Thread: ESPN suspends Bill Simmons from Twitter after First Take criticism

Default ESPN suspends Bill Simmons from Twitter after First Take criticism

I find this hilarious

http://deadspin.com/espn-suspends-bi...ium=socialflow

ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons From Twitter After First Take Criticism

Bill Simmons Calls The Bayless-Sherman First Take Meltdown "Awful And Embarrassing"
    It's been a while, but Bill Simmons has finally weighed in on something ESPN. Naturally, it's the... Read…
    RQ
    Apparently Bill Simmons is not beyond reproach.

ESPN has suspended Simmons from Twitter for a few days after he called the Skip Bayless-Richard Sherman First Take meltdown last week awful and embarrassing. An ESPN source told me that the tweets violated ESPN's social media guidelines; Simmons was told to lie low for a few days. He hasn't tweeted since Tuesday Monday, and he'll apparently be allowed to return to Twitter tomorrow, making it a three-day hiatus. An ESPN spokesman declined comment, and Simmons didn't respond to an email.

Here are two tweets that got him into trouble. "Nobody won," he wrote. "Everyone lost. Including ESPN." Big words, and the tweets felt like a flashpoint for a show that's used to withering criticism, but not from ESPN's own—and certainly not from Simmons, one of the most powerful guys at the network.

But ESPN wouldn't be ESPN if it didn't punish a guy for being inconveniently correct. (Well, mostly. Sherman won. Bayless and First Take lost. Which means we won, too.) A few eagle-eyed readers emailed us to say that something seemed off. Simmons did not tweet out anything yesterday, nor did he tweet on Tuesday. Today, he was quiet again, except for a retweeted link from Grantland. This is not normal. He tweeted every single day in February, January, December, and November, skipping out on Twitter just once, on Feb. 7. SportsCenter could make a little graph showing just how prolific he is. Though Simmons has stayed off Twitter, he has certainly been keeping up with Facebook, posting about Wes Welker, a story he wrote, a blog post written about him, and a video of his dog.

Simmons was expected to make a trip out to New York this week for a sort of Grantland East brainstorming session, but he backed out over the weekend, we're told. He also didn't appear on NBA Countdown last night, though that was apparently previously scheduled.

Simmons has run into trouble with ESPN's Twitter police before. In 2009, he called a Boston Radio network—and an ESPN Radio affiliate—"deceitful scumbags" on Twitter, and he got a two week suspension from using it. He was on the tail end of a book tour then, so he was still "allowed" to tweet about the book, just as he was apparently allowed to retweet a Grantland link today. Know more? Email me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN suspends Bill Simmons from Twitter after First Take criticism

I was wondering why he wasn't tweeting about Wes Welker.

ESPN is so lame.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I can't believe there are people out there who actually take notice and write to a news-ish website that a sports writer hasn't tweeted in several days. Then that website actually decides to go and investigate.

And I don't think this makes EPSN Lame. Mr. Simmons shouldn't bite the hand that feeds him. Its company policy everywhere in media to now make derogatory statements about the company you work for.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm glad Simmons spoke out and I hope he does again. First Take is garbage. Listen to your good writers ESPN.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

ESPN needs Bill Simmons more than Simmons needs ESPN.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn't disagree more. ESPN's a behemoth and will forever continue to be so. ESPN's happy to have Simmons in their stable, don't get me wrong, but Simmons would still be some random Boston blogger if ESPN hadn't hired him. Not to mention that Grantland wouldn't exist without ESPN money.

Anyway, I hope people have been watching Bill Walton during the (ESPN broadcasted) Pac 12 tourney. He's made multiple veiled references to how stupid this and First Take are. I freaking love Walton.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Bayless and Stephen A need to disappear completely. Garbage television but I guess they fit right in during this age of garbage TV.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

meh, neither really need the other. ESPN will go on being huge cause there is no stopping them. Simmons is good enough and well known enough to establish his own brand. I hope we see him go on his own soon, like Dan Patrick did. the ESPN president told Patrick that he would never be successful after leaving ESPN, guess he was wrong lol.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    meh, neither really need the other. ESPN will go on being huge cause there is no stopping them. Simmons is good enough and well known enough to establish his own brand. I hope we see him go on his own soon, like Dan Patrick did. the ESPN president told Patrick that he would never be successful after leaving ESPN, guess he was wrong lol.
    I have no problems with the "Bill Simmons Show" joining Dan Patrick on the DirecTv Audience channel....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

If some other sports network truly wanted to make a run at ESPN... they'd get Bill Simmons in their fold.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does ESPN seriously not realize that this makes them look far worse than Simmons's comments did?

I really hope FOX kicks their ***.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    If some other sports network truly wanted to make a run at ESPN... they'd get Bill Simmons in their fold.
    i imagine Fox/NBC/CBS will all try. But in the end it comes down to Simmons and if he will take less money to go there. ESPN will spend all the $$$$ they can to keep him imo. Sure he got suspended from Twitter here, but they really do bend over backwards for the guy. They always increase his content and push him more and more.

i imagine Fox/NBC/CBS will all try. But in the end it comes down to Simmons and if he will take less money to go there. ESPN will spend all the $$$$ they can to keep him imo. Sure he got suspended from Twitter here, but they really do bend over backwards for the guy. They always increase his content and push him more and more.
    If he left ESPN, he would have to leave Grantland too. That's his baby--it ain't happenin'.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    If he left ESPN, he would have to leave Grantland too. That's his baby--it ain't happenin'.
    it wouldn't surprise me if ESPN gave him the money to do Grantland to keep him there.

it wouldn't surprise me if ESPN gave him the money to do Grantland to keep him there.
    Oh I'm sure. He alluded in columns to wanting to do something like Grantland for a long time, and he could have found the capital to get it done without them had he wanted, but ESPN wisely ponied up.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    ESPN's a behemoth and will forever continue to be so.
    Because this mentality has really worked out for the newpaper industry and media in general.

Point taken. Obviously, the site as is needs the corporate money. (We'll see what's up in 5-10 years.) But if BS wanted to break away and form Simmons Gladwell Klosterman Pryce, he could definitely do it. (Andrew Sullivan looks like he might make it, and dude is not as major as Simmons.)

Because this mentality has really worked out for the newpaper industry and media in general.

Point taken. Obviously, the site as is needs the corporate money. (We'll see what's up in 5-10 years.) But if BS wanted to break away and form Simmons Gladwell Klosterman Pryce, he could definitely do it. (Andrew Sullivan looks like he might make it, and dude is not as major as Simmons.)
    oh he definitely could do it. thats why i brought up Dan Patrick, who did it. But its much easier the way it is now. Simmons has a sweet gig right now. And he knows it.

I could not agree more with what Simmons said. First Take is just the Jerry Springer of Sports television.

Simmons is not going anywhere though because of Grantland. That is his baby and ESPN is probably using Grantland as the way to keep him in house and not going somewhere else. I doubt many other places would have the financials to do what they are doing at Grantland.

I would love for him to get away from ESPN, but I doubt he will given the financials of the situation.