Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

Default CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

Today is a busy day for World Cup Qualifying.

Honduras vs Mexico 5:00
    USA vs Costa Rica 10:00
    Jamaica vs Panama 9:00

Obviously I am hoping the USA will win, and it is unlikely they won't in my opinion.

The big game though is Honduras vs Mexico. In which case I am rooting for Honduras. I was hoping to watch this game, sadly though it is only on Telemundo and I do not get Telemundo.

Jamaica and Panama, who cares.

So cheers to all, lets party and enjoy some soccer.

Viva La Honduras!!!

Default Re: CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

This is an absolute must-win for us. I'm nervous because that backline Klinnsman called in is very suspect. The midfield and forwards look nice but it won't matter with our backup goalie and a suspect backline. Since we'll lose @Mexico we can't be 3 games in with 0 or 1 points.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was ugly, but a much needed 3 points!
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was ugly, but a much needed 3 points!
    Agreed, I am surprised they played in that weather.

I was glad to see Honduras come back and tie the game, still disappointing though.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was very glad to see the referee listen to the players who wanted to play. It was the right decision to let them play, because there was no danger to the players and even the Costa Ricans wanted to continue the game. Much needed three points, and now we are back on track for the World Cup. We are in second place in the hex, and back in business. Next stop, Azteca.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

That was an epic game because of the conditions. Refereeing was awful and it was hard to tell if players were playing well in that weather. We got the 3 points we needed and for now we are above Mexico in the standings!

I don't see us getting any points against Mexico, but these points we needed to have
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Who's bright idea was it to play the match in Denver in March? Were all the fields in North and South Dakota already booked?

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Who's bright idea was it to play the match in Denver in March? Were all the fields in North and South Dakota already booked?
    they wanted to play in altitude to prepare for their match in mexico city.

Costa Rica has filed a formal protest.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/13...replay?cc=5901

whiners.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

HUGE POINT! Even though that was def a pen.
    @qandrews9428

Minus the obvious penalty, that was a well-earned point by the US. Omar and Besler were absolutely terrific tonight, and Bradley was as well. Great job
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

That was great. 4 points in the first 3 games was my reasonable expectations. Mexico is in a tough position. They dropped 4 points at home. The US just needs to protect our home and we'll get in easily.

Great June for USMNT. Played well against a B Germany squad and nabbed all 9 points from qualifiers, and looked pretty decent doing so. Jozy is finally playing like he is capable of on the national team. Still need some work overall, but we're looking much better than our first world cup qualifying loss at Honduras.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great creativity from the wing is allowing Jozy to be Jozy and phsyically man handle 1 on 1 matchups. Great, encouraging stuff this month. Team looks better than it has in a while.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Just realized there was a CONCACAF thread here. USMNT is only 2nd to the first-place three-way tie of Pacers/Colts/Hoosiers for me

We can talk about Jozy's surge, and it has been great. We can talk about Besler finding a groove, Zusi really developing into a great service role, Fabian Johnson's catalyzing ability down the touch line, etc. But to me, it all begins and ends with Michael Bradley, the most talented player on the squad. When Bradley plays going forward, the Nats have great potential. When he's more conservative or sits back, the offensive bogs. His awareness, ball skills and general ability to direct traffic from a midfield role is unparalleled on this roster.

Unfortunately, too often, Jones plays up and Bradley plays back. If Klinsy can consistently reverse that dynamic, this squad will be solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Just realized there was a CONCACAF thread here. USMNT is only 2nd to the first-place three-way tie of Pacers/Colts/Hoosiers for me

We can talk about Jozy's surge, and it has been great. We can talk about Besler finding a groove, Zusi really developing into a great service role, Fabian Johnson's catalyzing ability down the touch line, etc. But to me, it all begins and ends with Michael Bradley, the most talented player on the squad. When Bradley plays going forward, the Nats have great potential. When he's more conservative or sits back, the offensive bogs. His awareness, ball skills and general ability to direct traffic from a midfield role is unparalleled on this roster.

Unfortunately, too often, Jones plays up and Bradley plays back. If Klinsy can consistently reverse that dynamic, this squad will be solid.
    Jones might be one of the 3 best players on the team, but I think we play better when Cameron is in his position. Cameron complements Bradley better.

As an SKC fan, so happy to see Zusi get his due. He and Jozy have teamed up for a few really nice goals.

Looking forward to the Gold Cup coming up, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Jones might be one of the 3 best players on the team, but I think we play better when Cameron is in his position. Cameron complements Bradley better.
    I'd have to see a way bigger sample size with Cameron at CM to make that call, but I don't disagree at all with the assertion that Jones prevents the USMNT from getting 100% best use of skill from their best player.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    As an SKC fan, so happy to see Zusi get his due. He and Jozy have teamed up for a few really nice goals.

Looking forward to the Gold Cup coming up, as well.
    It will be interesting to see what form Landon Donovan is in. He would have to show A LOT to make the WC roster at this point, IMO. Not that the current USMNT is great or anything, but everyone at every position he could slide into seems to have a pretty firm hold at the moment.

I fully expect Landon to make the team next year, his creativity in getting the ball into dangerous scoring positions is valuable. The person I'm looking forward to the most is Stu Holden. I think if he can get back to full fitness and he shows the same creativity he did in this last friendly, a Bradley/Holden pairing in midfield would be a dangerous duo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    It will be interesting to see what form Landon Donovan is in. He would have to show A LOT to make the WC roster at this point, IMO. Not that the current USMNT is great or anything, but everyone at every position he could slide into seems to have a pretty firm hold at the moment.
    He looks pretty damn good in the past two matches. Granted comp is way sub par, but still his set piece feeds look strong and he just looks really engaged.

Klinnsman is really getting his style installed and the team is starting to get healthy. We have more depth than we have had in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    He looks pretty damn good in the past two matches. Granted comp is way sub par, but still his set piece feeds look strong and he just looks really engaged.

Klinnsman is really getting his style installed and the team is starting to get healthy. We have more depth than we have had in a long time.
    I love what he's doing to the culture of this team. Nobody gets free passes, everybody has to earn their spot on the team, including Donovan. It makes for great competition and increases the level of play and players on the USMNT. I think this is going to be good for Donovan in the long run, because it'll light a fire under his *** and get him to play the way he's capable of. There's no reason to think he won't be starting next year in Brazil.

And I love seeing Holden play well the last couple games. He needs to continue to get minutes (and eventually start here in the GC). I think if he continues to play like he's capable of, he will end up in the starting 11 next year as well. He ability to find the open man and seams is tremendous and a pairing with Bradley would be dynamic.

For now I see:

----------Altidore----------
    Zusi-----Dempsey------Donovan
    -----Bradley------Holden-------
    F Johnson--Besler---Gonzalez---Cherundolo
    -----------Howard/Guzan-----------

I think this is subject to change depending on how people play over the course of the next year, but that's a pretty strong lineup. Still hoping for someone better at RB, and I honestly would prefer Fabian at L mid because he's super deadly with service into the box, but that's not too bad at all.

It'll be interesting who ends up at GK. I know it's crazy to think Howard may not start, but with Moyes leaving Everton and them signing a 23 GK, it's possible Howard may not be the #1. Plus Guzan's been terrific while Howard hasn't been quite as good as he was. But like I said, a year is a long time.

Having to pick between Timmy and Guzan is a decent problem to have.

So...yeah. Donovan had to show a lot. Donovan has shown a lot. I don't overreact to much against Cuba, Belize, etc. but I think you can safely pencil Donovan somewhere in the starting XI. Question is if he and Zusi are in the same starting XI, or if that lends itself to a lineup JK even wants.