Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: 2013 NCAA Tournament Thread

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 NCAA Tournament Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IU's pre-conference schedule wasn't soft last season.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    As a college ball fan I would love to see IU vs UL. A border war type tourney would be fantastic. UK, UL, IU, WKU, Purdue, and Butler would be cool
    I don't think Western Kentucky offers anything to Purdue, IU, or Butler.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I grew up in the part of Indiana near Louisville. There are tons of IU, UK, and UL fans down there, so I heard quite a bit about the two Kentucky teams growing up. After these two recent championships by UK and UL, all I can say is that it's time for IU to go on a deep tournament run.

Pitino in 12 years at Louisville: Five Elite 8's, three Final Four's, one national championship. All of those have come since the 2004-2005 season.

We need to schedule a series with Louisville. You have to play the best if you want to beat the best. Pitino has said he'd gladly play us:

With Indiana seemingly back, strong fan presences for both schools in southern Indiana and just 90 miles separating the campuses in Bloomington and Louisville, could the Hoosiers and Cardinals resume a series after not playing for ten years?

“I said to Tom, whenever he’s ready and he gets back to where he wants to be, we’d love to play,” Pitino said. “So it’s strictly his call. I’m sure he’s got enough tough games on his schedule that he may or may not want to do it. Certainly we’d love to do it.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/colleg...eries/10312519

I remember when we played Louisville in 01-02 and 02-03. We split those two games with each team winning at home. IIRC, Davis was the one who ended the series.

Pitino and Cal got close before they won it all. I expect Crean will improve and learn from this season.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I don't think Western Kentucky offers anything to Purdue, IU, or Butler.
    It offers more chances for commentators to talk about how Crean married a Harbaugh.

-Lance Stephenson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    How long did it take you to find that? Sad, really. IU played a schedule that included three tourney teams. If it was so soft it certainly had no impact on the team going into conference play. They started 8-1.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    It offers more chances for commentators to talk about how Crean married a Harbaugh.
    Another unnecessary potshot. Is there nothing going on in the Butler thread?
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 04-09-2013 at 09:29 PM.

How long did it take you to find that? Sad, really.
    It only took me 53 minutes to get it ripped off my Blu-Ray of Iron Man 2.

-Lance Stephenson

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

How long did it take you to find that? Sad, really. IU played a schedule that included three tourney teams. If it was so soft it certainly had no impact on the team going into conference play. They started 8-1.
    It was a very weak non-conference schedule. I expect next year's non-con schedule to be similar (with good reason).

Big games in the non-conference are good for the exposure of the program. Keeps you on TV, keeps you on the minds of all the recruits you are trying to impress, and keeps the media talking about you.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It was a very weak non-conference schedule. I expect next year's non-con schedule to be similar (with good reason).

Big games in the non-conference are good for the exposure of the program. Keeps you on TV, keeps you on the minds of all the recruits you are trying to impress, and keeps the media talking about you.
    IU played UNC and Georgetown on ESPN and Butler on CBS. When you play in the Big Ten you get plenty of national media exposure.

IU played UNC and Georgetown on ESPN and Butler on CBS. When you play in the Big Ten you get plenty of national media exposure.
    UNC wasn't that good this year, Georgetown at the time wasn't even a top 25 team, that win only became good after they figured things out later in the year, and Butler has more local appeal than national appeal. If your last statement was true, then why would Michigan State schedule hard every year? Why would any of these teams do it? Big games are smart for everyone. Beating the hell out of cupcakes is something everyone can do.

UNC wasn't that good this year, Georgetown at the time wasn't even a top 25 team, that win only became good after they figured things out later in the year, and Butler has more local appeal than national appeal. If your last statement was true, then why would Michigan State schedule hard every year? Why would any of these teams do it? Big games are smart for everyone. Beating the hell out of cupcakes is something everyone can do.
    Michigan State didn't play a brutal non-conference schedule. They played Kansas (a good team), UCONN (meh), and Miami (which was scheduled for them). I guess you could throw in Boise State who technically made the tourney as a quality foe.

I am not staying IU played a hard nonconference schedule but I thought in the end it turned out to have several quality teams and had no negative impact on the team's performance in conference play.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 04-09-2013 at 09:42 PM.

So proud of my girls.

Sad to see Kelly Faris graduate. I'd like to see her on the Fever (I bet that's where she'd like to be), but I just don't think she'll fall that far in the draft.

Louisville women had an amazing run. Schimmel had a fantastic tournament and is a really fun player to watch..Kelly just does that to players.

Georgetown at the time wasn't even a top 25 team, that win only became good after they figured things out later in the year....
    I seem to recall them moving into the top 25 immediately after losing a close game to IU, and them never leaving the top 25 thereafter.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I seem to recall them moving into the top 25 immediately after losing a close game to IU, and them never leaving the top 25 thereafter.
    Context is key. They moved into the top 25 immediately after beating a clearly overrated UCLA team and then pushing us (at the time, #1 in the nation) into overtime. They were a top 25 team the rest of the season, but didn't rise up into a top 10 type of team until later on. Point being, at the time the game was played, it was not seen as a marquee game by nearly anyone.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Michigan State didn't play a brutal non-conference schedule. They played Kansas (a good team), UCONN (meh), and Miami (which was scheduled for them). I guess you could throw in Boise State who technically made the tourney as a quality foe.

I am not staying IU played a hard nonconference schedule but I thought in the end it turned out to have several quality teams and had no negative impact on the team's performance in conference play.
    Why does IU get the credit for playing a mediocre North Carolina team in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, but Michigan State gets knocked for playing the team that won the conference regular season and tournament, because it "was scheduled for them?"

They played Georgetown, Butler, and a down North Carolina. Fine. A few decent games, and a whole smorgasbord of crap beyond it. They played way, way too many cupcakes (Bryant University, North Dakota State, Sam Houston State, Ball State, Coppin State, Central Connecticut State, Mount St. Mary's, Florida Atlantic, Jacksonville... woah that's a bunch) for anyone to truly believe their non-conference schedule did anything to help them.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    Pitino and Cal got close before they won it all. I expect Crean will improve and learn from this season.

True, but IU wasn't even "close" this year. Pitino had a Final Four last year with this team and then took the next step this season by winning the National Championship. Calipari went to the Elite 8 and Final Four in his first two seasons at UK before winning it all a year ago. Your point is certainly valid, but IU has to make it out of the Sweet 16 before we can start talking championship.

I don't see the need to beef up the nonconference schedule beyond what it is now. IU plays in the 2k Sports Classic, the Crossroads Classic, and the Big Ten/ACC Challenge next year already.

The same people that complain about a supposed "soft" nonconference schedule are the first to call for the coach to be fired if the team goes into conference play with 3 or 4 losses.
    I wouldn't criticize the coach for losing against Louisville. Playing against a true elite like Louisville would be a great learning experience for the team. As we saw against Syracuse, elite basketball does in fact exist outside of the Big 10 and it's important to get experience against it. Plus we'd beat them sooner or later anyway. We should take Pitino up on his offer ASAP. It's silly to not play a school with rich basketball history that is located just 90 miles away, especially when you don't have UK anymore.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-10-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Because Crean could have jumped at the opportunity right then and there, but didn't.

I think Kansas is more realistic because we don't have the Big Ten/ACC issue with them, both schools could use an A-list home and home series, and it sounds like fun.
    My college buddies and I have already decided that if IU plays at the Phog we are getting the best tickets we can regardless of cost and making the trip.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Why does IU get the credit for playing a mediocre North Carolina team in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, but Michigan State gets knocked for playing the team that won the conference regular season and tournament, because it "was scheduled for them?"

They played Georgetown, Butler, and a down North Carolina. Fine. A few decent games, and a whole smorgasbord of crap beyond it. They played way, way too many cupcakes (Bryant University, North Dakota State, Sam Houston State, Ball State, Coppin State, Central Connecticut State, Mount St. Mary's, Florida Atlantic, Jacksonville... woah that's a bunch) for anyone to truly believe their non-conference schedule did anything to help them.
    This is my main beef, I don't know how many more "premier" games Indiana needs to add. In most years, Gtown, Butler, UNC, plus what should have been the UK game is a lot of premier matchups, but I would like to see us replace half of those cupcakes with more MVC/A-10 type teams. Playing these kind of mid level teams exposes you to lots of different styles.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 04-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    True, but IU wasn't even "close" this year. Pitino had a Final Four last year with this team and then took the next step this season by winning the National Championship. Calipari went to the Elite 8 and Final Four in his first two seasons at UK before winning it all a year ago. Your point is certainly valid, but IU has to make it out of the Sweet 16 before we can start talking championship.
    The second weekend is important though. Like I said making the sweet 16 multiple years in a row is nothing to sneeze at. Ohio State has the longest current streak in the country of sweet 16s and it is only 4 in a row. If you can make it there you are really giving yourself a chance to make it to the FF. Just ask Syracuse or even Michigan depending on how your bracket breaks and opens up, it's hugely important in March.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    My college buddies and I have already decided that if IU plays at the Phog we are getting the best tickets we can regardless of cost and making the trip.
    Two of the best home courts in basketball. Kansas may need a few more marquee non conference games due to the putridity of the Big 12.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Two of the best home courts in basketball. Kansas may need a few more marquee non conference games due to the putridity of the Big 12.
    I imagine Kansas would jump at the opportunity really, the Big 12 is never any good and it's going to be pretty damn terrible next year