. But to me, it all begins and ends with Michael Bradley, the most talented player on the squad. When Bradley plays going forward, the Nats have great potential. When he's more conservative or sits back, the offensive bogs. His awareness, ball skills and general ability to direct traffic from a midfield role is unparalleled on this roster.

    Unfortunately, too often, Jones plays up and Bradley plays back. If Klinsy can consistently reverse that dynamic, this squad will be solid.
    Jones might be one of the 3 best players on the team, but I think we play better when Cameron is in his position. Cameron complements Bradley better.

  18. #18
    Member TheRyanExpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Illi-noise
    Posts
    165

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    As an SKC fan, so happy to see Zusi get his due. He and Jozy have teamed up for a few really nice goals.

    Looking forward to the Gold Cup coming up, as well.

  19. #19

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jones might be one of the 3 best players on the team, but I think we play better when Cameron is in his position. Cameron complements Bradley better.
    I'd have to see a way bigger sample size with Cameron at CM to make that call, but I don't disagree at all with the assertion that Jones prevents the USMNT from getting 100% best use of skill from their best player.

  20. #20

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As an SKC fan, so happy to see Zusi get his due. He and Jozy have teamed up for a few really nice goals.

    Looking forward to the Gold Cup coming up, as well.
    It will be interesting to see what form Landon Donovan is in. He would have to show A LOT to make the WC roster at this point, IMO. Not that the current USMNT is great or anything, but everyone at every position he could slide into seems to have a pretty firm hold at the moment.

  21. #21

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    I fully expect Landon to make the team next year, his creativity in getting the ball into dangerous scoring positions is valuable. The person I'm looking forward to the most is Stu Holden. I think if he can get back to full fitness and he shows the same creativity he did in this last friendly, a Bradley/Holden pairing in midfield would be a dangerous duo
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  22. #22
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will be interesting to see what form Landon Donovan is in. He would have to show A LOT to make the WC roster at this point, IMO. Not that the current USMNT is great or anything, but everyone at every position he could slide into seems to have a pretty firm hold at the moment.
    He looks pretty damn good in the past two matches. Granted comp is way sub par, but still his set piece feeds look strong and he just looks really engaged.

    Klinnsman is really getting his style installed and the team is starting to get healthy. We have more depth than we have had in a long time.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  23. #23

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He looks pretty damn good in the past two matches. Granted comp is way sub par, but still his set piece feeds look strong and he just looks really engaged.

    Klinnsman is really getting his style installed and the team is starting to get healthy. We have more depth than we have had in a long time.
    I love what he's doing to the culture of this team. Nobody gets free passes, everybody has to earn their spot on the team, including Donovan. It makes for great competition and increases the level of play and players on the USMNT. I think this is going to be good for Donovan in the long run, because it'll light a fire under his *** and get him to play the way he's capable of. There's no reason to think he won't be starting next year in Brazil.

    And I love seeing Holden play well the last couple games. He needs to continue to get minutes (and eventually start here in the GC). I think if he continues to play like he's capable of, he will end up in the starting 11 next year as well. He ability to find the open man and seams is tremendous and a pairing with Bradley would be dynamic.

    For now I see:

    ----------Altidore----------
    Zusi-----Dempsey------Donovan
    -----Bradley------Holden-------
    F Johnson--Besler---Gonzalez---Cherundolo
    -----------Howard/Guzan-----------

    I think this is subject to change depending on how people play over the course of the next year, but that's a pretty strong lineup. Still hoping for someone better at RB, and I honestly would prefer Fabian at L mid because he's super deadly with service into the box, but that's not too bad at all.

    It'll be interesting who ends up at GK. I know it's crazy to think Howard may not start, but with Moyes leaving Everton and them signing a 23 GK, it's possible Howard may not be the #1. Plus Guzan's been terrific while Howard hasn't been quite as good as he was. But like I said, a year is a long time.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  24. #24
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    Having to pick between Timmy and Guzan is a decent problem to have.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  25. #25

    Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

    So...yeah. Donovan had to show a lot. Donovan has shown a lot. I don't overreact to much against Cuba, Belize, etc. but I think you can safely pencil Donovan somewhere in the starting XI. Question is if he and Zusi are in the same starting XI, or if that lends itself to a lineup JK even wants.

Similar Threads

  1. FIBA hopes to lure NBA stars to WCup qualifiers [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM
  2. Wolves decline qualifiers for Beasley, Randolph [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 09:00 PM
  3. 2010 World Cup: World Cup draws Kobe Bryant to South Africa [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 08:10 PM
  4. 2007 FIBA Olympic qualifiers thread
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 247
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
  5. Herrmann, like Ginobili, to skip Argentina qualifiers (ESPN.com)
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •